Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models 90" P-38 (1/7 scale) with 3 piece wing and more

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Nitro Models 90" P-38 (1/7 scale) with 3 piece wing and more

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes 90

Hay Ram3500,
What is the difference between lead and steel powder ? What does 1.5 pounds of steel powder cost shipped to 96761.

Bob, aside from the fact that lead has been found to be a toxic substance and is gradually being pulled from consumers, there are a couple other differences.

Think of Steel Powder as 'micro balloons' in reverse. When mixed with epoxy, it makes a very very heavy epoxy, it becomes part of the epoxy rather that just being held by it, and augments it's strength. It forms a sort of cold liquid steel that can then be brushed on, poured into, or molded in, virtually any thing or anywhere you would use epoxy. It is easily cut or drilled, unlike lead. Pour it in cowl rings, behind fire walls, in wing tips, really, anywhere. And it stays where you put it just like epoxy.

No more lead coming loose, or melting that stuff and risking your life from the fumes.

I need to double check, but shipping in flat rate boxes to other oversees locations, I have been able to ship 4lbs for about $12, anywhere in the world. That would be a total of $19

Thanks for asking, and I hope this helps.

Gary

Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Buddy,
Let me know how to send you the funds and I can do Western Union if you like.

I managed to finish my conopy install and did a little reshaping of my pilot pod nose. Next up I'll be taking it appart, and begine the painting process. I do have a little "System 3" epoxy left, and I'll use this to cover the nose and where I am going to install the 1# of ballast. I may even add one good layer of heavyer glass cloth over the bottom of the pilot pod...just in case the nose wheel retract fails.

I still need to make my stand for the model, and I will use 1/2" ply...mabe 3/8".

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62685.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1664990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41376.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1664991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29142.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1664992  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:57 PM
panhandler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys no pics this time .

So far i have the wing mod 90% complete , and all went well without a hitch.

I recieved the rest ofthe LS2 today that i will be needing to cover the booms , Thank you Fahim for the fast delivery.

The surface that LS2 creates is so smooth i decided to cover this bird with aluminum foil, then go into greater detailing . As far as weight gain , it is so minimul it out ways the end result.

Sinse i have never used foil before i will practice on my sons floats that i just finished for his 40 class trainer. Gary is going to guide me thru the process so i'm sure all will go well.

I have alot going on now , i am working on a very special project with Gary and his brother, so stay tuned .

Dan
Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 PM
ram3500-RCU

I met Fahim at Monster Planes last year, and he really is a nice man who has a real passion for this hobby.

We took delivery on some parts for our project, and Brian is going to tinker with them tonight.

Glad the wing mod went so well. I think it really is easier than the boom mods.

Looking froward to those pictures.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:58 PM
panhandler

Hi guys

I got a little more done on the boomes and just about ready to apply the LS2 .

Sinse i am building her for electric power i was thinking how can i cool the bats and the esc's.

I am going to use the prop wash and channel it thru the engine cowls and right thru the the booms and exit thru the radiator ducts.
My thinking is by openning the rear of the ducts it will create a vacume and help todraw the heat created from the bats and esc , when the bay doors are closed there realy isn't much circulation.

On the ducts to cut the opennings I followed the lines on the interior of the ducts to cut them out , then i used various needle files to keep the lines straight and curves nice and crisp.

As some of you mite have surmized i am kinda addlibing this build sinse i have not built a bird in some 30 years . And i have to say she is comingout great.

I took a trip down to Cleveand to see Rams Zombie and that convinced me to go with the aluminum skin ,,,,,hense the LS2 to prep her.

At this point i have a fewhours invested and don't realy want to R&D from here so for the ducts i am thinking of roughing them up with 180 grit and then put the primar on as i did with the booms before applying the LS2 ,, What do you think Fahim ?

Dan

Name:	Om32451.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1668607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15160.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1668608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92365.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1668609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80695.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1668610  
Old 10-01-2011, 03:04 PM
wowplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary P,
Thank you for your kind words. I plan on being at Monster Planes with my Lady Liberty. But I will attend as a pilot and not a vendor only on Saturday. More details and flight video at http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...3121cef723acaa

Panhandler,
No need to apply LS2 to the plastic parts because they are smooth enough. I usually mask them off leaving 1/8" exposed all around. Then I blend the edges in with Glazing Putty

Fahim
Old 10-01-2011, 03:41 PM
panhandler

ORIGINAL: wowplanes

Gary P,
Thank you for your kind words. I plan on being at Monster Planes with my Lady Liberty. But I will attend as a pilot and not a vendor only on Saturday. More details and flight video at http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...3121cef723acaa

Panhandler,
No need to apply LS2 to the plastic parts because they are smooth enough. I usually mask them off leaving 1/8" exposed all around. Then I blend the edges in with Glazing Putty

Fahim
thanks for the advise Fahim i am sure others will benifit ,,,,,,,,,,and good luck at MP btw very nice landing
Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: wowplanes

Gary P,

Panhandler,
No need to apply LS2 to the plastic parts because they are smooth enough. I usually mask them off leaving 1/8'' exposed all around. Then I blend the edges in with Glazing Putty

Fahim
You're very welcome Fahim. Looking forward to seeing you and your wife again this year at MP. Hope we get to fly together. Our group is sharing a tent with Solo Props. Please stop in and visit if I don't find you first.

I agree with Fahim on the plastic parts. Sand them with 400, and they are ready to apply the aluminum foil.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 AM
kakariki
My Feedback: (6)

To Gary
No luck sending you a PM, so I'll try here again.
You said you had posted the kit and were going to post the CD, but I haven't got either yet, when did you post them.
Thanks Barry
Old 10-03-2011, 03:33 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: kakariki

To Gary
No luck sending you a PM, so I'll try here again.
You said you had posted the kit and were going to post the CD, but I haven't got either yet, when did you post them.
Thanks Barry
Barry, hadn't heard so I thought you had gotten everything. The PM system is not always reliable. Here is my email.

[email protected]
Old 10-03-2011, 08:03 AM
kakariki
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Gary
Actually I realised I used your private email, not PM, and no I haven't received anything yet.
Barry
Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 PM
panhandler

I am just about ready to apply the LS2 to the booms ,
I have the radiator scoops covered and and the primed surfacses are sanded with 400 grit.
If i have time tonight i will build the supports i need to support the rotisserie gizmo to turn them.

For now i am thinking ahead on sheeting the wings and stabs .
So i have a question. on the outboard section of the wings , the ribs are already set to the same height as the sheeted structure on the mid section of the wing .
If i was to sheet them there would be an offset . how do i over come this ?

Geeze just think 5 months ago i thought i was near completion ( ya right ). With the aluminum skin i am going to take my time ( all winter if need be ) and get it right .

Dan

Name:	Bz79249.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1669599  
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: panhandler

I am just about ready to apply the LS2 to the booms ,
I have the radiator scoops covered and and the primed surfacses are sanded with 400 grit.
If i have time tonight i will build the supports i need to support the rotisserie gizmo to turn them.

For now i am thinking ahead on sheeting the wings and stabs .
So i have a question. on the outboard section of the wings , the ribs are already set to the same height as the sheeted structure on the mid section of the wing .
If i was to sheet them there would be an offset . how do i over come this ?

Geeze just think 5 months ago i thought i was near completion ( ya right ). With the aluminum skin i am going to take my time ( all winter if need be ) and get it right .

Dan

I think you remove the rib caps, and sheet the bottom, then spray foam in the open bays, slice the foam flush with the ribs, and then sheet the top. you will have light yet very strong outer panels.

Here are some cell around the gear in our Meister P-47, that were done this way. Adds a lot of strength.

Name:	Ig13279.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1669629  
Old 10-05-2011, 05:20 PM
panhandler

Thanks for the advice Ram . Now i have more to think about , just what i need ;}
Moving forward i built the cradle to spin the booms for the LS2 .
Sorry for the crudness but i don't have an actual workshop and i am making the best for the space i have at hand.

After this i get the booms all preped i am going to start on the wings and stabs .

Name:	Yw66797.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1670435  
Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 PM
ram3500-RCU

Thanks for the advice Ram . Now i have more to think about , just what i need ;}
Moving forward i built the cradle to spin the booms for the LS2 .
Sorry for the crudness but i don't have an actual workshop and i am making the best for the space i have at hand.

After this i get the booms all preped i am going to start on the wings and stabs .

Looks pretty good to me. I think you are too hard on yourself.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
panhandler

The build is moving along now . I have the booms covered with LS2 and they look great.

I very carefuly masked the radiator covers right to the edge of the plastic flanges .
My thinking was i could apply the LS2 to achieve the same hight of the flanges and it worked out great . Now it will take very little filler to blend them.

Next is to pull the covers off the wings and horizontal and vertical then get them all sheeted .At that point i plan to install the servoes for the flaps .

Then assemble all the interior components including rx's , servoes . numatic sytems , landing gear and motors, bats, esc's , bay doors.

At this point i can do a taxi test to see if all is in working order .before going forward with the aluminum skin.

It has been just about a year now sinse i started , can ya all tell i am getting anxiuos

Name:	Fc90179.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1672964  
Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM
wowplanes

Panhandler,
Nice job with the LS2. Bet you don't miss the sanding.  
Fahim
Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Bob Paris

Aloha Guys,
I managed to get most all my P-38 stand complete. I still need to do some minor finishing work, but its almost done. I will be doing a natural wood finish to the stand, then get on with the finish work with the airframe. The stand ended up a bit different then I first invissioined, but it will do the trick. I've enclosed a few pictures of it for you, and when it is finished...I'll show you the final work to it.

Since my model is not a three piece unit like yours, I needed to make a stand where, I could assemble the model at home and at the flying field. So I made supports for the engine booms/nacelles, both fore and aft-and supported the wing, w/pilot pod together, like your stand. The way I built my stand, one person can assemble the model, without any help-with the engine nacelles removeable. I was forced to make my model this way, because I don't have a car or van large enough to get my model, to the flying field-as a three piece unit. Its a hastle to assembel the model, but with my stand, it is a bit easyer to do the assembly. With out a doubt, the best way is to make this P-38, is like you did (with a three piece wing), but I was forced to do otherwise. My next P-38, will have a three piece wing...for sure.

I have yet to screw on the aft and forward boom/engine nacelle supports and add the quarter round trim. But with a little luck, I should get them measured, cut, finished and installed in the next day or two. The supports are going to be screwed in with hardware (wing nuts and bolts), into pre-drilled holes. I then can adjust my stand for other P-38 projects later on. I'm looking at the G&P 84" P-38, and I may just build that model next.

I made my stand, so I can run the engines assembled on the stand (tied down of course), and cycle the landing gear, with the engines running. I've also easy access to all my switches and air fill valve for the model-I cut lots of lightening holes in the proper places to make easy access to the model, while on the stand.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Ge94760.jpg
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1673282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23261.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1673283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86516.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1673284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85886.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1673285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31326.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1673286   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76673.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1673287  
Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 AM
panhandler

Looking great Bob , fantastic workmanship.

Looks like you put alot of thought into your stand.

There is very little sanding Fahim , just trim work around the edges.

Tonight i plan on finishing up the wing mod and with any luck get everything installed for the weekend and see how she tracks under power.

Dan
Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 PM
ram3500-RCU

Ditto Bob. Looks good.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 PM
ram3500-RCU

The build is moving along now . I have the booms covered with LS2 and they look great.

I very carefuly masked the radiator covers right to the edge of the plastic flanges .
My thinking was i could apply the LS2 to achieve the same hight of the flanges and it worked out great . Now it will take very little filler to blend them.

Next is to pull the covers off the wings and horizontal and vertical then get them all sheeted .At that point i plan to install the servoes for the flaps .

Then assemble all the interior components including rx's , servoes . numatic sytems , landing gear and motors, bats , esc's , bay doors.

At this point i can do a taxi test to see if all is in working order .before going forward with the aluminum skin.

It has been just about a year now sinse i started , can ya all tell i am getting anxiuos [img][/img]

They look sweet.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:17 AM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
I managed to finish building my stand and all I need to do is paint it. The stand does break down for easy transporting and will assemble quickly at the flying field (there are eight bolts and wing nuts for the side nacelle supports). Building this stand took on a life of its own...but its light and works for me. I just pray that I have this model long enough to ware out this stand.... : )

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Name:	Yw66849.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1674102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57558.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1674103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67533.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1674104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39944.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1674105  
Old 10-15-2011, 07:01 PM
panhandler

The plan iscoming together . I put her all together today and she is looking more and more like a white dove .
I didn't get a chance to taxi her today sinse it is raining and very windy.
But i did get a chance to get her weight so far .We installed all the gear . servoes , bats , motors ,etc. the only thing left to add a bit of weight is the aluminum skin. I don't think that will add to much to her.
At this point she comes in at 18 lb's 2 oz's . So when she is all together i am sure she will be a hefty 20 lb's.

Also we did a test on different props . First test we put the APC 15 x 13.5 x 3 and ranthem up to full throttle and therpm's we got were 5900 , then we thru on a set of Master Airscrew props at 14 x 8 x 2 and they turned out at 6800 rpm . Looks like the maiden will be done with the MA props .

I have to say when we tested both of the props they both sang like a cyncronized song .

When we had her on her feet i noticed the main gear were sitting at 90 degrees , grrr i want 95 degrees forward , this should be no prob . ( just add shims )

Dan

Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 PM
panhandler

Hi guys
Tonight i had to satisfy mu curiosity . I wanted to see if the placement of the bats were correct for CG . I installed all the hardware except for controll rods and wiring .

There is only 2 choicesfor the placement of the bats ,,, #1 is in the foreward lower section of the booms , sinse this position is forward of the CG i descided to go with choice #2, In the upper mid wing section under the turbo covers .
For the placment of the bats I had a few concerns on the phenolic tube required for the mod , so i placed the bats on top of the wing pannel in the area i thought the tube would be and checked the CG and all looked promising .

Going forward we cut a section out and drop the bat in . It fits perfect plenty of room for foam cusion on the sides .

The bats are 6c 4400 lipo ,,,5-1/4"L x 2 1/16"W x 1 5/8" H.
Once we insatlled the first bat we rechecked the CG just to make sure ,, all i can say is dam this is close within a ounce or 2 so far ( yup got lucky ).
The turbo cover lays right on with no interferance .

The balsa sheeting will be here in a few days , then i can cover the wings and stabs . This time i am only applying 2 coats of LS2 . ( i learned alot from the pod and booms )

Dan

Name:	Xv64761.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1677009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63618.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1677010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48075.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1677011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53332.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1677012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72185.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1677013  
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM
ram3500-RCU

How about cooling for the bats. You going to open the back of the radiator housings for flow through?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.