Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Beech Starship

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beech Starship

I know this is a longshot, but I have fallen in love with Burt Rutan's Starship. I have been looking for plans, or dare I ask, a glass kit.... This thing is pure beauty, and would be a REALLY COOL project. this thing just begs to be built with a couple of electrics (keeps the lines pure) ......
anyway.... anyone know of a set of plans or a kit?

Thanks!
CC
Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
bofrcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beech Starship

ahhh,,, you have good taste!! it sure would be an eye stopper!! I'll be watching this thread,, see if anything develops,,
Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 PM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

Try Kerry Sterner at [email protected]

If I remember right it was a large one.

Chuck
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 AM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

That would be a great project! Keep us posted on your findings. I could see one of these planes in my hangar.

Mike
Old 02-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Edwin

Bob Holeman has a set of big plans in his catalog. I dont think you see it on his web site. I have his catalog and its in there. Didnt see a mention of a glass fuse.
Edwin
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
corsaircrazy

how big is big? and a glass fuselage is just a fantasy, icing on the cake. a built up fuse is just fine.....
do you have a plan number?
CC
Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Edwin

Its bigger than the man holding it. Had to go back and look, says 2760mm ws which is 108.66" ws. Its a pretty obscure picture so you cant tell much from it. But the description is;
Starship 1
VTH German Plan MT 1011
WS 2760 mm
Engines Two 60s

Bob Holman has a ton of plans that are not included on the web site. The catalog makes for great reading. Its pretty poor quality as far as pictures go but there is enough description there to tease you.
Edwin
Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw one at the Toledo show back in the mid Nineties. It was huge, beautifully built and painted, and had all kinds of electronics and engineering on board. It even had scale exhaust. It didn't even get a mention in the awards program. Soured me on contests and have never entered one since. I though the sponsoring club (many will know who I'm talking about) should have been ashamed of itself. Anyway, it has been modeled in a 'big' way, but haven't seen anything recently. I agree that this is one of the prettiest general aviation aircraft ever designed.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 PM
fliir

If you want a small (42 inch) electric, check out this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312172
Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is Kerry's on post 42.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64..._2/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 AM
nickchud

Hello

I've got a Starship that flies beautifully, and I'd gladly share my plans for free, cos it's such a beautiful plane.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923006&page=25#post13334926]Starship build thread[/link]

Cheers

Nick
Old 10-24-2009, 11:20 PM
corsair-wb

Ok this is another great twin that I will need the plans for, I do like the bigger size. Where can I get the plans???
Old 10-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Vampire

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi ram3500-RCU

I have not been on the Twin engine tread in a very long time. Today I came across this STRASHIP thread and your ref. to my STARSHIP as displayed at the TOLDEO show in 1994.

I thank you for your generous words concerning my 18% Exact Scale Beechcraft STARSHIP-2000A.

You may recognize the attached pic from that show. It was very disheartening for me as well that it did not place considering several months earlier it won Best Of Show at the New York WRAMS trade show. But that is relegated to history now.

The STARSHIP represented a 4 year project completely and fully supported by Beechcraft as this was a way to promote the design /sales. I worked with Jim Terry who was at the time the Mgr. of Advanced Design / Beech Wichita.

As a result of Jim's involvement in my project, I have a Project file of STARSHIP technical data to die for including the Demo Flight Video, sales brochures, control surface rigging data, scale airfoil data and etc.

My STARSHIP has the scale airfoils which work very well and especially the sweeping canard. The only area of disappointment was the flight performance with the ST-2300's. In 2002 I retrofitted the airframe with MOKI 1.8's and was a marked improvement.

While typing this thread, it is hard to reconcile that all of this took place over 15 years ago and in those years I had offers to purchase my design and tooling, but I have retained it all and that turns out to have been a very good thing. In 1992 at Top Gun the first model turbine had been demonstrated by SOPHIA ( Propane powered) and I immediately wondered when I witnessed this, if and when this technology would lead to a Turbo Prop being made available and if they would be mall enough to fit my STASHIP in the future.

That brings us to 2009 and very good news. In 2007 WREN Turbines in the UK announced the development of a small Turboprop unit that had the potential to fit my subject airframe. When I received the CAD drawings from WREN, I confirmed the fit and I was BLOWN AWAY by the shear fact that these units fit my 18% scale airframe so well, that one would think I just designed my airframe last week around these TP units!

I think that perhaps I had paid enough dues to the SCALE GOD's over the years that they have graced me on this one.

After further communication with WREN and performing successful propeller testing, (remember, this is a pusher design and no-one had done this with a TP unit in modeling before and we needed to confirm that we would not burn up the wood props) I purchased a pair of these beautiful pieces of work and have begun the transformation of my 15 year old STARSHIP airframe.

I cannot describe the thrill this retrofit project has brought to me after all these years. My exact scale BEECHCRAFT STARSHIP incorporating every mechanical feature down to he John Ronc's designed airfoils and now prototypical TP power plants.................is just awesome. BTW, John designed all the airfoils for the RUTAN VOYAGER as well.

I could go on for another hour but need to pull up here for now.

Having seen Nick Chud's (he is in this thread) electric STARSHIP fly was a great reminder of the excellent stability inherent in the STARSHIP design.

Last but certainly not least, I'm now in the process of converting all my hand drawn 1991 > 1994 construction drawings to AUTOCAD for the single purpose of producing LASER cut parts as I have plans now to release construction drawings and a full kit of this design.

The existing airframe has a F/G Fuselage and Engine Nacelles while the Wings are wood and the Canard is Balsa Sheeted Foam core.

For anyone interested, please feel free to contact me at the email address below and I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion as I still report to the office each day for now.

Best regards to all.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62206.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1304755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75504.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1304756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56745.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	1304757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58979.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1304758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34773.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1304759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te48234.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1304760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31285.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1304761  
Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 AM
DelRay

Kerry,

Thanks for the additional pictures, they look great. A very interesting project, now becoming even more awesome with the addition of the TP units, they look like they belong there, like you said, it looks like you designed the aircraft around them. Good luck on your super project, I wish I could be there to witness a flight with the TP units.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Vampire

Hi DelRay,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I will post some Video after the initial, in the airframe TP run-up. Expected to take place in by Thanksgiving.

Best Regards.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Vampire

I have had a sgnificant no. of queries on the subject of the size of my Starship. Went thru my files and located this article from 1994 Top Gun. Working on converting my vintage Starship video from VHS to DVD. Will post when avail.

Working hard on converting all pencil drawings to CAD to build laser cuting files as the center wing section is wood construction.

The fuselage and engine nacelles are F/G on this 18% scale model, however I'm looking at developing a wood fueslage for those wanting to do alternate scale builds if the demand warrents this degree of work.

More as things progress.

Brg.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tq48731.pdf (344.4 KB, 232 views)
Old 11-13-2009, 12:51 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Will the sound be scale as well when cruising-I have one flying by my home almost everyday this last week-they have a different sound.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 AM
forestroke

that is an amazing project. i would love to see it take to skies as probably the most unique plane/model combinations in the sky. the noise from the turbines spooling up overtaken by the buffeting of the propellers will be a wonderful experience. please indulge us with frequent updates and lots of pictures!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Vampire

Hi Plane Jim, forestroke,

Back in the nities I had been traveling thru Wichita (home of Raytheon & the Starship plant) and was at the airport awaitng a flight and heard a very dfifferent sound.

I looked out the terminal windows and observed a STARSHIP on its takoff roll. It was avery uniuqe sound and I have never forgotten it.

I have heard that sound only once since then and sure enough it was a STARSHIP passing overhead at my home.

My TP's have been bench run with their respective 18 x 12 4 Blade props and I can confirm the do not make that signature sound associated w/ the Starship. However, I have not run them together. That will take place next week and will capture video and post.

I'm putting the final retrofit items to bed such as changing out of all the 15 year old analog servos for new JR Digitals and etc.

It is my sincerest plan to get out next week and perform taxi tests in prep for the test flight, weather permitting. The good news here is that I have many flights on this airfme over the years and thus puts that part of the test flight equation to bed as it is a known quantity.

I can only suspect the performance that TP's will bring to this chapter of the STARSHIP project.

My laser cutting files are nearly completed now and a sample set of parts is to be cut in the next 2 weeks for fit tests. I have pulled the molds out of storage and will be upgrading the nacelles to the current STARSHIP production version which addes even a bit more space for the TP's and the change in simplified cowling associated with the TP install.

When finished, my kit offering will suite not only the older Piston powered version upgarded to use GAS engines like the Evolution 35 (2.1 ci) and engine of similar configuration etc in addition to the high end TP power. Both motor mounting structures now exist in my CAD laser cutting files. The F/G Nacelles have always been able to accomidate both power plant configurations.

More to follow.

Take care.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 PM
forestroke

it's a pity that the starship never made it commercially. i remember when it first came out how radial the design was, how beautiful the shape was. i remember imagining as a high school student being a millionaire (meant a lot more then than now!) and affording my very own starship. it truly looked like a bit of science fiction! i remained a rutan fan for a while, diving into the specifics of the Long EZ's and the most beautiful kitplane ever, the berkut. it's sad to see that only a handful are flying and that i will likely not see one in the air. while i think the avanti is a technical barrage, to me it doesn't have the same sense of the beauty. to "see" yours in the sky will be wonderful.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Vampire

It has been a challenging winter here with several "nor-easter" snow stroms only a few weeks apart and thus several months with no activity on this project due this weather here in the North East and finally I can see my yard again as all the snow is nearly gone and the temps are creeping up to the High 40's, low 50's, this is good. My "cabin fever" is starting to break.

The Starship project has proceeded to the point where the TP's have been run in the airframe with excellent results and all electronic's upgrades have been completed as well. The Airframe is ready to see some runway time at the first opportunity and is expected to take place in the next several weeks. I will post pictures as this progresses up to the first flights w/ the retrofit TP power.

During the winter months, I up-graded the WREN 44-TP's with the most current production Gear Boxes. While Mike Murphy (WREN) stated that this update was not mandatory, it was a collective decission to incorporate it as both Mike and I wanted to have the most current production setup. I wish to thank Mike / WREN for working with me to this end and is a reflection of their commitment to customer satisfaction and support of their products. I could not be more pleased with the WREN 44-TP's operation and power delivery.

More to follow very shortly.

Best Regards to all.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Vampire

It has been a challenging winter here with several ''nor-easter'' snow stroms only a few weeks apart and thus several months with no activity on this project due this weather here in the North East and finally I can see my yard again as all the snow is nearly gone and the temps are creeping up to the High 40's, low 50's, this is good. My ''cabin fever'' is starting to break.

The Starship project has proceeded to the point where the TP's have been run in the airframe with excellent results and all electronic's upgrades have been completed as well. The Airframe is ready to see some runway time at the first opportunity and is expected to take place in the next several weeks. I will post pictures as this progresses up to the first flights w/ the retrofit TP power.

During the winter months, I up-graded the WREN 44-TP's with the most current production Gear Boxes. While Mike Murphy (WREN) stated that this update was not mandatory, it was a collective decission to incorporate it as both Mike and I wanted to have the most current production setup. I wish to thank Mike / WREN for working with me to this end and is a reflection of their commitment to customer satisfaction and support of their products. I could not be more pleased with the WREN 44-TP's operation and power delivery.

More to follow very shortly.

Best Regards to all.

I'm so happy to see this project moving forward. It would be great to see it at a future Top Gun, or some credited scale event that has knowledgeable and objective judging.

The Toledo show is good for seeing the new and upcoming stuff from vendors, but the show is run by a bunch of nepotistic good old boys who love up their friends with those tasty prizes, IMO. I will never waste three days of my life taking one of my creations to that show again, after what I have seen and experienced.

Your Starship should have been the hit of the ball way back then, and didn't even get the time of day from the "judges", and I use the term very loosely. They obviously don't know what they are looking at.

I'm sure, when she is ready, you'll be traveling her to quality events for us to witness her awesomeness. I'm looking forward to it.

Video is nice, and please tease us with it when you can, but this is one plane I will just have to see in person, somehow, some time.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

P.S. It has been near 60 around here this week. I hope Winter is in it's death throws. I have had enough, like you folks.I have three planes to maiden myself and am ready to get to it.[8D]
Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Vampire

ram 3500, It is likely we very well may cross paths sometime this year as I have been scaning the back of the AMA Mag. event calendar for a list of possible trips and several of them bring me to Ohio.

I'm going to attemp to post a brief TP run video this evening....it is a large file and hope it will upload.

Best Regards,

Old 03-10-2010, 03:47 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Vampire

ram 3500, It is likely we very well may cross paths sometime this year as I have been scaning the back of the AMA Mag. event calendar for a list of possible trips and several of them bring me to Ohio.

I'm going to attemp to post a brief TP run video this evening....it is a large file and hope it will upload.

Best Regards,

Please let me / us know where you will be in Ohio. I would like to get around a bit with my new Meister P-47 as well. Many are warbird events in and out of Ohio, but some are just for any giant scale, and your Starship qualifies for sure.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Vampire

Well, my video upload did not go thru. It is 20MB however the RCU/Video site will accept 50MB.....?? I received an "undeliverable" email saying it exceed the limit ? Could be an issue with my firewall. I did notice that the RCU proceedure to uplaod a video has changed signifcnatly. Have to check and try again.

Kerry S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.