Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ASM Lancaster?

SR,
    I am right there with you on the price thing. When they originally put info out on the kit I saw a price of $1150 for the Lancaster and a little more for the B-17. Tomas would most likely have no impact on changing the price. Have you looked at the Number of hobby shops that buy from them. There are over 400 and 81 od those just in CA. If just 1% of them order a b-17 then that would probably sell all of the B-17's that they brought into the country.The only thing that would drop the price is time.. If you have to have one you will pay for it . If you have time you may get a good price in about a year... Its just like Apple they come out with something new the first ones are always going to be at a premium...

Ty
    tysplanes.com
    food for thought:\'\'\'\'If the enemy is in range, so are you..\'\'\'\'\'\'Tracers work both ways.\'\'\'\'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A quote from the largest hobby shop in Florida. "We can barely afford to order even one model at the given price let alone stock them. We ordered one because we thought you or a couple of the other large scale guys would buy it since its new. We are shocked at the price difference just as you are".

How many LHS will stock a plane that will tie up that kind of capital? Not many. Its going to be up to the drop shippers like VQ and HP to push these birds.

I sent back my motors for a refund. Thank goodness I was on call last week and didn't get to start them up.

Its all good. I hope they sell a bunch of them. I can wait.

SR
    120\" ASM B-17G, WingSpan Models 1/9th Scale B-17G, TopFlite B-25 Mitchell, 95\" ESM B-25, TopFlite Cessna 182,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

speedracer2112,

WE do NOT drop ship the ASM line of airplanes.. we have 8 of them coming into TEXAS from the 1st shipment..
    Remember pricing is different country to country... KMP in CANADA has ESM airplanes and they are higher than here in the USA...
    the TF planes in OZ cost waaay more than they do here
    and so do the ESM airplanes.. waay more in OZ and Europe than here in the states.. I have customers all the time begging me to ship to them in OZ... I cannot...once we
    add in the price of shipping it is about the same ..and to ship to OZ you risk a LOT of damage and headaches plus import duties etc.,etc,, etc...
    sometimes its great to be living here for hobby prices..othertimes well...
    I am still going to inquire.. I for one would love pricing like in OZ.. and I'm sure OZ would love our pricing on ESm , TF and other brands too...
    So I will give my 10 cents worth to GLOBAL/HOBBY PEOPLE and see what happens....
    but not to be a tart... it is still a decent value at current pricing...
    a 10ft wingspan B-17 Kit costs $650 USD and doesn't include wood, hardware or anything...
    http://www.flyrcmodels.com/b17.htm
    those photos in the link above were taken at our home flying field www.bomberfieldusa.com
    .. and at these current prices our club still sees a value... but they all would really agree that less price would make it even more attractive!!!
    I know ..I know... hurry and get to glOBAl.... I know...
    so this is still a great value... is it the absolute best.. NO.... but it is still a value..

I'm off to bat for the home team now... so wish me luck.... I may get hit by a "bean ball"...
    but I'll try my best and see what GLOBAL has to say...

-TOMAS
    VQ WARBIRDS
    "KEEP 'EM FLYING"
    www.vqwarbirds.com
    info@vqwarbirds.com
    R/C WARBIRDS / RC TANKS ENTHUSIAST
    VQ WARBIRDS, KMP, & RCV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tomas, Thank You for your efforts. Your right not to be a pill with Global. You should leave that to the pros such as myself.

SR
    120\" ASM B-17G, WingSpan Models 1/9th Scale B-17G, TopFlite B-25 Mitchell, 95\" ESM B-25, TopFlite Cessna 182,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As I live in Australia and is faced with the difference in price between Australia and the states It was great to see a kit hit our LHS at a great price At the moment our Dollar is worth about 90 cents US . This helps a little to explain some of the price difference between our countries. Postage on kits from the US to Australia is between $50 to $100 on the average size kit. one problem is we have a max length of about 43 inches (I think this is the correct length) now that means that kits like Top Flite the old Royal Kits and some Goldberg for example cannot be sent by post unless the box is made shorter and re packed higher. so this kit can never be imported throgh Australian Post. The US price is well out of wack to what we are used to. When I make the decision on importing a kit the price of the kit is added to the postage of the kit to then make the deccision on if it is cost effective .I think if people see that it is not in line with the other models imported to the US they will never sell in the USA. What a disapointment to all. Some one in the states is trying to make a fortune on this line. Yours Paul PS As to damage to kits from the States I have around 20 Kits so far from the states and have never had any damage to any. A perfect service I have had one take 95 Days .
    .....bugger.... That went in quick... .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to second that sentiment... kits and ARFs are almost all too big to be sent to Australia by USPS. When you look at FedEx, UPS etc they usually want as much to ship it here as the kit itself costs, thus doubling the price. Plus then there's all the extra hassle of loss, damage etc en route and the difficulties for both buyer & seller. To make things even worse, there's only three wholesale importers of RC products in this country so there are brands we just don't see here (Balsa USA, Goldberg etc) and there's practically no builder's kits brought into the country as the importers have decided that no-one here wants them. Having the whole RC industry in Australia held ransom by 3 importers allows for a predatory pricing policy, so they generally charge as much as possible.

None of this explains why this ARF is so cheap in Australia. The only possibilities I can see is a: someone made a pretty big mistake somewhere and will be looking for a job real soon now, or b: The manufacturer's decided they'd never sell here at the US price plus the extra cash grab the Aussie importers put on it, and sent it here at a price it would sell at. Maybe they got a cheap deal on shipping coz we're closer to the Asian manufacturers than the US is? All I know is I can maybe afford it at the current Aust price, but if they wake up and change it to the normal price I can't so I'm seriously considering it now.
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sandmann_AU
    Have you seen the kit in Qld LHS I did see Col Taylor had them in one of the Airborne Mags I looked on line and there not there but I think your right a big boot up the a.......s or need a new job or both. I must say I feel real good about having one at the price I may never get the B17 if the price rises. Rojs in Melbourne had 2 more that I saw they may have had more. Yours Paul T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have a look at this NOT GOOD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62600.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	1502777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy80008.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	1502778  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

Have a look at this NOT GOOD
    At least its not yours.

Well, your going to see a lot of this. Your lucky. You have experience with twins. Most of the people who will buy these planes will have none. This will be the result. I found a YouTube of a Lancaster spiraling in to its death. You could here the remaining engines screaming at full power. He had crashed before he took off! The plane told him when it turned 90 degrees left that the left engines were going at a different speed than the right. He took off anyway? Go dead stick, drop the nose, glide to an off field landing. Minor damage vs total loss.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjyUKrEZ8k&feature=related[/youtube]

You have to have a plan. Then a back up plan. Then another back up plan and be able to rapidly choose and switch between plans. You need this for each quarter of the field. Money has it he lost a motor. (You friend above) The further out on the wing the greater the vector inducing the spin. You must have complete faith in your motors. You must be 100% sure each one will continue to run no matter what. I spent about 5 weeks breaking in my motors and testing my B-25. She was perfect when she crashed. I had read that a spin was not recoverable and in such when I yanked the elevator and she flipped over in a tip stall I simply watched her spin in. It was a $600 mistake. No motor was even out. LOL!! I bought another and read online everything I could on twins. Then I went to YouTube and watched every video I could find of B-25 crashes. Then I flew the Real Flight Sim with a custom B-25 and made it do every situation possible and then recovered from it. I dont fly my B-25 with a gyro or a Twinsync. I dont see the need. I did purchase a Quadsync for the B-17. Some good information and warnings can be found here. RCWarbirds.com

Bottom line.

Single engine plane with low loading and a dead stick. No problem. Just land!

Twin engine with an engine out. No plan. No experience. No way your landing.
    Twin engine with an engine out. Good plans for every situation and quadrant. Multiple landing sites. Good wing loading. 75% chance you will either land or have minor damage.

4 engine plane with a motor out. Well I dont have enough time to type that in but I can tell you that if you dont have over a month of dragging the plane to the field every weekend and running the motors and testing the systems waiting for failures then you will crash very soon. Take your time. Put gallons of very rich mixtured fuel through the motors. Let the vibrations take there toll. Let servos fail. Look for issues on the ground. Slowly tune out the motors using a tach and a temp probe but never let them run lean. Correct all the problems. Read and learn all you can. Watch the other folks fail on YouTube. Use a Simulator. Formulate flight plans. Then fly her.

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/476876/Us53325.jpg[/img][img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/476876/Tp46196.jpg[/img]

Off to work.

SR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Speedracer2112 I have little time too give any detail as its well past my bed time,but you were right one motor out after around 7 Minutes of flight time. went in on long grass not hard but with one wing lower than the other, plane was a total right off on his 5 flight. I saw the hole flight and it was upsetting to see it unfold . Some where I stated that I thought that the Fus was the week link in the model. I'm now convinced. Power was 4 x OS 46AX every thing was brand new.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Speedracer2112 I have little time too give any detail as its well past my bed time,but you were right one motor out after around 7 Minutes of flight time. went in on long grass not hard but with one wing lower than the other, plane was a total right off on his 5 flight. I saw the hole flight and it was upsetting to see it unfold . Some where I stated that I thought that the Fus was the week link in the model. I'm now convinced. Power was 4 x OS 46AX every thing was brand new.

I'm gonna need a play by play. Airspeed, attitude, pilot skill, motor break in time, equipment on board, all the good stuff. Any video? Close ups of the fusealage? Failure points?

Well they are cheap down there! Rebuild!!!

SR.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes it would take a play by play. Most four engines do not just spin in a one motor unless you in a climb out situation. I have had multiple multiengine planes. If you are flying straight a level and you have a motor out you may not even notice. But then again I have gone all electric for the reliablity of the motors...

Ty
    tysplanes.com
    food for thought:\'\'\'\'If the enemy is in range, so are you..\'\'\'\'\'\'Tracers work both ways.\'\'\'\'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok I got a look at the video on a computer and not my phone finally. The motors were running fine from the sound of it. He just came up on the throttle too fast this lead to the left turn. If you listen to the video he was flying in a pretty good wind. To my it looked like he just stalled it. he was still in a climb when it spun in. Balance may have had something ot do with it..

Ty
    tysplanes.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

Ok I got a look at the video on a computer and not my phone finally. The motors were running fine from the sound of it. He just came up on the throttle too fast this lead to the left turn. If you listen to the video he was flying in a pretty good wind. To my it looked like he just stalled it. he was still in a climb when it spun in. Balance may have had something ot do with it..

Ty
    If you click on the YouTube symbol on the link above it will take you to the actual Youtube clip with the comments. The owner stated he lost both left engines. That would definately do the trick!!

Im still in "Boycott Mode." Its a shame because it seems I'm the only person interested in the darn plane!!! (B-17) I cant even find a thread with some action so I have to follow this one and live through Quigley and his Lancaster. : ) I do hope someone buys the plane!!

SR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Speedracer2112 SR I best qualify one or two points 1 I started in this hobby in about 1958 with C/L as we all did, I had a go at RC in the early 60s I had a OS 6 chanal reed set when I left, I was never any good at the flying but we gave it a go. In 1965 I put all the gear away. In about 1995 I went out and aquired a TF mustang which I started and its still not finished. In 2006 I went out and stocked up with all the latest gear along with several ARFs now it took 3 years to get the nerve to hit the flying field,when I did I had over 60 models one of which is the TF B25 . I'm now flying but there is lots of room for improvrmrnt. Now I have a friend who has flown since the 60s also and he will do the flying on this one. There is no way I will try it Norm is the man for all projects. there are some decisions that have been made all ready. we are going with 2 recivers and battery packs one for the left side with the 2 outer engines the other the right side with the 2 iner motors. now if we have any problems with one you could still fly with whats left and get it back on the ground. Its being powered with 4 saito 65s , hitec radio gear and servos. I will fire up once there are one or two started and I can read there progress and take advice on any problems I may face. EG I looked at the book of instructions and the first step shows the setting up of the servos with blocks which are not in the box of bits. So I cut new ones only to fin out that they have boxes that the servos go in. I thought that they were for the bomb bay doors etc. now I been told that 5 1/2 inch wheels dont fitt in the wheel wells you need 5 inch ones. Its hard to find wheels that fit between the struts, the tyres rub. there the things so far and I not realy going yet on the build.
    Now I now that You need to know what about the Australian prang. well I'v not much that I can say ,it flew at the Shepparton Mamoth scale day last Saturday I was there and all can say is that it lost one engine lost height trying to return to the other end of the slrip. May be some one else may have more information.

Yours Paul T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It appeared to swerve to the left on takeoff. It appeared to spin to the left in flight. Any thoughts?
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi!
    IΒ΄m putting my Lanc together right now and so far it is pretty straight forward everything...
    IΒ΄m going electric for the first time since it is so much easier to get them to run together.
    A friend of mine has a B-17 that he flies electric and it just works..This is a video from this weekend,same scale as ASM:s B17/Lanc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-2gc...eature=related
    The kit is VERY complete with all the little gizmos I need and the fitting is gret,however,the fuselage is fragile,iΒ΄m trying hard handling it with care..
    My big problem is the retract mechanism`s,when I saw photos of the oneΒ΄s they sell together with the model it was a big no-no for me,I seem to recognize the chinese maker of these oneΒ΄s..
    So iΒ΄m looking for something else that could fit and I hav had no luck so far..Euorokit professional line is the only one so far that MIGHT fit..
    Any ideaΒ΄s anyone?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

we are going with 2 recivers and battery packs one for the left side with the 2 outer engines the other the right side with the 2 iner motors. now if we have any problems with one you could still fly with whats left and get it back on the ground. Its being powered with 4 saito 65s , hitec radio gear and servos. I will fire up once there are one or two started and I can read there progress and take advice on any problems I may face.

Seems complex......How about a nice Futaba 14? Truely bullet proof. You can program it to do anything you could ever dream up.

ORIGINAL: bokis

A friend of mine has a B-17 that he flies electric and it just works..This is a video from this weekend,same scale as ASM:s B17/Lanc
    Very nice. Keep the video comming. Did he use the stock gear? Serria will need to see some planes sold before they will start a production run I would imagine.....

SR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bokis,
    Is that the ASM B-17 or another kit? good vid..

Ty
    tysplanes.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ty,the video is another 1/10 scale B17,can`t remeber the manufacturor of the kit but it is a very nice aircraft ,same scale but built from a shortkit from Belair I think..
    That aircraft is why i make mine electric,it is really nice to see it in the air and it is troublefree...
    //Bokis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

Bokis,
    Is that the ASM B-17 or another kit? good vid..

Ty
    Good eye Ty. Darn! I thought that was this bird. Still Very Nice.

SR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was out looking for a new house and found a product that would be perfect for these planes. It is an orange fire and fuel proof polyester foam that weighs almost nothing. Its almost impossible to alter its shape when dry. Smash it and it springs back into shape. All that is needed is a way to apply the foam in a thin, even spray producing a 3/4" (2.0 cm) ring in the hull. I found a can that was full but was clogged up. It also needs a special gun to extract it that I need to find. This stuff would turn the flimsy ABS plastic into a tough shell with no increase in weight. I just need to make sure it won't damage the plastic first. Im off to Lowes and Home Depot to find out more after work tomorrow.

SR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

I'm off to bat for the home team now... so wish me luck.... I may get hit by a ''bean ball''...
    but I'll try my best and see what GLOBAL has to say...

-TOMAS

So........whats the news Tomas?

SR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bokis
    Any ideaΒ΄s anyone?

I checked out that video one more time. Holy Cow!! You on a race car track!! How did you get to do that?

SR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anything wrong with our airstrip? No,itΒ΄s a abandoned airforce airstrip that we use,roughly 7000 feet long..
    We hire one half of it and the other half is used on weekends for different kinds of racing..
    About the B-17, The owner is Ivve Hallberg and I was wrong of course,itΒ΄s this one: http://www.cdscaledesigns.com/
    Building pics for those of you that are interested are here: http://picasaweb.google.se/ivvesrc/ProjektB17#
    He is an amazing guy!
    Question: have anyone here seen the retract mechanism? Is it OK or shoul`d I go for something else?
    //Bokis

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast