Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:16 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seagull's "Dual Ace"

Ed was just a little faster…yep you have plenty of space.

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 04-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

I think you can easily make longer gear. I would use 3/16 wire. On my twins that came with 5/32, the gear always started to bend and I have replaced them with the larger size.

Larger engines are a good idea if you have to add weight. The weather looks like it is getting spring like so I'll be flying mine more and I'll also be taking some of the weight out of the nose. Lighter weight, including lighter engines will always be better than just gross power. Wing loading, power-to-weight, is the what you want to get down for good performance. A couple of plain bearing .61s like the OS FPs, or even the .65LAs, with 11-7 props would work without a new gear. the ball bearing .61's would be happier with a 12" prop. At least the older OS .61SF I have likes a 12-7.

My weight and battery is just shoved up next to the forward bulkhead and held in with a piece of Coroplast. I plan on moving the battery into the nose cone.

I wonder if you went pull-pull on rudder and maybe elevators if that would let you lose the lead? The pattern guys use pull-pull a lot. I think I'll ask one of them on doing 2 elevators to see if there are any pitfalls.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I just ordered a Dual ACE and an extra LA .46, it will be powered by two LA .46s converted to Diesel, more when I get it.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:17 PM
G-Pete

Well, the OS 61 FP are the engine which I use I had to add 11oz to balance at with a CG @ 85mm
To accomplish this I put a 6v 2700mA battery and 6oz of weight in the nose. I build a tray which holds both components.

Soon I will install retracts, the weight will be gone – replaced with a servo and nose retract.

Here in this picture you see the tray, and this is the [link=http://photos.imageevent.com/germanpete/rc/Dual%20Ace%20OS%2060%20low%20qual.wmv]link for the sound/video [/link] clip of the 60ies. I mean the engines and not 60ies rock&roll -- hehehe

G-Pete
Old 04-13-2006, 02:20 PM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: torque wrench
I just ordered a Dual ACE and an extra LA .46, it will be powered by two LA .46s converted to Diesel, more when I get it.
Diesel? This sounds interesting, how different is the sound?

G-Pete
Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

G, they have a deeper more authoritive sound, they will be turning 12x6 or 11x7 three blades at about 9,000 rpm. Flights will be about twice as long as glow flights.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 AM
G-Pete

Thanks,
That’s pretty new for me – I will keep an eye on this threat. Meantime I search around about diesel conversions. I’m thinking a .100 four banger with a larger exhaust - disguised as drop fuel tank – for a warbird….

Cool![8D]

G-Pete
Old 04-15-2006, 07:53 AM
CrashPro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

I'm to the balancing point now, and I have a question. G-Pete, your picture in post #82 shows that you balanced yours upright,
dajensen,post #87 says he balanced his inverted. Whats the best way? Thanks for any help

George
Old 04-15-2006, 10:22 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Either way. It isn't stable on the balancer right side up, but some of us think that makes for a more precise measurement.

If you balance the airplane level on the balancer, you will get the same results right side up and up side down. If you are trying to balance it nose down on the balancer, your results may vary.

Jim
Old 04-15-2006, 10:08 PM
CrashPro

Thanks for the info jrf,...I balanced at 85mm back...ended up 11.7 pounds. Wind forecast for tomorrow, so not sure if it'll fly tomorrow.

George
Old 04-16-2006, 02:47 PM
CrashPro

Flew mine today,...flew great. 2 clicks of up elevator is all it took to trim it out. I was gonna have one of the experienced twin pilots fly it so I could video the maiden flight, but after taxiing it around a while and getting the feel of it, I decided to just go for it, so no video.
Has anybody done the retract conversion yet? This airplane would so look so much better in the air with gear up.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99449.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	446224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80953.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	446225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38319.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	446226  
Old 04-17-2006, 04:39 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

G-Pete:

OMG,why didn't I think of your idea of mounting the batteries and weight if front,on the nose wheel former..I've put together two of GP bipes, ( PT-17 and P6-E Hawk),and they have the 'Boxes" for the batteries and weight up front on both models...going to make your set up and see how much weight I need to balance the "Dual Ace"..will balance at 90mm..also I balance my models using the "Byron Models" Method
Find the CG on the fuse,drill one hole ( 3/32 or 1/8"), on each side,then make a "Z" wire (2) and put one on each side, then pick up the plane to see where I need the weight....Forgot to mention,I re-enforce the holes on the inside with either 1/8 or 1/4" ply,depending on the weight of the model...this seems to work best for me.....I do live alone,and in an apartment,and don't think by knocking on someones door, when balancing the plane on the wing tips, and asking "I need your help,could I use your finger"?..might get punch in the nose...anyway, have a nice one.....
Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 AM
dajensen

flew mine again Sunday, I had my first flame out. I made a pass to check and see which engine had gone down and noticed that the plane still wanted to fly and with no real adverse yaw. I made a full 360 turn made 1 more pass and then made a U-turn to line up for my final. All I can say is SWEEET! very little rudder correction required and once I had throttled down on the final leg no correction was required at all. Now you need to note that I am running counter rotating motors and props. Read as, as viewed from the nose to the tail, the left engine runs clockwise and the right engine runs counter-clockwise. The only thing that I really noted was that the power was down a bit, but I had plenty left to fly the bird on. I would not try areobatics but it was enough to get me down without incedent. I did not note any tendency to drop one wing over the other just before touchdown. What a sweet stable bird. To quote the McDonalds theme phrase.......I'm Lovin' it!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:43 AM
CrashPro

which engine flamed out?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM
dajensen

The Port engine. the one that runs reversed of normal.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 PM
CrashPro

Thats great to know this airplane can fly so well with one engine. This is my first twin engine, so I'm a bit nervous about whats gonna happen when one of the engines dies. I've only flown it once so far, last weekend, and won't be able to fly this weekend, as our club is hosting the Best of the West Jet Rally Thursday thru Sunday. Has anybody had the starboard engine flame out on them? If so, how'd it fly with port engine running?
Old 04-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Ed_Moorman

I just finished the rudder pull-pull on my Dual Ace.

I removed the 10 ounces of weight I had in the nose. I did some calculations and found that 33% MAC balance point is just slightly over 4 1/8" or about 105mm. With 1 stick of stick on weight and the battery up in the nose cone, this is where I am at. Tomorrow she gets test flown.

With this, I reduced the overall weight to 11# 2.4 oz. That also brings the wing loading down to 29.5 oz/sq ft so it's getting in the good range. I'll bet if I go pull-pull on both elevators, I can get the weight under 11 lbs.

I am also switching from Master Airscrew 11-6 props to APC 11-5. This is the props I fly on my OS .46 AXs on 2 other twins and also on GMS .47s. We'll see how the Evos turn them.

Next, I have to get some blue or white spinners. I am thinking about painting the nacelles blue for better visibility in the Florida sky which usually has clouds. White is not very good for us. The red spinners do show up.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:13 PM
PeterC

I bought 2-1/2" aluminum spinners for my Dual Ace. The chrome look sure looks great. Does the DA come with spinners? Mine didn't.
Peter
Old 04-22-2006, 10:28 PM
CrashPro

Yours came with no spinners?...mine came with those goofy lookin red spinners...I replaced with 2 3/4" Du Bro white spinners
Old 04-22-2006, 10:34 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As I recall the original blurb for the DA said spinners were included. Bearing in mind that 99.999% of included spinners are junk, though.

Bill.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Ed_Moorman

Flight report with the rearward CG:

The plane flies great with the CG at 4 1/8" back from the root at the fuselage. That's 105 mm. It still won't stall with full up elevator on low rate. I am going to take out half of the stick-on weight strip I have in the nose cone and try it next weekend.

The 11-5 APCs on the Evos really sing. Man, what a great sound when twin engines are running together. Much nicer flying than with the 11-6 Master Airscrews.

The Dual Ace lands very nicely. I have yet to see a tip stall condition.

The first flight I had the left engine a little lean and it cut out. I noticed it when pulling up for a looping maneuver because the plane pulled off to one side. I released the elevator and added some rudder. I did keep the other engine at full power. Because a couple of 3D fliers were doing their thing over the runway, I waited until they landed. I flew around for 5 minutes or so on 1 engine at full power. Once they got out of the way, I landed. After I got back to the pits, people I talked to had not noticed that I had been flying with one engine out. The plane was still fairly fast. I did a few rolls and flew around. No panic condition, just hold a little rudder fly. I kept the rudder in until I went to idle on final. Nice handling plane on one engine. Not as good as my Twin Stick with 8 degrees out thrust, but for a straight ahead mounting, it handles very well.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:37 PM
PeterC

Ed, this is a very positive flight report. Mine should be ready for it's maiden flight tomorrow. Sure seems heavy on the nose wheel when balanced at 4".
Peter
Old 04-23-2006, 08:48 PM
moodier

Hi;This probably is a little off topic!Sounds like a great plane,will eventually have to get one but have 3 twins sitting in garage now.Just finished up a 60 size supersportster as twin but set it up with outhrust like the twinstar and the TwinStick.Sounds like this one has straight ahead engines,Why do they do this if the out thrust handles so much better?Seems like they would all use it!Thanks!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:33 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a little single engine time today as well. Right engine started sounding strange and when I throttled back and came by for a low pass to get a better feel for what was going on, it quit. I had to hold a bit of rudder, and noticed also that I was holding opposite alieron to keep the wings a little more level. Plane flew fine on one engine, though. I cut the engine on final and she settled in pretty as a picture, with just enough energy to roll clear of the runway. Almost like I planned it. I won't say it was a non event, at least for my first single engine on a twin, but it wasn't all that hard to deal with.

Andy
Old 04-23-2006, 09:41 PM
CrashPro

Boy, I'm loving these 'single engine successful landing' stories....I've still yet to fly mine for the second time, as was quite windy today. Feeling much better about an engine cuttin out on me now....thanks guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.