Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Pilot Twin Ace kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 03:35 PM
pauser98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Twin Ace kit

I recently bought a old Pilot Twin Ace kit and intend to start on it soon.

Just wondering if anyone has experience building and/or flying this kit?

I plan to put two 30-size 4 stroke, or two 20-size 2 stroke.

Chris
Old 02-14-2003, 08:42 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pilot Twin Ace kit

Originally posted by pauser98

Chris
I built and flew a Pilot Twin Ace in the 80's. (http://www.larcs.com/Colspage.htm) Flew very well on two OS 25 FP's. I have also found another kit and am in the midst of construction now.

The kit is very easy to build with all parts accurately cut and fitting together well. It is very easy to assemble components "dry" to check for fit before glueing in place. One trap is in the sidethrust shown on the plan. The plan shows the port nacelle only and this has right thrust built in. It would be very easy for the unwary to mirror this for the starboard nacelle and build inthrust into both nacelles. I actually built out thrust into both sides, left thrust on the port nacelle and right thrust on the starboard side, which resulted in excellent single engine handling.

I plan to use two of the OS 30 4-strokes this time round as, from memory, power is about the same as the old 25 FP.

I also would be interested in hearing any reports of small 4-strokes in the Pilot Twin Ace.

Col
Old 02-15-2003, 01:06 AM
pauser98

Thanks for the tip the engine mounting. I haven't reach that stage yet, but the building is progressing smoothly so far.

I am quite tempted to use Leo 37s, but it could be on the heavy side.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:02 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Thanks for the tip the engine mounting. I haven't reach that stage yet, but the building is progressing smoothly so far.

I am quite tempted to use Leo 37s, but it could be on the heavy side.
I just checked out the Leo 37 on the web, a pair of those in a Twin Ace and it would really get moving. If they make a ballraced 25 with twin needle carby a pair of them would be ideal. The only problem I had with the 25 FP's was with the inverted installation and the air bleed carby.

Where are you up to in construction? I have mostly finished the fuselage and tail feathers and am about to start on the wings. They next hurdle for me is saving for the two OS 4 strokes.

Col
Old 02-15-2003, 04:57 PM
pauser98

Yes I am quite tempted to put in the Leo 37. Only issue is the extra weight. Since I already have a Leo 37, it seems a more attractive choice.

I've got the wings framework done. Then I stopped for a while, trying to figure out how to put retracts in.

Chris
Old 02-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Boongala

I would like to ask Seahawk if he bought his Twin Ace kit in Australia, as I am thinking of buying one.

Regards
Garry
Old 02-18-2003, 06:55 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Originally posted by Boongala
I would like to ask Seahawk if he bought his Twin Ace kit in Australia, as I am thinking of buying one.

Regards
Garry
Hello Gary,

No, I found mine in Singapore. I am not sure if I can name the source in these forums so email me at [email protected] and I'll give you full details. The service from this shop was fantastic, 4 working days from order to delivery.

Col
Old 04-29-2003, 10:40 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Default Re: Pilot Twin Ace kit

Chris
Hello Chris,

I was wondering if you finished your Twin Ace? Mine is flying, though the engines are not tuned properly yet, and is a bit of a handful.

Col
Old 04-29-2003, 03:02 PM
pauser98

Col,

No... it hasn't been moving for a while, cos I was figuring out how to install retracts.

I completed two other kits in the meantime - a Pilot Zlin Acrobat and Extra 10.

Would love to you a picture of your Twin Ace.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 05-04-2003, 12:13 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Col,

No... it hasn't been moving for a while, cos I was figuring out how to install retracts.

I completed two other kits in the meantime - a Pilot Zlin Acrobat and Extra 10.

Would love to you a picture of your Twin Ace.

Cheers,
Chris
Piccies of old and new Twin Aces at
http://www.larcs.com/Colspage.htm

Or go to the club site at www.larcs.com and navigate to Roster then SeaHawk for piccies and then to Special Projects for construction pics.

Col
Old 06-10-2003, 11:36 AM
pauser98

Col,

I wonder if you have managed to put in the OS 30 4s on your Twin Ace?

I would be interested to know if they are any weight or cg issues?

Chris
Old 06-10-2003, 11:51 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Col,

I wonder if you have managed to put in the OS 30 4s on your Twin Ace?

I would be interested to know if they are any weight or cg issues?

Chris
Hello Chris,

Yes, I fitted the OS 30 4-strokes to my twin ace and it has quite a few hours of flying time up on it now. The weight and CoG are within limits and the 30's are more than powerful enough for the model.

Build in plenty of down and out thrust as the torque from the 4 strokes can catch the unwary if an engine sags or quits.

Col
Old 06-11-2003, 01:31 AM
pauser98

Col,

I guess the sound of two OS 4s would be awesome!

I am planning on Leo 37. The weight (270gm) is about the same as the OS30 4s without the muffler. By my calculation, this would bring the all up weight to about 2.7kg, and wing loading about 25 oz/sq ft.

Is this about the weight of your Twin Ace?

Chris
Old 06-11-2003, 03:17 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Col,

I guess the sound of two OS 4s would be awesome!

I am planning on Leo 37. The weight (270gm) is about the same as the OS30 4s without the muffler. By my calculation, this would bring the all up weight to about 2.7kg, and wing loading about 25 oz/sq ft.

Is this about the weight of your Twin Ace?

Chris
Mine came out at a shade under 6 lbs. This was with fully sheeted wing and the two four strokes. It glides well with power off and can be slowed right down before dropping the nose. All this with power on both engines or with power off both engines. It is a ***** cat. Lose an engine and it becomes a tiger. Hmmm, this forum doesn't like *****. Ahh, that's right, it means something different there doesn't it. Try Poosy cat.

Sounds great and is great fun. (plus you can give sh*t to the other pilots who have never experienced a twin)

Col
Old 06-11-2003, 04:51 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Col:

Looking at the numbers Pauser posted, I'll guess the Twin Ace is about 50" span. Yes?

Looks very similar to the Duellist series planes. Move the canopy back, and the nacelles out a bit, a little change to the V/fin and rudder shape...

Yep. Could be a 25 size Duellist. And they ALL fly like "Poosy Cats."

Bill.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:53 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Originally posted by William Robison
Col:

Looking at the numbers Pauser posted, I'll guess the Twin Ace is about 50" span. Yes?

Looks very similar to the Duellist series planes. Move the canopy back, and the nacelles out a bit, a little change to the V/fin and rudder shape...

Yep. Could be a 25 size Duellist. And they ALL fly like "Poosy Cats."

Bill.
Hello Bill,

The span is 60" projected weight 5.5 lbs for 19-25 2 strokes.

http://www.larcs.com for mine. Click 0n Special Projects then Twin Ace for a small pictorial construction article.

I have just finished a CMPro (China Model Productions) P40 with RCV 58CD engine that I am currently in love with, piccies also available at that site.

Thanks for the reply Bill.

Col
Old 06-11-2003, 08:05 AM
pauser98

Hi Col,

I have just seen your Twin Ace construction pictures.

It looks like you build the wing tips from solid blocks. The original plan shows built-up open framed tips. I am also planning to change them to balsa blocks and maybe also increase the span a bit.

Did you also build wash-put on the tips?

Chris

p/s: your black scheme looks real cool - any problems with orientation in the air?
Old 06-11-2003, 10:21 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Hi Col,

I have just seen your Twin Ace construction pictures.

It looks like you build the wing tips from solid blocks.
Yes, I like solid tips.

The original plan shows built-up open framed tips. I am also planning to change them to balsa blocks and maybe also increase the span a bit.

Did you also build wash-put on the tips?
Definitely build washout into the tips. Every bit helps.

Chris

p/s: your black scheme looks real cool - any problems with orientation in the air?
The scheme as it is in the piccies is a problem. If you use black on top be sure to have some contrasting stripes to aid orientation.

I would use a colour other than yellow for the underside also. I am thinking of all over black with white sunburst type design.

Col
Old 07-02-2003, 10:09 AM
pauser98

Hello Col,

Do you have weight or cg issues with the two OS 4s on your Twin Ace?

I am quite set to put a couple of Leo 37 on mine. But with the tricycle retracts and the weight of the Leo, I am not sure if it will trip the scale. Leo 37 is about 270 gms each without the muffler.

It's coming along, but real slow. Got the fuse and nose gear done and the wing ribs set.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 07-02-2003, 11:16 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Hello Col,

Do you have weight or cg issues with the two OS 4s on your Twin Ace?

I am quite set to put a couple of Leo 37 on mine. But with the tricycle retracts and the weight of the Leo, I am not sure if it will trip the scale. Leo 37 is about 270 gms each without the muffler.

It's coming along, but real slow. Got the fuse and nose gear done and the wing ribs set.

Cheers,

Chris
Hello Chris,

I had no CG problems with the 4 strokes. The CG was easily adjusted by moving the radio gear around although I had fully sheeted the tailplane which may have helped a little.

Weight was a little over the recommendations at just under 6 lbs but there was plenty of power available and the model glided well engine off.

Col
Old 07-03-2003, 02:48 AM
pauser98

Hello Col,

Thanks for the reply.

Mine would be over the spec's weight with the extra retract servo and the gear.

BTW, do you use one servo or two mini sevos to control the engines? Any problems syncing the revs?

Chris
Old 07-03-2003, 04:02 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Hello Col,

Thanks for the reply.

Mine would be over the spec's weight with the extra retract servo and the gear.

BTW, do you use one servo or two mini sevos to control the engines? Any problems syncing the revs?

Chris
Throttle linkage as per the original. 1 servo and snakes out to the throttles.

Yes, quite difficult to get similar movement at the throttle arms. Matching revs was even harder due to the differences in revs from the 4 strokes. My last one with the two strokes seemed easier to match.

Col
Old 07-03-2003, 05:27 AM
pauser98

Hello Col

I am thinking of using two mini servos, one slaved to the other. This may give more precise rev matching.

Question is where to put the servos as the rear engine crowling is solid wood block. Maybe inside inside the wing trailing edge.

Chris
Old 10-23-2003, 01:55 PM
dahawk

Default RE: Pilot Twin Ace kit

I have acquired a beautiful Pilot Twin Ace at a club auction (finished but never flown-radio gear or engines never installed), but have found a problem. There is 2.5 degrees difference between the outer left wing and the outer right wing. The left wing has more washout. I've tried hanging opposite weights on yardsticks lashed to the tips and then reheating and shrinking the covering. Got about .5 degrees change. Any ideas about how to correct? Of course, I would like to get more washout into the right wing without having to strip and recover. I have been able to correct this type problems in the past on uncovered wings by dampening and drying while holding the shape desired.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:33 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Pilot Twin Ace kit

Hawk:

If the wing is film covered, you can hold an excess correction in the panel and reshrink the covering. In other words, if you need two degrees change, hold four degrees while doing the reshrink.

Works for me.

Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.