Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Palmer 132" AC-130 Build

I ordered my Palmer 132" C-130 from Precisioncutkits.com last night. I decided to open another post for those of us building the larger scale C-130's. This will be my winter project. I still need to complete my 100" E-2c Hawkeye before starting this plane.

I intend to build mine with all the scale features, including retracts, lighting, working ramp, and some form of drop capabilities. These capabilities will be anything from paratroopers to pallet drops to the deadly "Diasy Cutter" water balloon bomb. I havent decided on the model to build, but I am looking into the AC-130 and KC-130.

Feel free to comment and add your larger build progress to this post. Its always better when we can pool our resources and knowledge during the builds.

I look forward to the new challenges this aircraft will present.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89952.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	534289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ea84292.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	534290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx62773.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	534291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jd87427.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	534292  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Palmer 132" C-130 Build

I think the gunship version is the best. I have seen them close up during the later part of the Viet Nam war, they replaced the C-47 in that role of close in troop support. Those planes really packed a punch, even the C-47's but the C130 gunships are still used today and have played a big part in the Iraq wars. They had 4 - 20mm gatling guns and a 2.4" fast fire canon on each side as well as many other "goodies". You can go nuts adding detail to that version but the tail drop stuff would be great for events.
    Rickles, the Desert Dust Devil
    B17\'\'s, are there anything else?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recieved my plans for the 132" Palmer C-130 late last week. I just ordered the cowling halves from Brad at Stan's Fibertech. I will scratch build everything. I plan on fabricating the landing gear before I start the airframe. It could be a bit complicated. That was a lessons learned on my Bronco landing gear. This will be a late winter and summer project for me since I still have to finish my Palmer OV10 Bronco. There is something really sick about someone who volunteeringly builds two Palmer designs in a row. I'm doing the Bronco in Vietnam era Navy VAL 4 Black Ponies scheme and will probably follow with a Vietnam era C-130. Gunship or cargo will be decided later.
    Gaines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

gsmith6879

I looked at Stans Fibertech website. There are 2 C-130's cowls listed. I see the (halves) cowls that you ordered, but is the second one listed also for the 132" C-130? Please post pics of the cowls when you receive them. I'm interested if they are good quality. This is the only place I have found, so far, that sells the larger C-130 engine cowls.

Do you plan on routing the exhaust through the engine cowling to exit at the scale exhaust location? Does the plans show the scale flaps?

I have my plans waiting at home, when I return. I cant wait to start. THis should be a great winter project.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Call Brad at Stans Fibertech directly on the cowlings. The website listing is not right. Brad knows which one you need. No one else makes the cowl for the Palmer plans. The drawing shows a half cowl or belly pan type of setup for the nacelles. You build the top half of the cowl and nacelle and use the fiberglass part for the lower half. If my experience with the Bronco and Stan's stuff holds, they will fit very well.

I have not decided what to use for power. Palmer specs a MVVS .48 engine that can be rotated to exhuast to the rear (http://mvvs.nl). Using an MVVS mini tuned pipe then you can exit the exhaust in the scale location. I don't think the .48s will handle the real weight of the C130 so I am looking at MVVS .61 with the same setup or RCV .61-SP 4 stroke (http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv60sp.htm). The RCV will fit very well inside the cowl and will let you swing a scale size 4 blade prop. I need to look at sizing and cooling before making a decision. Electrics are still out there but the cost is way to high right now.

Palmer uses Robart Fowler flap hinges (http://www.robart.com/Hinge.aspx) to actuate the flaps to simulate the fowler flaps. Looks like it will work but like most of Palmer's designs the devil is in the detail.
    Gaines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: UkerDuker

I looked at Stans Fibertech website. There are 2 C-130's cowls listed. I see the (halves) cowls that you ordered, but is the second one listed also for the 132" C-130? Please post pics of the cowls when you receive them. I'm interested if they are good quality. This is the only place I have found, so far, that sells the larger C-130 engine cowls.

Mike
    Here is a pic of the fiberglass nacelles from Stan's fibertech for the 132" Herc.

Grinder.

Name:	Bz77701.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	535008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16183.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	535009  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gsmith6879

I have not decided what to use for power. I don't think the .48s will handle the real weight of the C130 so I am looking at MVVS .61 with the same setup or RCV .61-SP 4 stroke (http://www.rcvengines.com/rcv60sp.htm). The RCV will fit very well inside the cowl and will let you swing a scale size 4 blade prop. I need to look at sizing and cooling before making a decision.
    I've deceided to go with the RCV 90's for power. I'm having custom made 4 blade props made up for the Herc. The RCV's fit perfectly inside the cowl with only the carb sticking out. The exhaust will be run out through the rear as in the full scale. The props are still being made up. I wanted that wow factor when you walked up to the Herc. Also i did not want to switch from static props to flying props. The RCV 90 has a stump pulling amount of torque.

Grinder.

Name:	Jh17322.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	535010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ok28666.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	535011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr41704.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	535012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wp40609.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	535013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kv16178.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	535014  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jz39394.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	535015  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ordered my Palmer 132" C-130 from Precisioncutkits.com last night.

I look forward to the new challenges this aircraft will present.

Mike
    Be prepared for a small forest when you recieve your order. Alas mine too is going to be a winter project as soon as time, money space, girlfriend permit (read take over the basement) for such a large project.

Grinder.

Name:	Hf99453.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	535016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt62214.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	535017  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Grinder

THose are really nice props. Have you received them yet? What diameter are the props going to be? I would be interested in buying a set when the time is right.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Grinder,

Are you developing the props or have you found someone who makes them? I would like to have a set made also.

Gaines
    Gaines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Grinder

THose are really nice props. Have you received them yet? What diameter are the props going to be? I would be interested in buying a set when the time is right.

Mike
    I have not recieved the props yet. It has been almost 3 yrs in the R & D. I beleive he has a set of props made up for destructive testing. A couple of months ago my hard drive crashed and i lost all my email transactions and info. He was even thinking of making them ground adjustable pitch. His main business is making UAV props and military orders. He is making these props on the side for me.

http://www.propellers.us/index.htm

Grinder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Grinder

What diameter are the props going to be?

15.5" for now but i would like to get it down to the proper scale of 13" Plus the size of the spinner will have to made smaller to fit the front of the nacelle.

Grinder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally returned home from my trip. I was starting to forget what my workshop looked like. I received my Palmer plans. I love how detailed they are. This is my new motivation to complete my E-2 Hawkeye. I'll be interested to see how detailed the kit I ordered turns out. I should be receiving it this coming week.

Grinder-
    You mentioned installing RCV 90SP's. THat would be a great engine for this project, but you will have to move your firewall back. WIll the props have sufficient clearance? WIll these engines interfere with the installation of the fuel tank? I think this is the only real challenge with this aircraft. Everything else seems to be relatively straight forward, except on a much larger scale.

I think I will buy my CA by the quart for this project. Does anyone know where I could purchase CA in this or larger quantity? Two ounce bottles wont cut it for this build.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Grinder-
    You mentioned installing RCV 90SP's. THat would be a great engine for this project, but you will have to move your firewall back. WIll the props have sufficient clearance? WIll these engines interfere with the installation of the fuel tank? I think this is the only real challenge with this aircraft. Everything else seems to be relatively straight forward, except on a much larger scale.

Mike
    Yes the firewall would have to be moved some. I can't think off the top of my head exactly how far but it's do'able. I think 15.75" was the largest you could go for props and miss the fuselage. But they will be cut down to 13" for scale looks. Early on realizing the firewall issue my thoughts were to have one main tank at the CG and four fuel lines one for each engine. But i think i will just go with the smaller tanks in each nacelle.

Grinder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got out the plans to refresh my memory.

Palmer calls for

MVVS .94's
    Tru turn spinner 2.25"
    11x5 3 blade prop.

I'm using

RCV 90's
    Tru turn spinner 2.25"
    13" 4 blade props. Still in research and development.

With 11"props there is a ton of clearence to the fuselage. I think i got myself confused bewteen my custom 15" props to start experimenting with eventually to become 13". On the full size Herc the props are 13' hence the 1/12 scale of 13". In the pic of the plans he has 15" diameter prop arc's. With 15" prop arcs there is 2 7/8" clearence to the fuse and 1.75" between props.

Grinder.

Name:	Vt56017.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	537834  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All,

I recieved my PCKs Palmer 132.84" C-130 kit on Friday. I had ordered it on Friday night the week before. Since we're starting this from scratch I'll also start my comments from scratch.

PCK: Wow, heavy duty box, looked like it was full of just shreaded paper, but in reality nearly the entire box is full of airplane. The bundles of stringers, LEs, TEs and sheeting are ALL labeled, Bulkheads, ribs and well everything is labeled. As for the quality of the cuts, the edges of the bulkheads and ribs and formers are all crisp and clean. The huge fuse ribs over the cargo ramp anr even seperatly pacaked to protect them. The UPS label noted a weight of 17#, I haven't weighted it yet but I'd bet nearly all of that is wood.

I'll be inventorying the kit against the plans next so that will be my next post.

This will be a fully functional C-130. Just haven't decided on which model series or which service. If Mike is going to make a full Military bird I was thinking of the CG version and maybe even the J series with 6 bladed semitar props.

Troy
    Calm Winds & Smooth Landings

Troy AMA# 875673

Griffin Aviation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you decide on a working "ramp" on the c-130, you need a working "door" as well. at least for scale effect .on the full size plane the ramp is nearly useless without the aft door open as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you build the "J " version you will have to modify the nacelles they are different with a different size /shape oil cooler.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Gang,

Well, I've been studing the build plans and have put the layout plans on the shelf for a few days. I want to make sure I understand everything Dan is trying to get across in his build instructions. I will be manufacturing several parts out of aluminum or lightweight high strength steel. As these parts are completed I'll let you guys know and I'll post pictures and a link to my store's web site. The J also has the new 2100 turboprops with 6 bladed simitar curve props. As for the ramp and other features I'm looking at how the actual aircraft operates and trying to see if that can be duplicated at a scale size. Retracts and gear doors are the first order of business.

Troy AMA# 875673

Griffin Aviation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Troy,

Do you plan on getting your gear from Century Jet? I like how the main gear deploy, but I wonder how strong that moving panel will be over time with several landings applied.

I am also wondering how best to build the center fuselage "box". How do you plan on using or creating joints where the balsa pieces arent long enough? Depending how long these pieces must be, I might see if I can purchase that length rather than use multiple pieces.

I plan on building a new work bench with a magnetic top, so I can build with magnets. I need to find a place locally to purchase the steel table top.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was wondering if 4 of these would fit on my C-130 project:
    http://www.jetcatusa.com/spt5.html

It would make for an awesome machine!

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hum?

Thrust: 55 lbs with 27" prop at 7,0000 RPM, Weight: 4.9 LB, incl. starter, Length: 15.25 inches.

You might have to enlarge the Palmer Plans.

Gaines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

gsmith- Those engines might be a bit extreme.

FOr those building the 132" version, when constructing the boxed frame, what are the vertical and diagonal braces made of? Are they the same as the upper and lower pieces (1/2 x 1/4)? I'm looking through the small forest of wood supplied by PCK's and the bundle labeled FUSE seems to be enough to build it, but the plans show 1/4 x1/4". The 1/4 square bundle is labeled fuse stringers.

Any ideas here?

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We need the JetCat HP4s from Germany.

Troy AMA# 875673

Griffin Aviation

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WARNING & ATTENTION!!!

I just finished constructing both side frame truses.

Allow my mistake to aid others in their build. When constructing left and right fuselage truses, the plans calls for the low chord to be 1/4x1/2". If you use this size, the side formers WILL NOT align properly. I will have to shave 1/8" off my lower chord to get the proper alignment. To properly build this, us a 3/8x1/4" for the lower frame chord.

Hope this helps all 132" C-130 builders.

Mike

Pics will be posted this weekend.

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast