Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

RE: Nitro Models Cessna 337 - Build Thread

Hey Guys, Thanks so much for all the tips, I have just started my 337 and I was wondering what to do with the wing attachment issue. All you advice really helps. Just wondered some club members suggest coating the fire walls with epoxy to strengthen and protect the balsa from the fuel. What do you think? Also did you mount your engines inverted, if so do you need a glow plug controller to keep your glow plugs going at idle? I have never had a plane with inverted engines. I am planning to use an OS .50SX and a Super Tiger .51 as power since I have them in stock. Also what type of mufflers should I use, I am guessing Pitts Style. Was your battery big enough?
    Thanks and see ya
    kggivens

Hello All:
    I have been looking at my wing, and I am unable to locate the screw holes to attach the wing, any chance you could measure the distance from the leading edge and the end of the wing? Also did you find any holes for the smaller tube? Your help is much appreciated as I do not want to probe around my wing.
    Thanks again
    kggivens

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

kggivens,

I mounted my engines inverted, but they are .70 4-strokes. And, since 4-strokes have their glow plugs at an angle in the cylinders, it seems to help having the plug's flame put out in lower RPM's. I would recommend mounting your 2-strokes on their sides if possible. They make Pitts-style mufflers that work for that. Personally, I hate having to fuss with 2-strokes mounted inverted, just my $.02.

I use a 2100 MAh NiMH 6V battery. For nine servos, it's plenty. Of course, I put it on the field charger every couple of flights just for good measure.

There are holes for the wing tubes in the center wing section. You should be able to see them. Then, you can just epoxy the tubes in the wings. I don't think you need to screw in the small tubes. They will retain themselves as long as the main wing panel is screwed in. I also found that if you insert the tube into the outer panels and mark it where it is exposed, that distance into the wing there is a hardwood block you can screw into as well, if you would prefer to epoxy the tubes into the main wing panel.

Hope that helps! Be sure to read the whole build thread for more info. on these topics.

-Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally decided to stop messing around with the O.S. FL-70 and just leaned the heck out of its low-end. Apparently, that's the trick to making it run right in the inverted position, because I finally had a full flight, with several touch-and-go's, and both engines were running when I taxied back to the pits!

If any of the rest of you are flying your 337's, I want some flight reports!

-Pat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have 2 questions before buying one.
    1-How much bigger and would you counter balance the rudders for effectiveness?
    2-This wing mounting has me scared. I need a 2 piece wing. Are there hard points on the top of the wing as well? I thought maybe a person could run a nice painted buttenhead allen screw down with a nice small nut on the bottom???? Great thread.
    Oh, aslo,
    3-Did the flaps balloon? How well were the flaps at slowing the aircraft? Thanks so much again.
    Where there is confusion, there is profit.
    AMA # 403098

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dart373,

1. I don't think there is a way to make the rudders more effective and have it still look somewhat scale. You could increase the rudder size to 2 1/2" and see if that helps.

2. I imagine the hardwood block at the end of the wing tube goes from top to bottom and would probably support mounting in the way you describe. You could also thread a hole in the tube to accept the screw and use some loc-tite to make sure the screw doesn't fall out in flight. There are ways of making the wing a three piece for transport. I simply didn't want to mess with it and figured I could just as easily construct a PVC carrier for it for transport in my pick-up. Just keep in mind that you will probably not want to take the middle section off the fuselage for transport. In order to remove it, you also have to remove the rear cowl, which means removing the rear propeller and spinner as well, and the struts and receiver antenna wire.

3. The flaps don't make it balloon. In fact, they function very much like the flaps in my full-scale Cessna 150 did, (I've since sold the plane). They cause a slight forward pitch and decrease the rate of decent significantly. The plane certainly slows down and has noticeably more lift. I use a little bit of flaps on take-off and full flaps on landing. It does well without, but I prefer to use them.

What do you mean when you refer to counter balancing the rudders?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    after reading the comments about the flight charachteristics and considering the fact i may purchase one of these,I need to ask if the making of the rudders was worth the time and cost of the extra servo since you state the are in effective.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Counterbalance = rudder extends over the top of the fin. More surface area, and counterbalanced as well. Most aerobatic rudders have this and I bet your Cessna 150 had them on the elevators. Anyway, I think you could just put a piece of hardwood dowel in the tub itself once you learned where it needs to go, and now you have threads for your screws. Just put the dowel in the tube(only need a 1" piece of dowel), put the wing on, drill through the hardwood, and into the tube/dowel. take it back apart, and thread the hardwood that is inside the tube!

See counterbalance-------
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl28925.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	479304  
    Where there is confusion, there is profit.
    AMA # 403098

Just joined the Universe. Your Skymaster thread is very encouraging!

Am looking to try building the 337.

How did your Prop front & rear work out? Have you attempted any other configuration?

How many different ARF models are you aware of?

The DiVisor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dart - The rudders I constructed were not counter-balanced. I have flown the plane several times since the last time I posted, and the only time I find that the rudders are not quite enough is during a hammerhead. Doing stall turns, wing-overs, etc. are no problem with the 2" rudders I added on.

Divisor - Due to the lack of a wide variety of pusher props out there, I used a 14X6 on the back and a 13X6 on the front. The only problem with the 14" blade is that, now that the landing gear has mushed down a little bit, it's possible to bump the rear prop on the ground if you tilt the nose all the way up.

That brings up another issue: The landing gear is not strong enough for this plane. Mine has never been landed hard or crashed, and the aluminum gear is widening outward. I will probably run a tight wire between the hubs and sacrifice some of the shock-absorbance of the gear in exchange for a more sturdy feel.

Happy flying!

-Pat

Hi Folks:

I just signed up to this thread today -- and I need your help. I just purchased the 337 and great info on the threads so far. My question -- can someone please tell me what control throws they have theirs set at? I saw the one that P-Diddy said that he eyeballed it -- would appreciate control throw numbers if anyone can pass them along. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all! Sorry I've been out of the discussion as of late. "P" I know what you mean about the main gear, they don't like hard landings! what about a bungee system like the cubs have? might work. "Mustang", control throws are at best a guess! I'll have to look at my settings on my transmitter and will post them for you by Wednesday. "P" sounds like you are ringing out the bird pretty good, glad to hear that it holds up. I'm still having trouble with my rear .46 wanting to cut out with the cowl on, back to the build bench for a ram air system on the carb! Because of that I haven't flown it much, and my girlfriend keeps calling it a center piece for her kitchen table . I'm thinking that if the ram air doesn't work I've got two saito 82's that are more than willing to find a new home on the 337[sm=lol.gif]! on a different tangent, has anyone had the joy of flying Chip Hydes 1/4 scale Cap 232? I'm looking for some feed back good or bad! take care all and good luck with your builds!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay Spyder, we're going WAY off thread topic here, but I can't resist asking if you've already bought that Chip Hyde Cap? Is it the Cap X you're referring to? I pondered purchasing that plane when I was looking for a 1/4 scale aerobatic/3D airframe. I ended up buying the Goldberg Extra 330. I really like the looks of that Cap X and may end up getting one if my Extra bites the dust... I haven't seen one his planes yet, but I imagine if he's going to put his name on it, the performance should be pretty darn unlimited!

Mustang - Do you still have the instruction book? It should list the throws in there. Otherwise, I'd recommend setting the elevator at about 3/4" to start and the ailerons the same. Move the surfaces and see if that looks like it will be enough. Like I said, I eye-balled it and used what looked right based on my experience. You could always write to Nitroplanes and see if they can send you the throws, unless someone out there still has their instruction book handy...

P:

Thanks for your note. Yes, I have the instruction booklet but no where does it have callouts for throws. I got to this thread from NitroPlanes -- I asked them what the throws are and they didn't tell me -- instead, they gave me the link to this thread. That's why I've been forced to ask you guys. Glad to hear all is going well -- I'm about a week away from first flight.

Also -- great info on the rear tank -- I went 180 degrees out so that the klunk stays back. Thanks for all your help, and I'll check on this thread on occasion -- to share what I've learned too. See

Mustang

Thanks Spyder -- looking forward to hearing your numbers on the throws as well. By the way, I have two OS 61 FX's installed -- I know that's a lot of power, but I'll fly it slower. Thanks for your help as well -- I sincerely appreciate it. Talk to you on Wednesday.

Mustang

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mustang, sorry it took so long to respond with the throws, I erased my 337 out of my radio by accident when I got my cap! To the best of my memory I had my elevator set to 1/2" up and down on lows and 11/16" upand down on highs. The low was a little mushy but that's my preferance on a new model for the first couple of flights till I get used to it! on the ailerons, I like a little more throw and I had them set on low 3/4" up and down, and 1" up and down on high. If you decide to build in the rudders, and if your radio has duel rates I would set them to where you feel comfortable with the amount of throw. I had mine set on low 1" both ways and on high about 1 3/4". I hope that this will help you and also the throws that P mentioned sound good as well! Also let me know if you have any trouble keeping the rear engine running with the cowl on, I thinking that there might be an issue with the way the carburator is tilted towards the prop that is pulling the fuel out of the engine. Hopefully you wont encounter this problem and it's just a gremlin that I'm having to deal with! At least there's not " Something on the wing,... someone out there on the wing!" P, thatchip hyde cap flys clean and I was just fishing for any feed back from any one that might of flew one and had any pro's or con's about it! Thanks, good flying! Brent

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spyder's control throws sound good, use them as a starting point and adjust as needed. =)

Spyder, I just maidened my Hangar 9 Showtime 4D yesterday, and it was awesome! Very smooth flyer, lots of potential...

At some point I'll have to replace my 40cc-size airplane with something new, and that Cap looked really nice. I also like the Ultra-RC Giles 202 UL, that one is really unique... and light!

It's a long time in the future, though.

Take care Spyder.

-Pat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

P beware of the landing gear on the showtime, I've folded mine twice bummer! I'm enjoying the cap, but like you said we're getting way off subject! What engine are you running on the showtime? Good Flying! Brent

Spyder:

Thanks for the great information. I will be putting in the throws as you have given me. I think I was pretty close on them at the start, but I'll double-check. Also, on the rear engine, I have 2 OS 61 FX's installed. The rear engine is giving me some fits. First, I installed it inverted, but that ran really rich. I then mounted in sideways, and now it's much better, but not at idle. I'll still keep playing with it, but if anyone knows of anything else, let us know. PS -- I've already reversed the tank and will play with raising it a little (seems that it's about 1/2 inch below the carb centerline. I'll let you know this week.

Again, thanks for your feedback -- it is very much appreciated.

Mustang.

My thanks to you as well P. I appreciate all the communication.

Mustang

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mustang, thanks for the info on the rear tank! you're right, it does sit lower than the carb! One more thing to adjust ! Good luck, and thanks for the lookout! Brent

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spyder, so funny that you should mention the gear on the Showtime because I broke mine off today when I dead-sticked just beyond the field's edge. The gear tore right off, killing the SFG's!

My engine is a BCMA 26cc gasser, great engine! I can't imagine trying to hover with a .90 glow!!

Mustang - you'll find that the Cessna will be plenty forgiving if the throws are a little off. And, you'll be happy to know that if that rerar engine quits you'll be able to circle around on one engine just fine!

Great -- glad to help, and thank you for your help. Latest news -- I raised the tank, put the cowl on and the engine runs on the ground perfectly. Just to let you know, I had to cut out the wing attach plywood (with the blind nuts for the wing attach bolts), and I installed a 3 inch by 3.75 inch plywood plate with blind nuts flush with the top of the fuselage (common to where the wing lays flat in the saddle). By raising the tank, I couldn't use the original plywood mount. The tank centerline is now even with the carb centerline. I'll let you know how it goes once I fly it.

Thanks Spyder -- I'll send this same note to P-Diddy as well. Talk to you soon.

Mustang.

Thanks P-Diddy -- here is the note I sent to Sypder as well. I appreciate all your help on the info and the throws, and I should be ready to fly in the next few days (depending on weather -- hot here in Arizona).

Latest news -- I raised the tank, put the cowl on and the engine runs on the ground perfectly. Just to let you know, I had to cut out the wing attach plywood (with the blind nuts for the wing attach bolts), and I installed a 3 inch by 3.75 inch plywood plate with blind nuts flush with the top of the fuselage (common to where the wing lays flat in the saddle). By raising the tank, I couldn't use the original plywood mount. The tank centerline is now even with the carb centerline. I'll let you know how it goes once I fly it.

Thanks P-Diddy -- I sent this same note to Spyder as well. Talk to you soon.

Mustang.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Mustang, let us know how the flight goes!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast