Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ASM F-7F Tigercat

Thanks for the info. I will try to post some pictures as I get into this assembly. I am at the point of wing assembly. I have looked at the manual many times and have found as you and others have found that it is more of a guide than a assembly manual. I will get it built anyway just a bit more of a challange to not mess up a critical part. I have 100 % decided to use the E-fllite 120 size electric retracts with the 102 degree nose retract. The Blue Nose P-51(Hanger 9) retracts won't be available until August at the earliest. The E-flite electrics won't have any shock absorbing action so I hope they can take it. I also bought the Hansen Hobbies servo connector kit so I can make-up my own servo leads. This is a great tool especially if you get the good crimp tool. It really makes it easy to make custom servo leads and "y" connectors. I need to buy the expensive stuff now(retracts, motors, reciever and speed controllers). DB
    Nothing Runs Like a Deere

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lebus

Just went and looked at those 120 sized retracts. Very nice looking. I would suggest Robart "Robo-struts." They are designed for attaching to the original strut stubs.

Would be nice if these could be adapted to clamp type struts. I would be looking for a set for my Staggerwing, as well as retrofitting to my F7F using the ASM struts.

Hope they come up with a rotating main set, also, for my P-40. Can't beat the price, even as compared to the Lados.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the E-flite mains are 5mm(.1968 = just over 3/16") and I beleive that the Robart struts come with a 3/16" adapter sleeve. If that split sleeve adapter can be drilled out they could work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome Lebus1,
    Its good to see another Tigercat fan coming on board. I came late to this Tigercat party and for awhile it appeared that interest in this ARF had fallen off and that I was going to be the last in RCU.
    I share your interest in finding a suitable substitute for expensive, finicky pneumatic retracts. My current retracts are the lower priced optional ESM Tigercat retracts that I modified to fit the ASM Tigercat but I haven't flown it yet.
    The $180.00 E-Flite 60-120 size electric retracts look like an attractive alternative but are they adequate for a war bird that weighs as much and lands as fast as the F7F? My F7F weighs 18.7 pounds with OS 1.20AX glow engines. Staggerflyer can tell you the weight of the electric. The ad at http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=13613 says the E-Flites are recommended for 8-15 lb (3630-6810g) models and they have skinny 4 mm struts. Am I looking at the wrong AD or is there a sturdier set of E-Flites that I'm not aware of?
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB
    http://www.nrcmc.org/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lebus1

Well the E-flite mains are 5mm(.1968 = just over 3/16'') and I beleive that the Robart struts come with a 3/16'' adapter sleeve. If that split sleeve adapter can be drilled out they could work.
    Yes, they can. I use them on my Black Horse P-40, which the new version has updated mechanical retracts with the 5mm struts. I did open the adaptors just slightly, and they fit great. They really work well, I get no bounce on the P-40, which weighs 9lbs 4oz AUW. Mine are the 3/8 size, up to 12 lbs per strut. I just checked the specs, the mid size Robo-struts are 7/16. They are rated for up to 15lbs, PER STRUT, so... The giant scale ones are 5/8 dia and use a clamp type adaptor. They will support 55 lbs.

The 7/16 units are presently $43.99 EACH, while the 5/8 ones are 64.99 EACH. They can both be cut to length. Expensive, yes, but they do save stress on the airframe on landing, especially if you fly from grass. The problem is going to be the nose gear strut, as it is rather unique.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

Welcome Lebus1,
    Its good to see another Tigercat fan coming on board. I came late to this Tigercat party and for awhile it appeared that interest in this ARF had fallen off and that I was going to be the last in RCU.
    I share your interest in finding a suitable substitute for expensive, finicky pneumatic retracts. My current retracts are the lower priced optional ESM Tigercat retracts that I modified to fit the ASM Tigercat but I haven't flown it yet.
    The $180.00 E-Flite 60-120 size electric retracts look like an attractive alternative but are they adequate for a war bird that weighs as much and lands as fast as the F7F? My F7F weighs 18.7 pounds with OS 1.20AX glow engines. Staggerflyer can tell you the weight of the electric. The ad at http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=13613 says the E-Flites are recommended for 8-15 lb (3630-6810g) models and they have skinny 4 mm struts. Am I looking at the wrong AD or is there a sturdier set of E-Flites that I'm not aware of?
    The Horizon site says the mains are 5mm, the nose is 4mm.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe my Tigercat is completed but I'm not sure. I thought it was finished a couple of days ago until my wife pointed out that it had no pilot or instrument panel so I had to go spend money for a pilot. Picture #1 shows the instrument panel and part of the pilot's head.

All of the retract doors are installed and functioning properly. The articulating nose gear door connector (pictures 2 and 3) works very well in that it allows the door to close snugly while the little springs inside the arms stretch slightly and permit the gear to lock properly in the up position. That same mechanism allows the nose gear to steer without rotating the door and twisting the door hinge.

Picture #4 shows the three short Futaba dual extensions that replaced the three longer Y-harnesses that were originally plugged into the receiver. They look less cluttered and two servos can be plugged into each connector.
    I asked my wife if it is completed yet and she said no. She thinks in needs one of those little dial type pressure gauges for the retract air system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63470.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	1605464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79417.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	1605465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af90345.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	1605466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sm28347.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	1605467  
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great Rocketman, wow your wife talks to you about your modelling?
    Go get that gauge before she changes her mind.
    Keep the updates coming and be sure to post when you get it down the field.

Cheers,

Brad
    Visit pilbaraaeromodellers.com
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great, Rocketman. Those new Futaba extensions really look nice! Might have to look into them, even tho' I have Spectrum/JR electronics.

I got to fly mine once more, last evening. Darn nose gear collapsed again. Going to have to look into what's going on. It locked immediately when I lifted the nose. Did twist a bit tho', will have to reset the steering position. I'm thinking I may just remove the gear door. The nose gear was the first to extend, then each main in turn. May have to open the bleed valve just slightly to allow a slightly faster extension, as that could cause the problem.

The flight went well, had a quartering crosswind at about 10-12mph, and that big rudder sure caught it. Take-off was straight but had to let the nose into the wind as soon as the mains left the ground. And it was enough that any manuevers I tried were all twisted. Landing was tough part. It didn't want to slow down at all. Took four attempts to get it down. Same thing happened with the Staggerwing on it's flight. Air was weird. Problem is our field layout. We have cross runways near on compass, with the pits in the southwest quadrant. The wind was directly northeast, so any and all approaches required carefull control to stay away from the pits, as well as a quick drop to landing to keep from being blown into the safety barriers. Getting slowed down was the hard part because turn to final had to be with the wind behind, instead of into, so speed had to be maintained. I got them both down, but used almost as much time landing/going around as I did on the flights themselves. My timer is set to 5 1/2 minutes, both planes required another 4 minutes to get down. (Timer restarts automatically.) Haven't tested the batteries from the Tigercat, yet, but the Stagger's were down to 25%. Not good on large aircraft.I don't like to run them below 35% so I keep emergency power in them. I could feel (see) the both planes sag on their last power up for go around. Both would have landed in the weeds had I not gone around.

Got some good pictures of her for the webmaster of our clubs site. He wants to put the Kitty on the front page.

Brad, saw you're taxi test post on the Spitty. Good luck on the maiden, once things are ironed out. After all the work done on that beauty, wouldn't want any major problems on first flight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good work Stagger,, man I'm not pick'n whats wrong with your nose gear. The first few flights of mine were the same where the nose wound not lock down but that ended up being low pressure due to the ASM supplied air hose being soft and leaking after stretching. BVM air hose fixed that! I still have a tiny leak some where,,,, I'll re-frase that,,,, I have a very big leak after the crash so I would fill, fly and get gear down after 7 or 8 minutes no worries. My nose door was always fitted,, I just made sure I was slowed down a good bit,,, gear down, then flap and all was good. I did drill my restrictors out on the nose though, but this still slows the gear down a touch. I used the Robart restrictors. Let that air do its job mate and then you can start adjusting to slow the actuation down a bit later.

Cheers,

Brad
    Visit pilbaraaeromodellers.com
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Staggerflyer and Brad330l, you both provide descriptive and interesting posts about your Tigercats. I was paying particular attention to the nose retract issue because my nose gear actuation is almost lethargic as compared to the main gear which snap up and down briskly even though they carry heavier wheels. I'm using the Robart air tubing and variable rate control valve and may have to experiment with its adjustments but I have yet to find a reason for the extreme difference in speed between the nose and main gear. When all the air is released from the system all three gear swing freely, there is no evidence of binding.

I don't like landing in strong cross winds either because the models go whizzing by when you think the wind should be slowing them down. They appear to tacking like a sail boat.

ORIGINAL: Brad330l
    ... wow your wife talks to you about your modelling?
    LOL, yes Brad, my wife does more than just talk to me about my modeling. I don't get any complaints from her about the money spent and she accompanies me to the hobby shop and finds the items on my list. She just complains about models taking up all the available space around the house. She is an active participant and was vice president, president and news letter editor of our club. Now she is only the news letter editor and general volunteer because she didn't want to run for president anymore. She goes to the field with me all the time and she does most of the driving. She is my pit crew and spotter and also wipes the plane at the end of the flying day. In the past she could take off, fly, do basic aerobatics and land trainer aircraft but now she says its too stressful and won't fly anymore. However, she can be coaxed, on rare occasion, to take my transmitter for a minute and fly my more advanced planes, no take offs or landings of course. At home she does the typical "women's work" like cooking, house cleaning, painting, wall papering, mowing the grass, raking leaves, washing her car, running the snow blower, etc. She really knows her place, doesn't she?
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brad, Thanks for the info. I'm using Robart hose one one side and the kit hose on the other. No looseness that I can find, yet. I am using one of the old Robart screw together quick couplers for the underwing tank, and I've found it loose a couple times. Planning on changing that one to the new style before next flight. When I finally extended the gear for fixing, after I made the last post, found one of the steering wires wound around the steering tab on the gear, and the rubber band used to keep them taught gone. That turned out to be why the nose wheel was "twisted." I have my steering servo in the front mount, so the springs can't be mounted like yours. Or was it silver.kiwi's? Anyway, I might try to see if I can get them up in the gear well. Even iff they pull the wires sideways, instead of up, it should do the trick to keep them from tangleing with the gear.

Rocketman, my wife helps out, too. Not to the extent yours does, but she enjoys going to the field, especially when there is something going on, and she helps with the cooking and serving. She also helps me set up/assemble/dissassemble the planes and other stuff. She helps out with building when I need an extra hand, etc. She tried flying way back when, after I had been flying for a few years, but she never could get the hang of it, and gave up. She doesn't complain about mine, either, except, like your's, when they are in the way, or when I need something at the same time she does, and we have to flip to see who gets theirs first. (She usually wins. ) But that last sentence... [X(] If I tried that, she would find out and ... [X(] She makes me do everything except the laundry to "pay my way! for my hobby(s)" (I know, yours was totally "tongue in cheek!! )

Anywhooo, here's the pics from the field.

Name:	us53591.jpg 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	1606257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xs58057.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	1606258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ej13841.jpg 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	1606259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vp39848.jpg 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	1606260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	te46810.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	1606261  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nd53500.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	1606262  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought the E-flite 60 - 120 electrics on Saturday so here we go. I had to order the 60 - 120 105 degree from the website as it wasn't in stock in the Plymouth store. I'll get these installed and hopefully get the Robart struts added later(more money). I am setting up throws on the servos for the wing now. I can see that I will need much larger servo horns to get enough throw to match the suggested travel in the book. Are you following the book specs on flap, aeileron, rudder and elevator? It seems like a lot of movement.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PS, great pictures Staggerflyer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Lebus

Yes, the throws are setup exactly as listed. No more was necessary. The full throw is almost never used, other than rudder for ground/taxi. In the air she's very smooth with the settings as listed. I have high percentage expo in, going to lower it to around 35%. At the 70% I have it at now, it takes a lot of stick before anything happens, and then it's suddenly, but still smooth. I'm also using all the hardware that came in the box.

Do NOT skimp on your servos, especially the elevator. Use high torque ones. The ailerons and flaps may be able to get away with 70+ oz/in ones, but I would still recommend at least 80. I'm using the Common Sense branded Hitek servos, CSRC-645MG high torque metal gear, 180 oz/in at 6.0v. (Using 2s lipo with voltage control.) They have good sales on them often. Sign up for their newslatter and daily special notices.

Going to be definitely interested in those retracts, to see how they work out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Staggerflyer and Brad330l, you both provide descriptive and interesting posts about your Tigercats. I was paying particular attention to the nose retract issue because my nose gear actuation is almost lethargic as compared to the main gear which snap up and down briskly even though they carry heavier wheels. I'm using the Robart air tubing and variable rate control valve and may have to experiment with its adjustments but I have yet to find a reason for the extreme difference in speed between the nose and main gear. When all the air is released from the system all three gear swing freely, there is no evidence of binding.

I don't like landing in strong cross winds either because the models go whizzing by when you think the wind should be slowing them down. They appear to tacking like a sail boat.
    Rocketman, My nose gear always extends first, followed by one main gear, then the other. Apparently none of them lock until all are extended. I think opening the bleed valve will allow a little snappier extension and more pressure to lock, as the other line will empty better, which could be all the problem, since they won't lock until full pressure/movement is completed. Another thing that would definitely help is a little petroleum jelly on the slider, as there is a very big airload there, and the metal to metal slide could easily bind, I'm thinking. It would also help in the pivot pins, as I'm noticing quite a bit of slop in the complete unit. Being an ex mecahnic, I know that dry metal to metal friction is not good, and wears FAST! It only takes a drop here and there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I posted a picture of the 60 - 120 size E-flite electric retract. It looks heavy enough but we will see.

Name:	Li21282.jpg 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	1606572  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I placed one of the mains in the nose gear position just to get an idea of how the nose retract will fit. It will take some dremel work but it will fit I think.

Name:	Sq45758.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	1606607  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope the strut can be rotated. I see the set screws, but is the strut keyed?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes they can be rotated. I have the smaller sets on my WM p-51. They are keyed I'll have to grind flat spots to keep them in possition. I hope that the 105 degrees is enough to get the nose wheel forward.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Tigercat was completed and taken out into the light of day yesterday but it was a windy day. It wound up being just a static photo shoot at the quaint and very old Plum Island Airport, an airport with an interesting history. The airport manager invites my club to conduct an RC model fly in at the airport's annual open house. The airport is closed to full size activities when the models are flying. The event is held in June.

Name:	Jh15728.jpg 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	1608287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lh18348.jpg 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	1608288  
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good, Rocketman. What is it's final weight? What is it powered by again? I'm sure you mentioned it before, but it's a couple pages back, and I forgot.

Plum Island airport, huh. I've heard of it, from my interest in Microsoft Flightsim. Someone on one of the forums made the Plum Island scenery. I haven't loaded it yet, but will have to check it out soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Staggerflyer
    ... What is it's final weight? What is it powered by again? I'm sure you mentioned it before, but it's a couple pages back, and I forgot.
    Staggerflyer, no problem, I'm always willing to answer questions rather than make someone rummage through old posts. The final weight is 18.7 pounds and it is powered by OS 1.20 AX two-stroke glow engines. Those two engines produce a surprising amount of thrust considering that only 3.5 inches of the 14 inch props extend past the diameter of the cowl (about 4 inches at the front of the cowl). They look small when viewed from the rear of the plane.

The engines ran OK out of the box but the idle was rich and the top end was in the mid 8000's so I leaned the idle and raised the top end to 9000 rpm. By the time I had used up a tank and a half of fuel running the plane back and forth on the taxiway and runway and lifting the wheels off the ground and letting settle back down, the idle speed had increased and the top end went to 9300 rpm without any adjustments. Next time out I will refine the needle valve adjustments and find out the max rpm that the engines will turn with the 14x9, 3-blade Master Airscrew props.

I don't tend to watch flight simulations posted on the Web but I was surprised to see that someone thought Plum Island was significant enough to make a simulation for. In it's history, Plum Island Airport has had some interesting personalities associated with it. Wikipedia has accounts from it's very early years, like, the original Plum Island had a wooden runway in the marsh.
    When I was there on Friday, there was a man spraying yellow paint on some airplane parts on the picnic tables in front of the hangar. I looked inside the hangar and saw a bunch of partially painted wings and asked him what he was working on. He said "a biplane". It was some bipe from the 1940's he had acquired from an old man who used to fly out over the ocean looking for enemy submarines during World War II. I didn't get many details because I was too wrapped up in getting my Tigercat ready.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Staggerflyer, no problem, I'm always willing to answer questions rather than make someone rummage through old posts. The final weight is 18.7 pounds and it is powered by OS 1.20 AX two-stroke glow engines. Those two engines produce a surprising amount of thrust considering that only 3.5 inches of the 14 inch props extend past the diameter of the cowl (about 4 inches at the front of the cowl). They look small when viewed from the rear of the plane.

When I was there on Friday, there was a man spraying yellow paint on some airplane parts on the picnic tables in front of the hangar. I looked inside the hangar and saw a bunch of partially painted wings and asked him what he was working on. He said ''a biplane''. It was some bipe from the 1940's he had acquired from an old man who used to fly out over the ocean looking for enemy submarines during World War II. I didn't get many details because I was too wrapped up in getting my Tigercat ready.
    Yes, thereis a surprising amount of thrust from 14" props with the big cowls.

I just finished cutting/trimming my 16" props to 15". Will be interesting to see how they perform. Balance came out very good, only minor sanding on each prop to finalize balance. Very cold and windy here this weekend and through early part of next week. We had some near record highs last week, this week we are going for near record cold. Heard on the radio that our Morrell Mushroom season is non-existant this year. Takes 3 dry days at 55+ to start the season, and three 80+ days to end it. We got the starter days last weekend, then the killer days during the week. While a lot of the hunters (mushroom) here remember short seasons before, none remember a non-existant season. Then it turned cold again and rained all this weekend, till just a few hours ago when the sun popped out for a few minutes. Wind is around 20, tho'. []

Strange that gentleman would just say "biplane" without at least saying the model. Usually you can't get a word in edgewise once they start talking about their planes. Wonder if it's an N3N, or a Stearman. The N3N was used a lot for that role.

Good luck on the maiden. How are those struts working? If they ever come out with the 90deg rotating ones in that size, I'll be getting a set for my P-40. The Lado's cost $230.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi guys, I was wandering if I will be able to install a 15cc gas engine on this plane. i would love to build one of these planes but I hate nitro engines. I would prefer gas.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast