Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

GP Profile 38, first flight.. Pleasantly surprised

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

GP Profile 38, first flight.. Pleasantly surprised

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 02:39 PM
JAkridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Profile 38, first flight.. Pleasantly surprised

iwannafly,
Did a few extra goodie's. Taking a little longer than expected...
I did get it completed all but CG and setting control throw's...... I took it out this morning to do a few tanks through the engine's.

Well that did'nt work.......... I got to the field.. fueled up the tanks.. got already. Then while hooking up the glow igniter..on the right engine... Dummy Dummy. It wont fit. Plug pointing rite at the pilot pod. SOoooo I made a run to the hobby store for a few plug remote's. Putting them on now.

***Buy the way how many guy's have wanted to put these damm tanks in the bottom of the pod. I sent some picture's to my nefeuw and he loved the plane. But just like every body did at the field this morning.. First words out of there mouths.... Nice Little Twin... But the tanks... they SUCK. And I aggree.

"I'm looking at option's", there's almost enough room, do some work on the nose gear linkage. And for sure there's room for 1ea 8 to 10 oz round one. But what about the length to the engine's, Flight performance. A few things to think about.......

Any other Idea's guy's...
Old 08-01-2004, 02:58 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Joe:

Unless you are willing to blow some bucks don't consider the remote tank. It wont work well at all without using either a pump on each engine, or a regulator for each engine (Iron Bay or Cline).

Note: whichever you pick each engine has to have one. You can not feed both engines from a single pump or regulator.

Let me add a little here. You can use a single tank and fly the plane using only muffler pressure. But when you start something other than level flight the engines will act up.

Bill.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:09 PM
JAkridge

Thanks Bill,
It's my first Twin so im learning.. Some time's the hard way.. Well... what about the 2 tanks in the bottom????. Will moving them to this area effect how it flys ?? And will they be just to far away ???

Thanks again for any suggestions.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:11 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get the tail off the ground. You may need to bend the landing gear rods backwards. My plane sits just great with or without fuel in the tanks. I also have 3" wheels that might make a differance. The larger wheels were to help it in grass fields.

I agree the tanks look funny and have thought of trying to paint them the same color as my plane. Dont know if fuel proof paint will stick to the plastic.

Larry Barnes
Old 08-01-2004, 03:57 PM
William Robison

Joe:

It's not a matter of one tank or two, the engines just wont draw fuel that far reliably, without assistance. My second twin, the C-3/10, has a single tank in the fuselage. I never hurt the plane, but I also never had reliable engine run until I put a pump on each engine.

Your 25s are large enough to work well with the pumps, but the regulators would be less obtrusive. More expensive too. Roughly twice the cost of the Perry pumps.

Bill.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:16 PM
JAkridge

Thanks Again Bill,
I know I'm going over board on a $100.00 kit twin profile, no sence in putting big $$ in it. And a first twin at that. This was such a fun little plane to build and as soon as I was almost done.. then came the tank installation's. Wow.. turned ugly quick..

Oh well, I'll let her fly as is....

What about....in the wing next to the booms.......Just kidding

thanks again for the help

Joe
Old 08-01-2004, 04:31 PM
William Robison

Joe:

Something I did when I finished the C-3/10 is something I'll not do again, too scary. I figured how much it cost. The engines, two Perry pumps, the EMS/Jomar sync system. a pair of special cut Tru-Turn spinners, four high torque BB servos and a pair of micros for the throttles, ball links on all control rods... Ended up close to $1800 for a "Cheap" twin.

Of course the engines alone in my latest Tigercat project are a lot more than that, but I studiously avoid running a total. Haw.

Bill.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Villa

iwannafly....My GP P-38 with Magnum 28 engines needed to land fairly hot. The elevator is not very responsive at low speeds, even with a little more than recommended throws. Did great snap rolls and knife edges. Then the booms let go in midair.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:39 AM
iwannafly
My Feedback: (1)

Villa........thanks for the info.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:37 AM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the booms let go during the snaproll or knife edge?

Larry Barnes
www.spudgun.com
Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Villa

Ibarnes....I do not know. I had been doing all of those maneuvers and noticed nothing different. Then I was doing a high speed left climbing turn (nothing drastic, I had done it at least 100 times) when the plane did an uncommanded snap roll. I assumed "ENGINE OUT", put the throttle to idle, and recoverd control going down and in the opposite direction but under my control. I hit the ground out of sight. The plane was on the wheels with no visible damage. A careful inspection showed at least one boom broken(I had covered the plane with COVERITE so there was no damage thru the covering), plus the wood under at least one engine mount broken. Since I may have hit the ground very hard, did the breakage occure in the air or on the ground. The uncommanded snap roll indicates the breakage occured in the air. Let me know how yours does.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:57 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

lost a post with pics????
Old 08-03-2004, 09:04 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

All you P-38 fans would slobber all over this one, and yes it's real! It's in Middlesboro KY, the one they dug out from 268' of ice in the Greenland Ice cap. It's been all over the Discovery Channel. We go down about once a year and visit this awsome machine. This plane was brand new and was being delivered when it along with a whole squadron of others veared off course and crash landed in the Greenland ice cap during WW2. It was imaccuatly restored and I'm told still dosen't have 100 hours on it since 1942. I was also told it was found with air still in one of the tires, it was pumped out and put back in when completed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98121.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	160373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19812.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	160374  
Old 08-03-2004, 09:17 PM
William Robison

And you will notice the engine cowling. This is a very early version without the scoops under the spinners.

Bill.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:01 PM
iwannafly

Did the first flight today. No real surprises. Extra long run on take off. Lands really hot like a nose heavy plane. I could only get really short flights due to fuel foaming. I hope extra padding on the tanks helps the foam. I would get about half a tank down and then would start getting air due to the foaming. All in all, not bad. No trim issues. I only flew about 3/4 throttle to extend the flight times. Seems fairly fast and responsive. Cut the power and it comes down like a rock. Glad to get past the first flight.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:22 AM
JAkridge

iwannafly,
I made it by the first flight this weekend. Flew it twice and both landings were as you described. On the second landing I used a little more power but still felt nose heavy. It felt as if I just ran out of elevator.
I wonder if any body has tryed flaperons / spoileron, "anything", to help with that dead filling of droping out of the sky.
I do have flaperons set up on my 8103 and can dial in flaps with the flap knob. I did'nt try it, still to shakey to take my hands off as is.

Sure like to here if anyone has cured or helped this problem...

The plane used all the runway and was solid in the air, and both little .25LA's sang a sweet song to my ear's...That was a good thing!!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:33 PM
iwannafly

I didn't get to try the flaperons either since I ran out of time. Last time I experienced this with a twin it turned out to be extremely nose heavy. I am dead on the suggested CG. I may have to add more ballast and go a little further back. This plane should not land (read arrive) like this.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:59 AM
n3cal
My Feedback: (2)

I've been flying my Profile-38 with flaperons. I mixed some up elevator in with it and use the dial on my transmitter to vary the amount of deflection (if you don't mix up elevator in with the flaperons the nose will never come up) It does help but you have to remember to keep the power up about 1/4 throttle and settle her in. I'm flying off a grass strip so I have the advantage of the grass slowing her down. Never tried flying off a hard runway yet? I've also tried spoilerons which gets the nose up but makes it drop too much....

I'm curious what the final weight of your Proifiles are? With OS25FX's mine came out at 5.5 lbs.... I finally broke down and bought a digital scale. That's about 2 lbs lighter than my OV-10 Bronco....

Cal
Old 08-10-2004, 03:56 PM
iwannafly

I would like to know if anyone has moved the CG back from the suggested 4 inch location. If so how much and did it help the landing characteristics any?I don't like the lack of flare on the landing. I feel like I'm going to wipe out the gear on these hot landings.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 PM
JAkridge

Put 3 more flights on today. I used the landing switch on my 8103 to get about 1/4" flaps and 3/16" up elevator. Landed way better..
Still fooling around with it. Mine is still a little tweeky on the airlerons..but I did add to the recommended settings by 1/8", plan to back them off.

How did other's set there throw's up ??

iwanafly..CG set per manual. The flaps and elev. mix on landing did help the drop on final. Not completely but better, still working on throttle set on landing mix also.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:07 PM
JAkridge

Default Next Step Twin Help !!!!

6 more flights this weekend. Cured all the drop on final with flaps and elev. mix, and the rite amount of throttle.
Very pleased with this first time twin. The .25LA's are running Puuurrrfect. Not a stunt plane by any means, and thats fine by me. It's not 3D plane, a few loops and victory rolls are all I need to do with it.

For such a cheap little twin to build everyone sure like's it at the field. ME TOO.

"A question's for the more experienced twin flyer's.!!!!..Would the VQ Model P-38 or the Hobby Hanger OV-10 (Giant Scale) be any harder to handle ???."

I really like the OV-10, but I would prefer a kit to build. Any suggestions on a step up warbird twin kit. I'm hooked
Thanks
Joe
Old 08-21-2004, 03:39 AM
djay

Default RE: Next Step Twin Help !!!!

I have been reading this forum with much interest and have ordered my P38, but none of you mention how it flies on a pair of 15's, or if the 25 fx is really better then the 25 la with its lower weight which will give a lower wing loading therefore will its performance really be any different to the fx's, especially at lower speeds.
You all seem to go for the highest power possible. What I need to know is, do I spend the extra on the fx or go for the lighter cheaper la's , I am not looking for a stunt plane just a decent flyer.
Just looking for your experiences not biased opinions on horsepower etc, as the plane is designed for small engines anyway.
Any feedback before I spend my money on the engines greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:41 PM
JAkridge

djay,
I would have to say the LA's are all it needs. I have flown mine with 3 Blade & 2 blade. The 2 blade's give more power and speed, 3 blades are what I've flown most with, again all thats needed, IMO.
I would'nt go down to 15's.
As you can read in past posts... It drop's fast with power loss on final, and if heavyer engine's were used it would just be worse.

Mine fly's as fast as I fill needed for a plane this size. turning around 11500 - 12500rpms.
IMO... Save the money and build lite.

I'm very happy with this little profile twin.[8D] And I have my eye on 3 other twin's...I just can't decided yet.. Mite just flip a coin.
Twice the engine's, Twice the problem's, Twice the work.... Twice the Fun..
Old 08-21-2004, 06:45 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

will this thing fly and how do you center the ailerons
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84220.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	166198  
Old 08-21-2004, 06:52 PM
JAkridge

frank99,
Very Nice..[sm=thumbup.gif].

I used a ruler on the "bottom of the wing keeping bottom of Ailerons with the flatest part of the wing".

Worked for me .

Good luck..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.