Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Cox Pica Dualist ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cox Pica Dualist ARF

Hi Everyone,

Completed my Dualist (note that original was spelled Duelist..I have had three) last night and now waiting for an appropariate day for first flight.

Will post pics of new (improved?) color scheme and full details in a day or two. Very pretty plane! 46AX's and Robart pneumatics. Will install their new compact brakes when available. My previous Duelists had K&B FP 40's and it was a hot rod...can't wait to try these 46AX's. I use them in my Seagull Dual Ace and Cedar Hobbies Twin Stik. Never a hic cup (sp).

Bo
Old 01-19-2007, 07:10 PM
bhdutch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see the pictures!!! I've gotta do something about the decals and lack of more than one color on mine! Anxious to see what you did.

dutch
Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 PM
boingram

Dutch...those aren't really decals...they're vinyl appliques and come off pretty easily. I put a single edge razor blade under a supported corner and gently peeled them off.

They're pretty awful...aren't they?

Mine is not quite pretty.

Bo
Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 PM
boingram

...ooopppsss...I meant "...now quite pretty".....
Old 01-20-2007, 11:51 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Bo Ingram

(note that original was spelled Duelist..I have had three)
It was spelled "Duellist" and I've had 2.5!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51148.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	602872  
Old 01-21-2007, 11:36 AM
boingram

....you are correct.....and I have a Duellist MK 2 NIB......signed by Platt on the box cover and dated 1976....
Old 01-21-2007, 05:18 PM
boingram

Hi all...

Here are a few prelim pics of my Cox Dualist. I can post seom pics of thye guts if anybody wishes.

FYIO:

OS 46 AX's. Robart pneumatic retracts, lots of personal preference hardware, Multiplex Evo 12 system.

WT; 11.4 pounds including 2.5 oz to balance per specs.

Any ??, just post.

Not flown, yet...but ready and waiting for good day.

Bo
Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Ralpher
My Feedback: (58)

Hello,
I am working on my Cox Pica Dualist (Duellist - and it's actually spelled a few different ways between the box art and the instruction manual!). Anyway, I have installed a set of SpringAir 101HD retracts, and would sincerely appreciate how (and where) others are mounting the retract servo and standard (Springair supplied) retract valve. It was getting late last night and I was getting frustrated, so I walked away and will re-visit that installation tonight.

Thanks in advance for any advice and certainly pictures!

Ralph
Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 PM
boingram

Ralph,

The original Dave Platt spelling was Duellist which represented a swordsman duelling with a rapier. That was Pica's logo. In conversations with the developer of the Cox kit Mike fritz, he admitted that they missed the correct spelling and wound up with Dualist. Oh well.

I am not familiar with the Spring Aire valve, but with the speced Robarts, Cox placed a round hole for mouting of the Robart valve on the bulkhead that supports the rear of the air tank. The retarct servo fits in the servo tray lengthwise to the fuse in front of the ele/rudder servos. I used a long servo arm to get the geometry correct and limited throw with my computer radio (Multiplex Evo 12).

I will try to attach a pic, but have not had luch with getting photo attachments into these messages. Could use seom help with that.

I have had lengthy discussions with Mike Fritz and will be pleased to answer any other ?? or problems.

Bo

Name:	Zx70390.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	610065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57503.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	610066  
Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM
boingram

Ralph,

Here are some pics of the completed model....

Bo

Name:	Ki20011.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	610072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80300.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	610073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31480.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	610074  
Old 01-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Ralpher
My Feedback: (58)

Wow, thank you Bo for the prompt response. The set up you are using will work fine with my own installation, and when I get it completed I will post a picture for other stock hardware "SpringAir" users. I also removed the graphics and your airplane looks very nice. I am not sure if you have flown it yet, so I would be curious as to the performance. I am using two smooth running, well broken in OS46FXs with APC 10 x 6 props, which should provide for some exciting performance. If you haven't done so already, please consider using a dremel cut off wheel and cutting down those screws extending from the control horns. They are very sharp and will cut your hand or wrist if you don't watch out (I already cut my hand just casually handling the wing, as I made a note in my final "punch list" to get to it and it got me before I had a chance!) When doing it, please use a portion of a file folder (with hole cut out) or other method to pervent any hot debris from damaging the covering. Other than that, you have a great looking machine and a nice, tidy installation. Thank you again for your prompt, detailed response.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:50 PM
boingram

Ralph....

I have not flown the airframe, yet..waiting for better weather.

Yes, I will be removing the excess bolt shafts.

I am using OS 46AX's which I have used in my Seagull Dual Ace and Cedar Hobbies Twin Stik. Great engines. Running APC 11X5 props w/ 2 1/2 inch Tru-Turns. 11 pounds 4 oz. High wing loading and landing speed will be high, but this ain't for the faint of heart. This is NOT for beginners!

I have had three other Duellists that I built. They are little hot rods and very quick Engine out is not too big a problem with the long tail moment. CG very important and you probably note the lead weight on the horizonal stab. I can remove as needed.

Bo
Old 02-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Blade47

As of today there are NO less then 3 240 original kits on Ebay Feb 15 2007
Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 AM
boingram

Pete...yep...I follow e-bay and currently have one Duellist framed up and one NIB signed by Dave Platt.

I probably need to get a life!

Bo
Old 02-20-2007, 07:26 AM
speed-panzer
My Feedback: (1)

Hi, I am new here.... just found this thread.

I am currently building my original Pica kit Duellist at the moment, hope to be ready in the summer. It will be a little modified, with 4" more wingspan and split landing flaps. Power will be 2x OS 50SX with pipe. Is there some other thread about this plane?

thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Ed_Moorman

Bo,

Great looking plane. Why have we not seen you at Multis-Over-McDonough????

June 23-24 this year.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 PM
boingram

Ed,

Thank you very much for your compliment. I worked closely with Cox development engineer Mike Fritz on this project and must say that Cox's product was not quite ready for prime time. It did, however, turn out quite nice and has a lot going for it.

I have follwed your RCR contributions over the years and have gleaned much useful info from your hosted threads here. Thanks for your interest and contributions to the hobby.

I have been a modeler for over 45 years and the past few years have settled on twins and bipes. My current twin fleet includes a Seagull Dual Ace and Cedar Hobbies Twin Stik I use as an engine mule.

I plan to attent the fly-in this year as the McDonough field is very close to my home. Not my home field, however.

Planning my next twin and would like your opinion...either the TF Cessna 310 or the Kondor Tigercat...different animals!

Also, I keep trying to score a Nosen 310 on e-bay, but just hasn't happened, yet. Will try Perry!

Hope to hear from you, soon.

Bo
Old 02-20-2007, 11:21 PM
cmisicka

So, Bo,
Do you fly at Griffin normally?

You need to make the Multi's over McDonough which is
at Henry County field. Is a great time and some really
cool planes.. Robby, the moderater here puts on that event.

Hold out for the KMP F7.. It willl accept gas motors and
is a really fantastic plane.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 AM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Okay Bo, here's some fair warning. I live in Upstate South Carolina, just one state away from you. If you peg the tach on your OS 46 AX's, my insurance company will be in touch with you for window replacement costs. But somehow I don't think you'll care. It'll be weeks before you get that grin off your face! Enjoy, Bud!

Al
Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to make it out and fly that plane, Bo..
To date there has only been one Duallist to show up
at this event in any year and it was not flown <Lonnie>..
Old 02-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Ed_Moorman

I also have a Twin Stick and had a Dual Ace. I flew both at McDonough last year. One of the other guys in my club just had to have the Ace so I sold it.

Right now I am doing twins and seaplanes, along with Flaps' canards and other things.

As for the Cessna vs the Tigercat, I have no knowledge of either. Flaps would like the Tigercat since he flew then for a while during the Korean War. He was a Marine aviator and flew AD Skyraiders to start, then was on the staff, getting time in an old Avenger, Finally, they needed someone in the Cat Squadron. The planes were originally the recon version, but were field modified with 20mms in place of the cameras. Probably not a legal, factory mod, but that's how it goes in a war. They needed guns and had jets flying recce so the maintenance guys put in guns.

Flaps said it was a narrow little airplane. He is not a big guy and he said he didn't have any extra room. Not like in the Skyraider, anyway. He said the Tigercat had some power. Two R-2800s. I think the Tigercat and the Bearcat were designed originally to have a really fast climb rate to get up and combat kamakazis before they could get close in. They sacrificed range for climb.

I have digressed. See you at McDonough in June.

http://www.floralspot.com/mcdonough
Old 03-08-2007, 03:18 PM
boingram

Maiden Flight Report:

Finally flew it...SWEET!

Observations:

1) Didn't seem as fast as my Seagull Dual Ace, but didn't lean on the engines very hard.

2) Very little trim needsd, but down trim for 1/2 and full throttle changed.

3) Set up throws and dual rates per Cox. On low rates, the airframe is very smooth and docile, but when slowing down to land, the elevator loses effectiveness. If I used high rates, the ailerons were sqirrelly on landing. On LR, rolls very slow but pretty axial. High rates speed things up a lot.

4) To get enough rudder throw on low rates, the nose wheel is very sensitive. May go to a seperate servo for NG.

More as I think about it.

Bo
Old 03-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent, Bo...

So do we get to see it in action in June, at Henry County field..?

http://www.floralspot.com/mcdonough
Robby
Old 04-11-2007, 03:00 PM
PJacobs

Finally finished....good news it fits in the mini-van[img][/img]

Name:	Fd91327.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	662012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51979.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	662013  
Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 PM
boingram

Pjacobs..that's nice, and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Here are seom pics of my changes.

Also, I originallt used the exhaust extensions like you have, but I found that they lookd just like the main gear when the plane is in the air and the gear retracted. Didn't really help much in keeping the goo off the wing, so I removed them.

Bo

Name:	Ay74284.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	662019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23456.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	662020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53469.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	662021  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.