Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ASM F-7F Tigercat

Thanks for the wing measurement, Brad.

Are people using A123 batts for ballast?
    I like the advantages of the A123 battery but there is one major disadvantage that I don't want to be bothered with. I'm leery of batteries like the A123 that you can't measure the remaining state of charge until it drops below usable levels. That may be alright for a DeWALT cordless drill where you let can it run down then simply pop in another one.
    I still use 4.8 volt Ni-Cd (no NiMH) in models where servo speed and torque are not important but I use Li-ion w/regulator in my 3D models where weight, servo speed and torque are important.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB
    http://www.nrcmc.org/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

About using a123 for Rx, you have different approaches:
    * charge before using and do nothing more (less than 15min on site with appropriate charger)
    * monitor pack usage with such a product (mama): http://www.slkelectronics.com/
    * use a s-bec and maintain the a123 pack at float level for backup (only with electric planes)
    About using a123 for main pack, you have several approaches:
    * charge before flying and maintain statistics to set the timer (not worse than thermic)
    * use telemetry (like Jeti duplex + MUI) to monitor usage an set an alarm when time to land
    More...
    For Rx, I use two pairs of a123 1100mAh, two 5A diodes, two switches and two cables to the Rx.
    If you need lead, you may use two pairs of 2300mAh...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for posting all of that but I should have mentioned in my previous post that I am very much aware of all the charging, monitoring usage, recharging, maintaining statistics, using telemetry, etc., ad infinitum.
    I use a 2600mAh Li-ion battery and can go out to fly on two successive days without recharging by just keep track of the voltage with a cheap expanded scale voltmeter. I never charge any batteries at the field, I do it at home.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes I like to charge at home the night before going flying. I get prepped the night before so all I need to do in the morning is load up and go. I do take my charges though as you just never know.
    With Cat # 2 the wing is complete now with the cowls fitted and just needing the cut outs for the exhausts. The glow system is in and mounted and this can be tested when the model is put together as there are components in the wing and the fuselage.
    We have got a tropical cyclone system bearing down on us at the moment so I have a lot of extra stuff in the shed so not much room to work. If we are not blown away to the scrub I will be able to get myself sorted in a couple of days and have it ready for flying next weekend. I must fly and certify before the trip down south. I have been sick, had a shut down at work and done some full sized flying with the skydivers so have 'wasted' a lot of time. Tick, tick, tick, must get ready.

Things to do:
    Mount RX batteries- easy, already have 'Y' lead
    Put on nose cone - easy, 10 minutes work
    Mount glow system battery, Hmmm this will be a CG balancing act so will be done last
    Do cockpit and canopy, easy enough, print out some picture of a F7f dash, glue pilot in (he gets a second chance even though he crashed the first Cat) attach canopy with dome head screws,
    Mount exhausts and trim cowl to fit. Maybe an hour.
    Put stickers on. Make sure they are straight.
    So not a lot to do really. Just need good weather and the shire council to mow the town oval.

Cheers,

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fc90408.gif 
Views:	2 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	1739316  
    Visit pilbaraaeromodellers.com
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got a good few things crossed off the 'to do' list today. Now I just have the cockpit and instrument panel to do (real basic), mount the canopy, put the stickers on,,, (dont laugh,,, my last effort was very poor. I dont know what I did but they didnt stick properly.)
    Last off is to balance of course. My Sonictronics glow system is a beaut. Easy to set up and adjust and works very well. I real nice glow of the plug until just under half throttle. All flying is done above this setting so it will only be in use during start up, taxi and initial throttle up and then on the down line of loops ETC. and then on finals for landing where a go around might have to be initiated. So cool. Twin guys,,, check it out. http://sonictronics.com/xcart/produc...cat=422&page=1 There are so many to chose from for different applications. I know,,,, you all know about these.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All balanced up now. 90mm with the on board glow batteries half way between the nose and the cockpit. I made a shelf that the batteries sit on with some 'holders' so it cant move around.
    All I have to do now is AGGGhhhhh,,,, the stickers!! then it will be off to the field for engine runs/tuning and test flight. Hopefully during the week but probably on the weekend when the grass is mowed. Man that grass grows fast after a good rain.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ramboman

For Rx, I use two pairs of a123 1100mAh, two 5A diodes, two switches and two cables to the Rx.
    If you need lead, you may use two pairs of 2300mAh...
    Yep, thats what I am starting to use in my Yellow Aircraft Spitfire, 2 x 2300mAh. Should be good.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Brad330l
    ... I dont know what I did but they didnt stick properly.
    My decals didn't stick very well either. They seem to be very thick and they curl away from the model's surface. I'm always pressing them back down with my fingers.

Your Sonictronics glow system sounds like it might be useful if you can't get your engines to idle reliably but at a cost of $86.76 it approaches the cost of the $99.95 Wike R/C Products TwinSync. Wouldn't the Twinsync be more of a life saver in the event of an engine quitting? Do I remember correctly that the demise of your first Tigercat was caused by a lean engine quitting?

I haven't had any idle or low speed problems with my OS 1.20AX engines but like many of those "AX" types, my engine-out occurred when I pulled the throttle back to the mid range and the engine went rich. A Sonictronics glow system might have kept my engine running if it had lit the glow plug in the upper mid range. For my OS 1.20AX engines to be reliable I have found that they need to be set lean without regard for break-in concerns.

I really, really hope that things go well when you get your new Tigercat to the field. Your enthusiasm is revealed in your posts.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

... I dont know what I did but they didnt stick properly.
    My decals didn't stick very well either. They seem to be very thick and they curl away from the model's surface. I'm always pressing them back down with my fingers.

Your Sonictronics glow system sounds like it might be useful if you can't get your engines to idle reliably but at a cost of $86.76 it approaches the cost of the $99.95 Wike R/C Products TwinSync. Wouldn't the Twinsync be more of a life saver in the event of an engine quitting? Do I remember correctly that the demise of your first Tigercat was caused by a lean engine quitting?

I haven't had any idle or low speed problems with my OS 1.20AX engines but like many of those ''AX'' types, my engine-out occurred when I pulled the throttle back to the mid range and the engine went rich. A Sonictronics glow system might have kept my engine running if it had lit the glow plug in the upper mid range. For my OS 1.20AX engines to be reliable I have found that they need to be set lean without regard for break-in concerns.

I really, really hope that things go well when you get your new Tigercat to the field. Your enthusiasm is revealed in your posts.
    Yes thanks mate, for your good wishes. I really do like this model and being able to take it to a fly-in has made it even more special.
    As far as the glow V's sync goes, I thought the glow would be an easier operating system with less set up and I was some what scared of the very long thread here at 'Twins' with people having trouble with their sync. As it appears the glow was the right option so far. Easy to install and set up and totally adjustable. As for reliable idle, they weren't bad, I tuned them pretty well and could leave them for a while and they would pick up well. I think now that my biggest problem was switching propellers and trying to get too many RPM out of them, plus the in cowl heat factor has to be considered as well. Oh well ,,, we'll see soon I hope. I am running out of time.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck with the new Tigercat Brad. I haven't had a chance to touch mine since my last post. Other things on my plate. Also the recent untimely death of a very close cousin has put things into perspective.

Regarding batteries, I was using a lipo with a UBEC until I was introduced to A123 2300 mAh batteries and now use them exclusively. My decals also did not stick so I made new ones using sign-writing vinyl. They stick like ...... you know the rest. The new Tiger will also sport new lettering to replace the shabby effort on the rear fuselage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: drob

Good luck with the new Tigercat Brad. I haven't had a chance to touch mine since my last post. Other things on my plate. Also the recent untimely death of a very close cousin has put things into perspective.

Regarding batteries, I was using a lipo with a UBEC until I was introduced to A123 2300 mAh batteries and now use them exclusively. My decals also did not stick so I made new ones using sign-writing vinyl. They stick like ...... you know the rest. The new Tiger will also sport new lettering to replace the shabby effort on the rear fuselage.
    Hey mate, sorry to hear of the relly. Never a nice thing. To put things in perspective,,,, fly all you can as we might not be here tomorrow.
    Yes I tested my A123's today in my Y/A Spitfire. Two fully charged 2300 mAh packs straight into the JR RX. No problems at all. Excellent.
    The Cat is just waiting for a test fly now. Our field grass has gone wild after recent rain so it miles too long to operate off. Waiting for the shire to mow it.

Waiting ,waiting,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want redundancy, avoid switch failure and current limitation due to the small cable, use two times two a123 (can be 1100mAh), two diodes, two switches and two plugs to the Rx. Nothing better if you don't forget to charge them ;-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ramboman

If you want redundancy, avoid switch failure and current limitation due to the small cable, use two times two a123 (can be 1100mAh), two diodes, two switches and two plugs to the Rx. Nothing better if you don't forget to charge them ;-)
    Where does the diode go mate? And where can one get them?

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well guys the Cat performed flawlessly at the Warbird fly-in and I had four great flights during the course of the day and ten in total with the rest of my models.
    It was the only twin flying and really made an impression and I actually won best landing of the day with my first landing. The conditions were far from ideal and we got rained out at about two in the afternoon but myself and a few friends waited around and flew again with the whole field to ourselves.
    The engines ran beautifully in sync after a quick tune and it was awesome not to have to attach a glow driver to get things going. I just wheeled it out, turned it on , primed and flicked and flew. So cool.
    Even in the blowy and gusty conditions the Tiger was easy to taxi and keep straight on take off run and landing roll out.
    I will post some pictures and a couple of links to vids a bit later as I am on a borrowed computer and account.

Cheers, and thanks for all the good wishes, I though of you guys during the day.

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congratulations, Brad. Glad to hear everything went well.

Hope to have mine back in the air, soon, now that flying season is returning here in Iowa. Need to check landing gear mounts for cracks, that's about it here.

Hope your's has many more successful flights before needing major surgery again.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well guys the Cat performed flawlessly at the Warbird fly-in and I had four great flights during the course of the day ...

It is good to hear that a new Tigercat is flying and that you're having a good time with it. It is not so good to know that this Tigercat is becoming extinct. []
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=YFL_Cd9iAZ0

Here is a bit of a vid containing the Cat.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where?
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

Where?
    Link works for me mate.

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might be providing a link from your logged in profile that may not work for a public viewer. I had to search for the set of characters after the '=' sign to find the video.
    Don\'\'t be divided from the truth by what you would like to believe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dangaras

You might be providing a link from your logged in profile that may not work for a public viewer. I had to search for the set of characters after the '=' sign to find the video.
    That worked for me, too.

Excellent flight, Brad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Found Brad's F7F flight at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFL_Cd9iAZ0 (Warbirds at KAMS 2012) using the tip provided by Dangaras.
    You're looking good, Brad. Enjoyed the video.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dangaras

Sorry mate I am on an ipad so am a bit out of control at the moment. Ill get some pics and vid up next week I hope.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well it's been a few months since I've added anything to this thread, but much has transpired. I finally completed the cat just before Christmas and took her to the field the following weekend. What a disaster. By the time I had her ready to maiden, the steering servo of all things went bad I had to change it out, a 8 - 10mph left to right cross breeze had come up. She rolled down the runway for the first time and just as she started to lift off, she banked hard to the right and turned unusually fast to the right. Now with a tail wind and not much airspeed, the control surfaces were non responsive and she mushed back into the ground. At first I believed the cross wind had lifted the left wing turnning her down wind and causing the whole episode. I just wanted to kick myself for not being patient. Below is the pictorial and the aftermath. I hurt her pretty good but didn't kill her. Tore the left nacell right off. busted up a bunch of the plastic on the left nacell and the fuselage & as you can imagine, did some pretty good damage to the left wing half where the nacell ripped away. The pics show her before I picked up the pieces.

Name:	Fc90282.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	1766939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj25863.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	1766940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ou49477.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	1766941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nh12472.jpg 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	1766942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz30536.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	1766943  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fast forward. I put her all back together. I can't emphisize how important it is to gather up ALL of the pieces of your wrecked plane and bring them back for analysis and piecing the puzzle back together. I remade many of the pieces of the structure in the damaged nacells and wing by using the reminents of the original. I used 0.75oz fiberglass to repair the cracked / broken plastic skin and it turned out really well and is very strong. Now here's the kicker, When I did my perliminary power run-ups the right motor kept shutting down with full throttle application. Hmmmm. I didn't notice that before the 1st maiden attempt and in fact I ran 2 complete battery packs through her before the 1st maiden varring the throttle from 1/2 to full and wiggiling the control surfaces just to make sure I could get a full flight. But now I'm getting the right motor cutting off to probably 1/2 power when advancing the throttle from say 1/2 or 3/4 to full but not every time. Now I'm thinking, I bet the right motor shut down just as she was lifting off during the ill fated maiden attempt. What the H3LL??? So I get out the lap top with the castle link set up and go through the ESC settings again. (I had set them both up at the same time before the first maiden). OMG, the right ESC has the current detection on the middle setting, (forgot what it's called), and the left side is set at 'insensative'. (what it should be). Somewhere along the line, I didn't save all of the settings. With ESCs all correct, full throttle for extended periods is now a non issue. So this morning the Kitty took to the skies. I mean you couldn't have driven a needle up my ***** with a sledge hammer when she went down the runway. But she lifted off nicely did what I told her to do. Needed a bunch of down elevator to fly level but once trimmed was pretty well behaved. I might move the CoG forward a little bit although, she didn't really exibit a tail heavy nature. So I'm pretty happy to finally get to pilot one of my all time favorite war bird models. Pics attached. Blue skies!

Name:	Zx71461.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	1766944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf14710.jpg 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	1766945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej14422.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	1766946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey70995.jpg 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	1766947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cn77579.jpg 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	1766948  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zq97104.jpg 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	1766949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ya57842.jpg 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	1766950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vu68874.jpg 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	1766951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv34528.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	458.1 KB 
ID:	1766952  

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast