Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

engine head direction

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
wvaborn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine head direction

Hello All:
When I get my twin, whatever it may be, I'll place my engines on their side, so as not to disturb the looks of my cowling. My question is, does it matter what direction I place the head of the engine. Both inboard, both outboard, or one in each direction. Does the orientation matter at all, and if it does, can someone explain to me why. Thanks for your input, don't have a twin yet, but may have one in the near future. Thanks
Norm
Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 PM
kram
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: engine head direction

Norm:

You will find many who argue that engines should be mounted inverted to least affect cowl cosmetics.

Although that's certainly the best way with most gas engines, I personally can't stand the amount of tweaking necessary to have reliably running inverted glow engines.

I mount all my glow twins sideways, so I applaud your thinking.

Exhaust routing then becomes the most important factor for choosing which side. I suppose you can get any kind of exhaust you want if you're willing to pay enough and tweak enough, but standard configuration for all the 2-strokes and 4-strokes I know means you should point both heads to the airplanes's right side to get the exhaust going down.

Most after-market Pitts-style mufflers favor this same orientation (see pictures of my Bissons)

The only possible drawback of this set-up is you need a short-barrel glow driver to fit the left engine on smaller planes. Most LHS's have them.

Good luck!

mt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27316.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1150584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98294.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1150585