Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

wroldmodels p82 landing gear

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

wroldmodels p82 landing gear

Old 07-25-2005, 05:17 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wroldmodels p82 landing gear

Mustang Bob...
If you fly off paved surfaces no need to change gear.. if you fly off grass...then I cannot speak from experience..
Remember the KISS method... Keep it simple s.....!! Just run the 40 LA's as we spoke...run them side mounted with the pitts mufflers... IF you want to spend the $$$ then go for the .46 LA's/// But 40 LA's are a great combo and are a good speed in the P-82..THanks for asking..
Old 07-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Lightning Fan
My Feedback: (17)

I've had mine for a couple of years now - probably 25 flights on her. Modifying the gear with 3/16 wire, and reinforcing the center made it more reliable. I have TT 32's in mine and she flies very fast. The engines are inverted, and I have yet to have an engine out. I did have elevator flutter in the first flights, on the back side of loops at full throttle. I admit that I only had a standard servo in it, and when I went up to a 90 oz/in servo, plus bulked up the elevator push rod, the problem went away. Not sure which of these fixes did the trick, but I'm not going to experiment to find out.
I found that she porpoised on landing due to my dumb thumbs. I was able to correct that by keeping the airspeed up with quarter throttle until about a foot off, and some expo in the elevator.
The entire field stops when I fly her. I got the P-82 photo book, and found a G model that had red wingtips and vertical stab - decked out like that, shes stands out in the air and gives you some cues to key on other than silver. The stock decals came off or deteriorated in one season. The blue in the stars and bars is not right either. The Sig 7" stars and bars works perfectly. Also, strongly recommend going with Al spinners as opposed to the plastic they give you.
The flap did cause a nose up condition, as expected, which I had to mix out.
She rolls axially - loops take a little work to get round. Interestingly, snap rolls are pretty wicked - I don't really understand why it snaps so well.
You are going to love this plane.
One other tip. I glued the wing together in one piece. I then took two pieces of 2" foam sheet, and jammed 3/4" PVC pipe between the sheets to make two sheets that stand up about 20 incles apart. I hot wired (with a piece of copper wire in a Weller soldering gun) four cutouts in the foam to make a cradle. The plane sits in this cradle with the horizontal stab in place, inverted. All I have to do to fly is plug in the servos from the wing on both sides, bolt it on, put on the scoops, extend the gear, and lift her out.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:15 PM
mustang51d
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks nemisis4u
I would like to mount the engines inverted, as the stock muffs will work that way,.and the cowls will look nice---anyway we will se how the fit works
Later Mustang Bob
Old 07-25-2005, 11:18 PM
mustang51d

Thank you!!!!
I'll try the OS 40LA----Will inverted be a problem??? I've flown my Hanger 9 60 with a 90FX inverted and guess what---not too bad!!!
Later
mustang bob
Old 07-25-2005, 11:19 PM
mustang51d

OOPS !!! my hanger 9 P-51 60 Mustang!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:24 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

I have never run them inverted for fear of greater probability of flooding at idle and flameouts....but it is a phobia...not proven...goodluck and post pics
Old 07-26-2005, 02:49 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok Guys...
I'm pulling my K&B .48's and going to Evolution .36's. I'm very happy with the .48's...but the model is still nose heavy. I also pulled my Perry pumps...for I'm trying to simplify the model and lighten up the beast. The Evolution .36's seem to be very light and with very good power...better then most .40's, but much lighter. I'm also going to run two 6 chanel receivers and two light weight Nihydride battery's for the recievers. This will end up being lighter, for all the cables I run in this model weigh more then a second receiver. I bought two new cowls for the model and I will either go with the standard mufflers or pits style if I can get one for the Evo .36's. I'm trying to get the model as light as I can up front and save as much weight as I can. I'm pulling my battery back up system I had installed and going back to Robart 2 1/4" wheels. The scale wheels really do not hold up well, but they are the grippiest wheels I've flown on the model and if you glue the Robart wheels together on assembly, per Robarts instructions, they will last a while...but do keep an eye on their ware patterns. The Robarts also have the widest foot print of any scale wheel i've found on the market, and this is quiet a plus on this model. I do fly off of a hard serface runway, but our club does not have a really long run way, and obsticals at both ends of the strip.

The K & B .48's are an awesome engine and mine are Mr. Lee's reworked jewels. Great power and more reliable then the Fox .50's. The Fox engines put out good power, but I had reliability issues and I'm not sure if it was the Perry pumps I had installed with them, or the inverted position of my engines, but more then half my landings were single engine. The model has the best single engine performance of any twin I've ever flown...I must have at least 40 landings single engine.

Flaps are another story...the nose will pitch with more then 15 deg. of flap depoyment. Flaps will slow the model down and make for slower approaches, (if you really put some flaps down, more then 35 degs..carry some power on approach). The model is rock solid in all flight envelopes, but be ready for quite a nose pitch with a large degree flap deployment. I have a good bit of elevator trim set up with my Tx, but the required elevator trim changes as you deploy the flaps. In other words, the elevator trim requirement is not uniform as flaps come down. You will need more elevator trim hrough the mid range of flap deployment and less as you reach 60 degs. or more.

I have no experience with O.S. LA .40's and can give no advice to their use in this model. All I do know is that this is one very impresive model in the air and the longest lived ARF I have. It's now almost three years old, with two landing gear system rebuilds and one wing repair, that was more then minor ding. I've managed to total two P-51's and two P-47 ARF's...but my WM P-82 is still with me.

My model has a bright yellow tail and D-day strips...OK...not scale or any where near anything scale, but it looks great in the air and very visable at all speeds. The model is not very scale, with the aft fuse way to short, but it's the only twin mustang on the market that I know of and it has the very managable single engine performance.

Soft and gentle landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've looked at several engines for my WM F-82. I've had two sets in mine already...Fox .50's and K&B .48's. I am still nose heavy and will re-engine with Evolution .36's. I have read several articals that speak well of the engine, and the price is right. I will use two receivers and two 600 ma. battaries. I lose all the wires with in the wing and I will do away with my battary backer too. The weight of all the servo connecting wires surprised me.

I've also read where some one stated that there is no pitch movement with the deploymet of flaps to this airframe. My model has a pronounced pitch with flap deployment, and I go 75 deg. for full down. I've a short run way and an obstical usually on final, it's an old WW II Marine Core corsare bunker. I need the flaps to work...and they do work. It does land hot...but that could just be me too. The WM P-51 is a floater of a WW II ARF fighter...and a great model.

Soft and gentle landings always,
Bobby of Maui