Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Senior Kadet Dually destroyed

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Senior Kadet Dually destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Russ Verbael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Kadet Dually destroyed

My Senior Kadet dually was destroyed yesterday when its tail was chewed off by a Super Kaos. The Kadet fell straight in to its death like a B-17 over the ball bearing plants in Germany.

Crash picture is on the "Crash Forum".

The reason I am posting is that the Senior Kadet is a VERY EASY aircraft to build ...easy to convert to a twin. Very gentle in the air and landings are a piece of cake.

I have lots of construction pics of building the nacelles and setting up the fuel systems, throttle systems, mounting engines, etc. I WILL have another twin based on a high-wing trainer...this is the best way to break into twin aircraft...(my opinion). E-mail me for further opinions, pics, notes, etc.

Missing my Kadet dually in Arizona

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38990_5580.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	24309  
Old 12-04-2002, 03:49 PM
secondchildhood
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of the demise of the dually K. I hope the Kaos pilot at least offered to buy you another kit and covering material.

I am very fascinated with the kit bashing/ conversion of such planes to twin engines. I hope to do the same soon.

I would like copies of any construction pics, notes and info that you offered, as this will be a very valuable resource when I do my twin/kitbash.

Thanks, and hope you get started on it's replacement soon.

Dwight Hayden

[email protected]
Old 12-04-2002, 10:56 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Russell !! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Ok,, Time for some butt kickin' bucky... That's rotten...
Like 2ndchildhood said, hope the KAOS guy offered to
make restitution of sorts..
Well,, so tell us all the details... Then we will bow our heads
in a moment of silence...

I am almost to the point where I can start to show what the heck
is happening with the Tiger II and the Advance 40 I have on the
board currently..

Robby
Old 12-09-2002, 05:44 PM
JayBFlyer
My Feedback: (5)

Russ,
A twin Kadet is something I would love to do so I will be checking out your info.

I really like the kadet and I wonder if you have any experience with dihedral reduction, flaps and aileron additions on this guy.

Also I would love to scale this aircraft up 2x; I just like big.

Any thoughts?
JayB
Old 12-12-2002, 01:22 PM
Globemaster8600

Time to step up one now: Build a triple!
Old 12-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Bob Paris

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bummer.....:(

If your mid air was a true accident, then I do not believe anyone needs to pay anything...just part of flying in public. Now I know that several folks may not agree with me and toss balsa dust my way, but how I feel. If on the other hand the guy that hit you was a hot dogger, that did not care to show any consideration to his fellow pilots while flying, that is another story. Most all r/c drivers are cautious and do not fly as if they alone own the air, but at a club field, with more then one plane in the air-one must understand that mid-air accidents can happen. I've lost several models over the years to this, with only one accident pilot induced. What I mean is that one accident may have been avioded. That pilot was doing his best to fly close and laugh it off, until he hit my twin ugly stick and both planes were lost. To say that I was a bit steamed up would put it mildly, for I not only lost my model, but two Super Tiger .23's. He refused to repay anything, and just walked off and drove away. The club was huge and I was in collage at the time, so no funds to rebuild...or even get my radio gear fixed. That was at Supulvida Basin in Los Angeles over twenty years ago...

If it is an honest error, let it rest and do what your heart directs. I do believe that most mid-air's are accidents, true accidents and part of flying in public. I love to fly with my buddies, and if we meet by accident, then it is ordained by the r/c god's or to fate, take your pick. I would feel bad if it happened, and if I knew that it was a true acceident not feel responsable. Depending on who it was, would depend on my actions, and if a true accident then both flyers have lost a model.

It's how I see it.

Soft landings always,

Bobby of Maui
Old 12-12-2002, 06:09 PM
secondchildhood

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Globemaster8600
Time to step up one now: Build a triple!
Speaking of triples--
If you were to build a oversize Kadet, or similar plane and wanted to go with triple engines, would you size the center one bigger, or the same as the two outboard ones? I would think that with triples, that a single engine out "may" not be as hard to control for a multi engine beginner than with twins. Any truth to my reasoning there. Also I think I would put a larger tank for the center engine, just to increase the odds of it staying lit at the end of the flight. Would you set the thrust a little left on the lh engine, and a little right on the rh and center engine ? I suppose throttle control would be a "whole nother can of worms" to deal with if all you have is a T6xas. 6 channel.

Thanks,
Dwight Hayden
Old 12-12-2002, 11:37 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes Dwight there is some truth to that and a triple will soften the thrust dissymetry when any of the three are out as opposed to a wing mounted twin with one out and this will allow more time to 'identify/react'. Using an engine large enough to fly the airplane alone in the middle has been fairly common practice but I am not a fan of this for a number of reasons one of which is it leads to overpowering the airplane which can present other problems.

Do consider equal out thrust on both sides for any multi with any configuration or number of wing mounted engines. This will contribute more than any thing to the ultimate long term survival of your multi be it a twin, triple, quad or more. This will increase your 'Identify/React' time dramatically and lack of this time is what kills multi's both full scale and models.

On the last point about throttles with your radio if you wish to gang all of them together just solder up a three way 'y' or stack two y's and an extension for a triple. I am currently using a soldered up four way 'Y' with a quad. (my preference is for all throttles to be ganged together).

John
Old 12-13-2002, 04:20 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To Everyone on the thread:

My opinion. If a midair is an overtake I would be inclined to fault the overtaking pilot, as he is supposed to know where he's going. And keep a watch ahead of his plane. In other words, Russ, I would make the Kaos driver come up with a good excuse, at least.

A head on or quartering collision would almost of necessity be considered equal fault of the drivers involved.

But there's always the unexpected. We had a spectacular mid air here not too long ago; a heli flier was making a rapid vertical ascent, all watchers started yelling, before either the heli or fixed wing pilots reacted there was a cloud of mixed eggbeater and plank parts raining down.

A twin engined heli, well now really!

Bill.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by William Robison
If a midair is an overtake I would be inclined to fault the overtaking pilot, as he is supposed to know where he's going. And keep a watch ahead of his plane.
While this may be true in some cases, it is not always. My only (non combat) mid-air happened while I was about to overtake a slower plane. I could see that while he was higher than me, we would enter the base leg together. So to avoid this, I was going to do a quick Immellman and clear the area. As luck would have it, as I climbed, I clipped his tail. Was it my fault? In a way, yes. I clipped HIM, but I did it while trying to avoid him. Fortunately, both planes landed (even though I took half his empenage) and we agreed that under the circumstances, I had made the right decision, even though it ended with an accident.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:32 AM
DAN MOFFETT
My Feedback: (18)

QUESTIONS I HAVE ARE ENGINE SIZES AND ENGINE ANGLES
THE KADET IS AND HAS TO BE THE NICEST PLANE MADE
THANKS AND ANY OTHER INFO YOU CARE TO SEND WOULD BE MOST PRIZED!
BEST
DAN MOFFETT
[email protected]