Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

All Alumiunum F7F ARF flight Report

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

All Alumiunum F7F ARF flight Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:36 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: All Alumiunum F7F ARF flight Report

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I'll ask this question of everyone involved then give my opinion.

If the wright brothers never experimented, where would we be right now?

In my opinion, none of us would even be having this discussion.

Please don't construe this response as agressive or disdainful, it's just a simple answer to you question:

This model represents the absolute antithesis of what the Wright Brothers did. The polar opposite. The reason the Wright Brothers were successful where so many were not is because of the cool and methodical way they did their experimentation and math and solved each problem, one at a time. The Wright Brothers built a wind tunnel, and tested many various airfoils in model form, then built gliders to prove their math was correct. They would NEVER have tried to fly this model. They would have said "the wing loading is not acceptable, not even close, let's build another one, no need to waste materials, money, and time, proving that a configuration that our projections say is unflyable is unflyable." It was a looooong process of thought and experimentation to get what they got, but they were indeed scientists, and they did their homework before going all the way out to Kill Devil Hill with their gear to live in tents so they could prove thier math correct.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

PS robby...show me the "false accusations and statements". Because the only one I can see is that the canopy WAS secured other than with tape, and the pics show only tape. Otherwise, what false statements or accusations were made? Aside from your false accusation of false accusations!

The child a few feet from the plane being held up for the engine test, well, does not matter if he has AMA or not, he should not be there. A different issue from the airplane itself, but shows an attitude towards safety that is very telling, to me. I'm sorry, but there is no way you can justify him being there, he's not flying the plane, he's not tuning the engines, he should not be on the flightline, but somewhere safely away. Does not matter if it's a twin engined tigercat or a zipposport 40, it's just common sense.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:44 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You completely missed the point I was making and have become so focussed on just a few items you appear to have closed you mind unless someone agrees with you. I'm not saying those are bad things, but having an open mind has helped me to see things I never saw before.

I am now out of this conversation
Old 04-25-2006, 10:56 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

You completely missed the point I was making and have become so focussed on just a few items you appear to have closed you mind unless someone agrees with you. I'm not saying those are bad things, but having an open mind has helped me to see things I never saw before.

I am now out of this conversation
Not at all. To me, the OP missed the point completely...there is a bottom line here, which is that the wing loading was so far out of the ballpark that the flight should NEVER have been attempted. All the other things are really small spuds compared to the overriding one, and it keeps getting ignored, people keep pretending like all would have been okay if the aileron held on, etc, etc...
Old 04-25-2006, 12:37 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ET:

You have said it...

and said it...

and said it...

and said it...

and said it...

and said it...

and said it...

NOW DRY UP!!!

Bill.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: William Robison
OK, some real numbers. Wing span was 81â€, root chord 18.75†and tip chord 10.5 inches. This gives us 592 square inches area, or 4.113 square feet.
That's actually 592 squares per wing panel, for a total area of 1184 square inches. That gives a 50 pound Tigercat a wing loading of ~97 ounces per square foot. Not good, but a darn sight better than previously quoted.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Hellephant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to throw in on this...but what the heck! I have to agree totally with E.T., his questions are being dodged and even worse, he's told to "Dry Up!".

When I look at this test flight I'm reminded of Rick Moranis in "Space Balls". "I WANT LUDICROUS SPEED NOW!!!" At least Rick was wearing a helmet at the time. The flight really appeared to be rushed, with common sense thrown right out the window. Bill states that the canopy was held on by means other than the tape. How was it held then?? The only thing Twin says that was holding it was the tape. Was Bill there? Did he attach it himself? When asked just how it was attached he just tells E.T. that his argument was "proven specious". Proven by whom??? I still don't know HOW it was held on.[sm=confused.gif]

As to the child present during run-up, c'mon what was his purpose in being there?? The fact that he's an AMA member is totally irrelevant. There were "responsible adults" present that should've made sure he was at a safe distance. Judging by the size of the kid, he looks to be between 6-9 years old. Not old enough to recognize a potentially dangerous situation, and to blow it off with "He's an AMA member" is just silly.

I find it comical that even experienced pilots are just as quick to come-up with any exuse they can, rather than just admit they stalled it. I don't blame Twin for stalling it, anyone would've stalled it because it wasn't suppose to fly. It was said that maybe they should've went to a more remote area to test "fly" the ugly beast. May I suggest the Moon? It's out of the way and the gravitational environment would have made the wing loading about 35oz per square foot (that seems more in line with a model of this size!).

I think all E.T. is looking for is for SOMEONE to take some responsibilty. Just say "Ya know, It was poor judgement. I shoulda told Mr. Phan to find someone else." He wants people to see the "Big Picture". To understand that even taking all the precautions you can(which obviously wasn't done in this case), a bad idea is still a bad idea. I think what needs to be learned is to listen to our brains instead of letting excitment get the best of us.

Mike
Old 04-25-2006, 03:10 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chad:

Doggoned if you aren't right again. Went back and checked since I still had the model in memory, I was indeed checking the half span. 1160.55 square inches. Makes it 93.3 oz/ft at 47 pounds.

Hopefully that will cut ET's fussing by one half also.

Haw.

Bill.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Okay People, What would you do if some guy showed up to the field and asked
you to help him with 8 lbs GB trainer? The control surfaces are loose fitting
Dubro hinges that are glued in Elmer’s glue-all. Would you fly as is or make the
guy go home and fix the problems? Cheap brass hinges (which look like cabinet
door hinges) that were known to be loose from the start. I would have replaced
them just for my own peace of mind.

Now here one that no one has comment on and I’m sure a unknown to twinman.
From the photos the wing appears to be a one-piece wing. From the crash photos
we now have a two-piece wing. For a 40+ lbs all aluminum aircraft I feel this
should not have happen. It appears to me (JMHO) that maker did not put enough
thought into the center section sparring/dihedral bracing. If the wing was a two
piece wing where’s the center dihedral brace. Being that this is a prototype I
would think there would have been overkill in this area and not underkill. Still
looking at the crash photos. Here a 40+lbs. model that has just crashed, the fuse
is still in one piece. Now I’m going into the EasyTigre mode. What if TwinMan did
get it airborne, with the state of the hinges maybe he would not have had the best
control of the aircraft. Maybe with a couple of high G pullouts the wing as I see it in
the photo could/would have folded. Now we have a 40+lbs all aluminum bullet that’s
not going to break apart (like a balsa or fiberglass model would) falling from the
sky. No man, car or possibly fence is going to survive the impact (even at half the
weight). JMO

I’m like most here and I would have flown this aircraft only after the hinges had
been replaced. If the maker told me to fly it as is, I would have found me a side
country road to it just to play it safe. I hope the maker thinks about wing center
section. Also I would like to see a construction thread on this aircraft just to see
how the metalwork is done. Would I buy one I don’t think so. If someone was at
the field flying one of these I think I would pack my stuff and head home.

Again JMO,
Ron
Old 04-25-2006, 10:18 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: William Robison
OK, some real numbers. Wing span was 81â€, root chord 18.75†and tip chord 10.5 inches. This gives us 592 square inches area, or 4.113 square feet.
That's actually 592 squares per wing panel, for a total area of 1184 square inches. That gives a 50 pound Tigercat a wing loading of ~97 ounces per square foot. Not good, but a darn sight better than previously quoted.
Thanks for the correction. My GUESS had been over 100, William Robinson chimed in with 182...
97 ounces per square foot on a six and a half foot plane (add 48 ounces of fuel, too) with a pretty narrow chord is still unacceptable, and it still points to a very basic tipstall on takeoff, not the aileron hinges or anything else. Being that the wing is already parted in the crash picture, it's entirely possible the aileron was in place at impact, it's hard to say from the pic.
Can you calculate roughly what the stall speed would be? My guess is over 70mph.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:25 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hellephant

Hate to throw in on this...but what the heck! I have to agree totally with E.T., his questions are being dodged and even worse, he's told to "Dry Up!".

When I look at this test flight I'm reminded of Rick Moranis in "Space Balls". "I WANT LUDICROUS SPEED NOW!!!" At least Rick was wearing a helmet at the time. The flight really appeared to be rushed, with common sense thrown right out the window. Bill states that the canopy was held on by means other than the tape. How was it held then?? The only thing Twin says that was holding it was the tape. Was Bill there? Did he attach it himself? When asked just how it was attached he just tells E.T. that his argument was "proven specious". Proven by whom??? I still don't know HOW it was held on.[sm=confused.gif]

As to the child present during run-up, c'mon what was his purpose in being there?? The fact that he's an AMA member is totally irrelevant. There were "responsible adults" present that should've made sure he was at a safe distance. Judging by the size of the kid, he looks to be between 6-9 years old. Not old enough to recognize a potentially dangerous situation, and to blow it off with "He's an AMA member" is just silly.

I find it comical that even experienced pilots are just as quick to come-up with any exuse they can, rather than just admit they stalled it. I don't blame Twin for stalling it, anyone would've stalled it because it wasn't suppose to fly. It was said that maybe they should've went to a more remote area to test "fly" the ugly beast. May I suggest the Moon? It's out of the way and the gravitational environment would have made the wing loading about 35oz per square foot (that seems more in line with a model of this size!).

I think all E.T. is looking for is for SOMEONE to take some responsibilty. Just say "Ya know, It was poor judgement. I shoulda told Mr. Phan to find someone else." He wants people to see the "Big Picture". To understand that even taking all the precautions you can(which obviously wasn't done in this case), a bad idea is still a bad idea. I think what needs to be learned is to listen to our brains instead of letting excitment get the best of us.

Mike
I don't know who you are, but you sure make a lot of sense!

Blows me away that there is complete denial by the people involved that they did anything wrong at all. Either they just don't UNDERSTAND the issues, which is awfully frightening, or they just are unwilling to admit they might have made an error.
NOTHING WAS LEARNED HERE.
People make mistakes. Me, I make more that most! But at least afterwards, I admit I goofed and try to get somethng out of it. Twinman seems to have gotten nothing out of it. Same with William Robinson. Neither seem to want to admit or accept that this was totally unflyable plane.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: roncoleman

Okay People, What would you do if some guy showed up to the field and asked
you to help him with 8 lbs GB trainer? The control surfaces are loose fitting
Dubro hinges that are glued in Elmer’s glue-all. Would you fly as is or make the
guy go home and fix the problems? Cheap brass hinges (which look like cabinet
door hinges) that were known to be loose from the start. I would have replaced
them just for my own peace of mind.

Now here one that no one has comment on and I’m sure a unknown to twinman.
From the photos the wing appears to be a one-piece wing. From the crash photos
we now have a two-piece wing. For a 40+ lbs all aluminum aircraft I feel this
should not have happen. It appears to me (JMHO) that maker did not put enough
thought into the center section sparring/dihedral bracing. If the wing was a two
piece wing where’s the center dihedral brace. Being that this is a prototype I
would think there would have been overkill in this area and not underkill. Still
looking at the crash photos. Here a 40+lbs. model that has just crashed, the fuse
is still in one piece. Now I’m going into the EasyTigre mode. What if TwinMan did
get it airborne, with the state of the hinges maybe he would not have had the best
control of the aircraft. Maybe with a couple of high G pullouts the wing as I see it in
the photo could/would have folded. Now we have a 40+lbs all aluminum bullet that’s
not going to break apart (like a balsa or fiberglass model would) falling from the
sky. No man, car or possibly fence is going to survive the impact (even at half the
weight). JMO

I’m like most here and I would have flown this aircraft only after the hinges had
been replaced. If the maker told me to fly it as is, I would have found me a side
country road to it just to play it safe. I hope the maker thinks about wing center
section. Also I would like to see a construction thread on this aircraft just to see
how the metalwork is done. Would I buy one I don’t think so. If someone was at
the field flying one of these I think I would pack my stuff and head home.

Again JMO,
Ron
I don't think the model was made by a modeller, and I don't think there WAS any engineering whatsoever. Just the shape of the airplane, made out of metal. My uncle goes to Vietnam all the time, and brings back souveneirs made in Saigon that are very similar, the last one was a destroyer (navy ship) all made out of metal, it could have been the EXACT same shop that made this, the rivets look the same and all that. Talented metal workers, they make just about anything you want out of old beer cans and such.
Would love to see the wing skins pulled off and see what is inside.
You are right about the wing spar, you would think it would be built like a bridge, from the weight, yet there it is seperating from the fuselage. Not the wingtip bending or seperating, but the entire wing failing at the root. Good chance, like you say, of that happening in flight, if it HAD gotten airborne.
And what does the 14 pound weight of the second one say about the "engineering" of the first...that maybe there WAS none? I'd take the second one somewhere very isolated to test it out, ten bucks says that one has a major structural failure in flight. And that the wing loading will STILL be too high to be really safe, even with the airframe at half the weight.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:51 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I just say that when this flight was attempted the "Dung" hit the "Phan"!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:28 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Can I just say that when this flight was attempted the "Dung" hit the "Phan"!
That is the single downright dumbest, cheesiest thing I have ever read here, but that's why we love you, BB...

I have nothing against VQ, have built and flown one of their airplanes, but bought a couple more of their kits and ended up getting rid of them before building them, due to them just being really low-end products. Worth the money? Absolutely...provided your wing does not fold on the third flight or something! If you get a good one, they are nice models for the money. Have not seen the two big ones, the P61 and P-38, but talk down at the field from the guys was they did not want to spend that kind of money on a VQ model, not a solid enough brand. Mind you, I don't know anyone who has SEEN one of these big VQ models yet, they look very decent. This incident with the Tigercat, it says a few things to me about this company, most of which are not really positive.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny. I closed this thread once, the DB crashed which caused some posts to be lost and the thread to re-open. You guys just can't stop unless we make you can you?