Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

F7F Tigercat

Old 05-23-2006, 04:39 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default F7F Tigercat

Dan Palmer plans (all wood).
83" WS.
Two Saito's .91 4-strokes.
CJ retracts.
Outer wings come off outside the nacelles.
Fits in the bed of my full size truck with a whole 4" on each side.
Wings are high enough to pass over the wheel wells.
Purchased from a pilot at my club.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58151.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	465755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65852.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	465756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62628.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	465757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26264.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	465758  
Old 05-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Deadeye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: F7F Tigercat

NICE! I've got an old Bridi kit to start on one of these days.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:33 PM
samparfitt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After adjusting the low end to 2.5 turns out, the two Saito .91 4-strokes are turning 9300 RPM's on 13X8 3-blade MAS props using Wildcat premium 15% nitro.
(the engines maxed at 9500 but I backed down to 9300).
I plan on using 13X8 2-blades for the maiden.
Other than the right wing coming out, all looks good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88807.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	466128  
Old 05-24-2006, 09:08 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"Other than the right wing coming out, all looks good."
Uh...you planning to fly like that???...Forget the vertical test...you have more problems than that!!
Wish I could build, or EVEN cover like that!!
Tee Hee.,
Twinman
Old 06-03-2006, 01:07 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks great! What does it weigh?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:44 PM
samparfitt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks.
I have no idea what she weighs: I'm guessing around 20-22.
I've been too cheap to buy a scale: those things are expensive (of course no problem spending 500 bucks on some YA P-40 retracts!)
Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM
no1speshal
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Everyone!
It has been a while since I posted to RCUniverse, but alas, it is time once again. I have come into a beautiful F7F airplane that is worth its weight in gold. It is from plans and they were drawn by someone in '84 named Dan something. I am trying to be very careful with the plans until I can get them copied because they look liuke they are as old as they are.
Anyway, I was walking around a swap meet here in Jacksonville Florida and saw this poor cob-web covered piece of balsa and plywood that had a sticker that said $50- on it. I picked up the fuselage and looked carefully, asked the man at the table if this was indeed an F7F and he agreed and added that it was only fifty bucks. Beneath my choking and glee, I replied with a question to the effect of: "Is this the complete plane or does it come with any other pieces?" He showed me the built up wings, minus the outer wing panels and the the four rolls of plans it was kitted from.
Rather quickly, I somehow produced the cash and happily handed it over. He told me he had more pieces at the house, and when he stumbled upon them, he would bring them to me. By now, folks, I was about to jump up and down and scream like a little school girl. I was fit to be tied. This thing is amazing and was superbely built. The guy that sold it to me was a friend of a deceased modeler that was selling it as part of an estate sale for his widow. Needless to say, I got a good deal and the opportunity to finish what a fellow modeler started. Now, on my building board is a somewhat built F7F Grumman Tigercat that needs a lot of attention.
It came with Century Jet model retracts that are perfect and in working condition, I hope. The cockpit was started and about 60% finished and the inner wings are blocked in and ready for final fit out. The plans call for an OS60fx on each wing, but I expect it will need a little more after the plans are finished. The plans have not only mention, but also engineering for the wings to fold and the mechanism to make them do so. It has plans for all of the missles and the torpedo, plus a couple of bombs or drop tanks. As I said, I only got it on Saturday and I have been handling it carefully.
Now, we finally come to the part about why I am posting here. I NEED EVERYONE'S HELP I CAN GET! I have only been building for around five or six years, so I am new enough to know that I can never get enough information. The end result here is to finish this plane and make it competition grade, IMAA legal and quality, plus be able to comfortably fly because I can't wait to fly this beautiful baby. So, does anyone know anything about this thing? Are there any indiosyncrocies I need to be aware of? Is there anything I need to know about the Century Jet retracts? It also came with the air bottle, but I have yet to own an airplane with functioning retracts, so that aspect I am very new at. I have built a lot of airplanes so far, so I am not intimidated by the build aspect. Right now, I am up to around thirty five or fourty airplanes I have built, plus around the same amount of ARF's. Building is fun and I would not trade that part for anything. Picking up where someone else left off scares me a little bit, but I will make due.
I am going to take some pictures of what I have to start with and I will be happy to show any progress I make along the way. THe airplane looks as if it was out in this guys garage for a while as the 4-40 rods are rusty pretty good, so I will have to replace those. The engine nacelles are bullet proof too. He made them out of 1/4" ply and three laminations of the same for the firewall. Maybe he was going to mount V6's on it or something, I don't know. Regardless, I will have to fix that as well.
If there is anyone out there in the RCUniverse that has built one of these from scratch, and especially one from this set of plans, can you give me a shout? I would really appreciate any help I can get on anything and there is not one thing you can tell me that I will not take in and digest as usefull. All information I receive is more than I have started with. I like this airplane so much, it pushed my PBY-5M on the back burner and that is (was) my favorite airplane of all times. I am not a WWI or WWII only kind of person. Actually, I am not a "anything!" I like planes that not everyone else has, like the PBY, the BTE Vortex, the Bristol Scout and a few that I designed and built myself that look nothing like anything else in the sky. This one is right up my alley too as there were only 360 something of them built and only 6 still flying. MY KIND OF AIRPLANE!
So, thanks to anyone and everyone that has anything to add to my new adventure. The progress may be slow going as I am a full time employee of a salt mine run facility and a full time student in college, not to mention a full time Dad and as good of a husband as I can be in between all of that. However, I will finish it for that man that started it because I know he will want to see it from heaven as he would have done it. That is my goal and I will reach it...eventually. Thanks in advance everyone!

Cheers!
Red
Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Red:

I am possibly the biggest F7F Tigercat nut you’ll ever find. Right now I have three in various sizes, I’m waiting for another with 81” span so I can fly with the “Big Boys,”, and I recently gave another 81” TC away with major damage. And that’s not counting the “Tiggerkitty” in my avatar. And if the fellow who got the broken one doesn’t do anything with it pretty quickly I might reclaim that one and fix it too. The fuselage was broken in two just behind the wing saddle, and minor damage to one nacelle.

I’ve never been a big scale nut, unless you’re going for contest points I’d forget the folding wings and just make them plug in for transport.

There were two distinct series of Tigercats, you can tell them apart by the vertical fin. The F7F-1 and –2 had a smaller fin and rudder, some few of the F7F-3 also had the smaller fin. If you have the option make yurs the late –3 or the –4 version. This was a production change to make single engine flight less of a bother, it makes a difference on the model as well. With the engines almost ½ way out on the wings a dead engine is easily noticed, and if you are a little slow you’ll be sweeping the plane up in a bag. Rudder gyro recommended.

Another recommendation is start with a twin that is much less vicious with an engine out, the Twin-Air 45 from Northeast Aerodynamics ( www.ne-aero.com ) is a good choice for a builder, or the Twin Stick 45 from Cedar Hobbies ( www.cedarhobbies.net/ ).

Also if possible get a lot of “Sim time” with G3 doing engine outs with the P-38.

Looking forward to pictures.

Bill.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
ziggy68

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi There

I am wanting to build an F&F Tigercat from scratch and keep hearing of these Don palmer plans but cannot locate where I can get a copy could you please assist in where I could find these.

Or do you know of a site where I can download free plans to start this build.

Thanks

Ziggy68
Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback