Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

Your fortunate, eariler this site would not let me post even one! Great pics and thanks for sharing. Let us see your progress as you put this together.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Clavin01
My Feedback: (193)

Default RE: RE:

They Look Great, That is the way to go , Me I did some more work on Mine.
Both wing Panels are seperated, Cut new Ply Ribs for the wing joints, have one side installed
just need to finish sand some minor fill and recover. Also installed a hardwood Block in outer wing panel
and will use a wing bolt from inside the nacelle to hold the wing together. Threaded the block.
Will post Pic soon with work so far. Both motors are ready installed new Carbs, Custom mufflers
and throttle linkage hook ups.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:29 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

I like it! That longer nose and racked windscreen look great.

Might have to build mine like that. It would saving me from wanting a 310R later.

You guys ever want to change some things on planes that you don't like but think twice because of all the negative "That's not scale, or you did that wrong" comments you'll get at the field?

Two other planes I have plans to build are the OV-10 Bronco and the Sky Fox.

On the Bronco it's those ugly plain engine cowls. I want something more aggressive looking.

On the Sky Fox what even the heck that "node" is sticking out of the vertical stabilizer has got to go . It's a huge eye sore for me, absolutely killing the lines of the plane.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52810.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1732140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76717.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1732141  
Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Thisstrangeengine

Negative comments at the field about my planes are usually met with someone lying on the ground begging for mercy!!![:@]
Just kidding... I never hear those sort of things since my flying makes up for it.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Warbirdguy

Ive always thought the brono would look awsome with radial engines on it hint hint.

Wonder how effective that jet's elevators are being that close to the level of the engines. I would think they would be in alot of turbulance in that location.

WBG
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
AmishWarlord

I just want better looking intakes. I like these. The pics are inverted to match the Bronco's engine.

On the Cessna 310 I's like to have better intakes like on a 310R.

Actually looking at a 310R the nose looks too long. I think that fiberglass fuselage has the best visual balance. Those intakes look a lot better that the flat faced slits that the G has.

Name:	Ki18764.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1732218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87790.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1732219  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 AM
AmishWarlord

Before building my Nosen 310 I need to print out pics of all the Cessna 310 Models and pic out what parts I like the best and make a 310 like the Johnny Cash song "One Piece At A Time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM
Old 02-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Thisstrangeengine

That's funny AW 'cause I was thinking that same thing earlier today. The nacelles from one, the side windows from another and so on, then name it a 310MW (My Way)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Clavin01

Hello All
Time to post an update. Moving along steady 1 wing almost finished see Pic 2nd wing in progress
New servos installed for Ailerons. Once I finish the wing then I will start on the Fuse. One before Photo
and then after the new Rib installed, Hardwood block for wing bolt.

Name:	Jh16747.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1733397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52689.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1733398  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I havent made much progress myself. Two steps forward one step back so to speak! Had to make new "W1" ribs since they were not the same size as the others. This pattern sheet is becoming my enemy so I am taking it slowly and checking the fit of every part I cut. I did manage to dry fit one wing panel together with all the pieces except the ply rib doublers. Had the tube sockets in and checking their alignment...Looks really nice. But then it was back to work and the rest of this month is gonna be pretty busy so I don't know how much time I will have to spend on this project in the next couple weeks. I need to spend some time getting my other aircraft ready for the flying season, wanna make twin engine stand so when I am ready to run the engines in.... Sorry for ramblin' on.....
Old 02-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Warbirdguy

You know, if I knew what airfoil they used, I could do a cad drawn wing plan that would be exact. No question of if it would be right size. But getting the correct airfoil is the key.

WBG
Old 02-29-2012, 04:08 PM
AmishWarlord

You could do a Carl Goldberg and just use your shoe.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Thisstrangeengine

WhatI think I'll do is trace all the parts that I feel fit well and make my own pattern sheet. Then if and when I decide to build another there will be no guess work and the build will go smoother. I have several patterns from other builds and I know they are correct.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 AM
AmishWarlord

Sounds good but the Gremlins will get into your plans and redraw the parts differently again.

You'll be like, "Damn it! I traced these parts from the parts that I used! Why are they the wrong size now"?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:58 AM
bps

I can feel your pain on the parts fit issue. I am digitizing the files for laser cutting and it is a huge task as many steps are involved. First draw the part and then compare it to the plans sheets, then make adjustments until the fit looks perfect. Once I am happy with that then print the part out full size and compare to the plans, more adjustments and check for fit once again. After all that the part can be cataloged for the parts sheet. Last step is to redraw the part allowing for the laser kerf. So I wind up with two files, one the on size drawing file and one the laser cut file. Last step is to cut the part and build from that, meaning more adjustments might be needed.

On the issue of the wing ribs. I caught that early on that the sizes on the parts sheets just did not match. The major area of concern for me is the placement of the spars and the way they line up. Choose either the vertical alignment or with the airfoil. This means that either the top of the spar will need to be sanded or the vertical alignment will be off meaning that any sheer webbing will not be in full contact with the vertical faces of the spars.

I really wish I could get my hands on a Nosen kit to have something to compare to. Just missed on Ebay a while ago. Perfect time to do this while I recover from a hip replacement.

Keep the pictures coming builders, this is inspiring to say the least!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I found out about the spars as well after my dry fitting. I'm using spruce spars and I was thinking about adding some thin balsa stock to the top of the spars to bring them up to level with the ribs and then sanding the excess off to the rib shape. I want full contact with the sheeting because I'm anal like that! Definately doing shear webs throughout the wing even if it's overkill. Small amount of weight gain but adds lots of strength! I'll probably start building the wing tomorrow after fitting the ply rib doublers. I just want to see some progress for all the work I've done up until now...
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Thisstrangeengine

Well here is what I got done today. I have all the parts fitting where they should and installed the wing tube sockets to check the alignment. Everything looks good so I'll glue it up tonight. Just thought I would include a photo of the progress.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM
bps

Default RE:

Look'n good!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Thisstrangeengine

Thanks, that top spar looks warped, but it's just sitting there for alignment purposes as is the short one in the rear. I eyeball the panel from both sides and back to front before I glue anything. I have to cut the sockets to length also, those are just slid in place. Still have to decide where I'm gonna run the servo wires and cut holes for that. I have some long drill bits for that so that'll be easy.
Another hurdle in my progress...I broke my bandsaw blade, so now I have to get another tomorrow. Luckily Sears is only 5 or so miles from me. I have a few other blades but the one I broke is my wider fine-tooth blade which gives me straighter cuts. Oh geez.[:@]
Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Clavin01

Looking Good Thisstrangeengine

Keep the updates coming. with Pictures of course.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:19 AM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

I got the beautiful box my friend!!! Thanks!!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 AM
Thisstrangeengine

Good Morning Everyone,
Just a quick update: I got the right center panel all glued up minus the sheeting, landing gear blocks and wing tube sockets.( leaving sockets loose until I finish the outer panels)
I started fitting the left panel together, cutting the notches for the spars and other parts in the ply rib doublers and have 3 of them glued and drying at this moment. Two more to go then I'll start glueing the left panel together. The reason I am doing the wing first rather than the fuselage is because of the fit to the wing saddle. The ribs from the pattern sheet I cut just dont fit the wing saddle on the fuse drawing, so when the wing is sheeted, I can custom cut the wind saddle (and nacelle sides which are also wrong) and fit them to the fuselage drawing and put everything in else in place.
I will upload more pictures when I have both center panels dry fit together with the dihedral braces in place. Once I'm happy with the joint I am going to add the shear webs to the front and rear spars. then go from there.
Thinking ahead of myself a bit, I might also be adding shear webs to the horizontal stabilizer just for added strength.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM
bps

Default RE:

Yes parts fit is an issue with the parts page. I have almost all of the wing ribs redrawn and have them checked against the fuse side view. Thats the bonus in using digital drawing tools. Once I have this finished then then I will be most happy to share them. Please keep the pics coming your doing a great job! I am looking forward to starting mine.

Can you tell me how many balsa sheets are needed for the wing ribs?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Thisstrangeengine

Default RE:

I got three of the larger ribs from one 3x36 inch sheet. I didnt count the rest but I know I laid them out to minimize my waste.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 AM
bps

Thanks. I am just about finished with the digital drawing of the ribs, so a sheet layout it on the horizon.

Here is a full size pdf of rib W1. I have aligned the spars so that sheer webs can be glued to both the front spars and rear spars. This means that the tops of the spars will need to be beveled in order to install the wing sheeting. Outer panels will not have sheer webs so those spars can be tilted to get away from having to bevel the tops of the spars for full sheeting contact.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xv65403.pdf (6.3 KB, 45 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.