Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Cedar Hobbies F7F Tigercat ARF

Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Rogue Eagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cedar Hobbies F7F Tigercat ARF

Thomasaurus, I ran into the same problem and after cutting the cross brace at the back of the nacelle in the center and reinforcing the wing so the wheel retracted into the wing I still couldn't get the doors close all the way so I taped the factory doors in place, covered them with cling wrap and fiberglassed over them. When they were set I cut them to size and attached sierra giant scale hinges. I use separate servos with ball links attached to the hinges and a sequencer to operate them. Now they close up against the wheels and work just fine.

Chilipecker, I checked with Fiberglass specialties and found they have cowels of just about every diameter and length. Unfortunately they are far more expensive than the kit makers cowels. Since I worked the scale to be as you said between 1/7 and 1/8 (just about 7.5 to 1) I can use 6.75 and hopefully not have to redo the doors. Always something to ponder. Thanks for giving me something to think about.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 PM
hellcat56

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am looking for one of these kits
any condition
kit
partial build
anybody want to get rid of one ??
Old 11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Rogue Eagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good luck. Cedar Hobbies seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. I've got alot tied up in mine to this point so I'm going to keep it and hope I don't ever need any replacement parts I can't build myself.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Rogue Eagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chilipecker,
Here are some pics (I hope) of my Tcat as it looks so far. along with some shots of the gear assemblies. I still have to attach the main doors to the hinges as well as the ball links. I modified the original openings making them smaller and more scale as well as fiberglassing new doors. I think I will leave modifying the nacelles any more until after I finish the whole project and fly it a couple of times. I really would like to enlarge them and raise the wing and horizontal stab like you did.
One thing you might try for the hatch is to install a spring latch at the back and two dowel pins at the front that fit into holes at the back of the cockpit along with removing the back of the cockpit behind the pilot and attaching it to the hatch so you can remove the whole thing by sliding it up and back. That way you don't have to attach the canopy to it and access is much faster. I did that and it works slick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73820.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1077929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34772.jpg
Views:	15
ID:	1077930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41824.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1077931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91320.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1077932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs94704.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1077933  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Rogue Eagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chilipecker
You've got me going on the scale aspects of my Tcat and I've found my wings to be entirely too long. The wingspan comes out to almost 87 inches instead of the 81 listed in the plans. that's why everything has looked so out of proportion to me. I want to shorten the span by 5 to 6 inches at the roots. This will bring the nacelles into better proportion and improve the overall look without effecting the flaps. What do you think will be the problems with doing this other than extending the spar supports into the wings. I wish I was better at computing wing area and loading. PLease let me know what you think before I go crazy and start cutting.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Chilipecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I admire your enthusiasm! Just curious if you plan on fitting the larger cowls? If you plan on using the small ones supplied, in my opinion, it will never look right even if you shorten the wing span. If you fit the larger 60 size cowls, (I used the cheap plastic Top Flite .60 size Corsair cowls) you might not have a problem with the span.

The only work I had to do for my flaps was to cut the top portion, because flaps on mine came as split flaps, which are not scale. If you use the larger cowls, the nacelles still taper back so there is no need for re-working flaps, unless you wish to do as I did and do away with the split flaps.

My feeling is that shortening the wing span seems to be more work than it's worth. It is definitely doable, but just seems extreme.

I'll post some photos of my cowl conversion after Xmas.... Santa is supposed to bring me a digital camera since mine has crapped out.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Rogue Eagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chilipecker,
Thanks for getting back to me. I am in the process of modifying a couple of Yak 54 cowls that I got. They are tapered and end up being 6 3/4" where they mount to the nacelles. This was my first consideration so I don't have to rebuild the whole nacelle, just continue the loine forward from the forward end of the wheel well. I can leave them and just have about a 3/8" oversize shimmed with nylon bushings around the mounting screws. I had to rework the cowls to shorten them, remove the vents, and the intake trough on the bottom, but that seemed easier than rebuilding the nacelle with new doors. If I leave the nacelles alone there will be more air going over the batteries and ESC, which would be a good thing.

I hear what your saying about the flaps. I considered reworking them, but decided to spend my energies elsewhere. It's what I call my GEQ(good enough quotient). We all decide what to change and what to leave alone. Soooooooo I've got the bug to shorten the wings which bring the ratio more into line (The real plane has a fusalage to wing ratio of about 1:1.1. With a 70" fuse the wing span works out to be about 78". It won't change the wing loading that much and the nacelles will be closer to the 1/3 of the way out the wing. All in all it will be either an enhancement or I will screw up the whole project. I guess I'm more of a builder than a flyer.

Merry Christmas! I hope Santa hears your wish so I can see some pics.

Bob

Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 PM
thomasaurus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rogue Eagle, tell me how you did the gear door mechanism, if you would, please
Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Rogue Eagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thomasaurus
Are you using Sierra Giant Scale retracts? The explanation is rather lengthy so it will help if I know what gear you are planning to use.
Bob
Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM
thomasaurus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, Bob, No, I am using spring airs.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Rogue Eagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thomasaurus,
Here are some pics of the assembly for the nose gear. Since the text is rather lengthy I would be glad to send it to you if you want it. It is moatly about the nose gear assembly since the mains are really pretty straight forward. You will have to adjust things for your spring airs, but I'm sure you'll get the gist of what I've done. If not I'll try to clarify.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tr51066.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1090669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73179.jpg
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1090670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16242.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1090671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51068.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1090672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93755.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1090673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90725.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1090674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx44950.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1090675  
Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Rogue Eagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chilipecker,
I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas and New Years. I went ahead and shortened each wing by 2 3/8" for an overall wingspan of 81" and enlarged the nacells by 1/2" diamater at the firewall. Everything looks really good now. I checked the KMP F7 thread and there were pics of the cowls on entry #21. They were sitting on a cutting mat with the square inches showing so I figured that that plane's cowls are about 9 1/2" in diameter. No wonder it looks so different. I'm happy with the way mine came out and figure I still need to move the motors forward about 1/2" which will help with the CG. Here are some pics of what it looks like so far

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zw69446.jpg
Views:	22
ID:	1101938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96347.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1101939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23824.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1101940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78665.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1101941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12337.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1101942  
Old 07-17-2009, 05:39 AM
thomasaurus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I got mine built and have flown it 2x with 2 OS .91 FS and MasterAirscrew 13x8 3-blades. When I took off the 1st time, I had to max out my right aileron trim and give it some right rudder trim to get it to fly level. Landed and checked it out, the back of the fuse is twisted, not the tail, the fuse, to the right. I figured, hey, cheap chinese arf, I'll live with it. Flew it again this past monday. Because of all the trim in the ailerons, it's not very responsive., but it looks good in the air. I landed and checked it out again, I have covering peeling off everywhere...what a piece of junk. I'm actually thinking about stripping it down, trying to get the fuse straight and recovering it. AND I am not impressed at all with the spring airs that are recommended for it. I'm gonna start looking around for another F7F, whether it be KMP, which they don't offer any longer or the ASM, they can't be any worse quality than this one...
Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Rogue Eagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sorry to hear you had such a disapointing experience flying your tcat. I have spend a good deal of time checking construction, modifying, rebuilding, and recovering mine so I only hope it flys well enough to please me. I should have it in the air this fall. Let me know what you find to replace it. In the meantime stripping, straighening and recoveing might yield some good results. Otherwise it will probably become a rather large hanger queen. Best of luck!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 AM
thomasaurus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A rather large hangar queen, I like that...maybe, just maybe, I'll use it for kindling

Search this Thread