ORIGINAL: Bob Paris
I got busy today and managed to assemble the wing for the first time. I also set the dowls in the main wing, and assembled the pilot compartment and both engine pods, with hold down screws. Wow...its a bit bigger then I thought and it took a bit of time to figure out how to handle the airframe with most of the model assembled. I then cut my main landing gear struts as short as I was able to and set the airframe down on the ground for the first time. I then got to work getting the 4'' main tire into the wheel well as best I could, installed my rudder and elevator servo mount aft of the main wheel tire, and installed my engine servo mount, forward, of the main landing gear forward bulkhead. I've yet to cut and fit a cover for the main wheel retract/servo bay, but when that is done, I'll be finished with the starboard side. I've the port side to do and then glass the pods.
When I first removed the servo tray in each pod, I was careful and saved them. I then cut them to fit my rebuild and this really speeded up the process.
The main gear tire does not fully retract into the pod...and I had to modify the wing just a bit to clear the main gear tire too. If I went with a 3'' tire I would have no modifications to do...but it just didn't look right, so I went with the 4'' tire.
I have 4 3/8'' clearance from the bottom of the rudder to the ground. Not exactly 4'', but close.
I also decided to go with a two piece wing. 90'' is just to much to handle...45'' is much easyer.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui