Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

throttling twins

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 PM
wvaborn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttling twins

Hi all: am new to the twin scene, so I have a (probably) basic question, if someone could help me please. How do you throttle two engines at the same time. Does it take a servo per engine, or is there a way to throttle up on one servo?
I know I'm missing something here, don't think this is a dumb question, or is it? Enlighten me please. I don't have a twin, but would like to know how they work, just in case You know, the bug bites. Thanks in advance
Norm(wvaborn)
Old 02-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: throttling twins

You can use a Y-Harness to each servo for each engine off of your throttle channel, orrrrrr one throttle servo for each engine on two different channels from your reciever, slaved to each other, orrrrrr you can set up some funny bellcranks (See the U-Control section) and rig up the throttles with one servo and a bunch of linkage. C'mon Man use your noodle...there you go.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am a belever in the KISS principle especially when you start using two and more engines. All my twins two quads and a six pack have simply used a servo for each and every engine and what could be termed a simple Y harness. Even the six engine airplane functions well on one throttle channel. I normally solder up my own harness for the individual airplane so there are no additional plug sets or excessive lengths of wire.

John
Old 02-07-2009, 12:29 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wvaborn

Hi all: am new to the twin scene, so I have a (probably) basic question, if someone could help me please. How do you throttle two engines at the same time. Does it take a servo per engine, or is there a way to throttle up on one servo?
I know I'm missing something here, don't think this is a dumb question, or is it? Enlighten me please. I don't have a twin, but would like to know how they work, just in case You know, the bug bites. Thanks in advance
Norm(wvaborn)
If you have a transmitter, like the JR X/XP9303, there are two throttle curves for a plane if you chose "twin engine" in the setup. This makes the two servo setup really nice as you can adjust, through the transmitter, each engine to match the other engine at all throttle settings.