Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW KMP TWIN - Adam Aircraft A500

Adam had a KMP A500 hanging in the lobby. It wasn't set up for R/C and it didn't engines or landing gear but it did have props. The areas were the landing gear went had covers to fill the space. It was nice to look at hanging from the ceiling.

I am not in a big hurry to finish mine because I don't think my skills are ready for this type of A/C yet. I also don't have a local field that I can fly it at. I would hate to see it's first flight be it's last.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What will you guys be using for power?
    I had thought about picking up numerous twin arf's......

I have got to say though, that I am tired or glow engines.....

The KMP tigercat, and this plane seem to be my twins or chioce because first off , you can place gas ingines in them....

I may go for a 26cc gas engines...

This plane could be almost be mistaken for a p-38 lighting, by the back duel booms......

The more I think about it the more I like this plane....

Justin
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just saw MAN and sow the REview of the A500......
    They used ELectric engines but didn't make ANY reference to the C.G and if it was difficult to achieve, or if it was tail or nose heavy????

Shoot, it would have at least benifited my engine selections on this one...

Jsistjnp ;
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: maxiemac

Hi jamesc43 - you will see in the pics how too wide the oleo forks are for the wheels. The distance between the oleo forks is 1 - 19/16" (40mm) and the tyre width is 1" (25mm). The tyre width looks scale but the forks don't. (Post - Apr 9/08) I found another set of wheels in the kit (buried real deep) that fill the space however that led to other questions of how the wheels/oleos will reliably extend and retract - see another post for more info

This is an ESM kit made in China, looking at these posts it seems to me to be marketed as a KPM kit in the US - nothing wrong with that

keep smiling - it doesn't hurt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just bought mine a week ago. Its nice sized aircraft.... something unique!!! I'll be using two OS 75..... will update pictures

Asif

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got one a week or so ago myself. First impressions very nice kit. The paint job is nice but couple small blemishes. Nothing big though because will be repainting most all of it to reflect the scheme used on 501AX (C0002 I believe) used in the Miami Vice film. Retracts are very nice and everything needed looks to be there. Hardware looks good though I'll be swapping out plastic clevis's and such. Some areas such as flaps, ailerons, around canopy will need some glue clean up prior to mating parts, or they'll never fit right. Overall I'm very satisfied, could have used a bit more detail (panel lines and so forth) coming from a completely glass kit. This is not a 'shake-a-box-drop-out-an-airplane' kit. Its a very good foundation but will take some effort to make into a more representable scale aircraft.

On the short list, it will be electric, going to use something along lines of Hacker A60's, but not set in stone yet. TP batteries, Spektrum receiver and regulator, nav lights and so forth. 3 blade props, alum. spinners, etc.. First thing is the paint job, have already started hand sanding, and I can see its going to be quite the chore. Since only able to spend hour or two an evening.. it'll easily be a month or so before ready to take to paint booth.

If anyone else has one, would be very interested in hearing your build points. Would also be very interested if anyone has access to 3D drawings, pics of nav lights and various related closeup shots of the plane. I've dug google to the depths, just not much to go on with a plane of which only 7 were delivered, 12 were made.

HM
    Radical Departure..
    ..from controlled flight

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi jamesc43 - you will see in the pics how too wide the oleo forks are for the wheels. The distance between the oleo forks is 1 - 19/16" (40mm) and the tyre width is 1" (25mm). The tyre width looks scale but the forks don't.

I found two sets of wheels in the kit. The second set buried in the bowels of the box were those to be used with the retracts supplied in a separate package.

keep smiling, it doesn't hurt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi jamesc43 - you will see in the pics how too wide the oleo forks are for the wheels. The distance between the oleo forks is 1 - 19/16" (40mm) and the tyre width is 1" (25mm). The tyre width looks scale but the forks don't.

keep smiling - it doesn't hurt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Radical Departure - I test flew my Adam A500 last week - it flew well. More on that later.

Some building points for you:-

Don't use the included retracts without Loctiting every screw or bolt you can see - I lost a wheel and fork/axle assembly on the second flight. Change the round white plastic guides in the slots, mine split and crushed after one landing, put in harder material or the retracts won't lock down. You will need to shorten the retract struts for all wheels, as when assembled the mains are too long to fit into their landing gear bays, plus shorten the nose leg so the stance is level and change the main landing gear 6mm struts to high tensile steel - I bent all mine after one landing - no it wasn't a hard landing - I found out all this the hard way - better still use better retracts.

Check very closely all hinge point attachents in the trailing edges - mine had pieces of supporting balsa behind the trailing edges in the rudders not lining up - I found out the hard way by choosing to mount rudder servos in each vertical stabiliser. When I opened up the holes to mount the servos is when I found the pin hinge supporting blocks were not lined up with pin hinge holes. I used Robart hinge points - better quality. Using Nyrods for the rudders would be a better option with rudder servos aft of the main gear as shown in the instructions and this would also aid the balancing - I refused to use the pull-pull wires for the rudders (yes they are light) as that wouldn't look right on a modern airplane - the model makers must have known about the balancing issue which is probably why wires were used and not more conventional controls - once again I found out the hard way.

The only places you can access the fuselage interior to mount gear is through the front windows and wing saddle area. I think I will open up my cabin access door and remount all the gear in the wing saddle area ahead of the balance point to reduce the nose weight. With long moment arms for the tail feathers, in my opinion this model has a balance problem out of the box.

My Adam A500 didn't balance very well. It took 2 lbs of nose weight to balance so I suggest put as much of your gear ahead of the balance point as you can including servos, retract gear etc. Your main batteries will probably need to go up under the windscreen - as far forward as possible. Temporarily mount all your gear to find out where your balance point is likely to be - it will help - I didn't and found out the hard way.

You will probably need to open up and reinforce the cabin access door to do this. I would suggest not to go overboard with accessories and a big paint job, this model needs to have the weight kept down. Mine weighed in at 10.6 kg (23lbs), the book said 8.5 kg (18.7 lb - hah I'd like to see that!) with Magnum 91 four strokes, on-board glo and other mods I made for cowls and landing gear shrouds fixing instead of screws thru thin fibreglass (not a good trick). Plus I put in a pilot (he was a bit heavy!) with a seat (balsa) and instument panel (balsa and a photo copy of panel - very light).

I found many issues to deal with including hinge points out of alignment, servo cable access between mainplane booms and wings out of alignment (I had to drill new ones to get the servo cables thru), horizontal stab to vertical stab fixing washers wrong size, no check valve inside the air fill valve, upsize landing gear mounting screws, many missing grub screws from retracts and a few other issues like, no instructions on how to align the mainplane with the booms and horizontal stab. On this point, when fixing these parts together try to get more than 2 degrees positive incidence on the horizontal stab. Mine needed a lot of up trim once airborne, now I have introduced some down flap to aid lift and reduce elevator up trim.

One more important structural thing to do is: I upsized the wing leading edge dowels to 3/8" and made them about 6 inches long to go back inside the wing leading edge to pick up the next former back. Four millimetre wing dowels glued into 3 mm thick leading and trailing edges as supplied, in a high wing loading aircraft in my book doesn't compute. I put a 3/16" ply doubler behind the former where the dowels go into the fuselage.

Because my Adam A500 was heavier than I expected (for all the above reasons) and I took off on longish grass, the takeoff run was about 75 metres. I had to be careful with elevator on rotation as I needed flying speed and didn't want to yank it off. Once I found it's point of rotation it lifted off ok and climbed out well. I found it banked quite steeply to turn so at a future point I might couple rudder with aileron and see how that goes. Once trimmed out it flew very smoothly with only small changes to rudder and aileron trims but a lot to elevator - about 3/32" uptrim.

It didn't fly overly fast but then I only had the engines turning at about 8500rpm on 14x8 wood Zingers but it was smooth. I did loops (but I will need more power and elevator to do proper sized loops), it rolled well and flew inverted well. Didn't try unlimited aerobatics - it wasn't designed for that and I didn't want any surprises. Landing with full flap coupled with 3/32" down elevator trim worked a treat for a first go so I'll leave those settings for the moment until I get more stick time. I used 1-1/8"mm flap, 3/4" elevator, 5/8" aileron, 1-1/8" rudder, all each way. Batteries used were a 3300 mah NiMh main and 9000 mah NiMh D cell for onboard glo, but I'll change the glo system for off board starting via external jacks and only use onboard glo for below 1/3 throttle. I found my onboard glo needed more oomph because I had to extend the leads to reach each engine thus getting a bit less glo than needed for starting.

There were many other issues that I won't bore you with but it is a smart looking airplane, fellow modellers liked it, it took off, flew and landed well. Would I do it all again - yep sure, but as an electric just to compare how balancing worked with bigger battery packs as used for electric motors.

Hope I'm not too late with this info you - cheers. -TP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maxiemac,
    Thanks for the great post and congratulations on getting it airborne! No, you're not too late. Mine has been on hold a bit while I get my feet wet with IMAC. Not far from going winter, so gotta get it while the gettin's good! I'm still in the sanding and paint removal stage. And on that point, I would not have thought it possible to have so much paint on a model. Its quite a bit thicker than I realized. I have no doubt I'll get a good paint job back on it and still come out lighter than the factory. (Am weighing as I go to make sure that holds true[8D]). I find the comments regarding the gear a bit disturbing. Was hoping wouldn't have to do much changing around in that area, I'll likely be asking for some clarification on some of those points as I get more into it. Am going to print your post and go over my parts to look for those weak areas. I will be cutting the cabin door out for a hatch, as you're correct in that the batteries will have to go pretty far forward. The hinging is a concern, not real pleased with what I'm seeing. Kondor sent me some small composite tubes to use in that regard since they didn't include the wooden inserts with my kit. Have no idea how they are supposed to work and give a recessed hinge, I don't see it. Anyway, as the flying season closes I'll get back on the A500 horse. Any issues you had (outside of engines, since I'll be doing electric), which may save me some headache, please let me know, you won't bore me! Thanks again maxciemac!
    Radical Departure..
    ..from controlled flight

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice plane, anone have video of theirs flying?

Kyle
    JAM-STRIKE-WIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is the only one I'm aware of... its not that great.. fuzzy..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...15176419049961

.. mine won't be done until next year..
    Radical Departure..
    ..from controlled flight

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To Radical departure (and any others building the AdamA500) - In my article of 8/25/08 I stated "try to get more positive incidence on the horizontal stab - mine needed a lot of up trim" of course that doesn't work - I should have said " less incidence on the horizontal stab"

cheers Maxiemac

Smile, it doesn't hurt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello, is anyone interested in selling their KMP A-500. Although, I already know most of y'all aren't because y'all just got yers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My A-500 just arrived today!!! I will post pics later.

Saul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sweet! Keep us posted. Not sure when I'll ever get mine finished.. been a very busy winter. To boot we had a major ice storm, finally got dug out and power back last night, took a week. Now clean up is going to take a few weeks, and by then I'll be ready to start doing some flying. Still sanding on it, sand some here, sand some there.. I'll eventually get it there..
    Radical Departure..
    ..from controlled flight

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saul,
    Do you fly over at the Pax Aeromodelers field?

Kyle
    JAM-STRIKE-WIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, I do.

Saul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So I finally got a chance to photograph the plane & give a through once over & let me just say that if anyone is thinking about purchasing another plane, get it from Kondor Model Products, www.kmp.ca. Their customer service is awesome & the plane is stellar!!! I have never seen a plane designed & built with this high of a level of fit & finish not to mention enginering. Here are some pics. More to follow:

Saul

The cowl on the left is the front cowl & the cowl on the right is the rear cowl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95910.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	1138593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh17237.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1138594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12836.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	1138595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw66947.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	1138596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us53320.jpg 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1138597  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81563.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	1138598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh16439.jpg 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	1138599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf99497.jpg 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	1138600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz80011.jpg 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	1138601  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kinverflyer,

The build thread looks great but I can't visualize how you mounted the cowl. Can you take some pictures of the method you used & post them here & on your build as well. Also where did you get those magnets from? Using them to hold the windows in place is a great idea!!!

Saul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The picture is a bit fuzzy hopefully you can see the items in question clearly enough. The magnets I get off Ebay (Rare Earth Neodymium).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd90694.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	1140235  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kinverflyer,

I can't find your build on RCMF. Can you post some pics here of your build please. Thanks.

Saul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys,

New to the sight. Have been in RC for nearly 20 yrs and been flying full scale almost as long. I am looking for all the help I can get on helpfull tips and ideas for this build. Have the kit in the shop and ready to start assembly. Anything I should look out for in this kit or should replace, do differently, etc.

Thanks

BT Sniper

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You will need to keep the weight forward, apart from that no real issues.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast