Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 55 of 90 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2243

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: KMP F-7F Tigercat

Hi Charles

A friend Of mine is doing the build, I have seen it but could not tell you exactly How its made. I do know it took a long time.
    RON McGRATH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made my wings removable too. Now that the other cat is done , i am starting on the T-cat in earnest.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Main wing mounted. I used 1/4 x20s - 3" steel in the front and 2" aluminum in the back. Better than the Chinametal and plastic i think. Also 1/4 x20 outer wing mounting bolt. Secures and locates in one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz78591.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	1165237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48087.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	1165238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lr39105.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	1165239  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The nose gear is in. This is the Gen 5 gear set. Has anybody figured out the F-glas elevator pushrod hardware? How did you all hook up the elevators?

Name:	Lj23913.jpg 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	1165318  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi T-Cat Guys, Had a GREAT test flight today. If you had followed my many Posts over this year and last you know I had one SCARY first flight many months ago using RCV 91 engines, not enough power to fly a 30 pound airplane. Original retracts wasted many, many hour of time with useless results. During my update to Sierra retracts I ran into cylinders leaking air pressure thru the pistons ( I covered this problem in past posts). I now have Fuji 24 (1.46ci) magnito engines turning APC 16x8 props 8,000 RPM. Great Engines. In my "Infinite Wisdom" I put 90 degree extensions on my carburetors to insure the air flow would be POSITIVE to the carbs. I put pictures on this web site back a few pages. Extensions proved to be POO. After take off and turning out of traffic both engines "Smoothly slowed down and stopped", had to glide to a smooth landing right in front of me. Took off 90 degree extensions and built (Fiberglass) bubbles in the cowls over carburetors so the carbs are inside the cowls. Getting back to todays flight. My plan was to takeoff and fly around with gear down to check power and trims. I also wanted to test the flaps at low speed to see if I would get any pitch change. If all went well I would raise my retracts and again check for trim changes. Long story Short Took off with ease, slowly retarded power and flew around (No Trim in-puts needed) lowered flaps - 45 degrees (No Trim in-puts needed) raised flaps and landing gear (No Trim in-puts needed) Flew around at 1/2 throttle with ease. Made some low fly-bys for picture taking. When back to a Down Wind leg, lowered landing gear, lowered flaps and landed right in front of me. I didn't even use my brakes. I never had to touch a single trim function during the entire flight. In all my model flying from Jets to giant scale racers I have never had a FIRST FULL FLIGHT go so well. As I taxied in to the pits, all I could say was WOW-WOW I can't believe it. I hope to have some pictures on the next post. Col Chuck Winter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

T-Cat Pilots, Hope these pictures come through. They were taken today during a VERY SUCCESSFUL test flight. Col. Chuck Winter

Name:	So42514.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	1165678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd83133.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	1165679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At54594.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	1165680  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Capt. G. I covered all of the control installations many pages back on this web site. You will find mine and other modelers discussing control installations. Col Chuck Winter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Chuck,

Congrats on your flight!!!!!
    Must have been quite an eperience.....What length of landingstrip do you need?
    and is that with 45 deg flaps? Do you think I would have enough of a landing strip of 80 yards?

I hope to fly mine soon for its maiden!!!
    and...I hope to be as happy as you after I have landed savely!!!!

regards,
    Ton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Col Chuck. Congrats on your flight! Hope mine goes as well on the other cat. Checked into some past posts and it looks like i will go with 4-40s on the elevators and 2-56 pull-pull rods on the rudder. Icouldn't figure out the hardware on the supplied f-glas rods.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Capt G,

I used 3 mm carbon rods for the elevators, and closed loop for the rudder....
    Seems to work very well.

Good Luck....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ton, My flaps extend (go down) 45 degrees. You have to add power (approximately 1/3 to 1/2 power) when you have Gear and Flaps down. It's just like flying Big/Real airplanes. Most modelers don't use the Throttle like they should. The throttle is an integral part of the flight controls. As for takeoff and landing distances you NEVER have too much runway to land on. I do my test flying at a 4000 ft. crop duster runway. This allows me to ABORT a takeoff if things don't feel right. I hope to fly my T-Cat at our local flying field after I do more test flying. Our local R/C flying field has a 600 ft. long runway. I would suggest you find a runway that is at least 1000 ft. long for testing. I would have crashed my T-Cat during my first take off with the RCV 91 engines if it wasn't for the fact I was able to let it roll over 1000 ft. to pick up the bear minimum takeoff speed. Keep in touch. Col. Chuck Winter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Chuck,
    Thanks for your info. However a 1000 feet runway we do not have over here, the longest field I can have is about 250 yards long...
    Bare in mind this is a grass strip. we don't have paved runways for modelairplanes overhere...
    So I will try to do the testflying at the longest grass strip availlable over here....
    I keep you posted.....

thanks',
    Ton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Capt. G. I used 4-40 rods on my elevators. Now to explain a little bit more. I repositioned the exiting holes in the fuselage so that the 4-40 rods go DIRECTLY from the servos to the elevator horns. These 4-40 rods are in a plastic tubes (Sullivan #519). You will have to do some minor fiberglass work after you locate the correct position that you want the 4-40 rods to exit the fuselage. Also the exiting of the Pull-Pull cables to the rudder have to be repositioned to get a straight run to your Rudder horns. Don't be afraid to pull out some of the POOR stuff thats in the fuselage. I don't think I used a single piece of hardware that came with the kit. If you notice in my past post/pictures I molded in all my control horns. It's a very simple job to do this plus you may find that where you want to put a Horn with bolts running through the surface, there may be no solid material in that location. Look at my Back Pages/Posts. Keep in touch. Col. Chuck Winter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CHARLES WINTER

T-Cat Pilots, Hope these pictures come through. They were taken today during a VERY SUCCESSFUL test flight. Col. Chuck Winter
    Congrats Col!
    Please post some of those great pics of you and the birds on my Terrific Twins (and MORE!) Pics thread in this forum.
    PLEASE???
    I love the Fujis on my B-25... If the YS's ever start giving me problems again, I will swap them without a doubt.
    Wally

Name:	Nl29703.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	1166161  
    HANGAR.... YOU KEEP PLANES IN THE HANGAR!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Capt G

The nose gear is in. This is the Gen 5 gear set. Has anybody figured out the F-glas elevator pushrod hardware? How did you all hook up the elevators?
    Hey Capt G,
    We used an elevator joiner and a carbon pushrod with ball-links on the ends on mine. Light and positive.
    There is room in the fuselage to do internal pull-pull linkage like we did if you haven't already installed the rudder. I used a 5/32 rod and a double ended nose gear steering arm cut down and re-drilled for the cable ends and it looks great having all internal linkages back there. Not much more work, but work the effort.
    Lastly... You have SURELY read of the tribulations of ALL of those of us on here that tried (and failed) using the Gen V gear. I went through TWO sets HOPING to make them work.
    Please take our advice: sell other assets and get the Sierra gear or you will have NOTHING but trouble. I never had a single flight with the Gen V's installed that started and ended with the gear working. I flew the first few flights with them down and locked, because they were so pathetic!

Wally
    Owner/Operator of several KMP twins!

Name:	Ax73178.jpg 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	1166171  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi T-Cat Pilots. After my flight yesterday I did a Post Flight on my Cat. I noticed that my ailerons had a little bit of SLOP in the hinge area, particularly at the outboard (Tip) Robart hinge. After close scrutiny I observed the Robart Hinge at the outboard position to be very Sloppy/Loose. The other aileron hinges were not as loose. The pin that holds the two Tubes/Posts together was wobbling in all directions creating a sloppy hinge. This was the same on both outboard aileron hinges. All my other Robart hinges Flaps Elevators Rudder were tight. CONCLUSION ** The vibrations from the many, many engine run-ups with the RCV engines and now the Fuji's, sent vibrations/shaking the wing tips and caused undue wear on the outboard hinges. During my many years of modeling with Giant Scale racing airplanes and Jets, I have always OVER hinged the primary flight control surfaces. When I assembled my Cat, I was not pleased with just 3 hinges in each aileron. I went along with the design (I should have added hinges). What I am doing now (After cutting and grinding out the hinges) is to put back 6 hinges in each aileron. I am putting 2 hinges touching each other in the outboard position. I am also using a common wire that runs through each hinge. You must remove the factory hinge pins. A common wire reduces the Wobbling of the hinge points plus allows the removal of the ailerons if necessary. I have used this set-up in the past and it works fine. I was smart enough to add hinges to the rudder during building (5 Hinges). I hope these first pictures come thru. The Tooth Picks in the picture are just holding the balsa wood in place during the curing of the resin. I can't seem to do anything EASY.. Col. Chuck Winter

Name:	Vt58133.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	1166924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nj25484.jpg 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	1166925  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deleted...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chuck - did you use the supplied medium hinges in the elevators or change them to the large ones?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Capt. G. I used all Large Robart hinges for all surfaces and flaps. Robart #309. My Fuji engines run VERY smooth for single cylinder engines, BUT like all single cylinder engines (Gasoline Magneto type in particular) they ALL go through a BANGING RPM when advancing the throttles. You have to live with "Bangers" unless you want to spend a lot more money for multi-cylinder engines. I raced Giant scale T-6 with Zenoah G-62 engines for years and even though they are considered a smooth running engine they would also go through a vibration mode when you powered up. I didn't use 99% of the supplied hardware in the kit.. Col. Chuck Winter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi tongoede

do you have any photos of the muffler set up i have OS 200s as well

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Scaleplanes,

here some pix of the enginepositions...

Good Luck!

regards,
    Ton

Name:	Nk28231.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	1167660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn41013.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1167661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ag91466.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	1167662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yr47462.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	1167663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tf49641.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	1167664  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tongoede

Hi Scaleplanes,

here some pix of the enginepositions...

Good Luck!

regards,
    Ton
    ton would it be possible to see a close up of your installation of the twinsync?

thx
    g
    P51 182cm 150saito
    Corsair 192 cm 120OS
    F7F twinSAITO 115
    dauntless saito170R
    FUTABA 12FG
    http://gallery.me.com/gromano

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you very much its a great help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok Scaleplanes, hope it works out for you....

&

G,
    At the previous page I posted some closeup pix from the inside.
    next to the receiver I installed the twinsync. next to the twinsync ( or better below ) the twinsync I installed the digital display
    for rpm read outs.
    The rpm sensor I installed next to the engine ( see last pictures)

good luck, Ton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    Has any one been using the Gen 5 gear and if so how have they been I am just abut to get my Cat and I have the gen 5 gear in my B25 but have not got in the air so far. If it is ok I will get the gear with the plane.

Page 55 of 90 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast