Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Twinstar with twin magnum 30 4 st's?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twinstar with twin magnum 30 4 st's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twinstar with twin magnum 30 4 st's?

Anyone flying a twinstar with twin magnum .30 four strokes? My twinstar was outfitted with twin 40 LA's. For Christmas I was surprised with two magnum .30 four strokes. I can't wait to get them going. Right now I'm having tuning troubles (another thread). What I was wondering is anyone flying this combo? If so, how do you like it? I know it will be slower than my LA's, but I've flown it 90 MPH long enough. Now I'm going for cool. I did fly it for a couple of minutes, and it sounded AWESOME! Can't wait to get the tuning worked out and get it back into the air!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:28 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Twinstar with twin magnum 30 4 st's?

2slow

I,ve been having fun with one of my multi bashs bout six months now using a pair Mag .30's but its not a twinstar.

For whatever its worth I like the engines fine but they are not particularly powerful but indeed have been very reliable and have had no inflight failures other than when deliberately short tanking one side or the other.

The airplane started as a Kaydet Seniorita but is built even lighter than the kit with smaller sticks, because the nacelles are quickly removable and it is flown as an aerotow glider without the engines Towed aloft by a Lazy Ace or telemaster. All up weight as the glider is 2lb 4oz and with the nacelles its 5lb4oz. I suspect your Twinstar will not have quite the get up and go as as this one with the mag's. To date I have not regreted the purchase of the mags and the airplane has forty flights (about thirty with the engines.

As far as Magnum quality I beleve Its can be spotty as the quality control may not be as good as some others. My four engine Kaydet senior now has reached 120 flights in three years with Magnum .28 two strokes and they have worked very well untill the last show I attended and one of the outboards broke a rod and blew out a crankcase in flight. Perhaps my fault, who Knows, the engine is at the repair center now beyond warrentee and we'll see how they handle it. Either way not a big deal.

By the way in the post Xmas sale at Hobby People the Mag .30FS' were selling for a hundred bucks! I was very tempted to order a bunch more.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80295.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	380688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72306.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	380689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22735.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	380690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97125.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	380691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj63313.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	380692  
Old 01-05-2006, 01:51 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

2slow

I,ve been having fun with one of my multi bashs bout six months now using a pair Mag .30's but its not a twinstar.

For whatever its worth I like the engines fine but they are not particularly powerful but indeed have been very reliable and have had no inflight failures other than when deliberately short tanking one side or the other.

The airplane started as a Kaydet Seniorita but is built even lighter than the kit with smaller sticks, because the nacelles are quickly removable and it is flown as an aerotow glider without the engines Towed aloft by a Lazy Ace or telemaster. All up weight as the glider is 2lb 4oz and with the nacelles its 5lb4oz. I suspect your Twinstar will not have quite the get up and go as as this one with the mag's. To date I have not regreted the purchase of the mags and the airplane has forty flights (about thirty with the engines.

As far as Magnum quality I beleve Its can be spotty as the quality control may not be as good as some others. My four engine Kaydet senior now has reached 120 flights in three years with Magnum .28 two strokes and they have worked very well untill the last show I attended and one of the outboards broke a rod and blew out a crankcase in flight. Perhaps my fault, who Knows, the engine is at the repair center now beyond warrentee and we'll see how they handle it. Either way not a big deal.

By the way in the post Xmas sale at Hobby People the Mag .30FS' were selling for a hundred bucks! I was very tempted to order a bunch more.

John

------------

You are a modeler after my own heart, John. Thanks for the pics and the discussion.

I have considered using the Kadet Senior/Seniorita in the multi-engined mode upon several occasions. But you flat-out topped and impressed me by also using it as a glider. Very, very interesting.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:23 AM
2slow2matter

John and Ed, thanks for the comments. I knew going in that I would lose the speed I had with the two stroke 40's, but, like I said, I had pushed it to over 90 mph enough already! I was literally flying the covering off of it. Now I have to re-stripe it, but I bet it stays on better now!

I truly enjoyed the sound of those two four strokes synced, it was awesome! Especially at around mid throttle--that was the best IMO. I will try the two bladed props this weekend and see what happens!

I know it won't be a hot rod, but I also know that the two 30's have plenty of power to fly the plane, and ample of "get me out of trouble" power. I just have to find the right prop combo. All up weight on my twinstar now is around 5 lbs. It was about 5.5 to 6 before, and I lost about 1/2 lb taking the twin 40's off, so we're looking at low 5's, I'm fairly sure. I need to re-weigh it. I did re-balance it, but was satisified that the CG hadn't moved substantially--it was nose heavy to begin with!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:19 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2slow

Just guessing from the parameters you laid out then I suspect you will enjoy the nice little Mags on your airplane also. With my ship I have tried APC 9x5, 9-6 and 10-4's. The 10-4's made for spritely T/O and climb but the level speeds were just a little too slow for my taste, the 9-5's were not a lot different and allowed the RPM's in the upper range and a little above. The 9'6's did the trick for me with the RPM's near the upper range but not excessive and this provided for a nice turn of speed for on the wing aerobatics. I think you will enjoy them on your airplane. Just for the record I use OS 'F' plugs, 15% fuel (break-in was with a quart each of 10% on stands. It is powermaster 18% oil that I spiked up to about 20% total oil with a little extra Sig Castor. No evidence of any tendency for the valves to stick.

ED

Kind words indeed and thank you. Here are some pic of the removable nacelles which are also adjustable for outthrust in seconds. I use no rudder gyro on this ship as its redundant but do use them on my Wing P-38's and the Quad Kaydet. This allows me to adjust them depending on who is going to be flying the ship. Two others have checked out with it now using a buddy cord and are both very competant now. One was a very experianced pilot and the other was just off his trainer. We worked with various senarios on engine outs by short tanking and both have no issues with inflight stoppages. Also are shots showing the battery ports. As you can imagine the the five minute changeover from twin to glider involves a massive CG problem. Working this out was the real trick and it turned out to be very simple. There are two battery compartments, one all the way back under the leading edge of the stab and one all the way forward in the very tip of the nose (It is a 270 Nicd pack).

To change from twin to glider two 1/4/20 nylon bolts in each nacelle are removed and it is removed after unpluging the servo. The battery is in the tail with a door and it is removed and put in the forward nose in another door. The power lead is a long custom 'Y' chord that just lead to both battery compartments. Hitch up the tow line to the servo operated pelican release along side the nosewheel and were off with out all the noise

Sorry for digressing a little 2slow, Just kinda proud of these airplanes.

John

Team Geritol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46671.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	381696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10559.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	381697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40045.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	381698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24911.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	381699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60856.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	381700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar11047.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	381701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya55914.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	381702  
Old 01-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I've got two OS 26 four strokes on my Twinstar..I suspect there is not a lot of power difference between our engines...

What I have found is that it flies great - like a much heavier airplane - when both engines are running. Lose an engine and you have to keep the speed up..these little engines don't have enough poop to keep it much above Vmc in level flight, so your only choice is to come down, and trade off altitude for airspeed. Throttling back the good engine is an option, although mine has a really high sink rate, so it does not cover much horizontal distance in a glide. I fly so that I am always within gliding distance of the runway - which is not a bad strategy for any airplane.... if I am flying low, I keep the speed way up, and use the energy to zoom back up to altitude once past the runway....

I'm using 10-6 props on mine. I found it had a lot more thrust than the 9-6's better speed, and better climb..