Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

ASM DH88 Comet

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
havnfun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASM DH88 Comet

Would those of you who have assembled/flown the DH88 Comet from ASM sound off about the craft, the power used, and your trials and tribulations, as well as the elatations. How was the ARF? Tricks? I looked thru the "Twins" forum, and didn't see but one thread; maybe I missed them. There is a really great price on Hobby People right now, and I am going to Toledo on the 3rd of April; Hobby People will probably be at the show. (were there last year) Might be time to buy. Help! Help! Need some input, please. Thanks Jerry
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
airforce-one

Default RE: ASM DH88 Comet

Hi Jerry,

about 3 years ago I bougt this one:

[link=http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=A-ASM001&selectedtab=010&Category=010-040]Comet Ripmax[/link]

Think it is the same as the ASM one.
Nice plane in a good quality. Important is to stay as light as possible an keep speed by landing. You can put the ailerons 2mm upwards during landing.
Flew mine only two times, then my interest went to jet-models. But I keep the DH-88 because its a very nice plane and looks great during flight also.
It´s powered by two OS 40 VF with rear outlet and selfmade/modified silencers that there were no cuts in the cowlings.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49250.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1170660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41972.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1170661  
Old 04-02-2009, 07:05 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Check out this review from the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4182560/anchors_4182560/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4182560]ARF Forum[/link]. I read this before I bought mine and found Bob is very accurate in his discription of the kit and quality.

I put YS 63s in mine and it flew great. The low end throttle synchronization gave me a lot of trouble and it was a challenge to get it off the ground with the engines working against each other. It jumps up in less than 50 feet depending on how you manage the throttle so there is a need to keep the nose down or it will stall in a heartbeat. As a result mine needs some wing repairs before it is airworthy.

Great flying plane otherwise and as stated above it lands fast but is light.

Here is mine on video from early last year: [link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Comet-0524081-mp4]Comet Flight[/link]
Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 AM
havnfun

Peter-Thanks for your input, helped a lot. I decided against this craft; did not need the grief.
Jerry
Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 AM
havnfun

Tim
Thanks for your input. Because of the links, and the info they provided, I decided that I didn't need the grief. BTW, Hobby People were at Toledo, but the DH-88 wasn't.
Jerry