Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

GP Profile 38, first flight.. Pleasantly surprised

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

GP Profile 38, first flight.. Pleasantly surprised

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 06:29 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Profile 38, first flight.. Pleasantly surprised

Thanks for your info Bill,

You would'nt think that the small differance in the carbs would make that big a deal. The idle and high end are really close in matching rpm's but the mid range was what I was worried about. I'm going to try adjusting the length of the throttle linkage arm on the low rpm engine. I might be able to get more travel to make that engine throttle open further during mid range rpm.

I ordered 2 micro servos last night and will try it. My eclipse 7 transmitter will not let me adjust the "exp" of the throttle servos.

Then again, maybe I'll just fly it and try it.

Larry Barnes
www.spudgun.co
Old 05-17-2004, 12:21 PM
737-700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Profile 38, Second Flight Dissaster

Hi every one, I followed Villa´s advice and my Profile flew beautyfully, it was amaizing for me as was this my first kit, the plane did not need any aileron trim but required alot of elevator up trim( I think the ailerons were to high) Both engines runed close in RPM, it was really easy to land, the plane was really fast, I was runing 3 Blade Master Airscrews 8X6, O.S .25 FX at 13,500 RPM I did 3 loops and some rolls the plane handled really well, loosing some altitude in rolls.

After the first flight I checked structural integrity and every looked right, but I realized that fuel levels were on the edge, so I consirdered the second fligth to be shorter in time, I fired up the engines and took off, the airplane was perfectly trimed the flight ended after one of the engines quit after a left turn, due to my lack of experience the plane was impossible to control, I did not throttle back and the plane entered a deadly spin, after the crash I analized the fuel tanks the clunk on the left engine did not move freely from left to right and the fuel level was so low that when the plane banked left the the clunk did not picked any fuel after a 2 3 second period at full throttle I think that caused the dead engine, The flight time was 4:40 minutes.

I really encorage you to make short flights (3:30 range), to program your brain to be able to handle an engine out situation, and to fly 2 mistakes high.

I felt in love with the plane, have you ever build the same kit 2 times, I feel sad about my Profile, and Im considering building it again, any other sugestions on P38 Kits

Thanks in Advance
Old 05-17-2004, 12:45 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

i have been reading your post my is just like yours silver 3 blade all that is left to do is paint the cowl parts then over coming the fear to fly it all talk is it is easy to fly but a flame out is death i have seen many twins go in on a flame out your are right cut power and land rebuild or a new one is tuff a new could be better made a couple mistakes on mine frank
Old 05-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Villa

Rafael Castaneda. Sorry to hear you lost your plane. Que lastima. Lo siento. I had well over 50 flights on my GP P-38. Before every flight I went over the flight plan "ONE EGINE OUT ALL EGINES OUT". Never had a problem in that regard. When the booms broke in the air I assumed an engine out and put the other at idle and landed hard. Look up the thread under SPAD TWINS or maybe TWIN SPADS for VILLA and see the twin I built after I retired the P-38. It is the perfect frame for learning twin flying. In the air you can lap the field on one engine all day long. The plane in the photo made four succeful intentional one engine take offs (practicing one engine out flying) but crashed each time while trying to make the first turn. Never hurt the frame; just a few props and an engine mount. It does not have the great looks of the GP P-38, but it is a stallion none the less. Since the loss of an engine must be determined instantly, flying a conventual twin takes tremendouse concentration. I decided that I wanted to fly in a more relaxed manner, but still fly a twin. So I designed another plane, a pusher/puller twin. (Look up the Cessna Skymaster on the Internet) I flew it these last two weekends. On about the 15th flight it started to mush in the sky and I wondered if maybe I had lost an engine. The front egine was out. I made 4 more laps of the field and landed. I used a 9X6 pusher on the rear and a 9X6 puller on the front. In ten flights the plane just barely got off the ground. I changed the front to a 9X5 puller and it is now about the same as the P-38 was on takeoff. I later added winglets to the wing tips and I believe I got a further improvement. I should have photos in a few days. Estas interesado? Te puedo alludar formarlo.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:56 PM
lbarnes

Rafael,
I also am sorry you lost your plane. I have not flown mine yet but was able to get my engines runnning in sync at most speeds. I do intend to fly it this weekend (if weather permits).

I have programed my transmitter with throttle cut (and it does work at all speeds) just in case I experience the same thing you did. Since flying hand launch combat planes I am getting good a deadstick landings. Hope my first one with the P-38 is a good one if needed. I will also be flying very high during my test flights.

Good luck on your next adventure.

Larry Barnes
www.spudgun.co
Old 05-21-2004, 02:59 PM
737-700

Villa, I will be very interested in building a Twin SPAD I think it will be easier than building again the P-38 Kit, and I need something that can wind stand the rigors of twin training.

Do you have plans or how can I start to build the TWIN PANCHO VILLA SPAD?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-21-2004, 03:05 PM
737-700

Villa and Larry, thanks for your comments and Larry good luck with your maiden, watch out your flying time
Old 05-24-2004, 08:33 AM
A4HawkPilot
My Feedback: (3)

I got one of these P-38's for Christmas this year and built it in about a month. I entered it in a local model show at the mall and was voted by the public as best in show. I can't post pictures right now because I'm at work but I will have them in a day or so.

I used 2 new .25fx's. I had a problem with vibration for awhile but then found out my balancer was bad. I also had a problem with fuel foaming even with props balanced. I switched to different foam padding and that fixed it. As for flight I had a long take off run from grass. Had to hold full up elevator until airborne then accelerate in ground effect to climb. Not what I'd call a speed demon but a little faster then most sport airplanes. Aerobatics were very easy. Landing however was a pain. I balanced the airplane right on the CG and man did I have to fly this thing in on power. If I chopped the throttle it dropped like a rock even with suggested throws. First landing was ok but 2 and 3 I bent the nose gear back a little each time. I haven't flown it since then but I think I am going to add some more tail weight and up the elevator throws because right now its definitely not a floater!
Old 05-24-2004, 09:00 AM
iwannafly
My Feedback: (1)

Well I couldn't resist it any longer and started construction on one of these a couple of weeks ago. I am going to run seperate servos for the throttles and am working on the linkage at this time. I am wondering how this thing will respond when one engine flames out, which will eventually happen. I am setting it up with the os 25LA engines. I have been following this thread for a long time and am using some of the mods that were discussed. Hope this thing flys as good as it looks. Would like to see some info on flying characteristics.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:08 AM
n3cal
My Feedback: (2)

Did you see the videos I took of my Profile-38 in flight? Back on page 2 of this thread is the link to my videos. Just in case you missed it here is the link again:

http://www.paxaero.com/Forums/viewme...m=17&Topic=218

I've programmed in flaperons and added additional elevator throw which helps alot on grass takeoffs and landings!

Cal
Old 05-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Villa

To Rafael Castaneda. You can see my twin at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1610185. The wing is from the SPAD DOMINATOR in the ORIGINAL SPADS section of www.spadtothebone.com. I left the wing tips square and added to the ailerons to make them 1-1/2 inch in the chord direction. The 4MM COROPLAS material is used for the wing and tail surfaces. I purchased it from Harbor Sales at http://www.harborsales.net/index.cfm? The material comes as a sheet 4 feet by 8 feet. Have them cut it in 4 pieces 2 feet by 4 feet, with the flutes running in the 2 feet direction. I used yellow but they have all popular colors. There is enough material there to make three wings and probably enough tails for three planes. My price delivered to my home was about $10.00 USA money. They take credit cards so you should be OK. Let me know if that works for you. It is best if you read up on how to build the SPADS by studyin the DOMINATOR, the SPAD3D, and the SPAD3DT at spdtothebone.com. I can give you some more of the dimensions if you still want to go this way. Let me know Buena suerte.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Villa

Rafael Castaneda. I'm going to move my twin topic with you to the thread I started named Twin Spad.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:17 PM
A4HawkPilot

Sorry for the delay on the pics. This is my p-38. I noticed in most posts people refer to a twin servo throttle setup. Why? It runs just great the way it is and was not difficult at all to build it that way! Adding another servo with extensions and such just seems like a waste. Oh well, in any case it was nice to see some different covering schemes out there!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66764.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	138224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81129.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	138225  
Old 06-01-2004, 05:08 AM
n3cal
My Feedback: (2)

A4,

Your plane looks really good! Have you flown it yet?

Cal
Old 06-01-2004, 08:54 PM
lbarnes

Nice plane. From the looks of your front landing gear you have flown it. What engines did you use on the plane and what are the prop sizes?

Larry Barnes
Old 06-03-2004, 10:14 PM
A4HawkPilot

Post 158 of this thread should answer both of those questions![8D]
I used 8x6 three bladers...the nose gear isnt as bad as it looks. Wierd angle I think.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:37 AM
iwannafly

I'm in the middle of building this plane with a couple of OS 25LA engines. Wondering how the CG will work out. Will I have to add ballast?
Old 06-17-2004, 09:42 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

iwannafly,

I just did a review of this kit with two OS.25LA's:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=352

I had to add about 2oz to the tail to balance.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:07 AM
iwannafly

Great review! Excellent video. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:59 PM
JAkridge

I second that.. Great Review.....
It will help with mine, underconstruction now.
Thanks
Joe
Old 06-17-2004, 02:33 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike:

Enjoyed it.

I greatly appreciated your using the "Army Air Corps" song as the accompaniment. "We live in fame, or go down in flame." Glad to say I didn't see any flame.

Bill.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:17 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, it was hard as hell finding a version with the lyrics!

And thanks for the nice words all!
Old 06-18-2004, 08:10 AM
William Robison

Minn:

...it was hard as hell finding a version with the lyrics!
Still wasn't quite right - it said "U. S. Air Force" where it should have said "Army Air Corps."

But still, as I said, greatly appreciated.

Bill.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:32 AM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

But Bill, the Army doesn't have an Air Corps!!!
Old 06-18-2004, 08:59 AM
William Robison

Piggy!!!

Good to "See" you again!!!

In spite of your ignorance (Haw).

When the P-38 was in operational service there was no US Air Force. At that time the only two branches of the US military services were the Army and the Navy. The Marines were (and are) part of the Navy, the Coast Guard, which is still part of the Treasury Department, also becomes part of the Navy in time of war.

In 1948, three years after the Jap surrender, the US Air Force was established as a separate Branch.

All operational P-38 aircraft in US service were Army planes.

In the '40s many organizations were referred to as "Air Forces," the "8th Air Force" doing all the strategic bombing operations from England, for example, but they were all in the US Army.

Don't be a stranger, Pig.

Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.