Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Lightning Fan
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Gents -
Following an emailI sent to Mr. Wike shortly after my post, which included all theinfo above, my phone rang. Not more thanone hour later. Incredible.

This is most likelyRFI -I found somewhere around page 15 ofthis threada detailed discussion of Zenoah implementation. I need to pull the sensor off the front where the engine ignition magnet is, and putit in the rear of the engine with a new magnet, fabricate a magnet disc attached to the exposed crankshaft end, a sensor bracket, and reroute thelead.I'll need to try shielding the ignition lead too.
This is a longthread, so gas guys if you are having range and/or oscillation issues, find that discussion around page 15. Bill confirmed all that and more. Man, the guy knows his stuff, and stands behind it.

Thanks,I do not need any more "help" from anyone right now until I make these changes.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Lightning Fan

I really should not continue to respond to this attack, but here's the deal.
I flew with reeds.
I had a Kraft Gold Medal, and a Sport Series, which I still have.
I train newcomers on a Hitec rig with mechanical trims.

This is the problem with todays computer radios... Computer radios are to mechanics, as texting and email is to social skills.
"Old School" is sometimes best.
I know when to use the features ina computer radio, and when not to. I use them, most often, when the instructions recommend using them.I am new to this device. I never said anything negative about it ... I was certain I was doing something wrong, and I came to the forum for help, and when it looked like another guy had the same issue, I asked ... HIM ...what he did.
As it turns out, I probably did implement it incorrectly (nothing at all to do with ENDPOINTSat 100% ... isn't it obvious that just like every other surface, increasing the endpoints will give you more resolution, in this case, RPM resolution, which is a GOOD thing?), and I missed the Zenoah answer buried in the thread. Guilty of failing to read all 38 pages of the thread, but I did read the instructions.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 AM
pairadice

Lighting Fan

I did get my Twinsync to operate correctly. It sounds as if Bill was able to lead you down the right path. I had 2 issues that was keeping mine from working correctly in the beginning.

1. I am running 2 OS 55AX's with pitts mufflers in a Cessna 310. I was having problems with the engines running properly in the mid-range even without the Twinsync. After reading posts in the Cessna 310 forum I found others were have the same issue with these engines. Turns out that using the pitts mufflers there is not enough back pressure and the fuel tank does not pressurize properly. After plugging one of the exhaust ports on each muffler this was no longer an issue.

2. After double checking the Twinsync installation and programming this is what I found. I am using magnets mounted in the prop hub and even though the magnets did turn on the LEDs as they passed by the sensor I noticed that the duration the light stayed on one engine was less the the other engine. I removed the magnet from that engine and rotated it slightly so the LED stayed on longer when passing by the sensor.

After making the 2 changes above the Twinsync work flawlessly and the sound of synced engines at the local club field is really a head turner.

Great product and will worth the money.

Larry
Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Lightning Fan

Thanks Larry.
Appreciate the response.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:07 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Guys,

I want to appologize to every one who has emailed, PM'ed me, etc....and not gotten a timely response. Please do not use PMs and email me... I have had more going on than you can image, tons or corporate travel (I do more tech support sitting in an airport terminal somewhere than from my office), major family heath issues, dramatically increased business from other products, new house, etc, etc... today is my first day off from my day job since july. The twinsync is a night/weekend project for me (but got me into this business) and my day job has become much more demainding lately. Not to mention I have a lot of other products that are demanding more time too... So if I don't respond feel free to email me again and again... I only receive a few hundred emails a day so I do ocasionally miss one.... Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the compliments and the support/business....I am hoping that this thread will become self-supporting at somepoint. There are definitely customers out there that know every nuiance of the twinsync.... The most common problem is EMI/RFI from spark noise on gas engines.... that is really the only major gotcha with this product.

Bill Wike
Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 AM
pairadice

I am looking for the remote display for the Twinsync and nor having any luck. Is this item still available? If so where?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pairadice

I am looking for the remote display for the Twinsync and nor having any luck. Is this item still available? If so where?

Thanks
Send a PM to yl5295 ...

He can answer your question on this item...

Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
yl5295

Dont send a PM please... you can email me at [email protected].

I do not make the remote display anymore... too few were being sold to justify.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 PM
dgiatr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to twin sync, i would like to ask if twin sync is compatible with assan receivers, i got one and it communicates with assan module on my jr pcm 9xii transmitter.
thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone ever used the magnets off of the flywheel of the magneto to register with the twinsync sensors ?? I have this mounted up temporarily and the sensor picks up the magnet very well. Its on the opposite end of the magneto, so the sensor is as far away from the magneto as it would be away from a flywheel or spinner plate mounting.

I am running 2.4 FASST so im not too concerned about radio range ( not as susceptible to magneto/ignition noise as 72mhz)

Im curious if anyone can come up with a reason against setting it up in this way ?

thanks guys !

~V~
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18888.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1722512  
Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
dbkvn

Hi there all...Just about ready to install the TwinSync in my 81" CL-415 arf, using OS .65's...Now here is where you all will see that I am a newbie at this, and I can't seem to find it in the search area...Is the TwinSync unit able to be installed in a two piece wing setup, (will need to be in two piece due to size of wing) and I am also hoping to use the on board glow driver unit as well...The unit that I have is the 2.3.1 versiion...Any and all help is more than appreciated, many thanks in advance...Kevin in Denver
Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Kevin,
It shouldn't be a problem. I, myself am scratch building a 86" CL-215 with two OS .70 four strokes. I'm putting the Twin Sync in the fuse and will have 4 separate servo leads from each wing panel to the fuse. One each for the flap servo, aileron servo, throttle servo and the Twin Sync sensor. I'll probably combine the four servo leads into a single connector similar to this http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...438_-1?CID=PDF just to make assembling the plane at the lake simpler. I'll also have a separate connector for the on board glow for each engine. The on board glow will not connect to the Twin Sync. Hope this helps, got any pictures?
Paul
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
dbkvn

Thanks for the reply, well no, I do not have pics as it is like everyone else's just the run of the mill arf but pics of it are in the forum....A little confused about the glow drivers, the ones I purchased are "supposed" to hook up with the twinsync as they were bought at the same time from the same place, and the packaging states "on board glow drivers Twinsync (pair)...Do you have pics of your build, or have I just missed them on another forum...Flying from water is a blast, I HAD a Neptune and lost it due to radio problems and I also have the Nitroplanes PBY electric which flies great...This will be my first twin seaplane as I fly a Dual Ace with OS .55's and it hauls the mail...Take care, I hope that I can bend your ear from time to time about this plane...Thanks again...Kevin in Denver
Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
P-Y

Right, glow drivers have to be plugged on the Twinsync board. Please refer to page 19 and 20 of the user guide.
Here's the link to download the user guide: http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/ma...ync_manual.pdf

PY
Old 02-28-2012, 12:09 AM
dgiatr

HI! PROBLEM PLEASE HELP!! i have esm bf 110 with two rcg 26cc gas engines and twinsync on it. i have done 9 flights with it, generaly twinsync works fine but sometimes when i am at about half throttle and above twinsync suddenly cuts throttles to idle and the two yellow leds goes off!!! during that time, i have to put throttle stick to idle and then up again for twinsync to regain control. i fly with jr pcm 9xii with assan module on it, is it possible that twinsync sensons pick up some rfi noise or is something wrong with assan module and its frame rate; I have read that another fellow in a previous post witha hitek receiver had a similar problem, is there any solution to that problem;
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
dbkvn

Will the manual mentioned ( troybuiltmodels) work with mine...I have the 2.3.1 version...Thanks...Kevin in WINDY Denver
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM
dbkvn

Hi there all, I can't seem to find how far from the edge of the prop hub do you drill for the magnets...I know it is probably in BOLD print somewhere in the manual...Thanks AGAIN...Kevin in Denver
Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 AM
korvette

It makes no different...just drill the hole on the most suttuble place.
It count the rpm's....and that is the same in 1inch or on 1foot from the centre.

Kor
Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 AM
c_nut

By "drilling the prop hub", I assume you are using the diametric magnets?

That being the case, I drilled my 1/8th hole as close to the edge of the hub as I dared (in fact, the drill was right in the outer edge) so use a drill press and only have as much drill out of the chuck as you need for the depth you are drilling and then drill slowly. Both these things will help stop the drill from wandering off line and make it much easier to drill nice an close to the edge.

The reason you want it close to the edge is because ideally you want the magnet as close to the sensor as you can get but definately not more than 1/8th gap between magnet and sensor. My experience is that the less gap you have between magnet and sensor, the more accurate the system becomes.

I have mine set up on a pair of Thunder Tiger Pro 46's in a Seagul Dual Ace (my twin trainer) and have experimented extensively with the programming to achieve a setup that works all the time, every time.

The whole setup really has given me the confidence to now consider the real twin that I wanted to build which is a 150" Composite DC-3 (guess I better start saving)

Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 AM
dgiatr

please i need your advise!
twinsync work fine but suddenly i have an issue with yellow led which indicates that the system works (when the two motors run up to 1500 rpm), it only lights up when twin sync syncronizes the two engines (above sync point- below that point its off) which means that the two yellow lights work on and off together!!
whats that;

Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys,
I bought a twin sync when they first came out years ago...and now getting around to finishing the model for the unit. I would like my unit updated and plug heat added...who and how do I contact the person or company to review my twin sync and buy the plug reheat.
Thanks,
Bob Paris
Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 PM
PeterF

See post 936 higher up the page (13 above your post) for contact details of the designer.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the info for you...

ORIGINAL: yl5295

Dont send a PM please... you can email me at [email protected].
Old 07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
dbkvn

I am FINALLY ready for the twinsync...Ok, got it installed (using DX-7) in a 80" CL-415, ready to bench test everything at the field...I have a question as to how to set up the rudder steering ala float planes and non-steerable nose wheels...It is probably something REALLY simple and that is exactly why I can't seem to figure it out is that I am REALLY simple...Thanks for any help with this...Kevin Dube' in Denver, Colorado USA
Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM
PROPBUSTER1

Hello Bill,
I have a twin sync version 2.4 which when I used it a 92” P-38 with glow engines and had no issues other than maybe a little hunting to find sync. I am repowering with two 22CC Mintor engines with one running in the opposite direction to the other. I put a test stand together to learn the best setup. I have a common ignition battery for the 2 Rc Excel ignitions. I have noticed that the ignition battery leads if placed parallel and near the hall effect pickup leads, leads to the Sync thinking that the engine associated with the close sensor wire has shut down. It goes into the engine out fail safe. Obviously it is a RF interference issue. The questions I have are about possible shielding methods. First, I realize separation is my biggest friend. A problem with that is that there is only a narrow passage way from each boom engine nacelle back to the central pod. Maybe I should have 2 separate ignition batteries and switches kept in the nacelles (boom) along with the ignition boxes, but kept away from the pickups. The receiver and the sync are to be in the central pod. I would use 2 of your optical ignition cutoffs, but place them next to the ignition modules. The other part of the solution might be using shielded wires in part of the system. Do I shield the ignition battery wires as they seem to be the source, Do I shield the pickup wires to isolate them from the interference? Do I try to shield the Sync board? And if I try to shield these wires with let’s say a shielded Belden cable, where would the shields be tied to? The ignition battery negative? In Machines I have wired, the shields in the main cabinet are grounded to a plc ground. Is there such a thing in my airplane? Would it be the case that the motors can be that shield ground, or is that just looking for trouble? Or could I simply tie one shield end of each shielded cable to a common point? I would appreciate any information you might share with me on this problem.

Thank You,

Bernie Liskov

I sent this post to Bill recently and have not heard back as of yet. I thought I would ask others who may have had or have solved this problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.