Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Cedar Hobbie's Twin-Stik

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Cedar Hobbie's Twin-Stik

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 08:51 AM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cedar Hobbie's Twin-Stik

I just completed a Cedar Hobbie's Twin Stik and have found it to be the classic "good news/bad news" story. As an ARF, it is a pretty awful airframe...poor glue (hot) joints, poor engineering, lousy hardware...and the list goes on. I pretty much re-engineered the whole thing. Covering is dreadful. But some might say, "...well...it's only $125!" But other manufacturers produce ARF's in this price range that are much better. That's the bad news.

The good news...this is a wonderful flyer. It's fast and agile. I have two OS 45 AX's in it and could not be happier with the flight envelope. Rolls, split s's, stall turns...nice. Landings are slow and predictable. Had some initial elevator flutter, but drilled the hinges and added some thin CA and solved the problem.
For a down and dirty twin, or an engine break-in mule...this is a keeper.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:29 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Cedar Hobbie's Twin-Stik

Bo:

You must have gotten one of the original series planes. They were not as good as they could have been. Current production is a different world, greatly improved.

Bill.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:15 AM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Bo
Now the bugs are worked out...You can begin to really explore the envelop..What props do you have? Suggest 12x4's for more thrust. Knife edge is possible, but easier with engine to rudder mixing... Single engine take off is also very do able, with MAX rudder throws.
Now, seriously,,get to know the plane before too much of a good thing.
Single engine flight, with loops are easy, but MUST use rudder as all twins. Yes, you can roll with single engine, and loop,,,BUT Plane on slowly increasing the rudder as the plane goes over the top. Enter the loop at high speed, if you snap, bring to idle and point nose down, slowly bring back on the power, with rudder and it will fly again.
On single engine take off. DO NOT hold the plane at full power and release. It will IMMEDIATELY, and all twins, turn away from the running engine. Bring up the power slowly with large amounts of rudder and climb slowly. My two cents is slowly turn INTO the running engine. Some say turn away, but it is slightly more dangerous, as the plane can spin easier. If you have trouble turning into the running engine reduce power slightly, turn and slowly bring power back. Is not a good idea to turn in a climb.
Other things to progress in twins, you can slowly begin to add weight to cheaply get the feel of multi warbirds..Keep on CG.
Have a blast...uh..do not do the immediate vertical take off's,,,as I ususally do. If you lose and engine like that, it and all twins will snap flat and STOP in mid air. No altitude and no air speed, get's the heart rate up NOW!!!
Don't get too confident too fast and always do the veritcal test before EACH flight.
Twinman
Old 07-02-2006, 08:25 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

As an ARF, it is a pretty awful airframe...poor glue (hot) joints, poor engineering, lousy hardware...and the list goes on. I pretty much re-engineered the whole thing. Covering is dreadful. But some might say, "...well...it's only $125!" But other manufacturers produce ARF's in this price range that are much better.
Watch out Bo - When I said the same thing, Twinman and W.R. wanted to fight ! They thought it was GREAT!
Maybe I got an "early production model" also, and was told it would be replaced. But......
I'm still waiting!?!?!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:05 PM
boingram

Twinman...thanks for the ideas...especially re: adding weight to learn how to handle high wing loadings.

I've been modeling all my life (I'm 57) and love all things in two's..bipes and multis. I am a graduate of the Pica Duelist college of sanding, and purchased the Twin-Stik to regain my twin-thumbs prior to flying my new Seagull Dual Ace (also with 46AX's).

I love to build and believe myself to be a pretty good modeler and am workign up to a large A-26...perhaps the Bob Smith plan if Precision cuts a kit for it.

New to RC Universe and look forward to your posts.

Bo
Old 07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Bo,
Welcome to Twinsanity. Being considered slightly eccentric does not bother me...AT ALL!!
Twinman
Old 07-03-2006, 01:45 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

George:

...slightly eccentric...
Slightlky? Come on, now. Before I met yuo I thought I was off center.

Haw!.

Your five engined B-17 is looking good.

Bill.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:37 AM
boingram

Twinman...

Thanks for the welcome... I also have been called a little eccentric as I think a sanding block is a thing of beauty...i.e. Pica..House of Balsa, etc. kits are to be enjoyed...as long as they have two wings or two engines.

My mid-term plan is to work up the wing loading on the Twin-Stik per your suggestion with the goal of starting a large A-26...maybe the Bob Smith plan if Precision or someone cuts a kit for it.

I look forward to joning your threads...

Bo