Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 50 of 75 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1867

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

Got done just what needed to be done. Got some run time, got some bugs worked out, made some good rollin taxi runs, and found one big kink to be fixed before flight. I would say they dont get to much more successful than that unless ya fly a lap

Very pleased to hear things went so well.
    Hey Dad,

Picture, , ,Pictures, , ,Pictures, , ,Picture Bring'em ON!!!!!. . . . .
    Lucky you guys that still can go out and fly in shorts as we are getting
    bombarded with snow storms now, , , , ,[]

No no no dude! I was addressing Mike's day at the field!

You know I wouldnt hold out on ya if I had had such a day

No, out of my 60+ planes, alas, I do not have a 130, Im just an avid follower of this thread, although, when I finally do get around to a multi, it WILL be a 130
    AMA# 134406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,

I will see about weight thing once i get it, it's fuselage and center wing is all built, loaded with servos, retracts and airline kit with working rear cargo door/ramp...the reason why i asked this was looking that you used 70 2 cycles and comparing them to 60 2 cycles engines. I will see if i may go Super tiger G75s as i really like them as they have been great to me with reliability and durability. I never had 4 cycles and whenever i got them as part of trades, they were sold right away, , , , I will keep all updated with my progress soon as i get my monster, , , ,
    I do believe in KISS (Keep it simple silly), but doesn\'\'t mean my models fall in this category!
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

No no no dude! I was addressing Mike's day at the field!

You know I wouldnt hold out on ya if I had had such a day

No, out of my 60+ planes, alas, I do not have a 130, Im just an avid follower of this thread, although, when I finally do get around to a multi, it WILL be a 130
    OOOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS[][][:-][:-]
    I do believe in KISS (Keep it simple silly), but doesn\'\'t mean my models fall in this category!
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, Just to make everybody's heads spin I'm gonna drop this one on you guys,.......... I've figured out how to make this one a real turbine. Increase the scale by 50% and the JET CAT HTSP-4 will fit in the nacelles turning about a 19.5" 4 bladed variable pitch prop for a total of 22 hp!!!!!! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year I'm winging it south then east then north then west!!!!!! See you all on Jan 5th, 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49047.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	1095118  
    Calm Winds & Smooth Landings

Troy AMA# 875673

Griffin Aviation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys. I'm doing the RCV 90 engine installation. Where do I put the carburetor, or what other modification must I make? I just started my c-130 and I have really enjoyed reading about everyone else's experience.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Off the top of my head i believe you have to move the firewall back 1/8" or 1/4" to get the right spacing from thrust plate to the prop. If it was me I would mount the carb on the port side sticking slightly out of the cowl. Also this positions the exhuast on the bottom so as to make it possible to run the exhaust along the bottom and out the back in scale fashion. With the carb exposed you can easily prime the eng and run the throttle push rod.

Grinder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmmm...interesting idea. By any chance would you have any pictures of how you would do or did this?

Thanks,

Dick

ORIGINAL: grinder-RCU

Off the top of my head i believe you have to move the firewall back 1/8" or 1/4" to get the right spacing from thrust plate to the prop. If it was me I would mount the carb on the port side sticking slightly out of the cowl. Also this positions the exhuast on the bottom so as to make it possible to run the exhaust along the bottom and out the back in scale fashion. With the carb exposed you can easily prime the eng and run the throttle push rod.

Grinder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't started construction yet only done some trial fitting. You will need to use flexible exhaust tubing to get the bend so the exhaust can exit through the turbine exhaust pipe out the rear. I believe there is some picks on this thread of a RCV90 install? could be wrong i'll have to scroll back through the pages. With the carb exposed it will get freah air. The only problem with the 90's is cooling. Make sure you plan for some type of exit hole. I was thinking a hatch on top of the nacelle see pic of my spitfire cooling hole. Also you can set up the 90sp to have the starting socket on top the nacelle for ease of starting. I love the variences of these engines. These are the only pics i have for now. The coast guard Herc is one i found on the net.

Grinder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67826.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	1095889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm37849.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	1095890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jp32629.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	1095891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oi16141.jpg 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	1095892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us54062.jpg 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	1095893  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8061081/tm.htm

Have you guys seen this? If not check it out this is one big electric build. Mike
    \"while inverted down is up and up is expensive!!!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rcmiket,

I am currently working on an electric power plant set up for my herc but I was also looking at a RCV 90 version as well. If you have not purchased your engines yet, take a look at the RCV 90 SP version from Weston in the UK. When RCV Engines owned the RCV hobby engine line, I talked to them about installing these in the herc. They aggreed I could easily use the RCV 90 SP with guided airflow through the cooling vanes and use the MACS Products exhaust extensions to place the silencer at the back exhausting through the exhaust opening in the bottom nacelle just as the real one does. The SP version also has a starter built in that uses an allen key style adaptor that attaches to your starter. It makes starting the SPs so easy. With the SP version there is no carb sticking out. It is a nice slim line version. Take a look at the following for the parts and details.

http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv90sp.htm

http://www.macspro.com/four_parts.asp

They are a great help for information and which parts to order.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys are amazing and have re inspired me to start building agian I found this whole article a very interesting read
    Saw the little squabble about glo vs electric I like glow but this occured to me while reading through it On page 48 schwatd asks about an on board starter an I was just curious.
    Could the starter be used as a generator? Run 2 glow an 2 electric use the gen to cut down on bat weight/ charge time ? Or is this just more headaches than its worth has it ever been tried b4?
    Rob nyc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jikiri,

The idea of combining glo and electric is a interesting one at the least. Obviously you would have to balance them - elctric mounted either outboard or inboard but not both on the same wing. I suspect this is something you have already thought about. I will not pretend to know much about glo engines, I am more from the electric world. If you have not thought about this, may I suggest very strongly that you carry out any and all tests on an engine stand. Off the top of my head I am guessing that one problem that will crop up is an unbalance of power between the engine types and most likely a major vibration due to the problem of trying to get the prop speeds exactly the same between engine types. This may create serious vibration so be careful.

Having said that ... If you have the engines ... give it a whirl (on the test stand). Start very slow (minimum power settings) and increase very slowly and monitor the stand and engines. As an idea, mount a thin pole maybe 3' long vertically to the stand (clear of the engines and props). This will give you a quick indicator of any vibration. The thinner the better.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rgfischer

I think I may have addressed my comments regarding the RCV engines to rcmiket by mistake instead of you.

My appologies.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keepin the thread alive

Here is a real heartstopper thats underpowered....

I cant tell if it was crazy flying or incredible flying....theres a fine line ya know?

C130 VID
    AMA# 134406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any updates, any maiden results, anything from any one, it's been quite here....
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys,

I just found this great site just dedicated to C-130 Hercules aircrafts, i bet it's full of all sorts of information on this amazing aircraft. Check it out: www.Herkybirds.com

CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This guy "dag" is building a 257" B-36 and he is doing his own gear design and fab.

He does his design in 3D so he doesnt have any glitches when he fabs it. Anyways, check out the action on these flap mechanisms...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/post...asp?id=8404130

He is also going electric for those who are considering that route

I know everyone is about done with thier mechanical phase but this is good stuff. Maybe get an idea from it.
    AMA# 134406

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK OK i lose on this one then, yes electrics are taking over slowly specially on the multi engine models so they could fly for years to come as there would be next to no fear of losing or dead sticking an engine!, make sense but last night i was going through the videos posted by guys with multi engine electric models with spans of 100" plus but less then 130" and to be honest i couldn't stand there high whining constant sound coming from those electric motors while they were flying. Honestly after few seconds to minutes of watching 3-4 of these videos i had to call it a night as my ears were echoing from awful whining of those motors!!!...

CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The whining comes from high frequency resonance through the structure. it can be eliminated by using soft rubber mounts for the motors.

It sounds alright with a little whining on a turbo prop scale model though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tahustvedt

It sounds alright with a little whining on a turbo prop scale model though.

Hey thats different again, sweetass sound of turbine with prop tips cutting air at Mach 2!!!!...Yeah man i wish i could afford it.....hehe
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The really big question is "what has happened to our fearless leader?" Well Mike what have you to say for yourself? And you too Troy! I haven't seen anything posted from you guys in months it seems. What? me?? Yea I'm still plugging away on rivets! Yea, rivets! This blasted aircraft has a billion I believe. Wish I had never started with them. What a pain in the butt!! Oh well when you get old like me everything starts to fall off, memory included.

Miss your comments and advice. Let's hear from you guys who started this thread. I have a friend, Miron Popescu, who is ready to fly his aircraft. He posted shots of it before he finished painting it. It is nicely done in the Coast Guard scheme. He has been trying to get in his first flight for about a month and a half now, but the damn weather just won't cooperate. Hopefully soon. He is a about an hour drive south of me so I will observe his first flight god willing. He will probably post some pics when it happens.

O.K. Mike, Troy and others building this beast let's stop arguing about internal combustion vs. electric and get these planes in the air. After all we have a significant amount of time and money invested.

Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK,

I'm not sure what happened but my connection with RCUniverse 'timed out' yesterday and I couldn't finish my post so I'll try it again today. I watched the B-36 electric engine tests and was stunned, I had no idea those motors were that freaking powerful. I was dumbfounded, so I went and fired up a glow engine and permeated my nostrils with nitro methane glow fuel and I feel better now. On a more serious note, the entire discussion has been about reliably flying and recovering our aircraft,....correct everyone? nod your heads up and down for yes,...thank you. So the glow vs electric vs turbine vs rubber band vs sail is actually a dull and mute point. Each crafter must make his or her own choice as to which power plant is best for their project, period. end of discussion, no debates, no ifs ands or therefores just done. OK so that brings us back to the original thought which has been rolling around for a while, reliable launch, flight and recovery of our aircraft. Lets look at a veiw things we do. First we spend endless hours constructing and testing a 'toy' that is worth several did I mention several thousand dollars. Then we parade it around on the ground, get our nerve up and hit the throttles,......... what is the rotation speed? how do I know when it gets there? what is the stall speed? dirty or clean? Flaps up or down? are my engines producing power? What is the temp of the cylinder? How much fuel do I have left? What's my signal strength? What is the aircraft's attitude? or Altitude for that matter? and how does a maganet work?

Well as you can see that other than some great RC pilots we are just flying these things by seat of our pants. Now let me remind you what we would tell our children if they recklessly played with their expensive toy in this manor and broke (crashed) it. And I quote, ' well if you're going to treat your toys like you don't care then I'm not buying you another you'll just have to do without and maybe you'll learn to take better care of your toys young man.' Sound familure? It sould, I have watched so many videos of tip stalls, flight outside the aircraft's performance envelope and then the blame thrower comes out to make us feel better. Well it wasn't my fault the flaps made it stall, or that darn guy down there hit me with his transmitter and knocked me down, or my own personal excuse, I got to busy watching the pretty airplane fly that I forgot to fly it, so the ground ate it!

Anyway, to tie all this up and release you all from my ramblings, I have a friend who is an engineer at GE. As in GE jet engines at Evendale Ohio. He believes as do I that we (all of us) can equip our very expensive toys with simple sensors that will give us good feed back so that we know how fast we're going and so on and so on. Now am I going to put this on my F-22 Raptor? duh, no I'm just gonna fly the sucker and hope I don't put another smoking hole in the ground as I have done with it before. But my C-130, uh yeah, every sensor Alan and I can think of and find a way to Tx the info back to the ground. I know for this project I'm going to have a co-pilot running the engines, flaps landing gear and accesories while I attempt to do that flying thing.

So, that's what I'm doing. Aside from trying to stay warm. Oh and I am going to stick with my RCV-90SP engines for the Herk, I mean $1400.00 for engines is too uch to just shelf. I've got them I'm going to use them. If Mike does go with electric it will be really cool to see if there are any huge flight changes in the aircraft. Until next time kiddies, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel, na na na na na na na na na naaaaaaaa BATMAN!!!!!!!!

Hugs and kisses, ok Mike tag your turn!!!!!!
    Calm Winds & Smooth Landings

Troy AMA# 875673

Griffin Aviation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't hold back Schwatd tell us how you really feel! LoL. Good post.

Grinder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: grinder-RCU

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=zCleXo5ulWs

Grinder.

This is very funny!!..hehe

Man seems like this thread has almost died, what happened to our Captain Mike???

I just hope he is ok if he got called back to duty.....

CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Page 50 of 75 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast