Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

NEW KMP 95" B-25

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 AM
kiwibandit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike & Eldher. Thank you for your inputs. You both have valid ideas - however, what I observed was different to what you have explained. Let me clarify. The throttle position on the radio in my hand was not being moved from the full power setting - IE: it was wide open. You could hear the revs of the engines very slowly decreasing over the space of about a minute. If the stick was moved even a small amount then the revs would IMMEDIATELY revert to full power. Then the cycle would repeat. On the ground we ran the engines and after 90 seconds the engine revs were down to 2500. This was the setting I had set on the twin sync where the sync point started. The tx stick was still at max setting.

Eldher - I have tried all the other settings for the servo response. If I went for a faster setting, it just took less time to pull the engines back to 2500 revs. Strangely - a slower response made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. I have gone back to the factory default setting.

AN email from Ron has shed a bit of light. I will try his suggestion and report back.

Remember I changed the springs in my carbs to overcome the harmonics causing the barrels to float.
Well Ron feels that the extra friction that the servo has to deal with is causing the issue. The twin sync pulls the faster engine back and the slower one up. The extra drag is making my servo react as if it has a large dead band. That dead band is the problem. I will be changing my throttle servos to some that have a lot more torque. I currently have futaba 3004's fitted.

As a test - I set the aux on the twin sync to be able to disable it in flight at the flick of a switch. When the revs started to drop I dis-engaged the TS and flew it around. The engines stayed at full power the whole time. The tuning of the engines was spot on and ran perfectly right thru the rev range. I enabled the TS for landing.

By the way - all rc gear sold Down Under can't be turned off. Any more than one option becomes way too complicated. Hehe.

Happy flying guys.

The Kiwi Bandit.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:10 PM
kiwibandit

Right guys. Here is a link to my first flight on the B-25. It is a bit dis-jointed as the person on the camera kept stopping and starting instead of just letting it run and get the complete flight.

http://youtu.be/TuQ1U7jFIcw

When I collect the other bits of footage I will post as well.

Kiwi Bandit.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:24 PM
tmaucher

The link says that the video is private?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:40 PM
kiwibandit

Sorry about the dead link. I left the computer on this morning to continue the upload and it crashed. I will have another go and see if I have better success.

Kiwi Bandit.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:22 AM
kiwibandit

I have uploaded the video and added another flight on the end of it. This was not the best of landings. I had put in some more expo for this flight and I didn't flair quite hard enough. The result was a bit of a hard touch down and the left main collapsed. No real damage done and it is ready to go once again.

Here is the link again. (This one will work)

Kiwi Bandit.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:39 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwibandit
I have uploaded the video and added another flight on the end of it. This was not the best of landings. I had put in some more expo for this flight and I didn't flair quite hard enough. The result was a bit of a hard touch down and the left main collapsed. No real damage done and it is ready to go once again.

Here is the link again. (This one will work)

Kiwi Bandit.
You tuch down kind of fast. What landings gear are you useing? What broke? Gear or mount?

You need to add some expo you looked really touchy up there as you caf add just a little rudder in your turns will keep your wings more level.

Great flight keep going. Mike
Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 PM
kiwibandit

Howdy Mike. I didn't have any expo at all for the first flight. I wanted as much INSTANT control as I could get for that first take-off. The first 30 seconds or so I was fighting the sticks for trimming. It needed a bit of left aileron and lots of negative elevator so - yep - it looked a bit crazy there for a while. The electronic gear controller failed and I couldn't get the gear up. The result was 2 of the legs stayed locked and one was not. On the heavy landing it broke the trunnion. no biggie. I had already made a few spares. It is a weak point on ALL esm gear. They should use T6 alloy instead of cheese. Can't wait to get her up again.

ps: It was the expo in the other flight that caught me out. Should have done a missed approach and over-shoot to get the feel of the new settings.

Kiwi Bandit.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 AM
kiwibandit

Hi all. This Mitchell is getting some SERIOUS airtime. It has a total of 15 flights now in the space of a couple of weeks. I ended up adding another 200 grams up front as the tail was dragging a little in the turns. This has put my C.O.G right on the 95mm mark measured at the joint of the outer wing panel. I'm more than happy with the way it feels in the air. It responds well without being too sensitive but has plenty of elevator response for the flair at touch down. The engines are proving to be extremely reliable. No issues to date. Even for 30cc 4 strokes - the fuel burn is quite reasonable. The stock fuel tanks will give me a 10 minute flight and still have enough for a couple of missed approaches and go arounds.
The next level of development will be to kit it out with a functional bomb bay and get some ordinance racked up inside. I have the guns and hardware to complete the turret positions. Some better looking wheels may be on the list as well. Robart do a nice set but I feel they may be too heavy and cause the electronic gear controller to amp-out before the gear is fully away. It doesn't take too much extra load to make the gear stop mid cycle. This Sunday there is a rally on about an hours drive from my home. We hope to have a photo op of a great line-up of ESM warbirds - both on the ground and in the air. Hows this for starters - B-25 / Spitfire 89" / Zero / a pair of P-47's and a P-40. Our aim is to get some shots of the lot in the air in some sort of formation. Watch this space.

The Kiwi Bandit.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:57 PM
kiwibandit

Hi guys. The bomber is flying superbly and getting lots of air time. Minor little niggles like screws coming loose on the cowlings. Nothing serious. I have had to replace one of the ignition modules. It failed in flight shutting down one engine. The twin-sync i had fitted did it's job and prevented a yaw induced spin. I was able to re-apply enough power and rudder to get into position for a normal landing. I killed the other engine on finals to prevent any adverse yaw and landed with plenty of air speed to have good elevator control for the flair. It was almost an anti-climax. Nice to know that the safety systems all worked as they should. Hoping to get it all back together and more flying this weekend.

The Kiwi Bandit.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:50 AM
mikes68charger

Sounds cool. I'm useing the Byron 5.5in wheels for the Corsair. Looks great and light. I did add air brakes to them to help prevent any run in with a fence

I can't wait until the ground firms up here in Ohio we just had snow again yesterday
Old 04-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Bumsteer

I'm at the point where I can install the vertical stabilizers and was hoping this group of experienced builders might have a tip or two for getting them properly aligned.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:05 PM
mikes68charger

2 small frameing squares
Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 PM
Bumsteer

The two small framing squares will definitely insure the vertical stabilizers are perpendicular to the horizontal stabilizer. I'm more concerned with the alignment along the thrust line, front to back. I want make sure they are towed in or out. Hope that clarifies my request.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:07 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bumsteer-
I made small pencil lines on the top and bottom of the leading edge on the center line of each stab. Then I did the same thing on the trailing edge both top and bottom. After epoxying in place I measured to make sure the distance between the pencil lines on the two vertical stabs was equal both top and bottom on the front and rear. Hope that is clear.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:42 AM
Bumsteer

Tevans, your comments were clear, appreciated and reassuring. Reassuring because just one day earlier I did most of what you described.

To fill some of the void I attached some 1/4" material to the ends of the horizontal stabilizer. I tapered those until most, if not all of the material on the leading edge was gone. Along the way I would do a sight check comparing the engine nacelle with the vertical stabilizer. Once it passed the visual test I put a straight edge on the leading edge of the horizontal and as you described I measured from the center line of the fuse to the center of the vertical stabilizer. I checked the trailing edge to confirm the same measurement. At that point I applied the epoxy and used squares to make sure they were perpendicular (as Mike suggested). I think it's pretty close.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:18 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

LADIES and GENTS...

Just a public announcement....

Great news we have SIERRA RETRACTS/LANDING GEAR for the ESM B-25 95" WINGSPAN MODEL in production now!!!
Anticipating they will be ready to ship in 1 week ... Wheels with optional brakes also will be available soon in approx 2-3 weeks.

SIERRA ESM B-25 LANDING GEAR will be offered at $490 for the set. Does not include wheels/tires or air kit.

If you are interested in a set of gear and or wheels... Send us an email... Final pricing on wheels TBA
anticipating in the $120 range for custom machined wheels/hubs, brake hubs available for additional cost.

We are also offering the CENTURY JET MODEL Electric retracts with a variety of options.
FOR THE ESM B-25.. CENTURY JET has constructed the gear specifically for this model:

1/5 scale mechanism with 5/8" oleo main struts. The nose gear extend 105 degrees and the main gear extend 93 degrees for realistic appearance. Axles are installed 90 degrees to the strut.
These gear are designed to fit the ESM B-25 aircraft.
Century Jet has expanded its options to include air and electric retract systems. Please select from the choices below to complete your retract system. Select the Deluxe 4 Way Valve for realistic air operations which provide the modeller infinite speed adjustments. If you elected to use electric retracts, the door sequencers operates door open or door close modes in the gear door position.

CJM ESM B-25 tricycle landing gear set PNEUMATIC with Deluxe 4-way Valve: $515 with SUPER AIR SYSTEM (all airlines, super large air tank, deluxe 4-way valve)

CJM ESM B-25 tricycle landing gear set ELECTRIC with Deluxe controller $555
CJM ESM B-25 tricycle landing gear set ELECTRIC with Deluxe controller,with door sequencer $595
CJM ESM B-25 tricycle landing gear set ELECTRIC with Deluxe controller, with door sequencer and landing light $604

Please email me for quickest response to any questions about landing gear "retracts"... I do not frequent the forums as often as I am able to check emails readily...

-VQ WARBIRDS
[email protected]
www.vqwarbirds.com
Old 06-06-2015, 09:37 PM
nemesis4u

SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

INSTOCK NOW... AVAILABLE for immediate shipping and WORLDWIDE dispatch !

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/advanced_s...IERRA+ESM+B-25

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SRAB25ESMWHL.JPG
Views:	920
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	2100869   Click image for larger version

Name:	SRAB25GR b.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2100870  
Old 07-29-2015, 06:17 AM
jseese

hey everyone, have been flying my B-25 this summer and had a bit of a mishap. Bounced on the runway and was more than the right main gear could hold so it broke the mount which I am rebuilding however I am in need of the nacelle cover for thee right side which only comes with the nacelle that no one has in stock. Hoping I might luck out and maybe someone has one that I could buy before I try to fiberglass my own.

Also looking for a century jet electric nose gear assembly too
Old 10-17-2015, 07:59 PM
nemesis4u

CHECK IT OUT.... VERY MUCH NEED YOUR INPUT FOR NEXT COLOR SCHEME !!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin...cheme-now.html
Old 03-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Cactus463

Any chance I can get dimensions of front of fuselage as I need the nose cone for a TopFlite B-25
Old 03-24-2016, 09:51 AM
CaptHal
My Feedback: (10)

What dimensions ?
Length, width, etc?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:45 AM
mustfly
My Feedback: (21)

Does anyone know where i can get some parts B25 mitchell i have KMP i need the CENTER WING.WINGSPAN 96
Old 06-26-2016, 03:47 PM
F82FAN

vqwarbirds.com
Old 06-26-2016, 03:48 PM
F82FAN

PM NEMESIS4U See posts above ^^^^^

Originally Posted by mustfly
Does anyone know where i can get some parts B25 mitchell i have KMP i need the CENTER WING.WINGSPAN 96
Old 07-19-2016, 12:46 AM
Katniss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After having moved twice in the last two years, I finally have space to work on this plane. I'm considering converting this to an electric setup. Most likely a pair of e-flite 160's on 10s. Reading through the c.o.g recommendations, I'm probably going to target 95-100mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.