Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Cedar Hobbies F7F Tigercat ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Cedar Hobbies F7F Tigercat ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 07:49 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Cedar Hobbies F7F Tigercat ARF

Jan:

Thanks for the link. Your buddy has some fantastic airplanes, but he also has some fantastic prices. Too rich for my blood.

Bill.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Scale Wings kit is mind boggling! I would love to have one of those kits.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:21 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tom:

Which to buy? A Scale wings Tigercat and a pair of Seidel 14 cylinder radials, or a brand new Cadillac?

Haw.

Bill.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Tigercat and radials!

The only Cadillac's I ever see around here have just become the choice of gangsta's and rap stars anymore. 24" wheels and thumpin' bass....
Old 07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Scar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Uh-Oh!

I know that once apon a time, a long time ago, that there were people in this country that actually took pride in how well they could perform their profession. I also know that those type of people are still out there,,, somewhere... Evidently they aren't at U.P.S..

Bill, If that box was triple ply cardboard with foam in between the layers and had 1/4" of lite ply on the outside, it would still be a crushed box.

After recieving a package that didn't look as bad as yours, I handed my U.P.S. guy two $100 bills and told him to wad them up and hand them back to me. He did, then asked me why I asked him to do that. I told him that was the value of what I had ordered and I was just making sure that U.P.S. was able to follow instructions from their customers. I then tapped one of the 8 fragile stickers that was on it and told him "Good job!"...

It probably wasn't his fault and the local drivers probably get a lot of heat because of it but, the solution needs to start with somebody and they don't seem to want to hear about it from me. I'm so tired of the excuses from these freight companies that are being hired to perform a service! And then to destroy someone's goods and merchandise and then have the jewels blame it on the people that hired them??

We had a batch of hydraulic cylinders come in at work via truck freight. The package was mangled and there were two cylinders missing. The freight line tried the same "improper boxing" with the shipper. I e-mailed several pictures to the shipper and the fright line guy of the wooden crate and the gouge markes from the fork lift that speared it right above the pallet and ruptured it.

I'm all worked up now.... I need a drink...[X(]

UPS ain't the only one. I was traveling by air, stopped in Atlanta enroute to Miami. My carry-on was supposedly too large, so they asked me to leave it in the little walkway, so the "handlers" could stow it in the plane's forward compartment. There were probably 30 or 40 carry-on bags like that.

I watched the two baggage "handlers" move the bags from the elevated walkway to the concrete. The one upstairs would hand it down to the guy on the ground. The guy on the ground made sure to raise every single piece of baggage up and make sure it dropped to the concrete from at least 3 feet off the ground. I couldn't believe it. To repeat, he would take the bag from the first "handler", lower it to knee level, raise it back up, and drop it.

I had a gift (jewelry box) in my bag. It wasn't damaged, but if I had packed a little differently it would have been. My camera was in the bag, or I'd have had video of this.

Ah, well.
Dave Olson
Old 07-25-2006, 02:04 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing to the thread, thanks for the explanation on the variants Bill, I love to learn about the classics

as stated before this is not meant to win scale competitions so taking that into account I LOVE this thing. Cedar really is bringing some original stuff to the ARF world

Last plane I started is still on the dining room table and im still done done 1 month later...what is it? a FOAMIE!! ARF's are the way to go for me
Old 01-05-2007, 12:43 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's the latest on the Cedar Hobbies Tigercat- we know about the shipping thing! and I am not asking about some 1/4 scale monster $10,000 Tigercat! the Cedar hobbies Tigercat! that is my favorite size for a Tigercat and if it is made out of balsa then I can bash it to be more scale. thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
nchouker
My Feedback: (1)

HI EVERYONE,
THE TIGERCAT IS FINALLY FINISHED AND HEADING OUR WAY,WE SHOULD HAVE SOME IN STOCK,LIMITED NUMBER AROUND JUNE 15th,ANYONE WHO IS INTERSTED ,PLEASE EMAIL ME TO BE ON THE WAITING LIST

[email protected]
COST IS GONNA BE $350+$45 SHIPPING
Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 PM
nchouker
My Feedback: (1)

the f7f is on the ship heading to the us,we can start shipping around the 10th of this month,we will have a build up thread on this model very soon.thanks again
neil
Old 07-14-2007, 12:14 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Any updates on this plane? Looks like the KMP is a totally POS..way to many issue for $900!!

Looks like this plane is available from cedar hobbies (according to their website) .... Also does anyone know what retracts can be used on this plane?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:29 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

On the retracts, just talked to Spring Air and he says to use the 102HD set. All the retracts are beam mount. Neil was showing me one of the kits. Naturally, did not have the camera, but will post pictures when I get them. Yes, it is built up except the nose cone and nacelles.
Twinman
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Interesting, the pics on their website are not that great. A good looking picture could probally help sells. $350 is a pretty good price, and with the spring airs and stuts you could probally have the plane with retracts under $600 thats $300 cheaper than KMP. Very interesting.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
twinman

Ok,, update on the landing gear. The F7f if you go scale has VERY short landing gear on the mains..Maybe OK for full size, but not so good for model..Ok Ok..so I admit to dorking a few in. Looking at this model last night it will have a similar ground clearance problem. 14" props are marginal..for long prop life anyway. If the landing gear doors are lengthened will look silly,,,my two cents.
Talked to Bill at Spring Air http://www.retracts.com/ and he has come up with a scale appearance solution for both the nose gear angled forward and increased main ground clearance. Samples are coming my way for trial and fit up, then will give out the details. The part number of the retracts for this model will be 102 HD F7F. Talk to Bill.
Will keep you posted.
Twinman
Old 07-17-2007, 03:38 PM
GJAUBIN
My Feedback: (9)

May be a stupid question but here goes. Would this be OK for a first twin? I have quite a bit of flying experience, just no twin experience. The price just seems to be too good to pass up.

On a side note, I know it's not the real thing, but have been flying the twinstar on G2 sim. Have everything set up for "realism" with crosswinds and the like.

Opinions??
Old 07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
twinman

Well, Neil has twisted my arm and my pocket book..I'm in and will be reporting the build as I go. ( Wondered why he "let me just look at it for a while"...sneaky!!!
GJAUBIN As for a first twin,,Maybe,,but is large and expensive to build. I will be better able to answer, I hope in two weeks.
Let the fun begin.
Twinman
Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 PM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one that I'm not getting to for a while. Big airframe! I was going to do an electric conversion on it. I have it over on Ebay.
Bob
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 AM
twinman

Ok,,let the fun begin. $350 at http://www.cedarhobbies.net/ 85" measured wing span, no retracts but set up for them.
Enclosed are the pictures of the kit and wonders of wonders..no damage!! Life is good!!
The plane is completely built up construction except the fiberglass nose cone and engine nacelles.
The wings are held in position with two wooden dihedral braces that must be CAREFULLY glued together from three separate pieces. The wings are bolted to the main fuse in flight.
I wondered why not use a tube..but how would you have dihedral with an aluminum tube..Out comes the carpenters wood glue and bricks
Twinman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57376.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	725347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16446.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	725348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58204.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	725349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97275.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	725350  
Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Those holes in the middle of the wing joiners will make them very weak. Can you replace them, reinforce them, etc.?

Jim
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM
twinman

I will check tonight, but again, remember that there is much less load on these braces than a single. All the weight is on the wings..engines, fuel tanks and fuel, eight servos and landing gear. The fuse does not weigh much. I do know that if you wanted to, you could perminately glue them into the fuse, with removable wings, which is how it is designed, and add additional wood to them and the fuse and tie it together..There are two of these holding and aligning the wings. The wins bolt to the fuse with two each metric quarter inch bolts. More later.
Twinman
Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

The main gear is in the nacelles. A hard landing would be my concern.

Jim
Old 07-18-2007, 03:57 PM
twinman

All the weight is in the wings, even a hard landing, but tell you what..as I progress, I will take pictures of the area inside the fuse where the braces cross over. This still ends up two times around 3/16" plywood and around 2" tall for each diehedral brace around 2 feet long. You and I,( Now that you have me looking) then can decide what to do, and I will watch the area as I build it for ANY signs of flex!!...Hmm. there are two "Kind of"
1/4" bolts holding each wing to the side of the fuse..could add area there to transfer more load to the fuse...I will take pictures there too.
Thanks,
Twinman
Old 07-23-2007, 02:30 PM
twinman

jrf Ok,, here is the picture of the dihedral braces installed. They butt up against internal plywood cross braces. I believe they are supposed to bolt there for removal..Naw..Out comes the thick CA..Perminately installed. Note, the sides of this area are also doubled and almost 1/4" think for the wing mounting and two on each side uh...3/16" metric bolts on each side hold the wing also. The braces slide into the wings.
Hope that clear it up..back to building.
There are also two dowls in the back, one on each side to help keep the wing straight.
Twinman

Name:	Xv64247.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	728710  
Old 07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
twinman

Ok the build begins. So what do you get for $350? Built up airframe, fiberglass nacelle covers..Scale?? Uh..could be better, fiberglass nose cone, bolt on nacelles, Hardware..uh..will use my stuff, 85" wing span,,measured 41" wings and around 4" fuse width. Wings that slide onto dihedral braces and bolt on from the inside of the fuse. Engine mounts that give the option of up right or inverted mount...Look OK. Six flaps..but four servo locations..Fixed that!
What you do not get. Landing gear of any sort, but designed for retract landing gear Example Spring Air 102HDF7F, Of course radio or engines, Fuel tanks,,but Grapner 14 OZ fit right in there p/n 236.
More as we get into this.
Twinman

Name:	Ki18218.jpg
Views:	46
ID:	728724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61417.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	728725  
Old 07-23-2007, 03:30 PM
twinman

Tail assembly. The openings for the rudder and horizontal stabilizer are covered in the blue covering, but the openings are easily found with a little imagination. The horizontal stabilizer slides into the fuse from the side and is surrounded by plywood. After lining up the horizontal stabilizer for parallel fit and marking the covering to be removed for a good glue joint, I was worried that if I glued the bare wood before entry it would scrap off as it slid in. Solution, drill three small holes in the stabilizer and make a channel to the rear for the med. thick CA to flow and hold all areas after it is in place. The vertical rudder must have it's covering removed and bottoms out on the stabilizer and here again, held by plywood. As always pre-fit everything to make sure of fit up with wet glue in there. The rudder must be straight with the back of the fuse when seated. I did find a small brace inside the rudder cavity that I had to clearance the rudder to clear. I will go pull pull on the rudder.
I used three hinges each for the rudder and elevator halves. The elevators are not connected.
Twinman

Name:	Vt56999.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	728728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31576.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	728729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72807.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	728730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72353.jpg
ID:	728731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13963.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	728732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79860.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	728733  
Old 07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
twinman

Tail controls Used 80 oz rudder servo for all tail surfaces. Pull pull and two, one on each side for the horizontal stabilizer direct linkage. I did add more wood to the depth of the screw mounting holes for a better bite. This is plywood but wanted more thread. Here again, you can put the horizontal stabilizer servos in the back as the holes for the servos are precut on each side or up front. I went with rear mounted and hope the balance is OK..Will check that later.
Twinman

Name:	Da83479.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	728740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81809.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	728741  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.