Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitroplanes 90

Well you all suck!!! It's been beautiful here, and I haven't had time to fly or build.

Wifey wanted a new car, kept on and on about a Corolla for the fuel mileage. Wanna guess what we bought?
    A freaking Jeep Wrangler 4x4. Out the window with the gas mileage, and I have no clue why we need another 4WD in Florida.

And then to top it off she got her hands on a Jeep catalog. She's gone nuts, and I'm working my fingers to the bone and spending cash like I was buying airplanes.

So far, and this thing is just over a week old, it's gotten new wheels and tires, yanked out the back seat so her dogs have somewhere to sit, off road lamps (4) added, Tow hooks, a hitch, cargo mat, safari top, different fender flares, and there is a winch coming cause someone thinks it makes her jeep look tough.....................

I lost half the shop as she doesn't want it to get dusty. It's black, you know how fast black gets dusty. So no sanding in the shop.

Help me!!!!!!
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

Well you all suck!!! It's been beautiful here, and I haven't had time to fly or build.

Wifey wanted a new car, kept on and on about a Corolla for the fuel mileage. Wanna guess what we bought?
    A freaking Jeep Wrangler 4x4. Out the window with the gas mileage, and I have no clue why we need another 4WD in Florida.

And then to top it off she got her hands on a Jeep catalog. She's gone nuts, and I'm working my fingers to the bone and spending cash like I was buying airplanes.

So far, and this thing is just over a week old, it's gotten new wheels and tires, yanked out the back seat so her dogs have somewhere to sit, off road lamps (4) added, Tow hooks, a hitch, cargo mat, safari top, different fender flares, and there is a winch coming cause someone thinks it makes her jeep look tough.....................

I lost half the shop as she doesn't want it to get dusty. It's black, you know how fast black gets dusty. So no sanding in the shop.

Help me!!!!!!
    Can't help ya with that pal.

The last new car we bought was in 2004, a Chrysler minivan. 143,000 on it now. My Dodge dully has 300,000 on it and I pick it up at the body shop tomorrow after some much need cosmetic attention. Both doors rebuilt, hinges realigned, rockers fixed, rear bumper pulled a little and the quarters touched up, front fenders touched up, repaint from the molding down all the way around and the door jams, and all new stuff undercoated, $1100. I had some money saved for Top Gun, and when I couldn't make the trip, I decided to get my truck fixed with some of it so I had something to show for it. When I look at my truck now, I'll be thinking of Top Gun 2012.

We have 7 kids and now 6 grand kids. They all live within 20 minutes of us. We manage to spend most of what we make on the family and upkeep. I try and keep hobby money in the hobby loop. It has been tough at times, especially when the kids were little. I got very good at building and rebuilding. Maybe why I enjoy bashing ARFs as I do. I bashed my own builds and the builds of others for years before we even had ARFs.

I wish you some very pleasant nights after all this, at least.

Perhaps then you will be able to get back to showing some love to your planes.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,
    I have one rule that my wife and I agreed ( kind of ) on. She can do what ever she wants to inside the house...but the garage is mine...all mine and she can't even ask to store one thing in that man cave. So far it has worked...and besides painting a room from time to time, re-shifting furnature and putting up and changing picture location...she seems happy with the agreement. She has one room...I call her santuary...and if the door is closed...I leave her alone. It has her sewing machine, TV...and other assorted female equipment. My garage is my hobby shop and holds all the tools one needs to keep the home working in good order...and if the door is closed to the garage...she leaves me at peace with my models.

Not much on the model this week...My folks are on the main land, and the family is remodeling some of their home. I should be back in P-38 production next week. Tomorrow its golf, and Saturday, its off to the model airport at Pu'unene.

Soft landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like that Brad straight to the point  ( Well you all suck!!!  )   LOL
    I know for a fact here in western NY  if you don't have a 4 wheel drive in the winter chances are your not going to make it to work in the dead of winter.
    But look on the positive side you can always take it for a ride on the beach with the wife and run out of gass  ;}.

Hey Bob your very lucky you have a spot you can call a man cave ,My wife decided she wanted to move out in the country so i sold my house in the city , wich had a 2 car garage and a full basement , now i have a prefab with a crawl space and the taxes are way to high here to put up a garage ,
    So i took over the front living room that   looks more like a hanger ,she respects my hobbies to bad i had to give up raceing ;{ ( for now ).

Gary i wanted to ask you , do ever come out to Hamburg NY  for the meets they have there ?
    P-38 Lightning Brotherhood #21
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Gary i wanted to ask you , do ever come out to Hamburg NY for the meets they have there ?"

Have not been out there, but would like to.

Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It has been another one of those rainy days so i took advantage and got a few more things done .
    The pod bottom needs one more final sanding after three coats of filler and if i do say so myself it is looking great.

I put the rest of the stringers on the booms and reinforced all the original glue joints .

All i have left on the booms is to put a few stringers on the original main egde so have something to glue the sheeting to , and of course more sanding .

I am going to try and get some sheeting on , what i was thinking is making a template from paper first and see if i can put it on with one shot from former #3 to #10, sense i purchased the sheeting at 4" wide i am going to try and put 2 pieces together the length way with ca , and wet it real good . I have plenty extra if anything goes wrong ,

Then back to more sanding and filling .

Btw Gary that red devil compond works great on the pod ,, GREAT IDEA !!!

Oh ya ,,, i still have to fill those nasty notches where the main landing gear supports were .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us55161.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	1608472  
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks very good. See how easy it is to cut the gear doors out after they are sheeted.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,
    I have re-assembled the right engine pod, and have the engine-fire wall forward assembled. I installed the engine servo and ran the throttle cable to the carb. I installed the elevator and rudder servo's and I used standard Airtronics 94322 ball bearing servos on the elevator and rudder, and a 94102 on the throttle. I installed the 2000 ma. nickle battery above the fuel tank and have the 16 oz. DuBro fuel tank set in the nose. The main gear is in too, and I'm almost finished with the starboard engine pod. Then on to the port engine pod.

This is the final assembly prior to painting and I'm installing all the electrics-hooking every thing up, making sure every thing is working as it is suppose to, then taking it all appart one more time, and paint her.

I had to install new engine mounts, for I missed drilled the first time. The replacement units are very close to the kit supplied ones, but an "r-c-h" shorter. It made for an interesting cowl re-fit, for everything almost fit...almost. A few holes are a bit off, but I can live with it.

My two engine pods are not the same dimensions where the cowl fits onto the fuse. I took the measurment off of just one engine pod, not both, and when I went to fit the cowl to the mounted engine...I found I was not able to force the cowl onto the engine forward section far enough to place the spinner onto the engine. This engine pod had a larger forward section, and I took all my measurements off of the smallest dimensioned engine pod. So I had to redrill the engine mounting holes as far forward as I could, and still mount the engine, to fit the cowl, with spinner attached. I should have measured both first then drilled the engine mounting holes to fit that particular engine pod. I sanded as much as I dared...but I ended up redrilling both engine mounts, on both sides. That was my delema...do I refit new engine mounts, or pray the double drilled engine mounts won't fail.

If the weather holds out...I'll be flying Sunday.

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got alot done this weekend , even found the time to get in quite a bit of fly time in .
    All the sheeting is now on and went without a hitch , pretty easy.

Also cut out the bay doors and covered them with ply .
    I split them in half with a very fine exacto saw , looking real good so far .
    I had to wic a little bit on the edges with CA , they just didn't seem to want to stay down, but all is good now.

I cut out the notches for the hinges on the boms and mistakanly cut thru in one spot ( oops ) shouldn't be a prob with a little filler .

When i was trying to fit the bay doors i was havinga bit of trouble lining them up ,,,,and after scratching my head for a while i noticed the doors were warped a little .
    Maybe due to the tensel strength from the plywood is greater than the balsa stringers and sheeting,
    So what i am trying is wet the assembly and prop it up on shims on the ends and put a weight in the center to strighten it out .

I wasn't real happy with the pod , i thought i had it ready for glassing till after close inspection i seen several small bumps . So i put another heavy coat of filler on there and we'll see tommorow how that goes .

All and all this mod is alot of fun . To bad i am such a perfectionist i would probably have in done by now ;}

I am already thinking on how to put the finish on , so i'm thinking of takeing all the monokote off the booms and pod and spraypaint them to match the wings , horizontal and virtical stabs.

Btw Gary ,, the shrink rap works great !!!!! All the sheeting laid right down were i wanted it .

Name:	Ki20525.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	1613687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	So42907.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1613688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo39920.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	1613689  
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice work.

The reason I have started using Gorilla glue for sheeting is that you can wet the sheeting to make it pliable, and that very moisture, the glue uses to cure. Best of both worlds.

keep in mind that if you look closely at most WWII airframes, they are not very smooth. They are wavy and full of dents, large and small. An imperfect surface is more scale.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your so right Gary . I dampend the bay doors and the gorila glue gave a bit and now they fit perfect.

I mounted the hinges and wow they workgreat .
    It took alittle trial and error to fit them as for shimming them to get the correct sweep.
    I started with thebay doorhinge plateand added 1/8 shims and worked my way up to 5/16" till i was satisfied on the movment .

As far as the tire size i know you mentioned 7/8" wide but i already have the standard 1-1/8" wide tires , when i test fit the strut with this tire
    i can see why you went with the narrow tire and thedoor closersystem to work well , the offset of the strut will be right against the frame but will function.

I am going try and use your concept for the door closer and see if i can get the doors timed right. If not i'll try something simular and post what i come up with,

Also i got the first coat of glass on the pod . I can't wait to cut in there for the nose gear door ,

This mod is fantastic everything is going smooth and i am realy enjoying it .

Tomorrow i have the day off so i am going to take advantage of the time and goto the shop and machine some new motor mounts .

Name:	Fd92137.jpg 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	1615488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63636.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	1615489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22514.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	1615490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gc91083.jpg 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	1615491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt58475.jpg 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	1615492  

Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

She is looking great. Glad you are enjoying the build. The flying is even better. Things are finally settling down with the family and I have more hobby time. See my PM to you.

As for the gear, if you need to use wider tires, you may want to slide the gear base inboard a bit on the plywood plate. You'll have to widen the notch I have in it. Even 1/8" may help. The outboard gear door is very close to the tire as the cable pulls it shut. A wider tire will make it even closer. I had to remove material from the inside that door and you will to, regardless.

It takes some time to work out the geometry and the cable adjustment, but when finished, you have a trouble free, totally reliable system every cycle.

Gotta love that Gorilla glue.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW, I found a plumbing problem on mine and found myself needing to remove the port fuel tank. As I have the booms permanently attached to the wing center section, this became interesting. I found that the tank will fit in between the dowels, so I simply removed the throttle servo, and cut out the leading edge of the wing between the dowels, leaving them glued in. The cut out went all the way to the back of the servo cutout. This gave me plenty of room to slide the tank up and out. This area provides no real strength to the wing IMO. When done, I glued the parts back in place.

Wish I had taken pictures of the process. I just wanted to mention it so that you all know it is possible to gain access to the tank even if you glue the boom on as I did.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Folks, panhandler has pointed out a misprint in the manual pertaining to the location of the nose gear door hinges. The manual states to measure 1 5/8" back from the front of the bay cut out to the center of the front hinge. The correct dimension is 2 5/8".

Thanks for pointing it out Dan. I'll make the correction in the manual.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't meen to be a stickler but i thought i should mention it .

For some reason the pod door hinge is getting the best of me . I tried several wedges on the pod side of the hinge and just cannot quite get the edge of the door and pod to line up correctly. I am thinking of cutting away the fiberglass where the hinge should be mounted and instead of mounting it to the glass ,, mount it to the aluminum cover . The amount of space needed to have the pod and door to be flush is just about the thickness of the glass.

Any thoughts on this ?
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: panhandler

I don't meen to be a stickler but i thought i should mention it .

For some reason the pod door hinge is getting the best of me . I tried several wedges on the pod side of the hinge and just cannot quite get the edge of the door and pod to line up correctly. I am thinking of cutting away the fiberglass where the hinge should be mounted and instead of mounting it to the glass ,, mount it to the aluminum cover . The amount of space needed to have the pod and door to be flush is just about the thickness of the glass.

Any thoughts on this ?
    You need to 'slot' the side of the opening and embed it. I then made aluminum covers and screwed them over the exposed slot. The pictures should show this. Hope this helps.

I'm in Georga at the Mac Hodges event, but I have the P-38 with me if you need any specific pictures.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok finaly got it . I missunderstood the method you used to mount the hinges .I was trying to fasten them to the underside of the fg.
    It may have worked but nearly impossiable to apply the epoxy and position the door correctly .

I went back and took a closer look at the pics and i can see how you embeded them , i must have looked at that pic several times before and it just didn't register .

I got my trusty dremal out and used a 4 flute 1/8" end mill and carefully cut the slots ,,, and WHAAALAA ,, they fit like a charm.

BTW did you get any pics or video of your P-38 in action at the Mac Hodges event ?

Name:	Qo39391.jpg 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	1622267  
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OkΒ* finaly got it . I missunderstood the method you used to mount the hinges .I was trying to fasten them to the underside of the fg.
    It may have worked but nearly impossiable to apply the epoxy and position the door correctly .

I went back and took a closer look at the pics and i can see how you embeded them , i must have looked at that pic several times before and it just didn't register [img][/img].

I got my trusty dremal out and used a 4 flute 1/8'' end mill and carefully cut the slots ,,, and WHAAALAAΒ* ,, they fit like a charm.

BTWΒ*Β* did you get any pics or video of your P-38Β* in action at the Mac Hodges event ?
    Here ya go guys. The famous Mac Hodges B-29 and our P-38 are both 1/7 scale. I will always cherish these pictures.

Name:	Tq48873.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	1622366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72598.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	1622367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36267.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	1622368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38260.jpg 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	1622369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64336.jpg 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	1622370  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vs55514.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	1622371  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking real good Gary !
    Those pics are definatly keepers , the P-38 is looking fantastic next to Mac Hodges B-29 .  After looking at them all sitting there in the hanger makes me think of my next project , i have not quite decided yet on either a B-17 or B-25 . Gotta love those war birds .
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the rest of the story.

We flew the P-38 all three days and a great time. On what was to be the last flight of the day, end the event for us, I was flying formation with the F4F seen in the back ground of this picture. It is owned and flown by Scott Prossen. We were having so much fun I lost track of the time. As I got the gear down and prepared to get into landing pattern (I waited for Scott to land) the I ran the right engine on my P-38 out of fuel!!!! How stupid. I struggled with it as it flew away from me and over the forest. I got it turned 180 and headed back but it was getting lower and dipped out of sight. The last thing I saw was one of the wing tips as it rolled into it's death spin and went in. Miraculously, we were able to find it in the thick forest and recovered all the vital parts. However, the air frame is a total loss. After over 4 years, she is gone.

You replay these things in your mind over and over. Had I reduced the power on the left engine to 1/4, got the gear the gear and flaps back up, and made an immediate LEFT turn to a military pattern approach, glided her down to about 3 feet and then popped the gear back down, I think I could have saved her.

Looks like I will be right there with many of you who are just building this plane. I have some other projects that take precedence, but I hope to build up another fresh airframe over the winter of 2011. When I do, I'll be adding some improvements, like the wing fairings I always wanted to do the original, and some other things.

This P-38 has been one of my favorite planes to fly and am looking forward to replacing her with a new one. I might do her in natural aluminum next time. We'll see.

Name:	Qo40643.jpg 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	1622487  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking real good Gary !
    Those pics are definatly keepersΒ*, the P-38 is looking fantastic next to Mac Hodges B-29Β*. Β*After looking at them all sitting there in the hanger makes me think of my next project , i have not quite decided yet on either a B-17 or B-25 . Gotta love those war birds .
    Yes, I saw about (4) B17s, Mac's B-29, a Tiger Cat, (3) B-25s, (2) Black Widows (one of which I was privileged to fly for a new friend I met at the event), and my lone P-38.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So sorry to hear you lost her .

I bet the next P-38 will be even better ,, i was just thinking you didn't name her , kind of like the unknown soldier.

With my P-38 thework is coming along great ,i am very happy with the way thebay doorsand pod door works without binding.
    The pod door is all set and drying , as you can see i left the bolts in the hinges till they dry.
    Next step is to installthe landing gear and get her on her feet .

Name:	Mk25561.jpg 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	1622523  
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So sorry to hear you lost her .

I bet the next P-38 will be even better ,, i was just thinking you didn't name her , kind of like the unknown soldier.

With my P-38 theΒ*work is coming along great ,Β*i am very happy with the way theΒ*bay doorsΒ*and pod door works without binding.
    The pod door is all set and drying , as you can see i left the bolts in the hinges till they dry.
    Next step is to installΒ*the landing gear and get her on her feet .
    Thank you my friend. I'm really going to miss her this flying season. I'll be flying a CARF F4U 110" Corsair with a Moki 250 radial this summer, so I will still be having some fun I hope.

The P-38 was always a hit everywhere I flew her, and Mac's event was no exception. I loved when guys asked which one she was a I told them it was the Nitro P-38. They would always be astonished. I love it. You guys will too.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That door looks good. Nice fit.

Make sure you get the main gear doors fit and hinged BEFORE you install the gear. It is easy to reach inside from the top and set the hinges before you install the gear mounts.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gary, Sorry to hear that,,
    Good new is Rich has then on Sale this week for $229 + shipping via his web site (sale ends today)
    I may just order one too
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast