Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Fuel tanks for Hobbico Twinstar

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Fuel tanks for Hobbico Twinstar

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM
bass0matic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel tanks for Hobbico Twinstar

Mine flew fine with two .40 LAs. I used "goldenrod" throttle cable (I use that on all my planes). Magnum .28s? I hope your wearing "depends" when you fly. Twinstars fly so nice, the throttle is very easy to set up just follow the instructions I recommend goldenrod semi flexable, it's adjustable. keep the throttle clean on landind and give a short boost just before you land.

don't forget the depends
Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 AM
bass0matic

Sara, whats going on with you? Long time, no talk.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 PM
allr
My Feedback: (49)

How does it fly with the extended nacelles? Did you have to add weight to rear to off-set CG?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 PM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought 2 Hobbico Twinstars from TowerHobbies. They are on sale at $109 each TwinStar with an instant discount of $25 for each order totaling at least $199. One is going to be electric with 2 x 400 watt, 950 kv electric motors with 2 X 2000mah 11.1volt 20C lithium polymer batteries. One horsepower is equivalent to 746 watts. With the 2 electric motors, there will be a total of 800 watts of power to spin the two 10 X 7E propellers. The Twinstar will weigh an estimated 4.7 lbs. to 5 lbs. It takes about 100 watts of electric power per pound of flying weight to power up a sport flyer to do simple aerobatics(loops, rolls etc.). This will be good for about 10 to 15 minutes of battery time with short full throttle flying and with longer duration of half throttle flying.
The second Twinstar will be powered with .28 Magnum glow engines which came with the order for the Twinstar. Like the previous post here by Twin-star, there will be 2 Sullivan 6 ounce flexible tanks in the wing center section inside the fuselage in addition to the 4 ounce nacelle tanks. This should give a safe and comfortable 10 minutes of mixed throttle flying time with about a 3 to 5 minute reserve. The Airtronics 2.4 gH radio with 2 receivers also came with the order. The Airtronics 2.4 gH radio with the 2 receivers were on sale for only $229. All the items are still in the packing boxes as they just arrived this week. Hopefully I can start doing the work this weekend and finish everything and fly next week. I have been reading the excellent reviews on the Twinstar for about 2 weeks now and the flying qualities are rock solid and the electrics will solve the engine out issue.Then there are the helpful hints on tuning each glow engine individually slightly rich for maximum reliability. Thus ensuring reliability with each engine set to maximum reliability. Versus synchronizing the two engines with the high speed needle valves and risking one engine running lean and thus quitting while in flight. The very helpful info about not worrying about the twin engines being out of sync by 200-300 rpms as this will not be noticeable at cruising speed due to the fast moving air flow on the tail surfaces straightening out the flight path. All of it opened up my eyes to try to fly twin glow engines and twin electrics for the first time. Plus the sweet, sweet sound of those twin engines reverberating against each other and filling up the fabric of the airwaves with the unique melody that only twin engines can provide. Then harmonize and deposit that riveting melody in that hidden pilot in each one of us. Thanks guys for all your helpful tips. God Bless y'all.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Mine has two very nice OS 32f engines that sound sooooo good when running at 14,000+ side by side. The plane is a joy to fly (a blast) but the covering is slipping and coming off, really poor to say the least. Is this a common thing? Love the plane but hate to strip and recover.
(I have a pair of OS 28's for sale) BTW 5 mins is safe after running hard, 6 is out of fuel on the stock tanks.
Bruce
Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 AM
larrysogla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the tips that were posted in another forum is to dab clear finger nail polish on the edges of the stick-on decals to seal the decal adhesion. I will probably spray clear fuel proof paint on the decal edges to seal the adhesion and protect the decals from peeling off.
The $109 per ARF Twinstar is just downright sooooooooo good a bargain for a medium sized ARF Twin that I am tempted to order a 3rd TwinStar as a crash reserve. The TwinStar fuselage just as a stand alone part is already a whopping $72, the wing set $82, the tail set $27, the nose cone $9.50, the nacelle set $18 etc. It makes sense to just simply order a complete ARF TwinStar and have all the parts for a complete airplane for only $109.
I flew glow engines way back in 1979 and then quit in 1981 due to distance of flying field(Sepulveda Dam Apollo Flying field in Los Angeles, California and expense of hobby(crashed airplanes etc.). Last year I went back into the hobby with 2 channel foam cheapie electric powered airplanes, then slowly graduated to 3 channel cheapie foam electric airplanes, then to 4 channel cheapie foam electric airplanes. NOWWWW I find myself being attached to the Hobbico TwinStar as my balsa wood, glow powered airplane that is both sleek and beautiful and has a melodious running sound that is so uniquely twin engined in origin. God Bless, y'all.
larrysogla.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 AM
dschroeder
My Feedback: (40)

I was going to order a twinstar with the pair of 25FX engines...has anyone flown it with these...or should I upgrade to the EVO 36 (basically same price as the OS engines)

With the fuel tank on top o the center section of the wing, won't that cause fuel to gravity feed into the nacelle tanks and flood out the engine?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dschroeder

I was going to order a twinstar with the pair of 25FX engines...has anyone flown it with these...or should I upgrade to the EVO 36 (basically same price as the OS engines)

With the fuel tank on top o the center section of the wing, won't that cause fuel to gravity feed into the nacelle tanks and flood out the engine?

No it does not do that. People have been running 2 takns like this on hellys for years

Old 10-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Shalomar
My Feedback: (2)

I bought a used TwinStar I plan to put radio gear in this winter. It came with OS .25s, which I am sure I will be happy with.

I may eventually go with the extra tanks in the fuse. With just industrial double sided tape holding the tanks, is there any problem with fuel foaming up?

Best Regards, Donald T.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Krash T

this is to majortomski.

which engines are u using, the .25la or the .25fx?

the .25la outputs about .5 hp, the .25fx outputs about .86 hp,
Old 11-26-2008, 10:29 PM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

Great Thread,

Mine has OS .52 4 strokes on stock tanks. Very fast with 9X9 MAS props.
This is my favorit plane by far and I have a UCANDO 3D .60 with a YS 1.10.
I just ordered another one,,, Humm what to do. Maybe Rossi .40 Q500 engines with
a tank mod you all have tried. Thanks for the tank info. Tim