Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

ORIGINAL: dmcconneyherc

Actually to be honest, Canada does not have any -30s. I fell in love with the RAF ones when I was in the CAF. I thought the RAF in-flight refueling probe was great too. CAF doesn't have any of those either. Oh well. They at least got the Globemaster which I thought was a good choice.

When I get the flaps built, I will post pics and info. My idea is not that hard. The landing gear should be cool too.

Dave
Hey actually even though CAF doesn't have stretched Hercules your model in there present Low wiz gray livery would look awesome. Now how hard will it be to fly due to this color against blue sky is another story, i model itself will stand out. Oh yeah refueling probe would be super also if you would add that too.

I used to have white metal conversion kit of the refueling probe for 1/72nd kit that i sold couple years ago or i would have layed it on the paper to show how it would go on top of the fuselage.

Sure do post your flap mechanism pictures and method as you go along, it's always good to share different ideas to achieve same goal.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:31 AM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I make progress towards overhauling my workshop, my employer decided to send me out of town until Christmas. [:@] I am ready to resume building, but I'm stuck in Vermont. (BURRRRR!!! [X(])

I have decided to make a huge modification to my build. After years of resisting the dark-side, I have made the difficult decision to switch to electric. Now before anyone cries foul or petitions to have me commited, I have not made this decision lightly. After weighing all the Pros/Cons I have this list:
- the cost is about about the same
- There is no CG issues with the fuel (burn) load
- The predicted power(thrust) exceeds that of the RC-90SPs
- No flameouts, motors syncronized with ESCs verses the Quad-sync, no engine tuning
- Reduced weight (Batteries-v-fuel)
- More scale appearance since the nacelle will not have holes for the carb or exhaust
- Could potentially incorporate counter rotating props (I know a C-130 doesnt have this) to reduce yaw in the event of an ESC failure

- No scale sound, exhaust, smell (I like the smell of nitro in the morning!!)
- Potential fire hazard with batteries
- Reduced flight time
- Longer turn around time for flights (recharging)
- I don't know much about electrics verses glow engines

There are probably more reasons on both sides of this arguement, but I'm drawing a blank right now. Either way, I am moving forward with my plan. As in the past, I will continue to document all aspects of this change.

Mike
Old 12-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Dad_Roman

Wow Mike, thats a huge step! Good luck!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:24 PM
rcmiket

Mike you don't have to worry about the fire hazard with Li Po's if you just follow directions. The only fire hazard I see is the burning hole in your wallet when you start getting prices on everything you'll need. Good Luck Mike
Old 12-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

.......the burning hole in your wallet when you start getting prices on everything you'll need. Good Luck Mike
Yea no kiddin. Dont think ya want to put Hobby Citys finest in this puppy

This one might leave a mark
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 PM
rcmiket

Now that's funny,I know what you mean. My EDF's and helicopter's are worth too much to skim on electronics and batteries. Mike
Old 12-04-2008, 07:38 PM
mironpopescu1

Hello Frank, this baby is ready for Monday first fligth. 38 lbs fueled and 4xOS 70 pulling 24 lbs trust on the ground fish scale i feel confident will soar. More after Monday Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68341.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1083906  
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Props4ever

Well you are the captain of this madness boat so what can we say....hehe

Wow that's huge change of mind Mike, wonder how did it occurred to ya juss like that!!. I know few others with 4 engined models are going electric also but I would rather stay normal with glows...Too much expanse for me to convert my Connie into electric now that i have all engines, tanks, mounts, glow plug and fuel lines for it...

Best of luck Captain, let us know about ur change and how it worked in ya favor....

Sam
Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: mironpopescu1

Hello Frank, this baby is ready for Monday first fligth. 38 lbs fueled and 4xOS 70 pulling 24 lbs trust on the ground fish scale i feel confident will soar. More after Monday Mike

Mironpoescu1,

Your herky bird in US coast guard colors is looking splendidly awesome man!!, Keep us updated how maiden flight goes...
Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
dmcconneyherc

Mike ...

I am very curious that you have chosen to switch to electric. I started this build with electric in mind but have switched to nitro because I could not overcome the following:

1) I could not find electrics to handle 15 x 12 four blade props
2) The motors I have been looking at require too many cells to be practical
3) The amount of cells I would need results in 2 batteries per motor.
4) It takes approximately 45 - 60 minutes per battery. This results in approximately 8 hours for a complete recharge
5) The prices for electric (for my choices) are $175 per motor and $350 per battery (8x) (Canadian dollars). This is for one set.
6) The way I have figured it out, this would drastically increase my weight.

Based on the above, I decided to go with the RCV 90s. I talked to RCV Engines and they said there would be no problems using MAC Products exhaust extensions to place the silencers in the back of the nacelles right at the actual exhaust pipe exit of the nacelle.

I will be the first to admit that I may have gotten my electrics in part or completely wrong. If anyone has info on motors and batteries that will make this a practical alternative, please let us know. I like the idea of electrics over nitro since I am from an elctronics background. I do want to stick with the 15 x 12 four blade prop configuration though and the RCV 90SP will do this with no problems according to RCV.

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Dave
Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 PM
UkerDuker

Wow that's huge change of mind Mike, wonder how did it occurred to ya juss like that!!. I know few others with 4 engined models are going electric also but I would rather stay normal with glows...Too much expanse for me to convert my Connie into electric now that i have all engines, tanks, mounts, glow plug and fuel lines for it...
I am a "glow guy" in heart. I have cursed the day that I would ever switch to anything electric. Well, times changed when I started learning the benefits. I do prefer aspects of glow, but I am willing to try something new, especially when I will have a small fortune invested in my Herc. The De-Mod of my original glow installation will be easy. I just need to work on my soldering skills.

I will be the first to admit that I may have gotten my electrics in part or completely wrong. If anyone has info on motors and batteries that will make this a practical alternative, please let us know. I like the idea of electrics over nitro since I am from an elctronics background. I do want to stick with the 15 x 12 four blade prop configuration though and the RCV 90SP will do this with no problems according to RCV.
I am still learning alot too. I only recently realized in a typical electric setup, the battery packs provide power back through the ESC to power the receiver. [X(] This throws an interesting twist into my plan, when I was hoping my battery packs would power the motors only. I guess I need to continue doing my research. I will lay out my setup as soon as I have have a complete propulsion system for one wing. I will set everything up on my work bench and make sure my idea works. One step at a time.... I have been at this for more than 2 years, so what's a few more?!?!?![&:]
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: UkerDuker
I have been at this for more than 2 years, so what's a few more?!?!?![&:]
Yeah i hear ya Captain, i'm in same boat too with my S Connie and i think same too, 2.5 years already under the table and she is still on the table..WOW!!!

Well Mike i think we can't change you mind on this one so lets see how you do it, but i tell ya it's going to be more then small fortune but great way to think as "few pennies in pocket change"....hehehe
Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 AM
rcmiket

Mike a BEC will allow you to power the servos with a separate battery as a matter of fact in your case with all those servos you'll have to have one. This will allow the ESC to run your motors off the Lipos. Its really pretty simple no smoke and mirrors. I was confused too. What I would do is pick up one of the new foam EDF's or planes and get familiar with how all this stuff works. I started with Lipos in my helicopters learned a bunch. The electric bug bit and I started with some planes and EDF's.I'm still learning about all this stuff but I've never had a "flame out" with my P-38. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28803.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1084166  
Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 AM
UkerDuker

As much as I want to stick with glow, I will complete this plane with electric motors. So,I have a brand new in the box RCV90SP if anyone is interested.

Sorry for jumping around, but its usually late when I get around to reading the days posts on here.

I am very curious that you have chosen to switch to electric. I started this build with electric in mind but have switched to nitro because I could not overcome the following:

1) I could not find electrics to handle 15 x 12 four blade props
2) The motors I have been looking at require too many cells to be practical
3) The amount of cells I would need results in 2 batteries per motor.
4) It takes approximately 45 - 60 minutes per battery. This results in approximately 8 hours for a complete recharge
5) The prices for electric (for my choices) are $175 per motor and $350 per battery (8x) (Canadian dollars). This is for one set.
6) The way I have figured it out, this would drastically increase my weight.
-First off, I was fixed on using a 4 bladed prop too. Now I realize I the looks are only good if I am in a contest. I simply want efficency and performance.

-I started toying with the electric idea a year or more ago. Back them everything was still new and very pricy. Since that time, I have seen prices drop and a much better variety of choices. This goes for the motors, ESCs and batteries alike. My plan would call for 2 batteries, one running 2 motors. This may change when I get everything setup on the bench.

-The recharge time sucks. There is no getting around this point. Glow has a definate leg-up in this fight.

- My weight should be lighter. The motors compared to the RCV90's, I will save 55ozs. If my fingers and toes add up, that approx 3.5 lbs. (not a bad start) The weight will really depend on the battery requirement, 2 or 4 Lipos.

-The costs to switch to electric will be roughly the same. I will post my parts, pics, and costs as soon as I get a complete wing set (2motors, 2ESCs, and battery(s)).

Anyway you look at this project, its an uphill fight. Mironpopescu1, your Herc looks great! Your overall weight looks real good. I was worried about your OS70 engines not being enough, but with your lower weight, it should be nicely matched. Good luck on the maiden.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Dad_Roman

I am still learning alot too. I only recently realized in a typical electric setup, the battery packs provide power back through the ESC to power the receiver. [X(] This throws an interesting twist into my plan, when I was hoping my battery packs would power the motors only. I guess I need to continue doing my research.
Yes....you do.

On the ESC's that this aircraft will require, the ESC will likely NOT power the reciever. Most of the smaller ESC's will run the Rx also up to about 50amps and below. Over 50 amps the will be classified as "OPTO ONLY" which means that it doesnt have an internal bec.

DMC was correct in most of his write up. You should read those points he made carefully!

Like I said, I can show ya where to get motors for 80 bucks and batteries for 80 bucks but its Hong Kong junk, not really the stuff you would want running in this class of aircraft.

Edit...rcmike beat me to it
Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Props4ever

Captain NO GOOD NO GOOD, reconsider it!!!

I would have asked you about RCV90s but you should use it on this bird!!...

Old 12-05-2008, 09:01 PM
dmcconneyherc

Hi guys,

Regarding the electric option.

I was thinking of trying the E-Flite Power 110 BL. This motor takes 8-9 cell LiPo (38volt) and will handle up to 15 lbs per engine. That would give a total weight capacity of 60 lbs. Good start. With a 17x8 to 19x10 prop range, I could probably do the 15x12 four blade (maybe). The cost of the motor is $200.00 per motor (CDN). To achieve the required voltage I would need two 18.5v LiPo batteries for each engine. AT $400.00 (CDN) for an 18.5v 4500mAh battery, this results in a lot of weight and money (not including the ESCs). One consideration I found was that a 15x12 four blade prop needs to spin at a much slower speed than an electric motor (typically 5500 rpm max compared to 11,000 rpm). I think this would present a massive problem for the match of motor and prop and I have no idea what would happen if I tried this combination.

Again I amy be totally out to lunch on this but my electronics background makes me think I am not that far off.

Dave
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: dmcconneyherc
......One consideration I found was that a 15x12 four blade prop needs to spin at a much slower speed than an electric motor (typically 5500 rpm max compared to 11,000 rpm). I think this would present a massive problem for the match of motor and prop and I have no idea what would happen if I tried this combination.

Dave
Your right again on all points except RPM.

An E-flite motor uses the spec "Kv" which denotes RPM per volt (not "kilovolts" like you are used to thinking) . Most large motors are in the 130-150-180 Kv range. You can find them up to around 230-250.

So if you want to turn your prop at 5500 rpm with 36 volts then your motor needs to be in the 150Kv range.

Check the specs on this motor... [link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5139&Product_Name=HXT_80-100-A_180Kv_Brushless_Outrunner_(eq:_70-55)]Big Outrunner[/link]...just for an example...it has a 180 Kv rating. It was also 85 bucks a month ago....dunno whats up with that[X(]
Old 12-06-2008, 06:01 PM
oltimer

Hi Mike;

The aircraft looks very official!! What a beautiful job you have done. I am sincerely impressed! Please keep me informed of how the "first" flight goes, and best of fortune with this aircraft. I'm looking forward to flying mine sometime in the early Spring.

Frank
Old 12-06-2008, 06:13 PM
oltimer

Dave;

I too at one time considered electric but too much cost! I have friends flying aerobatiacs who have had nothing but problems with batteries and at the cost of replacement its too much for me. The cost of chargers and the storage of the batteries to keep them in "good" serviceable condition is a little worrisome. One guy I know keeps the batteries in his refrig. to keep them in first rate condition. I have personally seen a guy who had his ESC unit burn up in flight!! You could see the flames in the air. Fortunately he was able to land the aerobatic plane.

One other thing that I read in Mike's message was that the ECS would be able to synchronize his motors! Not true! I have a friend who has a twin and he does not have any form of synchronization. You can hear the motors are out of sync. every time he flies it. That is why the quad sync or twin sync mention synchronization of electrics too! Ask Bill Wikes.

Frank
Old 12-06-2008, 06:20 PM
UkerDuker

Frank,

I have been doing the research on getting my project converted over to electric. There are many hurdles, one of which being the lack of knowledge.

One other thing that I read in Mike's message was that the ECS would be able to synchronize his motors! Not true! I have a friend who has a twin and he does not have any form of synchronization. You can hear the motors are out of sync. every time he flies it. That is why the quad sync or twin sync mention synchronization of electrics too! Ask Bill Wikes.
Just when I think I have a good solution to some of the outstanding issues witha multi-engine aircraft, I get info like this. [][X(] Oh well, I will continue my quest to convert my Herc. I have overcome some difficult problems with this build so far and I know there are many more to come. I'm not a quitter (yet).
Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Props4ever

Just when I think I have a good solution to some of the outstanding issues witha multi-engine aircraft, I get info like this. [][X(] Oh well, I will continue my quest to convert my Herc. I have overcome some difficult problems with this build so far and I know there are many more to come. I'm not a quitter (yet).
Well Captain sir you have been warned what could go wrong by not one but couple other guys on here. Now don't be like pilot of that KLM B747 who was stubborn and wouldn't listen to his first officer or flight engineer and full powered his aircraft while Pan Am's B747 was taxing on the same runway behind him and guess you know what happened then......Please don't make silly mistakes when red flags are waving upon and around you, none of us wants to see same what has happened to your Hawkeye when it comes to this bird, one was enough...rest is up to you my friend.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Dad_Roman

Wow...nothin like gettin shot right between the eyes with the truth is there?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 PM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

I say go for the electric conversion. I am currently building a large twin electric. It is something different, and it makes for a cleaner look. Good luck, and I will be watching. I hope to learn a lot from you, as I also don't have much experience with electrics.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 PM
UkerDuker

ORIGINAL: jetfixr

I say go for the electric conversion. I am currently building a large twin electric. It is something different, and it makes for a cleaner look. Good luck, and I will be watching. I hope to learn a lot from you, as I also don't have much experience with electrics.
Although I will have criticism on both sides, I will continue forward. I do appreciate all input as I conduct this conversion test. I will test my ideas before making the big leap. I do think I can succeed with this. I hope to prove you nay-sayers wrong. [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.