Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

"Nosen Cessna 310 Club"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Warbirdguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

Here is the link to that engine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270308202306...84.m1423.l2648

WBG
Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: RE:

I see that engine makes the most power around 7,500-8,500 rpm. Sounds like a big prop to me. Do you have the ground clearance for it?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 AM
AmishWarlord

I take that back. That engine is pretty weak on out put. Looks like about 12.5 pounds of thrust.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:44 PM
AmishWarlord

OK at home now on the real PC.

With that engine I get these numbers.

15x8 standard 3-blade prop at 8,500 RPM

13.7 pounds static thrust
64.3 MPH est. flying speed
1.73 kW / 2.3 HP

So combined you'd have 27.4 pounds of thrust
OK for a Monocoated 310 with fixed wire gear but I think those engines would be weak for a 37 pound glassed plane with retracts.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM
jsparky

hey there warbirdguy... go to hobbyking.com and checkout the RCG 30cc engines... you will also see that one on their site only it has the carb side mounted where the plate on the ebay one is.. for a bit more money you can get the rcg 30 ... I bought two of them for my 310 and have had them running... out of the box they turned 8k with a 18x8 xoar . that ebay one your looking at is a no name brand at hobby king... and cheaper
Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK Gang we have another of our new posters that had become a memeber of our club.

Let us all give a big welcome to:

# 54 Thisstrangeengine from Pennsylvania

You've already jumped in just keep it going, need any help just ask.

Bill D.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE:

well i"m about to get back on my 310.. Have been away for quite awhile do to sickness.. feeling better now.. I have a p38 from greg at G & L.. just finished the fiber glass on the wing and ready to assembly, so now i can start back on the 310.. Had the wing assembled and did not like it, so i built a new wing. have one sided cover and working on the wiring and install servos. still alot to do with it.. have the G & L glass fuselage. still alot of work to do on it, but if i can keep from have to see the dr's all the time i might be able to get things going here again.. Glad to see everyone on here.
al
Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: thisoldman

well i''m about to get back on my 310.. Have been away for quite awhile do to sickness.. feeling better now.. I have a p38 from greg at G & L.. just finished the fiber glass on the wing and ready to assembly, so now i can start back on the 310.. Had the wing assembled and did not like it, so i built a new wing. have one sided cover and working on the wiring and install servos. still alot to do with it.. have the G & L glass fuselage. still alot of work to do on it, but if i can keep from have to see the dr's all the time i might be able to get things going here again.. Glad to see everyone on here.
al

Glad your feeling better That P38 your doing, I got the plugs ready for Greg to pull the molds. The original design was Art Johnson's P38. Greg stretched the wing on it to make it a 100' plane The scale wing is 94 I believe. Or it might be 96. I have a set of the original Art Johnson plans. That was another I wanted to do but I was going to build my own wing and tail surfaces and use Gregs glass parts.

I sold alot of those 38's for Greg when he first started producing them. Then I got busy with other things and took a break from flying for a while. From what Ive been told by everyone that I sold one too, they fly great! Most use .91 fs engines.

WBG
Old 01-28-2012, 04:54 AM
Bill Diedrich

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

Here is the link to that engine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270308202306...84.m1423.l2648

WBG

Here is the engine I am opting to go with unless I go the electric route:
http://www.ibcinyourc.com/store.php?...028&pd=4500826

Should supply plenty of power for what will be needed for a plane this size.

Bill D.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Thisstrangeengine

ORIGINAL: Bill Diedrich

OK Gang we have another of our new posters that had become a memeber of our club.

Let us all give a big welcome to:

# 54 Thisstrangeengine from Pennsylvania

You've already jumped in just keep it going, need any help just ask.

Bill D.
Thank You Bill, Hope I didnt hijack the thread at all just excited about having the plans to finally get started on one of my favorite civilian twins of all time. I have wanted a Nosen 310 for a looooong time!
I think I have everything I need to keep me busy for a while with the exception of the aluminum wing tubes; So I guess I will ask where everyone is purchasing their wing tubes. I was looking at TNTlandinggears website but a bit confused as to which would work best.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Thisstrangeengine

Good morning everyone. I want to start this post by saying "The dumbest question is the one you never ask".
Now I have been building r/c planes for alot of years, but to date this is the largest I have tackled; so with that out of the way I have a couple questions.
The first is the wing spars. With a wing this large I would assume it calls for spruce spars, but neither the plans nor the instruction sheets say spruce or balsa. They merely state 1/4" spars.
This is why I assume they are spruce as the LE, TE and other areas say balsa on the plans.
My second question is the tail section. I'm a bit lost on the way things go together back here. The side sheeting and part of the crutch are cut to fit in the horizontal stabilizer, but what exactly holds the vertical fin in place?
If anyone can share a picture or two of this I would grateful.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 AM
AmishWarlord

I'm sure its spruce. I'm going to use balsa spars in mine though. Four ply laminate with carbon fiber strips.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Warbirdguy

I use popular wood. I get it from Lowe's here locally. Its in the wood section in the back. Wood for cabinet and furniture making. I get the 1/2 x 1 and rip it to what I need. I find it straight, lightweight, and is clean with no knots. Been using it for years and have no issues with it Its fairly cheap too.

Just my two cents and doesnt mean its the gospel.

WBG
Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Warbirdguy

I use popular wood. I get it from Lowe's here locally. Its in the wood section in the back. Wood for cabinet and furniture making. I get the 1/2 x 1 and rip it to what I need. I find it straight, lightweight, and is clean with no knots. Been using it for years and have no issues with it Its fairly cheap too.

Just my two cents and doesnt mean its the gospel.

WBG
Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Bill Diedrich

For the wing tube material I would go with the 1/2" aluminum with the phenolic sleeves as it will
fit a lot better than the tube supplied in the old kits, an up grade I will be doing.

The spar material in my "AA" kit looks to be cut from pine, but I will be changing it
out for either spruce or basswood, don't like the grain of pine, it is also heavier than
the spruce or basswood. Laminating balsa with carbon strips is a great way to get
maximum strength with minimum weight, ala control-line model type of spar construction.

Like Warbirdguy I have also used poplar,when you can find it straight grained it is very useful
in model building.

Bill D.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Warbirdguy

Thats definately a need to do upgrade on the wing plug in. The old way was way too sloppy and heavy. Ive gotten tubes from TnT. I think on my next one, Im just using 1 tube and two alignment pins. I think that will be heavy enough to handle it

Thanks again for the file Bill.

WBG
Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 AM
Bill Diedrich

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

Thats definately a need to do upgrade on the wing plug in. The old way was way too sloppy and heavy. Ive gotten tubes from TnT. I think on my next one, Im just using 1 tube and two alignment pins. I think that will be heavy enough to handle it

Thanks again for the file Bill.

WBG

I agree on the old tubes, very sloppy and heavy, my plans are to use a single tube up near the main wing spar
and a smaller tube which would extend two wing ribs each side of the outer wing panel seperation line. Also
seriously considering carbon fiber tubes also.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I think I am going to use spruce spars since I have plenty of them and I will use the balsa for another project.
Thank You for the replies.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Clavin01
My Feedback: (193)

Hello All
Don't want to jump the Gun. But I just came across a deal for a BN 310 with 2 gas motors on it.
I am supposed to pick it up this coming weekend. I know it will need some TLC
But I am excited about it. Once I get it Then I hope to become a member of the Club.
Will Post an update when I get it.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:15 AM
Bill Diedrich

ORIGINAL: Clavin01

Hello All
Don't want to jump the Gun. But I just came across a deal for a BN 310 with 2 gas motors on it.
I am supposed to pick it up this coming weekend. I know it will need some TLC
But I am excited about it. Once I get it Then I hope to become a member of the Club.
Will Post an update when I get it.
Way to go, jump on in, need a set of plans send me an e-mail, glad to help any way I can.

Bill D.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I think I am going to use a pair of FS 1.20s on this. I really don't plan on retracts and such and I will just use Monokote to cover, but I wonder if it will be overpowered with the 1.20s?
Thought about a pair of FS 91s and worried about UNDERpowering it. OH boy! Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-31-2012, 03:39 AM
handyman_alw_
My Feedback: (14)

Rob,

I'am flying one of mine on the 120's. they are not over powering but do have enough power to pull mine with retracts & brakes so if you can save some weight you will be fine. when i got it it had 3 blade props on it and it was marginal at best but switched to the 2 blade and have been fine since. this one is monocoated as well so agian i think you will be fine with that choice.[8D]

Allen
Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 AM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE:

any one have pictures of nose retract on G & L glass fuselage. Im still trying to get mine lined up . been off it so long forgot where i was at.

al
Old 01-31-2012, 06:10 AM
Thisstrangeengine

ORIGINAL: handyman_alw_

Rob,

I'am flying one of mine on the 120's. they are not over powering but do have enough power to pull mine with retracts & brakes so if you can save some weight you will be fine. when i got it it had 3 blade props on it and it was marginal at best but switched to the 2 blade and have been fine since. this one is monocoated as well so agian i think you will be fine with that choice.[8D]

Allen
Thank You Handyman, I would rather be safe than sorry...
Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using two Saito 1.20 four strokes on mine, Graupner three blade props, plenty of power to cruise at half throttle , with reserve power left. My 310 weighs right at 38 pounds, retracts, brakes, glassed and painted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.