Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 AM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RE:

I know what you mean about BN 310 vrs Easytiger or for that matter any new 310 that is on the market.

I love the styling of the 310 no matter who makes it. The topflite version is terrific as 1 of the guys in our club flys one.. It's no giant scale, but nice never the less.

My bud nosen was given to me over 10 yrs ago , 50% complete. I've collected every bit of info I could on her from magizines, pre internet chat boards., That why I think this forum and Al's documented build among others here is probably the best going yet . (worldwide)

I've done a little work to mine but need to dedicate some serious time into it. Now that i'm working FT again and president of our local flying club, my time is somewhat limited.. (http://www.whitehillseaglesrc.org/)

Dan
Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

Any opinions on the best kit cutter and prices for this bird?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: bps

Any opinions on the best kit cutter and prices for this bird?

Thanks
That's a "loaded question", have sent them to Lazer-Works in Wichita Falls, TX.
but he hasn't done anything with them as of yet as he usually waits until someone
has ordered one.

Bill D.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Bill Diedrich

Hey guys say a big "Hello" to warbirdguy from TN.
Nosen Cessna 310 Member # 46

Welcome to the club warbirdguy, please share with us any
comments you have on your 310 and ask any questions of those
of us that have built and have a fond love for the Nosen Cessna 310.

Bill D.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Warbirdguy

Default RE:

Ill gather up all my parts and get some pictures posted of it in the current state. Going to be a challange for sure. I dont have the original windows. But I think I can make some without much trouble. It also had fixed gear and Im on the fence about whether to stay with or refit with retracts. Also not sure about power. Gas is cheaper than glo fuel right now, but, twin 4 strokes would sound awsome. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for letting me in

WBG
Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Warbirdguy

Default RE:

You can go to my gallery and see what I plan on making my 310 to look like. I think its the first photo. U3B.

WBG

Ill post more pictures in the next few days
Old 02-15-2011, 01:58 AM
handyman_alw_
My Feedback: (14)

Warbird Guy,

Go to my gallery and you will see that i did mine in the same been flying it about four or five years now with two 2.4 foxes on it and it sounds sweet but then again nothing sounds like a twin.

Allen

Ooops, just looked at my gallery and noticed i did not have that plane in there but will post some latter.

Allen
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 AM
handyman_alw_

Ok now you can look i just added them.

Allen
Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Warbirdguy

Default RE:

I just love it when great minds think alike LOL. Nice looking bird Only thing different I plan on doing is Im going to do the different tip tanks. The large flat ones the military uses. Other than that, it will probably end up just like yours

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Gives me some more inspiration.

Jamie
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 AM
handyman_alw_

Yep , i know i already had them so just used what i had.

Allen
Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Allen, do ya think that other Nosen I have up overhead in the garage will ever looks as nice as your blue and white one? Maybe it'll be my next winter project. It's very rough but with a lot of T.L.C. I think I can save it. Ok, now I gave you the open door, go ahead and say it.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM
handyman_alw_

Ok, you asked for it. i know it is going to be a winter project but which winter and will i still be alive to see it when it's done. hows that , or do you want more?[:@]

Allen
Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 AM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE:

delray. you are going to need a mechanic on that plane. complete restoration.. hoping next week will back on mine again.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:33 PM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touche and OUCHIE, but I asked for it.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:22 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

All quiet here, anyone have any updates? I am very interested in hearing more about the use of gas powerplants in these planes. Would a pair of 30cc motors be about right?

Also interested in retracts. Suggestions on best gear, ones to stay away from......any input?

Thanks all. It looks like we are getting a bit closer to flying season.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 AM
handyman_alw_

I fly mine with a pair of 40cc and it flies well. I don't think you would want to go any lower than the 30cc,as for retracts i have three nosen 310's two have robart and the third is fixed gear and i guess i would go with the robarts one of the 310's is all most 20 years old and have very little problems if any with the robart gear.

Allen
Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Bill Diedrich

Default RE:

Heads Up "Incoming", we have another member joining us from Canada,
welcome
Nosen Cessna 310 Club #47 terry.mortimore. Ontario, Canada

Welcome aboard Terry looking forward to seeing your Nosen Cessna 310
come together, say hello to the guys and give us a run down on your plans
for the 310 you have in the works.

Bill D.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:37 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Anyone know the weight and wing loading of a fully sheeted, glassed, painted, with retracts Nosen 310 off hand?

Never mind I think I have it

2,200 sq" wing area
37.2 pounds
39oz sq' wing loading
31.2 mph stall speed
78.0 mph top speed

Mine is going to be electric so I need to know how much lithium gel I can pack into the engine nacelles.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 AM
terry.mortimore
My Feedback: (1)

Hi gang, thanks for the welcome.

My love affair with the 310 began years ago when I was a kid, my dad had a full scale 310 that he flew to all corners of this continent. I'll never be able to feed a full scale 310 these days, but hopefully my RC model will fill the itch. Needless to say I have my colour scheme all picked out.

I've followed this build thread for a long time, glad to now be a member.

I've had a A&A kit sitting in storage for years now and have picked up Robart retracts along the way. Another builder/flyer in town here has bought a partially finished 310 and he's the one that has rekindled the desire to finally build the plane (Thanks Steve, no good deed goes unpunished).

We both plan to use the G&L's fuselage and I'm pretty sure I'll build it with a one piece wing.

Bill has emailed me the reverse wing plan and that is what I will tackle first. I've looked around in a few places but I haven't found a double tapered carbon fibre laminate long enough for this size wing. The longest I've found so far is 72 inches. ACP composites say they will do custom work, just worried about what the price or minimum order would be. Any thoughts or leads?

One other thing that I've been wondering about (forgive me I have not unpacked the plans yet) is the use of wing tip wash out? Anybody building any washout into their wings?

I'll probably be using a pair of DLE engines, size yet to be determined. I'd like to get the plane light enough that a pair of 20cc engines would do the job, but we'll see.

Cheers, Terry.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Warbirdguy

Default RE:

Guys, do to my work load, Im going to sell my Bud Nosen 310. It has been finished and covered with monocote. It has been striped of the plastic and was going to glass the wood and paint. It was set up with fixed gear and was going to change that out also. Cowlings are not painted and in great shape. Wings were built with plug in option. Has the older bell crank system and was going to change that out also. Just too much work for me to do right now. So as much as I hate to sell it. Its up for sale. I have $200 in it and thats what I want out of it. I can ship in USA via greyhound. You pay actual shipping. I figure somewhere around $60 anywhere in USA. Probably will be less. If paying with paypal, add the 3% as usual. Thats what they charge me for using it.

Jamie
Old 03-18-2011, 04:53 PM
terry.mortimore

Servo Sizing.

Hi Gang: Is there a consensus on Servo sizes to use?

I have a pair of Hitec HS-125MG thin wing servos that I've mounted in the horizontal stab, one for each elevator. They are rated at 49 oz.in torque each for a total of 98 oz.in torque for the elevators. I'm hoping these will be adequate, but will re-work if required.

I'm interested to find out what I should use for the rudder and ailerons (one per aileron).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Terry.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:55 AM
handyman_alw_

the thing that you have to remember is that this airplane is a giant scale plane not a 60 size trainer and with that said as the size of the plane increases so must the servo's. I have three nosen 310's and none of them have anything under 106oz servos on each control surface , for a total of5, but the throttles which have standard servos. Also they all are metal gear double ball bearing. remember you are accountable for anything this airplane does if you under power the servos and it winds up in someones house 10 miles away you just bought the repairs because you wanted to save a few dollars, but worse than that what if it hits a another person at the flying field this 35 lb bullet will no doubt do major damage.With that said please stop and think before you put the small servo's in you are investing alot of your time and money in this project do not put it in pearle by going on the cheap side.

Allen[]
Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 AM
frankeldan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: terry.mortimore

Servo Sizing.

Hi Gang: Is there a consensus on Servo sizes to use?

I have a pair of Hitec HS-125MG thin wing servos that I've mounted in the horizontal stab, one for each elevator. They are rated at 49 oz.in torque each for a total of 98 oz.in torque for the elevators. I'm hoping these will be adequate, but will re-work if required.

I'm interested to find out what I should use for the rudder and ailerons (one per aileron).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, Terry.

Terry,

So.. The surfaces are a bit large for the low profile servos. Try the line of servos of HD servos. Troybuilt Models carries them. I bought aload of these last season and used them in everything from a 60 size bird on up thru my 50cc models. No failures at all and I'm hard on my planes.

HD-DS120M 178 oz-in at 6v Digital Servo with universal connector and Futaba arms 28.99

Also .. I would suggest a good digital servo for throttle that has better centering than the cheapies for repeatable throttle control.

Dan
Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

I can't blame people for servo confusion.

You look at these old designs and they all use standard servos on the plans "all they had"

On the old 60 size Top Flight P-40 they have one 48 oz servo in the center of the wing hooked up with bell cranks to the ailerons. I bet the aileron is only receiving 25oz of torque after all that play and slop in that kind of set up.

However things are better now. Go with the big stuff.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:39 AM
terry.mortimore

Servo sizing.

Thanks guys, I'll start shopping for servos.

To further my education, is there some math or perhaps charts that you can use to determine what is needed? Based on control surface area, expected model speed, control surface deflection?

Cheers, Terry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.