Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models Cessna 337 Skymaster (25 size)

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Nitro Models Cessna 337 Skymaster (25 size)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
alqwad
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Models Cessna 337 Skymaster (25 size)

Yeah, you sould be fine with the mini servos... I am definatley going to get this thing going by Christmas. No guarantee that I'll fly by then, with the weather of late... I did start on glassing the other boom. Again, I only have a few hours left getting this thing going. To be honest, your interest motivates me to get cracking on it. I'll post pics and a writeup when I have it done and I'll let you know if and when the maiden takes place. FWIW there was a guy on RC groups that had the 25 size one. I think his name was Mustang Ace or something close to that. He had the orange one with 2 E-Flite Park 480s and he said it flew well on them. I have a bit more power than those motors (around 650-700 watts) so mine should do very well. I think it will be fun. Anyway, thanks for the interest. Good luck with yours if you decide to go with it. I think you'll be happy with the kit. The quality is actually pretty good, but as with a lot of these cheaper Chinese ARFs, the basic engineering, hardware and instructions can be lacking. I also had the Nitro Planes OV-10. It was a good flyer on Magnum 30 4 strokes until its eventual demise (building error on my part; nothing related to the airframe). In fact, I may do another one of those, but electic this time...
Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 AM
ACES&8s

How heavy is the airframe? All up weight? I have two Hacker A30-16M 330 watt motors. Total of about 600 watts for this plane. Anyone else putting electric in? If the plane is 6 pounds 600 watts will fly, But I'm more interested to ask if it is possible to build it under that...64 to 80 ounces. At 4 pounds 600 watts the plane would be 3D capable...according to the power rating estimates of others. I know that one of the Hacker motors flew a 2 lb plane nearly unlimited, I'm a little leary since the 337 is nitro intended. Can you give me your all up weights, nitro or otherwise, or an empty weight?

EC
Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
ACES&8s

[&:]The plane light? Light enough for two 330 watt motors?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:42 PM
ACES&8s

I'm looking into doing the model with two 330 watt hackers. You seem to have a left hand pitch rear prop, or is that the photo? Shouldn't you try two right hand pitch props? Or wait...to cancel ...Keep it simple. Tractor prop in front, pusher prop in back?
Or were you not using a counter rotation prop?

Now I'm confused.[&:]

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Is the airframe light?

Can you run servo wires inside the tailbooms?

Do you have the battery up next to the firewall, or back a little?

Will one 4400mah 3 cell fit? Are two 2200 3cell a better fit?

Ed
Old 04-30-2008, 12:57 PM
ACES&8s

Pull pull cable on elevator and rudder? I mean, I'm planning on cutting out, and hinging rudders. Pull horns on the outboard of each, with a cable running between them. Servos for them could fit into the underside of the wing near the tailbooms.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:40 PM
alqwad

Long time, no action... I'm about ready to get started again on this one. Took it out of the box today and snapped a few pics to get re-motivated. Like I've mentioned before, if I get to work, I could have this thing done pretty fast. Items to complete: Glass rear boom and conver rudder, fabricate battery tray and mount electronic items, install elevator servo and linkage, configure steering servo and linkage and slap it all together. I have been watching a thread on the other site and it got me thinking about mine again. I liked the way he did the battery area although it was a bit crude. As far as your motors go, I'm looking at about 700 watts or so, myself. My motors weigh about 100 grams each. I can't decide if I want to do counterrotating (tractor and pusher) or two tractors (rear one flipped) and running in reverse rotation (Essentially two tractors working in same direction). My concern is yaw control with no rudder to counter act. I've heard of people doing both types. We'll see... I'm gonna get off my butt and get going on this thing. Maybe.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
alqwad

Got the steering servo installed a few weeks ago and cut out the top sheeting for the battery compartment. I don't think power will be a problem for me, so I plan or using a seperate battery pack for servos and Rx which will also help with balance if needed. Got the other boom glassed and initial primer coat has been applied. Slowly but surely...
Old 08-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

So how does this plane fly on 2 25's?

What about a 4 stroke?

I have a tt pro 25 that is a great little engine. I am thinking that in would be interesting with a 2 stroke 25 and an equivalent 4 stroke.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 PM
alqwad

30 or 40 sized 4 strokes would be fine for scale type flying. If it helps with your decision, I had 30 sized 4 strokes on my Nitro Planes OV-10 Bronco and it was about a pound and a half lighter with a 48 inch wingspan. It flew great. Also, I have seen a few guys on here or on the other site that have flown this plane on 25 sized 2 strokes. They are reported to have plenty of power. BTW, I got my booms all glassed and painted. Almost there...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37138.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1013760  
Old 08-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Phantom pty

If going 2 Strokes, OS 0.25 LA are the way to go [sm=thumbup.gif].. Very Fast and plenty of power to have fun with this model .
Will fly on one engine just fine.. I use it with 9X6 props and is a rocket..
Any more than that would be Overpower for this model in my opinion[8D]
Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Gringo Flyer

How are the booms built?

I am considering scratching something similar to the skymaster since I cant find one in stock.

alqwad, if I do go with one I will probably end up doing what you are doing and stripping it down and painting or recovering
Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 AM
alqwad

Phantom, never really saw your end results for this one. Any pictues or anything that I may need to know about before giving this the final go? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
alqwad

The booms are built up and fully sheeted. I used SIG glass and Polycrilic (just for finish. not for strength). I did treat the booms with Minwax sanding sealer first since balsa and water based coatings don't always do well together. Also, I saw a while back that the Monokote paint was no longer available in dove gray, so I picked up an extra can a few months ago. I found it in a Hobby Town USA toward the back of the shelf all covered with dust. I'm glad I did since I just finished up the other can that I was using. I think these are sold out at Nitro Planes and Raidentech. I did a bit of research and I think I may have found one. No experience with them. Check the link below. Good luck.

[link]http://www.tampabayrcplanes.com-a.googlepages.com/cessna337twin[/link]
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Gringo Flyer

I have glassed with wb poly and am working right now on a p47 that I will glass and paint.

For the price of the plane its still a good deal to strip it down and scale it out a little. I've been really wanting a twin, this looks like a good one to start with.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Phantom pty

Will send you some pictures.

As far as the plane I think is very high quality and flys very well . Like on rails.. A bit hot on landing as all twins.. But is a fun summer project ..

Really think anything biger than 0.25 on this plane is wayyyy to much... so keep an eye on this ..

Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
alqwad

Getting it done... Got the other vertical stab covered (I hate covering), elevator servo mounted and linkage installed and landing gear ready to go. I am making a ply tray that basically runs the legnth of the fuselage floor to secure the batteries. I am glad I elected to go with a seperate battery to run the radio gear as it is definately needed for ballast. I'm having to put in all the way in the front against the firewall. My plan is to secure the radio battery to the tray and then install the tray by sliding it full forward. This is the only way that I can seem to be able to get the radio battery all the way up front. I may make the tray removable so I can make any final adjustments to the battery once it's flown. The main power batteries will be under the canopy as mentioned before, but on the floor of the aircraft as opposed to being placed on the upper decking as shown in the picture earlier in the thread. I'll include some pictures later. Until then, here's the most recent mockup pic.

Name:	Tq48881.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1016187  
Old 08-23-2008, 09:28 PM
alqwad

Got it in the air today !! All went well with the final assembly and the maiden. I'm attaching a few pics that are pretty self explanatory. For balancing, I ended up using a 5 cell 2100 battery pack to run the radio dear. Again, it was definitely necessary for balance purposes. You can see it in the pics (yellow) towards the front of the fuselage. Also, you can see the nose wheel steering servo and wiring job. Wiring was pretty complicated as it is in most twins. You can see my ESC wiring down the left side of the aircraft. I had to run the front motor wires through the firewall like that since I didn't want to increase the length of the ESC leads. It fit perfectly. I also made a parallel harness for the batteries. The airframe has a sub frame of sorts that runs down both sides and it's great for running wires. I mounted the switch for the radio battery on the original decking and removed the other side. I had to secure the radio battery to the tray and slide it forward then bolt it down. It's held by two screws toward the front (covered by velcro in the picture) and one screw in the rear that is visible. The tray is mad of lite ply. I held the wings together with clear packing tape, nothing more. No problems there. I will fabricate some faux struts in the coming days to complete the look. I am not sure exactly how I'll secure the canopy in the future; today I just used packing tape. I put larger wheels on the mains to aid in clearing the rear prop. In addition, added a small nose wheel to level the aircraft out to help out with clearance in the rear as well. I may go back to a slightly larger tire in the front since the smaller one doesn't do too well in the grass. Also, I used about 30% expo on the nose wheel so I didn't over control it. I managed to get a video as well. I used the low resolution and it didn't come out too good. It hasn't been edited, so no Oscar nominations for this one. Also, total weight with batteries was 5 lbs 5 oz. I'm only pulling about 600 watts (battery limitations) so performance was in the lower half of "sport". Most of the flight was around 50% throttle. Very stable and easy to fly. Also, I ended up with two tractors versus the tractor and pusher. I just used what I had on hand. The counter rotating tractor/pusher would definitely look cooler. No bad yaw tendencies due to the setup and lack of rudder. I'll try to answer any questions or respond to any comments. Thanks.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJyYcsIXek[/link]

Name:	Ca82116.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1017734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25366.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1017735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty63924.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1017736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48790.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1017737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30794.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1017738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct16482.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1017739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi84575.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1017740  
Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 PM
alqwad

Two more flights today... All is well. The single elevator servo is working out fine. I may have mentioned it before, but it's a Hitec HS-65MG on 6 volts. Plenty of muscle (30.5 oz) for this project. The elevator may be flexing a bit, but it's a solid piece of wood so since I don't see any evidence, I'm not worried. Also, to strengthen it a bit, I used a GP bolt through style elevator horn. It has the single 6-32 bolt that goes all the way through the surface and is held in place by a top/bottom washer and a nut. I used a Dubro 2-56 pushrod and metal clevis to complete the linkage. This one is definitely a keeper. Very stable and looks great in the air. The sound gets noticed as well... Best of luck to those who decide to pull the trigger on this one.

Name:	Xv65398.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1018781  
Old 03-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Phantom pty

Hello Guys its been some time since I did not visit this thread . Just In case some of you are still arround,

I had promised some pictures and here they are. Better late than never right??

This model has been flying since June 08 and has aprox 30 flights . Took a wild to set up the aircraft correctly
but once ready is a very stable and fast model , this one is equipted with OS 0.25 LA

A bit hot at landing but this is normal in the real thing. Any of you flying this model.??

Name:	Yw66646.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1159808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21690.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1159809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56867.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1159810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74821.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1159811  
Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM
alqwad

Looking good man. I like the solid wheel discs. Still flying mine (on electric). I would imagine that your weight is a bit higher than mine and with the additional wing loading it does come in pretty hot (mine does too). Very stable and a unique aircraft at the field for sure. Take care.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:10 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I just picked up one of these at a swap meet. Can any of you guys tell me where the cg is? I'd just as soon not have any surprises[X(]
Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
alqwad

Don't have an exact measurement for you, but go back from leading edge of wing at the fuselage and it's about 1/3 of the way back where the leading edge sheeting stops (where wing tube sits). I almost always start where the wing tube/spar is on most planes. This USUALLY ends up being 30-33% MAC. Good luck.

-RME
Old 03-22-2009, 08:38 PM
ScottMcM

Flew it today.....flew ok, but bounced like crazy every time I landed. Any of you guys have this problem? I may have been coming in a little too hot.....and our field isn't the smoothest...lots of dips and rises.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Phantom pty

Yes it took me a while to get the landing right on this model, I was comming too hot during my first flights. Althought it is a Hot plan on real life, but once you the the hang of it you will be ok!!! [8D]
Old 03-27-2009, 06:33 PM
ScottMcM

I noticed today that the rear engine was mounted about 3/4 inch too low. I was wondering why the cowl wouldn't fit right What, if any, effect would this have on the flying characteristics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.