Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Will the Twin-Air take .61 2 strokes?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Will the Twin-Air take .61 2 strokes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:09 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the Twin-Air take .61 2 strokes?

And if not, is there a good 'starter' twin that will? I've got a couple and would rather not have to spend the money on 2 .45's.

Thanks
Kerry
Old 02-15-2006, 04:33 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Will the Twin-Air take .61 2 strokes?

Kerry:

The Twin-Air 45 is one of the few that will take the 61 engines, but be advised it will also be a rocket ship with them.

Not that you can't throttle back, but if the 61 engines are much heavier than the "Normal" 46 engines the air speed will have to be higher. On the other hand, if you are considering a light weight 61, like the K&B ringed 61, the Twin-Air will fly just like one that had a pair of hot 46 engines, it will fly just as slowly, but still have a higher top speed.

The Twin-Air is an excellent plane, and not at all hard to build.

Now, if a rocket ship is your desire then (if you can find one) get a Duellist 2/40 and hang your 61s on it. With the correct engines the Duellist (kit version) is capable of 150 mph in level flight, and is still highly aerobatic. The best Duellist is the 2/40 Mk II, even more highly aerobatic than the Mk I from the kit.

All three of these planes, the Twin-Air and the Duellists Mk I and Mk II, are good "First" twins as well. They are all relatively easy to fly on a single engine, and none of them will bite you in the tail unless you really get careless. And when you get careless the plane doesn't need two engines to "Get" you.

Bill.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Kerry,

Fitting them into nacelles could be a bit tight, but I am sure that the plane would handle them. I am flying mine with 46FX engines and Ultrathrust mufflers. Its well overpowered with the tuned mufflers but I've had no problems with the airframe. And the Twin-Air has plenty of wing so the extra weight would be OK. There is plenty of clearance for big props with the stock gear. But it could be tricky getting clearance for props bigger than 11" if you want to use retracts.

Walt
Old 02-15-2006, 05:03 PM
kerrydel

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to make a rocket ship. I just have 2 Tower 61's that I've broken in good on a couple planes, and I thought I'd like to try my hand at a twin (because I love P-38's like everyone else). Are there any kits out there for twins similar to the Twin-Air that would accept these engines better? Or plans, or lastly ARF's? I haven't seen much, but then I've only started looking.

Thanks
Kerry
Old 02-15-2006, 05:14 PM
William Robison

Kerry:

A few years ago a few of us got together and kitted what we called the "Super Duellist 2/60 Mk II," but we only made 50 of them. Once in a while you see one come up for sale, a lot of them are still unbuilt.

The hiastory of its design and production is in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_507841/anchors_507841/mpage_1/key_Super+Duellist/anchor/tm.htm#507841]this[/link] thread.

We set it up for 60-90 two stroke engines, and in spite of being about 1/4 larger than the Duellist 2/40 the weight is still not a lot higher.

If this interests you, Flyboy Dave (RCU user name) sent me a note a couple days ago saying he knew where one was for sale. You might give him a shout.

Bill.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:17 PM
William Robison

Kerry:

A little more o the Super Duellist Mk II 2/60 - Northeast Aerodynamics ( www.ne-aero.com ) who is also the maker of the Twin-Air is gearing up to produce the Duellist 2/60 kit. You might also send an email and ask them about it.

Bill.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A two .61 conversion is doable. with a few changed. The basic airframe is plenty strong enough.

1. I would consider setting the engines upright and using a tall, deep tank. There is room for an 8oz tank which will give you short flights. With an upright engine you could make the top of the nacelle slightly higher for a tank on its side or a Hayes, tall tank.

2. I would hold off installing the radio until last. You'll probably need the rudder and elevator servo in the rear and may need to cut a hatch for the battery back there for balance. Since you will need servos in the rear, I would not build the twin tail version.

3. I would not use heavy spinners and I would use a wood prop.

Sounds like a great project to me.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:31 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

I checked with Jeff at NE Aero, here is his reply:

Tim

Thank you for your interest in Northeast Aerodynamics, Inc. kits. The Duellist 2/60 will be the first available and we are still working out the kitting aspects of the design and are tentatively planning for early summer 2006. Please check back with our website from time to time for the latest details. As a policy, we do not accept advanced or back orders.

Jeff
Northeast Aerodynamics Inc
PO Box 1054
Hollis, NH 03049
www.ne-aero.com
Old 02-17-2006, 05:56 PM
kerrydel

Thanks for that. I sent them an email, but didn't hear back.

Early summer probably means it will actually be ready in late summer or fall. Might be a good project for next winter.

Kerry