Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Palmer 132

Hi guys yes I do gave up on Palmers and spent the last couple years researching and working on my own design. what I would like to know it what sizes people out there like for this plane? I am thinking like palmers 132" would be a good median. My own personal plane wll be 1/9 scale or 178 " wingspan but not sure on what smaller size below the 132. I want to make basically a snap together puzzle type framing for ease of construction. any input be greatly appreciated

Old 03-15-2012, 03:56 PM
68mustang
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Joe, I think your plan is the only way to go. Bigger flies better. Ron
Old 03-15-2012, 04:11 PM
ProfLooney

well i figure mosty the multi engine bombers are all 1/9 scale so theres pilots etc at that scale so if Idid one at that scale as an offering too then there is stuff avail for it

Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM
ir3
My Feedback: (42)

Nice to see a bit of activity again. I am still considering engines. I would like to keep everything within the cowlings. I like the RCV91CD but I see that oldtimer had to put a bubble on the cowling for the exhaust. There are at least two that are using RCV90SP which should turn the 4 blade prop very nicely and produce great power. Unfortunately, no photos of complete installations. If someone has completely solved the RCV90SP installation keeping everything within the cowling and are still following the thread, could you please post some pictures. There is another candidate that will be back in production later this year. The Enya 61CXLRS PRO is a rear exhaust engine, light weight, but not sure if it will handle the 4 blade prop. Hopefully someone reading the thread will be able to supply some input the help settle the engine selection dilemma.

IR3

Correction: Enya 61CXLR TN. The other is for control line aircraft.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 AM
ProfLooney

have you thought abt electric? the way palmer builds its suppoesed to be light and with the new lectrics it should fly well on electrics

Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mentioned him to go electric but he wants to power his with glow engines. Just hope every time he flies his model it lands with all 4 turning n burning fuel....
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
ir3

Certainly electric is always on my mind. A lot has changed in battery technology and the costs have come down considerably. There are a host of other considerations. 1, 2, 4 ESC's. What size motors? Heating issues. One could install mini fans in the cowls to pull air through for cooling. The ESC's will get quite hot as well as the motors. An ESC can fail. A Battery could fail. Not much difference running fuel or electrics. They each have their specific problems that must be overcome.

BTW, I haven't completed reading the entire thread but there was a time that you swore that fuel was the only way to go. What happened to change your mind. I'm not starting a slug fest, just curious.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 AM
ProfLooney

I still am in the gas mode thats why mine is gonna be 178" ws and 1/9th scale so I can fit gasser in no problem. but Ibeen seeing some of the new electrics coming out that can pull a 30 lb plane and as you said battery prices etc dropping drastically so on something with small cowls that cant hide a conventional engine I would think electric so Ican keep the scale outlines without some engine head sticking out.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Samedayservice

saw you sold yours didyou finish it?

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

I did mentioned him to go electric but he wants to power his with glow engines. Just hope every time he flies his model it lands with all 4 turning n burning fuel....
Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 AM
ivves

ORIGINAL: ir3

Certainly electric is always on my mind. A lot has changed in battery technology and the costs have come down considerably. There are a host of other considerations. 1, 2, 4 ESC's. What size motors? Heating issues. One could install mini fans in the cowls to pull air through for cooling. The ESC's will get quite hot as well as the motors. An ESC can fail. A Battery could fail. Not much difference running fuel or electrics. They each have their specific problems that must be overcome.

BTW, I haven't completed reading the entire thread but there was a time that you swore that fuel was the only way to go. What happened to change your mind. I'm not starting a slug fest, just curious.
Some photos and videos of my Palmer 132" c-130 electric !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_FFyV4L90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MJN4_0r_Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKtl9MJlpCE

https://plus.google.com/photos/11414...19199494389809

Ivan.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:46 AM
maddingo

Ivan,

Thanks so much for that last link. I had always wondered how you pulled of the rudder that comes off and how to get your wings from not popping off in flight. This is great.

Fantastic build. This is great information for when I begin my build.

Best.

Dave
Old 03-17-2012, 11:34 AM
ir3

Frank, Mike,

If you are still getting updates from the thread, I need some dimensional information about the flap system. It is not clear exactly where the attach point for the pull down rod is on the lower flap surface. Could you supply a distance from the trailing edge of the flap. Also, what is the length of the servo arm and the attach points on the servo arm for the two actuating rods. The flap system is spectacular. A great improvement over the Robart Hinges. Albeit, it seems that one could modify the Robart hinges to move the flap back further and then down but your system appears to be easy to implement once you know all of the dynamics.

Thanks,

IR3
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
fordtech09

Hey Guys, Has anyone put brakes on their main gear tires. i've seen some set ups for brakes but with the amount of space between the tires and fuselage i haven't had any luck until now.
I found a set of vintage rc wheel brakes that DuBro had made but i couldn't find any info on-line about them. i won the bid for them and their in the mail headed my way. they are about an 1 inch
in diameter and will fit the DuBro wheels. My wheels are 3 inches in diameter and have enough room to the inside.
These are going on my ASM C-130 but before i put them on i going to try to make copies of them and get all the dimensions.

Jerry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33327.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1741319  
Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM
ir3

When I bought my retracts from Century Jet I asked for brakes. They fit nicely tucked into the rims and do not interfere with the landing gear vertical motion.

IR3
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 PM
ir3

Hi Jerry,

I should have read further. You must not be building the 1/12 scale version. The main wheels are 4 1/2 " in diameter. The breaks for the 1/12 scale that Century Jet supplies fits snugly into a recess in the wheel so that there is no brake component that can interfere with the raising and lowering of the gear. The only part that sticks out is the nipple for the air line. I believe that the parts that you are showing are probably for fixed gear such that you can run a cable to the lever arms to apply the brakes, probably through servo. Those brakes might be a bit complicated in a system that retracts like the Palmer C-130's.

IR3
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 PM
fordtech09

Ya I checked the Century website and the smallest was the 3 1/2 wheels. My C-130 is the Advanced Scale Models and the main tires are only 3 inches in diameter. The wheel hub is the same as the Dubros so i should be
make them fit. i can use cable with a servo to operate the brakes. Here's a a couple of pics of my main gear.

Name:	Ay73488.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1741593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15175.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1741594  
Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 AM
ir3

You may try contacting Glennis Aircraft in California. He does all kinds of custom work for retracts, wheels, and brakes. It may take some time for a response from him but a phone call might speed up the process.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Skydanz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: fordtech09

Hey Guys, Has anyone put brakes on their main gear tires. i've seen some set ups for brakes but with the amount of space between the tires and fuselage i haven't had any luck until now.
I found a set of vintage rc wheel brakes that DuBro had made but i couldn't find any info on-line about them. i won the bid for them and their in the mail headed my way. they are about an 1 inch
in diameter and will fit the DuBro wheels. My wheels are 3 inches in diameter and have enough room to the inside.
These are going on my ASM C-130 but before i put them on i going to try to make copies of them and get all the dimensions.

Jerry.
Hey Jerry, great find! I have been looking for brakes just like those for another project I've been working on. Send me some photos when you get them. If you decide to duplicate them, let me know.

Don

BTW my Herc is nearly ready for paint. Gary cut out the ramp and rear door and it's been a lot of work to get the structure stiffened back up.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 PM
fordtech09

Hi Don, Good to hear from you.I'll take some pictures of the brakes and i'll post them on the ASM C-130 forums. Hey i'm set for Castle and going to keep my C-130 grounded until a week before the event.
Hope you can make it there with your C-130 and we can have two C-130s at the event.Also I got a copy of the 1981 DEC issue of Model Airplane News with the Skip Mast C-130 build and i do have the original plans that i got back in 1982 right after it came out. been thinking about building that airplane with all new updates. i do have all the patterns cutouts and the original fiberglass nacelles.

Jerry.

Name:	Ay74780.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	1745270  
Old 03-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Skydanz
My Feedback: (1)

Good to hear from you too Jerry. It may be tight to have it flying for Castle but it should be there either way. I'm afraid to ask, has anyone heard from greeter896 Gary? He wasn't doing so well when I picked up his plane.
It looks like I may also have a pushback truck in operation for Castle. Too many things to do and never enough time!
The rear door and ramp will be functional so who knows what gems are in store?
Good news is that the motor standoffs are one piece cnc aluminum. That's one less thing to worry about breaking on this thing. I didn't have much problem with the longer battery leads after 50+ flights so I think we are going with the same set up as Bert 1. Has anyone flown with the ramp and door open in flight? Are there trim changes needed while opening and closing. Do I need a strong servo to hold the ramp or door open or closed or just standard pressures apply.

It looks like I'll be tail heavy with all the changes to the doors so I am adding ballast to the nose to offset. I would love to get a set of those wheel brakes for the C-130, more to hold for full power rollout than to actually stop. I envision part of our Airshow routine is to set brake, power to 85% release, full power, ignite RATOs and pull a 500' 45* climb and pushover. It will do it without the rockets but they just add to the ahhh factor. More pics to come as time allows.

DC
Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Folks,

Looks like i will be rejoining this C130 fever once again, looking into buying my Palmer C130 back in coming few weeks...
It wasn't same for me when it went to another guy and i felt a open gap left that couldn't be filled else wise, so lets see when she is back int he fleet of my giants...
Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 AM
1wolf
My Feedback: (3)

So Looney did you get that design worked out?
I am looking for a Largeish 160 to 200 plan for one of these. What's available?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 AM
shoveldirt

Folks-

As much as I would like to keep it, I haven't worked on this project in a long time. I would like to see it finished, so I am offering it up for sale. I know this isn't the place to sell it so it will be posted in the marketplace or you can PM me for details. I you or anyone you know wants a partially built 132" kit, feel free to send them my way. I will post the link once I have inventoried everything.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 10-29-2012, 01:03 PM
[email protected]

Hey guys, I have ordered my palmer plans today and wanted to order them first to see if this is something I want to get into... Can you guys give me any info as how hard is it to build? any pointers would help..
THANKS!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 AM
schwatd

Greetings Fellow C-130 fans, after a long and unexpected absence,... I have returned. While most of you will be going, "so what" and I would agree, my friend UkerDuker and I were the 2 that started this thread many years ago. I have gone through divorce, theft of property (including airplanes) moving and remarriage. My new wife is absolutely fabulous about this hobby, she loves helis, We have been remodeling our basement so I have a workshop in the basement that has great light, storage and work space. I am currently finishing a few aircraft to test the space and get the logistics right before I restart my C-130 project.

I want all of you to know that I have read through all 73 pages of our thread and I am overwhelmed at the fantastic builders and craftsman that have joined this group. I would like to think that maybe one day soon we could all arrange to meet at Joe Nail or another big event and showcase a bunch of great C-130s!!

Sam, where are we with the scale 4 bladed and potentially 6 bladed props? I do have C-130J plans if anyone is interested. I got the plug information directly from Martin-Merretta in Georgia.

I am still planning on using my RCV90sp engines. I still have some thoughts on the fuel system and flaps. I have decided to purchase the Seagull Eagletree system live data downlink to maintain the aircraft in flight, so I will need a co-pilot all the time. I have an operations flight manual for a C-130 if anyone is interested, the power curve/dirty/clean information is very helpful. I believe a large portion of the crashes we see on youtube are due to 2 factors. 1) improper construction-including engine power/performance, CG, wing and horz. stab. incidence and flight control surfaces range of movement. or 2) flight inputs outside the aircraft fight envelope parameters - it's not a pattern airplane.

I currently have a C-160, a Cessna 337 and an HH-60 Jayhawk on the work bench. As soon as they are done, the Herk comes out to play. The C-160 only needs the control rods to the rudder and elevator attached and it's done, the 337 needs engines and radio mounted and its done, the Jayhawk is early and needs a fair amount of work done, but it is pretty straight forward. maybe a month or so if I can get my head wrapped around the conversion from nitro to electric.

Good day all!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.