Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

GP Profile 38, first flight.. Pleasantly surprised

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

GP Profile 38, first flight.. Pleasantly surprised

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 PM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maiden on the GP P-38 Yesterday.

hey larry thank you for the picture info
Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 PM
tony0707

HI just rememberedi added two 2 oz header tanks -on the wing- on the CGto the inside of the two profile fuses- fuel draw was excellent with that set up- brought the fuel for each engine up to 6ozfrom 4ozs- as 4ozs is all you can fit on the front -and clear the props- but again you are adding a bit more weight -but on the CG so that effects the weight least of all-never got to fly the plane as i felt the flight time was to short with my 40 fps installed- as i explained earlier. the header idea -might help those running the 25 engines -to extend the flight times -and therefore the FUN- at this point i think i will be installing two GMS 32 engines in mine -they are light at 10.5 ozs each with the muffler-1.2 HP soon as the funds allow- the thought and time i have put into the LIGHNING-is just unreal- i had lost hope it would ever fly-but it will be flown in the future for sure- after this great forumthanks to all who had added to the info here i will try to balance the plane level instead of nose down -to try to get more glide on landingtry to slow the landing drop out -time will tell-TONY
Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy with my flight times using the .25's. The last 2 times I flew it it was a struggle to keep it in the air and was flying on a new field and wasn't sure where the smooth areas were.

Just keep the weight down, even at 5.5lb and 2, OS .25fp engines I would have thought it would go like stink.

Like I said before it's a struggle to keep it up.

Larry
Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 PM
tony0707

HI LARRY- not sure what goes like stink meansbut if power is marginal the plane will always be a struggle to flyi am thinking of extending my wing tips as much as is possible to increase the wing area some-2-3 inches on each side-just to give more glide-and lift-how much HP do the 25 FPS put out ?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
tony0707

HI at last my p-38 pictures[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86618.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1224016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17118.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1224017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87446.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1224018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh10881.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1224019  
Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 PM
tony0707

hi might paint my tanks black- and reistall my 2 oz header tanks- to put her in the air- i will post pictures of any mods in the future- when they happen-i did not choose scale markings as the plane is not scale enough for that treatment- in my opinion just my 2 cents
Old 06-24-2009, 08:09 PM
lbarnes

Not sure what the exact hp is, somewhere between .6 - .8hp.

If i was to do it over again I might have used Magnum .25xls..

I personaly think that the magnum engines out perform the OS engines.

maybe I'll convert them to diesel............

Extending the wings would be allot of work for maybe little return in performance.

It is what it is

Larry
Old 06-27-2009, 08:12 PM
ABORH

I have been following this thread for about 3 years. After about the same length of time I have finally flown mine! I built it as instructed but with 2 micro servos for the throttles so I could have better engine control.
I ran into a problem with vibration in the engines causing foaming of the fuel. I removed the spinners as suggested on this thread, and added heavier clunks. After considerable work I was able to make the engines run reliably. They are Magnum 28s. Props are APC 9x6 and I use a Dubro hub. Very nice engine once broken in. Patience is the key to getting them (or any other engine, in my opinion) to run well. I can fly about 7 minutes on a half tank of fuel.
I fly off of a grass field about 150 ft in length and it takes about the whole length to pick up enough speed to fly. Once air-born it picks up speed quickly. Mine is not a Quickie, but it is fast enough to be fun. I guess it is about as fast as my Twinstar with OS 40 LAs and has more air time. It sounds great in the air and planes of this type are rare at my field so it does draw attention. The plane flies where it is pointed. It is good at rolls loops and stall turns. I did not try spins.
Landing is relatively easy even though it lands fast. Altitude is easily controlled by using the throttle. I find it quite stabile even with a brisk breeze. I am not the greatest pilot but I had no problem making very nice landings. On the grass it slows quickly. The plane is great inexpensive twin fun!
Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 PM
lbarnes

Yeah, just about like mine.

Not a speed freak but fun to fly and the twins that syncro out are really a crowd getter.

I never had a issue with foam in the tanks. I mount mine with rubber bands and 1/4" foam under the tank.

Using power master fuel, 15%

Larry
Old 06-28-2009, 01:21 PM
tony0707

HI ABORH-AND IBARNES-are you getting a 7 minute flight on 1/2 the 4oz fuel tank with the 28 size engines ? if so that is real good- i keep hearing how stable this p-38 flyesand read that it will not tip stalli have been very surprised by this info as the wing -just seems small to me to carry the weight of the plane -fuel and two enginesbut it is what it is good news thanks for your info input this thread has given me new insperation to get my p-38 LIGHTNINGFORK TAIL DEVIL into the air in the near futurejust love the sound of the two engines in the sky -YES
Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 AM
cptcrusty1

Any posts yet on anyone blowing up these plans? I have one that isn't started yet and I thought of keeping the rib punch-outs for making templates, and making copies of the fuse parts. Utlimatley blowing the whole thing up by about 25% and putting a couple ST 45's on there.. any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
lbarnes

That would work, but then you just paid $99.00 for the plans and will have to scratch build the rest.

If you want a bigger one I would suggest you find the plans on Ebay and start from there.

Just my $.02 worth.

Larry
Old 07-10-2009, 11:45 AM
cptcrusty1

Oh, I'm going to build the current model.... but then I'll want a bigger one.... I got the plane off ebay too... I figure I'd keep the plans and be able to make another one when needed.. Also, the plane is discontinued on tower...
Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
lbarnes

Good, just keep it light. Follow the suggestions on this thread for modifications to landing gear, booms, tail section, leading edge and throttle modifications.

Good luck flying.

Larry Barnes
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 AM
djay

I managed to find a kit from a model shop last week and I am now starting my second P38 after retiring my first one from old age.
Hopefully this one will last as long as the previous one and give me as much joy.

Darryl
Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 AM
lbarnes

good luck. I hear that Tower is going to stop selling them.

What did you use for engines on your old one?

Larry
Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 AM
cptcrusty1

I hear that Tower is going to stop selling them.
They are listed as discontinued on Tower. Since Tower ownes Great Planes, I think we can bet that what ever is out there right now is all there is left. This is why I'm going to keep the plans and hopefully not mess them up to bad. Make copies, etc.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 PM
djay

Hi Larry.
I had to browse the internet to find this one as they are now discontinued.
I am using OS25AX engines with 3 blade props. The previous model flew very fast and stable with these.
Look at page 12 of this forum for my previous model.

Darryl