Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
handyman_alw_
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE:

Jim,

Yep that will work. You know me i just wanted to get your ole heart pumping and see if you had any steam left under that collar,and besides if i left you alone you would feel left out and you know it.

Allen
Old 04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Mooney_driver

Since there seem to be a lot of Nosen Cessna 310 experts on here. Iwould like to ask for some help. Ihave a Nosen 310G that someone else built. After it was built the builder ripped out all aft formers. For that reason I nave never flown it. The bird has the original fixed landing gear and 2 Quadras. The cowls are too short to go over the Quadras so they have never been put on. It is quite heavy at something over 40 pounds.

Ihave asked on other forums about how to get in and replace the formers. Iunderstand that the formers were just made up of straight horizontal and vertical pieces otherwise Ihave no templates. It concerns me that the formers are gone but one reply came back that the formers serve no useful purpose other than to set the shape for the shell. Ifind that hard to believe for such a heavy bird and would not like to have it break in half on its first flight.

With that said, what is the easiest way to put formers back in after the bird is completely built?

Are those formers necessary or are they indeed excess baggage? The builder said he removed them to save weight. Icould not imagine that it would eliminate very much weight by leaving them out.

Any comments?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71847.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1425754  
Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

As far as I can tell, having just built the same plane from scratch, it wouldn't be necessary to put the formers back in. The strength of the fuselage is the sheeting, which is 3/16th to 1/4 inch balsa. If I were you, I'd check for thin spots (over-sanding) and maybe reinforce them with thin sheet balsa on the inside. If the plane was built from the kit, according to the instructions, the only formers I would be concerned about are F5 forward. It seems to me that the majority of the weight problem comes from the engines. The original plane was designed to fly on Supertigre 60's. In my opinion, that's not enough power. OS 91fx or OS 120fs or similar would be good. I'm using Saito 100's and expect to have more than sufficient power. Who knows, maybe at 40 pounds you need the Quadras!! I have templates for the formers if you insist, but getting them in around the stringers may prove to be more difficult than than building a new fuselage. Plus, there's no guarantee that the formers from my plans will accurately fit your fuselage. An easy solution would be to order a fiberglass replacement from G&L. That's where I got my cowls. They're relatively inexpensive and probably save a ton. Well, a few pounds anyway Don't know if I helped or just confused the issue. Make a decision you can live with, and "git er dun". Good luck!!
Steve
Old 04-26-2010, 06:37 PM
BillyJ

you dont need the cross formers if you dont want!! My fuse is built to planes with sheeting it is solid . I cut a big access p[lanel out the bottom of the fuse and put a servo tray in there which will also lock the unit up .. block up a bunch of foam around your engine sand to contour then glass them with z poxy !! watabing you will have cowls to fit perfect .. dont worry bout weight cause you are way over weight may need bigger motors .. I will put g26's on mind with ppg and retracts .. good luck dont forget cg
Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE:

OK gang we have another amoung us that loves this big beautiful bird

Welcome Mooney Driver you are "Nosen Cessna 310 Club" member # 42
Glad some of the guys chimed in on the fuselage former issue with their toughts.

Bill D.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:52 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing how those Quadras really don't look that big on the plane, isn't it? I am planning on powering mine with a pair of Saito 180 4 strokes, plenty of power I think. Smaller and probably lighter, but comperable power to a G38. Plus they will sound too cool!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 AM
DelRay

Warbirdmustang, I power mine with two Saito 1.20's, plenty of power with those and usually fly at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle anyway. Mine weighs about 35 pounds, and I can't imagine flying this bird with the original suggested motor size, even without retracts, etc.[X(] The 1.80's sound a little "overkill", but I guess it's better to have a little reserve power. You're right, they do sound way cool.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 AM
warbirdmustang

Default RE:

Maybe I need to rethink my power choice, there is a lot of difference between the 120 and 180!LOL! How have you been, Delray?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: Red Raider

As far as I can tell, having just built the same plane from scratch, it wouldn't be necessary to put the formers back in. The strength of the fuselage is the sheeting, which is 3/16th to 1/4 inch balsa.
Iwould not be so concerned except that this is a very heavy bird. Those 2 Quadras add a lot of weight.

If I were you, I'd check for thin spots (over-sanding) and maybe reinforce them with thin sheet balsa on the inside. If the plane was built from the kit, according to the instructions, the only formers I would be concerned about are F5 forward. It seems to me that the majority of the weight problem comes from the engines. The original plane was designed to fly on Supertigre 60's. In my opinion, that's not enough power.OS 91fx or OS 120fs or similar would be good.
When Ibought the Nosen 310 I did some reading of reviews after the fact and it seemed to be mostly unanamous that .60's were not enough muscle for the bird. That was why I went for the Quadras. If comparable electrics were not so expensive I would just go to those but Ialready have the Quadras.

I'm using Saito 100's and expect to have more than sufficient power. Who knows, maybe at 40 pounds you need the Quadras!! I have templates for the formers if you insist, but getting them in around the stringers may prove to be more difficult than than building a new fuselage.
I wondered about that. I was trying to figure out how Iwould get the formers back in there without doing more damage than good but felt that at least some of them are needed due to the weight of the thing. Bill sent me some former templates. Icould have sworn that my plans had called for making the formers from just cross pieces and vertical pieces of balsa but that was 30 years ago so was not positive Iremembered right!

An easy solution would be to order a fiberglass replacement from G&L. That's where I got my cowls.
I would love to order the G&L parts but money is tight and Ialready have this one so thought Iwould try to make the best of it.

Thank you for the help.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 AM
DelRay

Warbirdmustang, there's a lot of different options when it comes to powering the 310, I guess it depends on a lot of variables that help decide one's thoughts about this . I originally had two .90 four strokes on mine, and before I maidened it I changed them out for two 1.20 four strokes, which were O.S. on CH Ignition units, it flew great. I like the new Saitos even more.
I've been doing well, thank you, sorry we won't be making it down for the Derby, that's coming up here real soon, and it's fun to go down for a visit with the son and his family, they live just outside of Louisville. This will be his 15th year as the bugler for Churchill Downs. Ahh, for a mint julip or two, or three.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wondered about that. I was trying to figure out how I would get the formers back in there without doing more damage than good but felt that at least some of them are needed due to the weight of the thing. Bill sent me some former templates. I could have sworn that my plans had called for making the formers from just cross pieces and vertical pieces of balsa but that was 30 years ago so was not positive I remembered right!

The original formers were made from 4 pieces of 1/4" x 1" balsa, the former sheet I now have is an updated version showing one piece fuselage formers, shouldn't be a problem making them like the originals, just a few strokes of the pencil.

Just thinking, if you can get your hands into the rear of the fuselage, from the wing saddle area, would it be possible to just add a
couple bands of fiberglass tape expoxied in place to give you the strength & support you are looking to achieve, without having to rip the bottom off of the fuselage to install new formers?

Bill D.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Sweetchuck

Default RE:

Having to part with my 310 project. I have two G 23's with three blade props and tru-turn spinners 200 both NIB Robart retracts nose and main(350) and an uncovered Nosen 310 with cowls & no tips 300. Anyone interested would have to pick up or pay shipping. Please pass along if anyone is interested.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
warbirdmustang

Fellas,
Here is a guy wanting to sell his Nosen kit, sounds like to make ends meet. I tried to help him with realistic pricing( he had 10,000 make offer on it) sounds like a nice enough guy, if anyone is in the market for a 310 kit right now. I don't know this fella at all other than his ad.
Bryan

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=631308
Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Fly4Funn
My Feedback: (14)

I just picked up my G&L parts at Joe Nall yesterday and in talking with Greg, he mentioned that he thought someone had templates for the modified formers to fit his fuse. I have searched here and haven't come up with anything yet. I've got a complete kit that I could use to make them and also a airframe I bought years ago sight unseen which I may one day manage to piece together. If he was right, and someone indeed does have some former templates out here to fit the G&L fuse I would be grateful for a copy. I too have always been a fan of the Nosen stuff and own a trainer, several Mustangs, the big Citabria, the Mulligan with an OS radial on the nose, a Gere Sport and of course several of the 310 kits over the years. Lets keep them flying. Also if you want to add a SC pilot to the 310 club, I'd be glad to be a member!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 PM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE:

hi everyone. well got my new shop done and moved into it. now can get back on the 310. have my engines. sv26. also the retracts and reay to mount them. like some of the other guys going to use the gl glass fuslage. also the cocpit kit. going to do it as close to scale as i can.. panel lines and rivets. even thinking of getting another kit and put back for awhile.
wife says my new shop is now my home.. was looking for the bed the other day.. lol.
built a 18 x 24 shop and even have a porch on it.
will start putting some pictures of my build as i get along on it.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
warbirdmustang

Default RE:

Let's also see some pictures of the new shop!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Well sad news and good news.

A could have been member of the Nosen 310 club never got to build his kit before passing on.

His kit plus two 61 ASP engines are up for buy it now for $495 plus $30 shipping.

Warning it's a A&A kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUD-NOSEN-CESSNA...item4aa1b3b35f

I was excited when I saw this listing but reading that description made me sad. Unfulfilled dreams. Makes me want to get my new shop up and running and get the planes on my to-do list knocked out!

Mitch
Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 PM
thisoldman

Default RE:

just as soon as we get back home from vacation will post some pictures. Have almost everything in it including all my machinery.
i have the wings built and started the fuslage, but decided to use the glass one instead. beside having the 310 to get back on also doing p38 so have been busy.
will be back on around the 8th of july.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Mooney_driver

I was hoping or thinking that I could place the replacement formers into the back of the fuselage with a helpera rod with a pin in the end or clip holding the former with glue applied. Maybe a bad idea but seemed like it might work.

Iam still not seeing the posts from this forum show up in the list even though I am subscribed and even flag the "Notify me via e-mail when someone replies" box at the end of the posts Imake. Is there any headway by system admins to get that fixed?

Thank you.

ORIGINAL: Bill Diedrich
Just thinking, if you can get your hands into the rear of the fuselage, from the wing saddle area, would it be possible to just add a
couple bands of fiberglass tape expoxied in place to give you the strength & support you are looking to achieve, without having to rip the bottom off of the fuselage to install new formers?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Well sad news and good news.

A could have been member of the Nosen 310 club never got to build his kit before passing on.

His kit plus two 61 ASP engines are up for buy it now for $495 plus $30 shipping.

Warning it's a A&A kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUD-NOSEN-CESSNA...item4aa1b3b35f

I was excited when I saw this listing but reading that description made me sad. Unfulfilled dreams. Makes me want to get my new shop up and running and get the planes on my to-do list knocked out!

Mitch
I put in an offer on the A&A kit/with the 2 ASP 60's.If I get it I'll probabily sell the ASP engines and get some 4 stroke 120's..
Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
SteveD-RCU

Default RE:

Kit and ASP engines are on the way,got some decisions to make now.Do I get the G&L parts,gas or glow,retracts or fixed?.All depends on the funds I guess....
I think I'll get the G&L stuff,and the Robart retracts <I think I seen an ad from Omni...
Small gassers or 4stroke glow ...hmm still thinkin about that one,I have a OS 160 twin on the shelf,maybe pick up another used one or..hmm any thoughts on those new real small gassers that would fit?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
SteveD-RCU

Got my kit in today,everything looks good.Has anyone done a straight tail version?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79333.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1460507  
Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 PM
thisoldman

Default RE:

was in. tenn. today so i stopped bye g & l . ordered the fuslage for the 310 and also a p38 from him. will have in about two weeks. then can get back to the 310 and someother things i need to do. probably next year will get on the p38. Im building one now for a person that owns the local hobby shop. will be finished up this fall on it.
well i have the lading gear and the engines for it and most of the other things im going to need for it. as soon as i get it will make all the forms for it. going to put them in the computer so i will have them when someone needs them..
will be back in the shop next week. also going to add camera in the shop and do live pictures while working.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE:

Haven't checked in on this thread in quite awhile...Was wondering if you guys have picked up any ..

Cessna 310 groupies yet?

I posted about my buddies way back at the start of this thread..I am not sure it has flown since then ....
Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 PM
thisoldman

Default RE:

well got my fuselage from greg today. now to get back on it. putting 26cc gas engines in it. Has anyone done the fiberglass yet.. just wondered how many formers they put in it. from looking at it, looks like i may need 5 or 6 in it.. going to start on it as soon as my ply gets here.. will make copies of all the formers for anyone that might want them.
still have to get nose retract for it.. have the mains.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.