Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1867

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

Roger;

I would advise you most strongly to change the incidence of the stabilizer to 0 degrees instead of the -2 degrees on the plans. Mike Propescu has flown his aircraft and it required 3/8" DOWN ELEVATOR to make it fly straight and level. He is building a second model and is making the above change based upon his experience. If I could change mine I would but it is in the finishing stages now and too late without MAJOR surgery.

Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Frank,

Thanks for the reminder. I did pick that up from your earlier posts and have red marked the drawings!

Thanks again,
    Roger
    Roger Kurtz
    WA6MZX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger,

Welcome to the crazy world of Herk building. Having learned much from all the postings here and a year of building under my belt, I whole heartedly aggre with paying close attention to the lessons of others. I noticed that you are looking to power your model with electrics. There are a few of us doing the same. What props are you planning to use?

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

I plan on building the four blade props as detailed in a early post here. I copied the pictures of the jig, etc., but forgot to note the post number. I just skipped around trying to find it, but couldn't. The method uses two standard props and cuts out the hub portion so that an overlapping/interlocking splice can be made. I'm going to run some spin testing, but it really looks to be strong enough. I made the jig today and will mill out and epoxy my test prop from standard Zinger props.

Roger
    Roger Kurtz
    WA6MZX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger,

I did that on a Bearcat many years ago to get a 4 bladed prop and the two words of warning that were given to me(and no I didn't listen to them) was that the jig cut out weakens the blade assembly to centrifagul forces and it is very likely that the blade won't be balanced, which will cause extreme vibration. Zinger Propellers has 3 and 4 bladed props that can be used with a powerful 4 stroke engine. I am using the 13.5" 4 bladed versions on my 1/12th scale C-130 with RCV-90SP to spin them. If I have done my homework correctly, the very torquy RCV engine will spin the prop at a modest 7000 to 8000 rpm, 1/2 the engine rpm as the SPs have an automatic 2:1 gear reduction ratio. Anyway that's my 2 cents, have fun.

Troy
    Calm Winds & Smooth Landings

Troy AMA# 875673

Griffin Aviation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A friend received a 3 bladed Zinger and it looked great. I'm with you a home brew just might be a dangerous venture. Unless you have the proper equipment and know how to manufacture it go the Zinger route. Mike
    \"while inverted down is up and up is expensive!!!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger

I love experimenting as well. My big concern would be the forces at 7 - 8k rpm. If you loose a blade at that speed, it could be deadly. Cutting the prop at the hub will be really dicy. I tried it once several years ago. Thankfully I was not standing in the way. If I remember correctly you are planning on do your Herk electric. So am I. Your Axi motors should work very nicely. I am looking at using an assembly from VarioProp from Germany. They come in 2, 3, 4 and 5 blade configurations. You can adjust the blades to exactly the pitch you want and you can replace the blades very easily. It is a great set up. With the blades painted, it should look great.

http://www.ramoser.de/home_e/variopr...rioprop_e.html

http://www.e-flightline.com/

There are others doing this build that are looking at the VarioProp as well. Ramoser says we can purchase the larger blade and cut it down to achieve the 13.5" diameter we need. The catch with the VarioProps is that they are only for electric motors.

Like other posts - my 2 cents worth. Keep us informed on how you proceed and your results.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Dave,

I'm going to look into those VarioPROPS. I've never had one of these bigger AXI motors turn much over 7000 rpm (with a large prop), but it's not worth the risk.

I was having some trouble keeping the fuselage straight while building, but I took care of that. I've spent some time in construction and I remembered how we used to use temporary "X" bracing until the shear panels were in place. Did you have as much trouble with the stringer cutouts being mis-located as I did? I had to recut a bunch of them. If you try to bend the stringer to fit, that's when the fuselage is stressed and starts to bow and twist.

Roger
    Roger Kurtz
    WA6MZX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger

Just keep in mind the 12C prop version you will want has a max rpm of approx 7k - 7500.

Have you braced yourself for the final cost of this behemith? Mine will come close to $10,000.00 when finished. A lot of extras. My wife has allowed me one big toy.[sm=crying.gif]

The one thing that is consistant about the Palmer 132" Herc is its inconsistancies. I have had to recut sevral pieces and I had to rebuild the flightdeck 3 times and one of the wings twice. I found the flightdeck is a real trick to get it to match with the bottom half of the fuselage. If you have not built the flightdeck yet, try test fitting the bottom parts against the bottom fusleage before you start gluing. In regards to gluing, I have found interior carpenter's glue is working far better for me than CA. It costs a fraction compared to CA and I get 15 minutes adjustment time. I just have to use clamps but our local dollar store sells ones perfect for the job. I have pretty well stopped using any CA. The carpenter's glue is much stronger (my is 2000 lbs/sq inch) and not anyway near as brittle once dried. An important factor I think what with the stressing during flight.

Like a lot of the other builders, I have been making several modifications to the build. Jack Screw MLG, Servo controlled Para Doors and the crew door along with other things. I added the 15" of insert to the fuselage as well.

Did your engine mounts (wing formers) come warped like mine. I also had several of the smaller pieces arrive broken. I can repair some and the others I will just half to make new ones. Oh well. Such is life.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

My cabin and lower flight deck are in place. After installing flat temp. "X" bracing to pull/hold the fuselage in alignment, this 1/8" decking is the structural diaphragm that holds it in alignment. I love a good building challenge and this Palmer C-130 sure provides that. The only thing I don't like is how slowly the progress goes because of having to check, double check, and then search the plans for something that may bite me later on. The only rebuild I've had so far is a total 'beginner' error on my part. When I first started building this I made two left sides!! Boy, did I feel stupid. I learned about building two left wings when I was in my teens! [:@]

Roger
    Roger Kurtz
    WA6MZX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger,

I am a closet engineer so I love a big long project with lots of challenges. Having said that ... Guess what? I did 2 right sides at the start.[sm=thumbs_up.gif] Go Team.........

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't give up stay the course it is worth it. Ok,, mine isn't from Palmer plans but pics will tell the story.

I also did lots of work to get the stab incident correct. 0 on the stab +2 on the wing worked for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf99290.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	1199027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23390.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	1199028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va73429.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	1199029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wq43614.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	1199030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mx24564.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	1199031  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oe56689.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	1199032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ln11028.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	1199033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hg20327.jpg 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	1199034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nm92695.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	1199035  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Palmer 132

Hello Everyone,

I've found a very interesting oddity with the Zinger Propellers, I am mounting all 4 RCV-90SPs to a breakin board and was just going to use a 14 or 15 in prop for dead load, got curious and tried to fit the Zinger props on the RCV engines and guess what, the arbor fitting is too small on the zinger prop. Anybody want to take bets or trying to bore it our to the correct diameter? I'm thinking if I screw this up the vibration is going to be monumental. I will try to up load a video of all four engines running, ooooh did I just say that. Man I am going to give away my inability at this hobby. Oh Well. Try to have it in a week or so, Kids graduating and stuff.

Calm Winds & Smooth Landings

Troy AMA# 875673

Griffin Aviation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, the construction of my 132" LC-130 is moving along pretty good. Even though I've been forewarned of discrepancies between the plans and the kit cutter, I still have run into my share of snags. I will say one thing in favor of Precision Cut Kits he did follow the drawings! What else could he do? When there was a problem with ribs etc. not fitting I would compare them with the drawings and they always matched. The discrepancy of ribs not lining up or bulkhead/former notches being mis-matched are due to plan error. If a builder takes the extra time to lay these out prior to glueing, most can be spotted and corrected. The others just have to be cut-out and reglued! Several fuselage formers will have to have the stringer notches recut. Also, as these formers approach the tail section some don't stand out far enough to be in line with the sheathing, but a flat balsa buildup on top of the effected pieces can be sanded to correct the error. So far I've completed the fuselage framing, the vertical and horizontal stabs with rudder & elevators, the crew area cockpit and windscreens, both external fuel tanks, and the snow skis. My nose gear is installed and servo connected. I'm waiting for delivery of the main gear wheels with brakes (coming from Glennis Aircraft). Because of this being the wheel/ski version, I will not have any retracts. The scale retract distance would be so little it would hardly be noticed at the flying field anyhow!

There still isn't much point for including any pictures, as previous posters to this thread have provided some real great construction photos. My photo postingwill have to come as I near completion.

One question: Do any of you guys have dimensional information on the JATO (RATO) bottles these C-130's used. I would like to make and attach dummy bottles to this model.

Thanks,
    Roger
    Roger Kurtz
    WA6MZX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello to all ! The attached picture shows my second C 130 that includes the zero incidence elevator. Study the plan and make changes on parts affected before gluing or CA them. This one is ready for glassing which I will do afrter the 15 th of this month. The building time so far is less than added 60 days at about 6 hours per day. I barelly use the plans cause I know it by heart. I will be back with the finish look. Because the first one is the coast guard scheme the temptation to go Gun Ship scheme is very high, but then I think of those skies trying to take it away from me. Be back soon Mike

Name:	Ig13520.jpg 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	1213574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez81476.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	1213575  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking great Mike, can't wait to see your finished product once again as i'm sure it will be great once again!. I will have good news also for C130 club guys on here in coming week.

Sam
    I do believe in KISS (Keep it simple silly), but doesn\'\'t mean my models fall in this category!
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys;

It seems that we have a new group of people who have taken on this challenge of building a C-130 from Palmer Plans. Lots of holes to step into so keep your head down and look! I'll post some pictures of my endeavour so far. Its not ready yet because I have been looking for and aircraft painted in the color scheme I chose. I finally found it in two places; Jordan and the Philippines so now I can finish the exterior details.

Name:	Us53030.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	1247420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca80375.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1247421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64818.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	1247422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh16113.jpg 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	1247423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15122.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	1247424  

Name:	Fd92471.jpg 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1247425  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oltimer,
    This looks so sweet ! The rivet and panel lines do make for a great looking aircraft Please post when you are ready taxi.
    This makes me and probably others to work harder on our 132" builds.
    Thanks for the inspiration !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

Just got my woodkit and plans for this bird,then stumbled on this thread what a treasure of nice pics and tips.
    I will be doing mine in a version and paintscheme as they flew in the Royal Danish Airforce in the 1970`s and 80`s I worked on one when I was a soldier in 1977.
    Here are a couple of photos looks like there is something to do in the wintertime.

Best Regards Henrik Hammer

Name:	If10467.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	1260275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64570.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	1260276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qw56905.jpg 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	1260277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf95184.jpg 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	1260278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz30702.jpg 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	1260279  

Best Regards
    Henrik Hammer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the colors of that bird! Who cut your kit? and good luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nice choice Henrick but you wanted a large plane. Dark colors make it smaller and hard to see. good luck Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

Thanks,My woodkit and the plans are from PCK [link]http://www.precisioncutkits.com/index.html[/link] I live in Denmark Europe ,but I got the stuff 10 days after ordering very good service from Larry and his staff. Also the wood and the cutting looks excellent I know there are some issues regarding the built of such a plane but I love spending the evenings (and sometimes the weekends) in my workshop I think I am an old school builder who loves to sand and cut in all that wood.
    I have chosen the old Danish colours because I like it better than the modern blue/grey Herc`s and because I have nice memories about my time in the Danish air force so I hope it works out when I have to fly it.

Best Regards
    Henrik Hammer

Best Regards
    Henrik Hammer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After many many months of wait for the right time yesterday my friend n i finally went to get this amazing model. It was 24hrs trip from the time i left home at 530am yesterday morning till i got back @ 530am this morning!!!.

We drove total of 1500 kms while total driving time was 17 hours, i am honored to say that my 93 Lumina APV mini van just did this trip amazingly w/out any problems...took few good pics on the way to Sherbrook QC from Montreal city and then after model was loaded in the van. Since model was not picked up last year and went through the last winter season in the wooden container, i'd say 1/4% of its fuselage sheeting took the toll that will now be taken off and fuselage will get newer sheeting.

Model is equipped with all JR standard servos in the fuselage with full set of air retracts and landing gears, rear cargo door it operational but needs metal servo arm to make is open n close fully n properly. I just got it's inner wing as story goes, who ever built this model passed away n his son didn't wanted it, so he chucked the outer wings in garbage while rest of the model was bought n saved by the fellow i got it from. I think it's still in amazing condition as whole main fuselage structure is still intact and solid. Let see what rest of Palmer C130 Mania club members think of it...

Name:	Bz78360.jpg 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	1268605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pl32349.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	1268606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk27147.jpg 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	1268607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez81827.jpg 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	1268608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22599.jpg 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	1268609  

Name:	Ez82737.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	1268610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nk27905.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	1268611  
    I do believe in KISS (Keep it simple silly), but doesn\'\'t mean my models fall in this category!
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THAT looks like a LOT of work....

Good Luck!
    Dave Bottita
    evoJet Factory Pilot
    Smart-Fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Props4ever,

Well, I know what you're going to be doing this winter! It's too bad that water leaked in on it, but like you said, the damaged sheathing can be replaced.

I'm still not at the point where I can show pictures of mine without just repeating the pictures that others have already shown on this thread. It's close though - I'll take some pictures prior to painting. I haven't started on the outer wing sections yet. All my time has been spent on the fuselage, tail, inner wing section and the modifications to make it the LC-130 with skis.

Roger
    Roger Kurtz
    WA6MZX

Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast