Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 03:41 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Palmer 132

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Mike,

When you have to wait over a year and drive 1500Kms and do 24hrs trip, out of which 17-18hrs driving on the highways, well then will i highly doubt you will just say any of that what you indirectly said about my model. Set backs does happens and it happened to this model too, now i'm over it and moving forward while fixing it. Fuselage is 95% open frame structure at this time, i have been thoroughly inspecting it, all the internal joints are in great shape and if i would find a dried out one, i will re-glue it. I will go though whole airframe and i know once it's done, it will be good as new model.

Time has passed for me to re-start a newer kit, i will carry on with my rebuild on this airframe until it's all ready for flying.

Sam

I was not trying to insult you just asking why you would purchase a airframe in that condition. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way. Anyway good luck.
Mike
Old 11-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

Mike,

When you have to wait over a year and drive 1500Kms and do 24hrs trip, out of which 17-18hrs driving on the highways, well then will i highly doubt you will just say any of that what you indirectly said about my model. Set backs does happens and it happened to this model too, now i'm over it and moving forward while fixing it. Fuselage is 95% open frame structure at this time, i have been thoroughly inspecting it, all the internal joints are in great shape and if i would find a dried out one, i will re-glue it. I will go though whole airframe and i know once it's done, it will be good as new model.

Time has passed for me to re-start a newer kit, i will carry on with my rebuild on this airframe until it's all ready for flying.

Sam

I was not trying to insult you just asking why you would purchase a airframe in that condition. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way. Anyway good luck.
Mike

Well initially it was my friend who saw this plane and knew i would like it, then it was in great shape, he showed me few pictures he took for me. I talked to the fellow and asked all about it was satisfied from his conversation and made the deal. Just before last winter he did asked me to come and get it but i wasn't able to, winter came and went, it was after the fact this model was locked in container and it's roof leaked water from melting snow on this model!. In the spring previous owner not the builder told me that there is minor skin damage due to water dropping on it's fuselage, so i was like yeah minor damage i can just re-sheet it, no big deal!.

Well when i went to get it, it was at that time i saw all this skin damage on it but my friend and i were so tired of driving that we just loaded this model and had to pick another model on the way back from Montreal city and came back home (I was excited to get it finally also).....It wasen't till i noticed major structural damage on the left rear fuselage and more so once i started to pull off the old skin that surprises started to come out...anyhow it's in a lot better shape then when i first started to work on it, if this accident didn't had happened fuselage would have been fully re-sheeted by now.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Mike Emilio

You asked me to post these, here ya go Sam.

My super-duper Vacuum bagged wing tube sockets.
Ideal for something in the tail area where weight is always critical.

Super rigid. Absolute minimal in weight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58298.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1321773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78535.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1321774  
Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Props4ever

DAMNNNNNN!!!!!

Just amazing Mike, you did awesome job on these ones. What is the wall thickness of the tube?

Just perfect for my removable Stabilizer panels and maybe for main wing tube socket also....

Sam
Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Props4ever

Ok guys, I have decided to make my stabilizer panels from foam, so they will me foam core also but i will hollow them with lightening holes before sheeting these. I will also add lightening holes
on both OB wings cores too.

Edit: I will have my new stabilizer panels hopefully by next weekend. These will be made/cut from white foam.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Mike Emilio

I make all my own custom parts.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Mike Emilio

DAMNNNNNN!!!!!

Just amazing Mike, you did awesome job on these ones. What is the wall thickness of the tube?

Just perfect for my removable Stabilizer panels and maybe for main wing tube socket also....

Sam
Ya I know, , , that's what Brad said when he first saw them as well.

Wall thickness is about .025". Amazingly rock solid.
I don't use the low budget West stuff. It gives off too much of an Amine blush, and it's impossible to get it out of the weave.
I use a more expensive non-blushing resin so I don't need to worry about poor bonding when I glue it into the wing structure. No pre-sanding required, and no risk of breaking any strands of glass.

Name:	Om31973.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1321777  
Old 11-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Props4ever

Today is another big day for this model...

After spending 2hrs inspecting how stabilizer was mounted, i went in and made my way around them with my x-acto and took out the stabilizer nice and cleanly!. Only one stringer needed to be cut as it goes through the center of the stabilizer box to the tail cone and the servo wires...

Before i did this die-section, i took out the elevators and tip ends, only part so far that like from original build is the way elevators were held by screw and nuts as HD hinge pins.....
Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Props4ever

Pictures.....

Name:	Xv65690.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1323086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99518.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1323087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14775.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1323088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76645.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1323089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83958.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1323090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54773.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1323091  
Old 11-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Props4ever

Airplane doesn't look that big anymore!!.. [X(][][]

Name:	Fd91112.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1323092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50709.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1323093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67320.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1323094  
Old 11-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Props4ever

After looking at the stabilizer by itself, i'm thinking to keep stabilizer box intact and use it with newer removable stab panels. Now in terms of remounting it back on the fuselage, what did most of you guys did to have it mounted perfectly level (laterally) and plus on +2 degrees of positive incidence!...

Did you guys used some type of support box or frame on which stabilizer was placed first then glued to the fuselage, as i doubt it could be done with bare hands and water level device....
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Props4ever

Sheeting direction question for fuselage:

What is the best way to sheet this fuselage, i see most have been sheeted longitudinally from L1 door to cargo ramp at the back but what if top and bottom of the fuselage could be sheeted laterally also?. What i mean to say is, both sides longitudinally from front to back and both top and bottom laterally with pieces butt joined to form a sheeting. I'm thinking this to create torsion stress handling capability in the fuselage so it can resist torsional loads better...

I maybe off the board here but wanted to ask as i want to start doing fuselage sheeting today after work at some point.

Sam
Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Props4ever and me have been discussing props for the 1/12 Herc project. About 5-6 yrs ago I had started a project with a prop maker in NY to make scale ground adjustable pitch 4 blade props for the Herc. But that project has come to a standstill and Props4ever is willing to take it on again. The props were initially desgined for the 90sp RCV engine with 2:1 gear reduction. Since Props4ever will be basically starting from scratch again these props can be made with normal pitch in mind. We were wondering if there was any interests in such props for RCU members using the RCV engines and the 1/12 Herc. I don't want to get into a debate about prop efficency concerning 2 blade vs 4 blade. The whole idea behind this project when I started yrs ago was I wanted that wow factor of using scale props for static and flying. These props were really designed for the RCV engine which has lots of torque. Of course prop testing will have to be done to confim RPM numbers using the large blade profile of the Hamiton prop. The pics included was the design of the prop maker in NY at the time. The new project props might vary in design. If enough people show interest then Props4ever might be able to secure a order from someone willing to make them.

Grinder.

Name:	Zw69489.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1324846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49212.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1324847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15949.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1324848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27390.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1324849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do80837.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1324850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Si70965.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1324851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik90199.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1324852  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Props4ever

It's my pleasure to take on this abandoned scale propeller project from Grinder_RCU/Joe and see what i can do to provide guys currently building and flying these Palmer 1/12th scale C130s on here and abroad. As Gringer mentioned we discussed to find a company who would do these for us and i suggested some changes in the original design of these spinners by incorporation 2-3 different types of fixed pitches vs original design of ground pitch change capability. Now i know what pitch guys with RCVsp engines would want on there propellers but i'm not to sure for others using regular 2 and 4 stoke engines.
I also want to know how many of you are seriously interested in these scale Hamilton props with fixed pitch set up vs changeable ones.

I suggested this change due to complications relating to higher costs as retail plus the problem with changeable pitch spinner is, it would be twice as big at 4.25" OD then the scale of these models nacelles. I am sure with fixed pitch set up with scale props it's easier to make scale size spinners that would look great and will get awesome "WOW" effect.

First thing is did after taking over this project, i emailed Highland propellers in NY who were going to do this project in first place. Well i have a great news that "Yes!" they are still willing to go ahead with it as long as there is enough demand and interest to manage costs effectively.

This is what i got from them:

Dear Sam Haqqi,

I apologize for missed previous email. It must slipped through with spam I guess.

Due to low demand for the propellers and other more profitable projects I had to abandon it. I would really love to restart it again - C-130 has such a fascinating shape but it is difficult project. If there is enough interest I would probably try it again and little by little finished it.

George Majewski

So once again i need to know how many of you guys are seriously interested in these scale props and spinners in fixed pitch position and then i will contact GeorgeM back with newer and slightly different proposal to see what he has to say. You guys can post your names on here or PM/Email me.

Now initially i would only want guys building/flying or have kits of these models to get these first before guys who just want to have them for whatever else reason, i will make sure this with GeorgeM also so we can get these to present and past builders/flyers as to be fair to them as they have been putting or had put there time/efforts/investment in to these models.

Sam

Old 12-03-2009, 04:40 PM
dmcconneyherc

Props4ever,

I am very intrigued in the idea of reserrecting these props. Depending on price , I may be interested in these as an alternative to the props I plan on presently. The main question for me is whether they will be useable with electrics. I will be sticking with electrics so if these porps will work with electrics, I am interested. I have done all the math and talked with the vendors involved and electrics will work very well with this model (if anyone else is interested). Is Highland Systems Int'l using specs and plans from Hamilton Standard?

Dave
Old 12-03-2009, 04:50 PM
shoveldirt

I'm in for a set for the RCV-90's. I haven't worked on mine for a while, but I want the scale look more than the adjustability. I would be willing to buy a set, unless the price is too outrageous.

Travis
Old 12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
planepartsguy

I would have an interest in a scale Ham Std design. I already have a complete set of RCV 90SP engine for my bird in progress. Like all others, depends on price ; I would like to have 4 plus 2 spares possibly.
I have the Ham Std repair manuals and IPC for the real prop but no drawings or scale prints.
I also have a second complete full Palmer 132 " from Precision KIt Cutters with plans avail for sale if any one is interetsed.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
grinder-RCU

ORIGINAL: dmcconneyherc

Props4ever,

Is Highland Systems Int'l using specs and plans from Hamilton Standard?

Dave

Yes.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM
grinder-RCU

I'd be in for a set of props ( 5 props in case of prop strike or damage ) 4 blade 13x14 hopefully with scale spinner and size. Maybe make them out of carbon fibre? for strength. If the 4 blades and hub could be all machined from one solid peice might be better for strength?. And if the price is reasonable.

Grinder.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Props4ever

Cost per prop and spinner set will depend on number of guys and sets each would need. So basically on total number of sets to be made.

Dave,

I will see what can be done for guys going electric route on these models such as yourself.

Mike (Ukerduker) has changed his mind from going to electric route, he will be running RCVsp's on his model now.

George confirmed that original design was based on 2.25" spinner and not 4.25" as advertised on his website for all these years. He has corrected it now after i pointed that out to him.

Who has already built and flown one of these models so far on this thread or abroad. Highland
would need to contact that fellow to check what will be good fixed pitch per propeller on these models. If anyone is willing to assist him for the development of these scale props plz contact me through email or PM so i can connect you to Highland propellers rep.

[email protected]

Sam

Old 12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
dmcconneyherc

Props4ever,

This could get interesting for me. I will need a ground adjusted variable pitch. The math has my blades being 13.5"x11.25". This produces the best results for my set up. I will need the ability to make adjustments during test runs on the engines. Depending on my cargo load for a flight there may be an adjustment as well.

Dave

PS. I have emailed Hamilton Sundstrom ( new owners of Hamilton Standard) for any help they may be able to provide us with.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Props4ever

Props4ever,

This could get interesting for me. I will need a ground adjusted variable pitch. The math has my blades being 13.5''x11.25''. This produces the best results for my set up. I will need the ability to make adjustments during test runs on the engines. Depending on my cargo load for a flight there may be an adjustment as well.

Dave

PS. I have emailed Hamilton Sundstrom ( new owners of Hamilton Standard) for any help they may be able to provide us with.
Dave,

Thanks for taking your time to help me out in this project without even asking for help, i highly appreciated it. Yes more information we can get from Hamilton Standard Props better it will be for all of us. Scale drawings and factory 3-views would be excellent.

I have emailed Highland again regarding these props for electric powered models with ground changeable pitch set up, let see what they reply back. Plus i also asked what type of material they will use to make these props....

Sam
Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 AM
dmcconneyherc

Props4ever,

Anytime. We are all in this together.

Well ... time to marry off the daughter (daughter getting married today).

Dave
Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Props4ever

Props4ever,

Anytime. We are all in this together.

Well ... time to marry off the daughter (daughter getting married today).

Dave
Congratulations on your daughter's wedding Dave, i know how you feel, hopefully all will be good and they will live long and full of love lives together.

Now you can get back on building your model after all these months....

Sam
Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Props4ever

I think best would be to make an official list of guys seriously interested in these propellers and spinners. As mentioned above price will be determined on the number of props and spinners to be made, so more people willing to buy them, better price will be....

1- Myself
2- Joe aka Grinder_RCU
3- Dave aka dmconneyherc
4- Travis aka Shoveldirt
5- Planepartsguy (Your name would be great)
6- Mike aka Ukerduker (Our madness captain...)
7- Troy aka schwatd

So this is a good start but we need more guys before final "Go ahead" decision could be taken.

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.