Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitroplanes 90

Oh yes Gary . Take a look at post #905 above . I plan on inlarging the hole that the fuel tank stopper would have gone thru to grab as much air as i can from the prop wash . I am still deciding on the location for theesc's , I may tuck them in behind the fire wall at an angle just behind the inlarged hole . This would work as a deflection to channel the air flow over the top of the mid wing section and over the bats then down the booms and exit thru the raditor covers. Also in the bottom of the bat bay there is a hole there already for the wire chase . I plan on leaving this hole unubstructed and have the bats rest on 1/4" foam pads forward and aft .
    P-38 Lightning Brotherhood #21
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: panhandler

Oh yes Gary . Take a look at post #905 above . I plan on inlarging the hole that the fuel tank stopper would have gone thru to grab as much air as i can from the prop wash . I am still deciding on the location for the EC'S , I may tuck them in behind the fire wall at an angle just behind the inlarged hole . This would work as a deflection to channel the air flow over the top of the mid wing section and over the bats then down the booms and exit thru the raditor covers. Also in the bottom of the bat bay there is a hole there already for the wire chase . I plan on leaving this hole unubstructed and have the bats rest on 1/4'' foam pads forward and aft .
    Very cool. I plan on electric for my next one as well. I'm very anxious to see how all this works.
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When we were doing the engine test , we ran the motors up to 3/4 throttle for 5 mins to see how much heat was generated between the bats and Esc's , surprisingly the bats stayed cool but the esc's got a bit warm , but this is normal . Also the motors got luke warm .
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    You were going to send the kit and CD but I haven't seen it yet, has it gone and when?
    Thanks Barry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here we go guys . we started putting together the wireing harnes and i justcouldn't resist giving these motors a run in ( just to make sure all connection are solid ) ;}

The motors are Turnigy C6364-280 that can deliver enough power compariable to a .90 -150 glow .and our plane only requires 2- .52 glow @ flying weight of 14 lbs . Sinse this bird is going to hit 20 lbs i am going to need all the power i can get .

Mind you the C6364 will take up to 36 volts and i am only running them with 6c22.2 v. So i am not sure on how to compare them with the actual glow engine they represent.

I would love to stick a couple of 10 c bats in her. ,I don't need any more weight and where to put them ?

Here is a vid we made to check all the connections . We are useing 2 rx'sto cut down on Y connections also a seperate power suply for the rx's .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S931sZ6-ox4

Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hay Panhandler,
    It was nice to see how your instilation worked. I know very little of e-flying and yes I've seen it a our flying field, but with mixed results. I do have a few ultra light electrics, but all these use just a 1s-130 ma. battery. Your set up is much more complex then anything I've worked with. I do love the sound of a good running 2-stroke and two or more good running 2-strokes make my heart sing. There are reliability issues with both modes of power...and its nice to see how you powered your P-38. The only large complex electric model I ever ever witnessed, was a Hanger 9, B-25. It crashed and literly burned up at our field (it was the lipo's that created the fire). To me it was underpowered, the model never did get on step after the take-off...and just rolled over and went in as soon as he started to turn crosswind. The model was heavy and to me underpowered...and 2-stroke or electric...in this condition, your an accident looking to happen.

I will look forward to your first flight report...and do send more pictures.

I've finished...finishing my stand and now into the finishing mode of the model...finally. I am removing my Spring Air retracts and sending them to Magnum R/C. I am looking to have electric motors installed into these retracts. Lado retracts have served me very well in the past and one less worry for me on this model.

Soft Landings Always,
    bobbyofMaui
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51871.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	1678526  
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Hay Panhandler,
    It was nice to see how your instilation worked. I know very little of e-flying and yes I've seen it a our flying field, but with mixed results. I do have a few ultra light electrics, but all these use just a 1s-130 ma. battery. Your set up is much more complex then anything I've worked with. I do love the sound of a good running 2-stroke and two or more good running 2-strokes make my heart sing. There are reliability issues with both modes of power...and its nice to see how you powered your P-38. The only large complex electric model I ever ever witnessed, was a Hanger 9, B-25. It crashed and literly burned up at our field (it was the lipo's that created the fire). To me it was underpowered, the model never did get on step after the take-off...and just rolled over and went in as soon as he started to turn crosswind. The model was heavy and to me underpowered...and 2-stroke or electric...in this condition, your an accident looking to happen.

I will look forward to your first flight report...and do send more pictures.

I've finished...finishing my stand and now into the finishing mode of the model...finally. I am removing my Spring Air retracts and sending them to Magnum R/C. I am looking to have electric motors installed into these retracts. Lado retracts have served me very well in the past and one less worry for me on this model.

Soft Landings Always,
    bobbyofMaui
    Looking good Bob . Are you going to cover the support edges with a cusion? When i put my craddle together i lined the edges with pipe insulation but my craddle turned out to more of a work bench to support the booms and pod.

This is my first build with twin engines and i have read that so many models were lost due to a flame out so thats why i decided to go with electric . I am very carefully installing the components with keeping in mind the installation of four strokes down the road .
    The B-25 is truley a sad loss but there are risk that are taken with electric . The most common reason the lipo's will cause a fire is a cold solder joint , believe me ihed a bad experiance with this . I was testing my bats for the first time and and i had a bad joint . The 12 gage wire lit up before my eyes in a split second and was gone like it was never there .

As i type this i have one of the booms in my lap ,, setting up the door closeing system . The remaainder of the balse sheeting came today so i have alot of work ahead of me .

Dan

Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thought i give an update . I been realy bussy with oyher projects but still moving foreward with the P-38.

I cut out the mid wing section on bothupper sections right above the booms and created the bat bays . I lined the bottom of the bay with 1/8" light ply and epoxied it in on all edges then cut the slits for the velcroe straps.Then cut air flow opennings 1-3/8" wide x 3" long in the bottom of the bays. The bats will rest ontop of 1/2" thick foam strips to keep the air moving around them .The bottom is very strong and i should have no probs in the case of a hard landing .

Also i cut the front pod bulk head to install the retract valve and servo . I went with Garys idea of the sliding tray and it works great , i need as much wieght up front that i can get with the components.

Both outer wing section are ready for primer , i have them fully sheeted , filled and sanded.

Almost have the rudders and elevator sheeted but i am waiting on more 1/32" balsa sheeting.

As a precaution i am going to fire proof the bat bays just in case . If something was to go wrong it may give me more time to get her down and save something .

As for the CG it is looking real good ,

Dan

Name:	Jh17155.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	1690401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93478.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	1690402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af90895.jpg 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	1690403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt58067.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1690404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av69147.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1690405  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot47892.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	1690406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh14829.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	1690407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw70826.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1690408  
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Today i finished covering the mid wing section with LS2 . These are the last compnents to be covered. At this time i have the entire plane covered in LS2.
    I also installed all the hindges on the tail section . When the mid wing section dries i will start connecting all the control surfaces to the servoes.
    Then onto the finishing.

One thing to keep in mind while applying LS2 is the temperature must be 70 - 75 degrees ( or a bit warmer ). I tried it on a scrap piece when the temp was 65 degrees and it just doesnt flow very well.

Here are a few pics . The mid wing section is still wet , the streaks will flow together as they did before , great stuff.

When i get her all together i will post a pic of this white dove

Dan

Name:	Bz77292.jpg 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	1714409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54457.jpg 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	1714410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu51610.jpg 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	1714411  
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW , The rotissorie i used from my bbq worked out great , just add pieces of a coat hanger and some tape and youcan make up just about any drive that is needed.

If anyone has an extra canopy for this model that you don't need please pm me with cost , over the holidays somethiing must have been set on top of mine and it has a few cracks , doesn't look to good.

Dan
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tonight i installed the tail section. And set the wing settings. I was amazed when measuring the diagonal measurements they came in within 3/16".

For those of you that have followed this mod from the beginning i had her all ready to fly within a week from i received the P-38 . As many others thought this bird can do better ( in comes Gary's mod ) so i cut the tail very carefully and of course lost a few crucial parts in the frame work.

I saved all measurements and glad i did. After assembling and disassembling so many times the under rated wing bolts didn't last long . So i made a set of my own from aluminum ( 6mm ) and they only weigh .7 of an ounce.

I used gorilla glue in the tail section thinking this will take up any gaps that occurred from the initial cuts. The tail ground clearance came in at 4-5/8" , not bad only 1'8" off scale .

Dan

Name:	Sq46744.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	1715565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr56291.jpg 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	1715566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp32892.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1715567  
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am really moving along with this mod . If the weather was better i could maiden her tomorrow.
    My sons bought a set of skies for one of there trainers so we are going to do some flying today .

This entire mod has several changes to it contributed from most everyone's builds in this thread .

The next step i find myself once again ,,, how do i finish her . Paint or aluminum foil.

As for covering her with foil i think would be the best way to go , she is fully covered with LS2 and

is very smooth and strong . I just need more detail of the panel lines . I can't seem to find a clear

enough picture as of yet . If anyone has a link or some pics of panel lines please post.

One of my sons has the BH RTF P-38 and this model has some very clear panel lines but are they correct?

Dan

Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here you go buddy. These are good for the J model.

This 3-view was the reference for mine. You should also find it on the disk.

Excellent work. Even better than I did. Can't wait to see her in person.

Any idea of the weight so far, with the LS coating?

Name:	Jh16144.jpg 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	1717182  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Gary , i went thru the cd and the pic is there. That should do it . I am going to take the file to work and blow it up a bit then convert it to scale.

I remember you mentioned before that you didn't trust the nylon bolts that came with the kitbecause this bird is going to get a bit heavier than it was desighned for . So tonight i am spending some time in this area . I noticed the cross strap for the wing bolt nutsarenot sturdy enough . So i have a choice , put try stock on the top edge of the booms where they meet the mid wing section and glue them in perminint. Or remove the straps . I decided to cut out the straps and make new ones from 1/8" heavy ply and laminate 2 pieces together . My thinking is i can control the alighnment of the blind nuts and wing bolts much better then stock .I have nothing to lose , i can always go back to glueing the section in perminant. As i posted above i machined myself new wing bolts from aluminum , they are very light .

As far as the wieght , a month ago i rough installed all the components and she came in just over 19 lbs. When i get done with beefing up the wing bolt section i will check her again. Not much more going in her except for the finish foil ( i gotta try it , never used it before so what the heck ).

This entire mod is full o f technics i have never tried before and i have to say i am taking my time with great results in every area .

I don't know about this bird beeing better than yours but i am doing my best while learning alot .

I am sure this summer we will meet up to do some testing on other projects . I will bring the P-38 with me and it would be an honor to hand you the controls .

Dan
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Gary , i went thru the cd and the pic is there. That should do it . I am going to take the file to work and blow it up a bit then convert it to scale.

I remember you mentioned before that you didn't trust the nylon bolts that came with the kitΒ*because this bird is going to get a bit heavier than it was desighned for Β*. So tonight i am spending some time in this area . I noticed the cross strap for the wing bolt nutsΒ*areΒ*not Β*sturdy enough . So i have a choice , put try stock on the top edge of the booms where they meet the mid wing section and glue them in perminint. OrΒ* remove the straps . I decided to cut out the straps and make new ones Β*from 1/8'' heavy Β*ply and laminate 2 pieces together . My thinking is i can control the alighnment of the blind nuts and wing bolts much better then stock .I have nothing to lose , i can always go back to glueing the section in perminant. As i posted above i machined myself new wing bolts from aluminum , they are very light .

As far as the wieght , a month ago i rough installed all the components and she came in just over 19 lbs. When i get done with beefing up the wing bolt section i will check her again. Not much more going in Β*her except for the finish foil ( i gotta try it , never used it before so what the heck ).

This entire mod is full o f technics i have never tried before and i have to say i am taking my time with great results in every area .

I don't know about this bird beeing better than yours but i am doing my best while learning alot .

I am sure this summer we will meet up to do some testing on other projects . I will bring the P-38 with me and it would be an honor to hand you the controls .

Dan
    Sounds good Dan. And it would be a privilege to fly her. I would be glad to.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My P-38 with the famous Mac Hodges B-29. They are both 1/7 scale so I thought this was a cool picture to have.

Name:	By76431.jpg 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	1719009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz79006.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	1719010  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those pics are definatly keepers, a rare treat .
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still have not gottin a total wieght yet , i gota bit tied up in fine tuneing .
    After going thru several feet of cable and several crimps i concluded i just don't have what it takes to get the gear doors to close just right .
    So i came up with a cheater sytem to close the doors and to be adjustable.
    I used some leftovers from some pull pull systems and .020 dia. piano wire , also #10 s/s washers.

In the pics i have the washers set with thick CA and i will let them setup over night then i will apply 30 min epoxy to coat them.

Before i put the finishing touches on her i want all the mechanics behind me . The turbo hatches are next . I came up with a spring latch to hold them down , i will post that soon.

Dan

Name:	Tq48848.jpg 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	1724842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn41570.jpg 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	1724843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk18170.jpg 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	1724844  
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still have not gottin a total wieght yet , i gotΒ*a bit tied up in fine tuneing .
    After going thru several feet of cable and several crimps i concluded i just don't have what it takes to get the gear doors to close just right .
    I used some leftovers from some pull pull systems and .020 dia. piano wire , also #10 s/s washers.

In the pics i have the washers set with thick CA and i will let them setup over night then i will apply 30 min epoxy to coat them.

Before i put the finishing touches on her i wantΒ* all the mechanics behind me . The turbo hatches are next . I came up with a spring latch to hold them down , i will post that soon.

Dan
    Dan, I did the original adjustments from above with the wing off. It was possible to reach through and pull the doors shut and slide the crimp in place, then I did the crimping from the bottom. It did take some patience, but after the first one, it went pretty smooth.

Your solution looks like it works just fine.
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I still have not gottin a total wieght yet , i gota bit tied up in fine tuneing .

Before i put the finishing touches on her i want all the mechanics behind me . The turbo hatches are next . I came up with a spring latch to hold them down , i will post that soon.

Dan
    Dan, I did the original adjustments from above with the wing off. It was possible to reach through and pull the doors shut and slide the crimp in place, then I did the crimping from the bottom. It did take some patience, but after the first one, it went pretty smooth.

Your solution looks like it works just fine.

Now you tell me !!!! .... Just kidding bud
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry buddy. That suggestion should have been in the manual. I'll have to see if it is. Can't remember.

Anyway, once you get it all adjusted, the system for closing the doors really is very simple and totally reliable.

Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been racking my brain on how to secure the turbo hatches. I tried a few different methods , first i tried bending .015 dia. piano wire to create a sort of clip . When the hatch closes the wire would snap into place . Well this works ok but i am sure the wire will cut its way into the bulkhead.
    I was thinking of a few differant ways to secure them from the bottom thru the bay doors , then i got to thinking if for some reason my retracts lost air i would have no way of removing the hatches when the doors are closed and the gear are locked. also my lipo bats are under the hatches and i need to get at them at any givin time.

The first pic is the piano wire idea , then i came up with this . Sense i opened the back side of the radiator scoops to create air flow for my bats and esc's i could access a release mechinism from the opening.
    I used some left over 4-40 control rods and tube , And of course springs from a pen. As you can see in the pics this gives me a possitive lock and easy access to the pull rod to release the hatch.

Now onto the engine cowls and guns.
    Dan

Name:	Nl28754.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1727154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw71953.jpg 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1727155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di99244.jpg 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1727156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn31488.jpg 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	1727157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72544.jpg 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	1727158  

Name:	Id95190.jpg 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	1727159  
    Custom Pipes rc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	Fc90399.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	1727167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56181.jpg 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	1727168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94423.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1727169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk26728.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	1727170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67557.jpg 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	1727171  

Name:	Db86467.jpg 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	1727172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44606.jpg 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	1727173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh17305.jpg 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	1727174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh14618.jpg 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	1727175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn35799.jpg 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	1727176  

Name:	Ec89509.jpg 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	1727177  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	Db84062.jpg 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	1727178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72126.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	1727179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11056.jpg 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	1727180  
    Cheers,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for posting the more detailed pics of the mod .I should have done that also. My mind is on getting her up in the air . My thinking of going this way with the latcth is fast access to the bats ,,, just in case i have a problem . I have to say this mod is fantastic .
    Custom Pipes rc

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast