Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitroplanes 90

Dan, really nice cradle set up!!!! As an aside, to the cradle if you don't go with the three piece wing, (it's not hard at all if I can do it) , make yourself a crossbar for flipping the wingless booms around. There is very little support back at the V & H stab on the fuse and any twisting back there will snap the stingers pretty easy. On my first one I just used a piece of 1x2" board long enough to cover the the span between the booms. Drill a pair of holes in each end to match the wing bolts. Notch the inside of the cross bar to clear the wing cut outs.

Will keep the booms from flexing/twisting when you flip the bird around and makes a nice transport handle.
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.
    P-38 Lightning Brotherhood #75

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool Gary, I'll look for ya at Monster Planes then.

Well tried loading pictures of the hatch set ups, but RCU must be up to their problems again as it won't load the pictures. [:@]

CRIPES!, I had to go in and rename all the photos to get em to upload. Anyhow, here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91925.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1599698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64574.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1599699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xt59968.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	1599700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ns43794.jpg 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	1599701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uo36677.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1599702  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zk68104.jpg 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1599703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lb46816.jpg 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	1599704  
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Cool Gary, I'll look for ya at Monster Planes then.

Well tried loading pictures of the hatch set ups, but RCU must be up to their problems again as it won't load the pictures. [:@]

CRIPES!, I had to go in and rename all the photos to get em to upload. Anyhow, here they are.
    Very nice idea. Do the gear doors close against them? Looks like they would be formers 1 & 2, and three would be the front of the doors.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great idea Brad , when i get to that part of the mod i will definatly take another look at this ,

I am aware of a spread bar to keep the booms in place , but i'm was vary fearful of damaging the horizontal.. I just completed surgery and she came out fine the booms are now free with very little scaring .

Amazing  what you can do with a exacto saw . For awhile there i felt like i was doing a crash and rebuild .

I had the same first cut zitters as you did , well i'm in it now  and can't wait to finish.
    P-38 Lightning Brotherhood #21
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU
    Very nice idea. Do the gear doors close against them? Looks like they would be formers 1 & 2, and three would be the front of the doors.
    Nah Gary, this is on top of the fuse, not the bottom. Even the tire won't come close in the retracted position. I even checked to be sure the relocated servos will clear the lock rod assembly.

The lock rod sits around dead center of the LG opening, way above it. There's just enough room for my fat fingers to get up in there (with the gear mocked up) to push the pin in.

I'm definitely going with a similar set up for the battery hatches. Same scenario, I'll be able to access the pin from the gear bay as the rear of the battery hatch butts up against the front of the L/G bay.

Ok Dan, was just in case. Yeah like Gary said you'll find it a heck of a lot easier to work with one boom at a time, vs the other way. You got past the first cut, so it's all down hill form there.

Well I got some more done. One boom is sheeted and wrapped for the glue to set up overnight. The package wrap idea worked out GREAT!!!!
    Also got the gondola glassed and it's already got a thin coat of filler on it ready for final sanding tomorrow.

Won't get much done tomorrow as I'm headed to TG. Maybe enough time tomorrow night to glass up the cowls and nose cone. We'll see.

Ahh, I see. I didn't pick up on that. Very inventive. I like it.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmm, anyone recognize this ARF. Amazing the stuff they let in TG.[X(]

Just kidding Gary. Hands down you had the best looking Jug there!!!!!!!!!! I'd say the only one that came close to yours was Frank's.
    On a side note, man was it windy!!!!! And HOT! And the Love Bugs were in full swing. They were everywhere.

I swear P-47's were the majority of the WWII birds there, I think they even out numbered the Mustangs if you can believe that. Corsairs were represented nicely too.
    There was one in Marine colors that was running a Moki radial. Ungodly fast ans sweet sounding. I saw it out run a T-33 in a drag race. Both of them swung into a low high speed pass for the judges, and it was like someone kicked that Corsair in the ass. It blew past that jet like it was standing still.

NOT A P-38 TO BE SEEN!!!!!!!!

I didn't see Zombie fly, hopefully they were waiting out the wind. Multiple birds went in on landings as most were with a viscous 90 degree cross wind approach.

Planes were coming in nearly 90 degrees to the runway and then just cutting the throttle and dropping to the ground. I watched a Sandy flip on take off, then just to out do that it cartwheeled on landing. Tore it up pretty bad. Watched a DR1 take three attempts at making a landing, was like a kite in the wind flying every way except level. Pilot did one heck of a job landing it.

Lot's of collapsed gear landings, even saw one Jug show it's toughness. Came in to land and not sure what happened but it did a full face plant, bounced back up and then landed on it's wheels.

Between the judging they had free flight time. I saw only one plane take to the air.[&:]

Name:	Ay73591.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	1599995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa87428.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	1599996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd82472.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	1599997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mg97526.jpg 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	1599998  

Hey Brad, that isn't my plane. That is the new Comp ARF 110" P-47. It had a 250 Moki I think. Mine is a Meister at 102". I was so wanting to get a picture of the two together. You see, THEY BLEW THE SCHEME!!!!!!! They mistakenly modeled it after a well know plastic model pictured on the internet. The tail, wind screen, invasion stripes, and a couple other things are wrong on that plane. How cool it would have been though, to see both theirs and mine in the air together. Oh well, I can't let myself dwell on this too much, or I go crazy.

I can tell you this for a certainty, I would have flown today. I fly in direct cross winds all the time here in Ohio. At 50lbs, Zombie does very well in them.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys...
    I managed to get the engine pods fiberglassed and now need to make some kind of stand, so I can make a removable elevator. I was happy with the results, and this work greatly increased the strength of the tail section of this airframe. I've seen several pictures N.P.'s P-38's with broken aft section to the engine pods, that were built stock. By layering two very light pieces of .6 oz. glass cloth in the aft section, I hope to have corrected this problem. I will give the weight of both sides next time I check in...then with all the goodies installed.

System Three Epoxy takes three day's to fully cure. So this took a bit of time...and also gave me time to think about the removable elevator modification.

Any idea's folks...with a removable elevator...?

Flew Sunday and had a great time. Calm winds and 77 deg. weather... : )

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui

Name:	Ay75036.jpg 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	1603546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf99817.jpg 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	1603547  
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys...
    I managed to get the engine pods fiberglassed and now need to make some kind of stand, so I can make a removable elevator. I was happy with the results, and this work greatly increased the strength of the tail section of this airframe. I've seen several pictures N.P.'s P-38's with broken aft section to the engine pods, that were built stock. By layering two very light pieces of .6 oz. glass cloth in the aft section, I hope to have corrected this problem. I will give the weight of both sides next time I check in...then with all the goodies installed.

System Three Epoxy takes three day's to fully cure. So this took a bit of time...and also gave me time to think about the removable elevator modification.

Any idea's folks...with a removable elevator...?

Flew Sunday and had a great time. Calm winds and 77 deg. weather... : )

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui

Name:	Ay75036.jpg 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	1603548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf99817.jpg 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	1603549  
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51

Mine is made from wood and plywood. It is used to transport and store. I can cycle the gear while on it as well. The cradle is made to fit the underside of the wing. Attached Velcro straps hold the plane in place while transporting.

Name:	Ig13058.jpg 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	1603614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65031.jpg 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	1603615  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary, My bad, there I go again ASSuming. LOL!!! Least I didn't make a fool of myself by asking about you at their tent.

Speaking of, there was a mid air between a pair of Jugs at TG. Check out You tube for video of it. Think it was day 3. One zigged instead of zagging, and got a belly full of prop from the one below it.

Bobby, here you go, an easy do it for your H stab. Even drew you a crappy diagram.

Install a pair of lite ply extensions on the H stab, where it fits into the booms. A blind nut goes on each extension.

Drill up through the bottom of the boom, install a CF tube for a guide, and glue it into place.

Nylon bolt from the bottom will lock the H stab in place. The CF tube will help add strength to the boom.

Name:	Sp45419.jpg 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	1603723  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well finally got back to working on mine today. Cut out the access holes for the wing bolts. Holy doo doo, one went slick, laid out a rectangle and cut out the sheeting. Just enough room I can get my two fat fingers inside to install and spin the bolt. Final tightening is with a 7/16" socket on a swivel.

Second side had me going bonkers. Laid out the same rectangle, and took the razor knife to it. Might as well tried cutting through steel. That had to have been the hardest dang balsa I've ever seen. Even trying to cut with the grain the razor knife barely scribed the wood. I thought I had somehow gotten resin on the sheeting from the mod on the inside, and hardened up the wood.

NOPE !

I finally used my Dremel with a cut off wheel to trim it out. Once cut out I got another surprise, the hard sheeting is nearly twice the thickness of the other side. Oh those silly Chinese!

Hmm, looking at Bobby's version just gave me an idea. I was pondering installing the rx pack in the gondola, for nose weight, and since I don't need an air tank.
    Thinking if I mod the nose cone I can make it a quick release setup. If you've ever seen a GWS Me 262, it's nose is done like this for installing the battery pack. Quarter turn setup, twist the nose 90 degrees and you can remove it. Would save having to remove the canopy and unbolt the gondola to access the rx pack.....................

OK off to the shop.

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Well finally got back to working on mine today. Cut out the access holes for the wing bolts. Holy doo doo, one went slick, laid out a rectangle and cut out the sheeting. Just enough room I can get my two fat fingers inside to install and spin the bolt. Final tightening is with a 7/16'' socket on a swivel.

Second side had me going bonkers. Laid out the same rectangle, and took the razor knife to it. Might as well tried cutting through steel. That had to have been the hardest dang balsa I've ever seen. Even trying to cut with the grain the razor knife barely scribed the wood. I thought I had somehow gotten resin on the sheeting from the mod on the inside, and hardened up the wood.

NOPE !

I finally used my Dremel with a cut off wheel to trim it out. Once cut out I got another surprise, the hard sheeting is nearly twice the thickness of the other side. Oh those silly Chinese!

Hmm, looking at Bobby's version just gave me an idea. I was pondering installing the rx pack in the gondola, for nose weight, and since I don't need an air tank.
    Thinking if I mod the nose cone I can make it a quick release setup. If you've ever seen a GWS Me 262, it's nose is done like this for installing the battery pack. Quarter turn setup, twist the nose 90 degrees and you can remove it. Would save having to remove the canopy and unbolt the gondola to access the rx pack.....................

OK off to the shop.
    Look through my pictures and you will see that I indeed have the RX pack in the nose, and the nose cone is removable. I also include parts in the kit to make the sliding tray for the air valve and servo, also accessed by removing the noise cone. Here are some pictures.

Name:	Kh17608.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	1603843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl29050.jpg 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	1603844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36620.jpg 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	1603845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig13620.jpg 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	1603846   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu60845.jpg 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	1603847  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65508.jpg 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	1603848   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us54495.jpg 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	1603849  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finaly got some time to get a few things done .

Both booms are opened and , servo trays and landing gear supports are out . I see now why many people say to reinforce
    the main gear hardware , there was very little glue in this area, also i noticed the sheeting on the tri supports running full length have the same prob .

I will definatly take a good look at other joints .
    I also got a chance to apply the foam to the bottom of the pod ,wow that stuffrealy expands ! now to let that dry for a few days .

I am having a prob locating 1/64" ply , it seems most places are out of it . If anyone has any sugestions , i am all ears .

On to the next step ;}
    Custom Pipes rc

ORIGINAL: panhandler

I finaly got some time to get a few things done .

Both booms are opened and , servo trays and landing gear supports are out . I see now why many people say to reinforce
    the main gear hardware , there was very little glue in this area, also i noticed the sheeting on the tri supports running full length have the same prob .

I will definatly take a good look at other joints .
    I also got a chance to apply the foam to the bottom of the pod ,wowΒ* that stuffΒ*realy Β*expands Β*! Β*now to let that dry for a few days .

I am having a prob locating 1/64'' ply , it seems most places are out of it . If anyone has any sugestions , i am all ears .

On to the next step ;}
    Good to see you making progress. Did you get my MP about the 1/64 ply?

Gary
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No i didn't Gary , i found a couple sites to purchase the ply but when i order they send me an email stating they will have it in a few weeks .

As for pm's i haven't recieved any from anyone for over a week . maybe a glitch in the site ?

I was kinda wondering , i sent you one concerning the prints and didn't here from you , i thought that was starnge.

Anyway try to pm me again and see how that goes .
    Custom Pipes rc

No i didn't Gary , i found a couple sites to purchase the ply but when i order they send me an email stating they will have it in a few weeks .

As for pm's i haven't recieved any from anyone for over a week . maybe a glitch in the site ?

I was kinda wondering , i sent you one concerning the prints and didn't here from you , i thought that was starnge.

Anyway try to pm me again and see how that goes .
    The RCU PM is not as reliable as we would like. I replied to every message. As for the 1/16 ply, did you try Micro Mark? Also try a local Micheal's store if you have one. Our local hobby store stocks it, so we are spoiled.

If it becomes too big an issue, I can ship you some.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was looking at Micro and i think they have a great price but didn't order as of yet .

they offer Birch Plywood, 1/64 Inch Thick x 12 Inches Wide x 24 Inches Long
    My LHS is 40 miles from me and there good people,,, they try hard to get me what i need and believe me i put them to the test .

Anyway i'll get the ply on the way .

Custom Pipes rc

I was looking at Micro and i think they have a great price but didn't order as of yet .

they offer Birch Plywood, 1/64 Inch Thick x 12 Inches Wide x 24 Inches Long
    MyΒ* LHSΒ* is 40 miles from me and there good people,,, they try hard to get me what i need and believe me i put them to the test .

Anyway i'll get the ply on the way .

Unfortunately, 1/32 is just too thick. The reason I use it at all is because the doors ride up the outside as per full scale doors and without the 1/64 skin, they would have no strength where they are very thin along the outside of the doors. There is virtually nothing but the 1/64 skin on the first 1/8" of the doors.

Name:	Xv62897.jpg 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	1604048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj24161.jpg 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	1604049  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,
    I have the engine pods finished and I have the weights. I'm only 1/10th. of an oz. difference... Mine came out to be 1# 9.4 & 1# 9.5 oz. each. This is with out any gear installed, just the airframe structure itself. I will be adding all the gear, and let you know the weight of each. My target weight is less then 14# gross take off weight for the model.

Now on to making my airframe stand, so I can build the removable tail, like Glacier Girl showed me. Great Idea too...thanks for the idea buddy.

Its been raining here for day's...so no flying this weekend...just model time.

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui

Name:	Xv63188.jpg 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	1605453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gd93983.jpg 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	1605454  
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We finnaly got some sunshine the past two days

I decided to do a little sanding on the pod outside today . Wow i got alot of air pockets in there so i think i will shoot a bit of foam in the cavities.
    I tried an idea with toothpicks before shooting the foam on . I wanted to make sure i had enough coverage . What i did is put a toothpick where the final pattern locations should be and marked them to the correct hite and snipped tham there. Now i new for sure i had enough foam on . Then when i started rough sanding i sanded parrelel to the pod bottom till i hit the tip of the toothpick . This worked out very well no much guessing there.Any way Gary i have no idea how you laid the foam on and made it look so good from the start . Mine looks pretty comical , but it worked .

Bob andBrad looks like your both doing great , keep posting pics on your progress , it helps .

Name:	Wu61763.jpg 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	1605823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64119.jpg 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	1605824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In27094.jpg 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	1605825  
    Custom Pipes rc

We finnaly got some sunshine the past two days

I decided to do a little sanding on the pod outside today . Wow i got alot of air pockets in there so i think i will shoot a bit of foam in the cavities.
    I tried an idea with toothpicks before shooting the foam on . I wanted to make sure i had enough coverage . What i did is put a toothpick where the final pattern locations should be and marked them to the correct hite and snipped tham there. Now i new for sure i had enough foam on . Then when i started rough sanding i sanded parrelel to the pod bottom till i hit the tip of the toothpick . This worked out very well no much guessing there.Any way Gary i have no idea how you laid the foam on and made it look so good from the start . Mine looks pretty comical , but it worked .

Bob andΒ*Brad looks like your both doing great , keep posting pics on your progress , it helps .

Β*

Nice job. I like the tooth picks. Kinda what we do in construction to screed concrete.

Comical is right. Looks like it is coming together though. Using the material quite a bit, maybe I just have a feel for how much it expands.

I used light weight filler to do the final filling prior to glassing. Remember the extra layers where the gear door will be cut out.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought you mite get a kick out of that ;}

I used a hacksaw blade to do the rough trimming , it worked pretty good .
    I should have the first coat of glass on in a few days . Yes i remember the extra coats , that part should go pretty smooth .

Now that the sun is out and the wind is low FINALLY !!!! , my boys and i are going to get some fly time in .
    Custom Pipes rc

I thought you mite get a kick out of thatΒ* ;}

I used a hacksaw blade to do the rough trimming , it worked pretty good .
    I should have the first coat of glass on in a few days . Yes i remember the extra coats , that part should go Β*pretty smooth .

Now that the sun is out and the wind is lowΒ* FINALLY !!!! , my boys and i are going to get some fly time in .
    I know how you feel. I went out to the field for the first time this season, just this morning. It finally quit raining for a few hours. I didn't take a plane. Just watched for awhile. I had a good time just the same. We plan to maiden a couple planes next week end, and fly an old favorite or two.
    Cheers,

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast