ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl
Well finally got back to working on mine today. Cut out the access holes for the wing bolts. Holy doo doo, one went slick, laid out a rectangle and cut out the sheeting. Just enough room I can get my two fat fingers inside to install and spin the bolt. Final tightening is with a 7/16'' socket on a swivel.
Second side had me going bonkers. Laid out the same rectangle, and took the razor knife to it. Might as well tried cutting through steel. That had to have been the hardest dang balsa I've ever seen. Even trying to cut with the grain the razor knife barely scribed the wood. I thought I had somehow gotten resin on the sheeting from the mod on the inside, and hardened up the wood.
I finally used my Dremel with a cut off wheel to trim it out. Once cut out I got another surprise, the hard sheeting is nearly twice the thickness of the other side. Oh those silly Chinese!
Hmm, looking at Bobby's version just gave me an idea. I was pondering installing the rx pack in the gondola, for nose weight, and since I don't need an air tank.
Thinking if I mod the nose cone I can make it a quick release setup. If you've ever seen a GWS Me 262, it's nose is done like this for installing the battery pack. Quarter turn setup, twist the nose 90 degrees and you can remove it. Would save having to remove the canopy and unbolt the gondola to access the rx pack.....................
OK off to the shop.