Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ASM F-7F Tigercat

ORIGINAL: GeeBee-RCU

Have a New in box ASM Tigercat complete I need to sell,anyone interested?? Make me a reasonable offer.
    Steve Camp
    ixlnrc@aol.com
    816-254-2476

GeeBee-RCU
    No Steve you need to build it and fly it!!!!!!!
    Try the 'For Sale' section.

Lebus1, sorry mate no idea about e- retracts.
    Good luck guys and happy new year.

Brad
    Visit pilbaraaeromodellers.com
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Staggerflyer

Thanks Brad.

Iwas just going to use a washer, to experiment with. It would be removeable.

Happy New Year to all! May it bring better for all!

Don
    Happy New Year to all.
    Progress has been slow but sure on my Tcat but with the Holidays behind I'm hoping for light at the end of the tunnel. I have been especially held up by LEAKING retract nose gear cylinders. The first was handled very well by the vendor (Hobby People) but when I reported to them that the replacement they sent also was defective they balked and requiredme tosend the defective unit in for their "evaluation" before they would consider replacing another. My word and a photo weren't good enough. Hopefully their "evaluation" won't take too long.

On the subject of outside thrust, I did use washers to set 3 degrees of outside thrust on both engines. Call me paranoid but I want a little insurance to help with controlling an engine failure and I can't see this as hurting anything. The cowls are still lined up well enough to not distract from the apperance and the washers can be easily removed if need be. I've posted (I hope) a few photos of my progress so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	by76218.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	1540974  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kiwi, Happy New Year..

I like your workstand, there.  Good idea.

I got my horizontal and vertical tail glued on today, and mounted one retract in one of the nacelles.

I'm finding the instructions are not much more than a basic outline, and most of the pictures are useless. A beginner/low time builder would have a lot of problems with them.

I am going to be putting the large Robart air tank in in place of the small tank supplied. I like to have plenty of air for multiple cycles. I found on my Top Flight Staggerwing that doubling the tank volume more than triples the cycles available. Went from three to almost twelve cycles.

Another change I'm making, is raising the elevator servo instead of the rudder one. Makes a straighter shot for both control sets.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Don,

I couldn't agree more about the manual. It leaves much to the imagination of the builder and were it not for this thread and the photos Brad, Tony and others have posted hereI would be left scratchingmy head for answers. Brad's fix for the main gear doors is a good example. I advise you to throw away most of the hardware. I did use the supplied control valve, air tubing and teeswithout any problems. I was short changed on the amount of tubing, and necessary quick disconnects. Besure to check all theactuating cylinders for air leaksbefore installation. Be careful mounting a larger tank and the associated servo, fill valve and plumbing. There isn't much room laterally under the hatch because of the narrow fuselage. Also the routing for the nose gear air lines will need some thought if you do any extra cockpit detailing. These can interfere with the hatch closing. Just a few of the things the manual might have given some attention to. You will also find a few ABS parts that aren't mentioned in the manual at all. The full scale airplane has four air intakes in the wing leading edge. I think this is what two of these "extra" pieces are for but they don't fit the wing and there is only two not four. There are two other mystery pieces I haven't a clue about. I also found the finish quality of the fiberglass nacelles to be a bit sub-standard but maybe I just got themonday morning run.

Cheers,
    Sterling

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Sterling,

So right. Ilike Brad's fix. I have replaced most of the hardware, done the locktite on the retracts, etc. Iam replacing the supplied air control valve with the Robart, as it has built in bleeders to contron speed, in both directions. I use it in my Staggerwing, and like it very much. I checked fit of the big tank under the hatch, it fits well. Ialso bought a couple more disconnects so I can remove the nacells easily. And Ibought some moreairline.

Mine is going to be electric, so Iwon't have the constant vibration rattling everything loose, nor oil residue all over everything.

My cockpit detailing will be minimal, basically like done here, just glue on a photo. (I'm a flier, not a big detailer, lol.) I'll be using one of the "Extreme" pilots from Slimline.

Found those extra molded parts, also. Correct on the oil cooler intakes, there are only two, should be four. The other two pieces are some kind of vent area surfaces, but Idon't know where, yet.

Hope to get a little more done, today, than won't be able to work on it till next weekend, because my job keeps me full time during the week.

Happy New Year
    Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DON'T DO THIS !!!!!!!!!!!

Had a major setback today (see attached Photos). I tried to do a preliminary balance to see if I needed to place the battery all the way forward. In doing so, I allowed the plane to slip off the Great Planes CG Machine balancer (gear was up) and it hit the floor with so much force that the bottom spreader bar on the balancer nearly cut the fuselage in half. It went through the ABSlike a hot knife through butter. It also sprung the ABS fuselage splice (at the wing saddle trailing edge) loosebut fortunately didn't break any of theinternal formers or longerons. The lesson learnedwas to have an assistant at the tail to help with the job. This one is just too long for one guy to manage alone.

Sterling

Name:	fd91996.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1541532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bw73237.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	1541533  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh man[:'(] that sux big time!!!!!!!!
    I have learnt that yes this is a big bird and the wing is heavy with two of every thing in it. One thing I did when balancing was to have supports at either end of the fuselage and take and add pieces away as required for clearance but not so much that if the model fell it didnt go too far. Wish I had posted that earlier.[&o]
    One good thig kiwi is that it is ABS so with a bit of a roughening up and some Evergreen sheet (ABS sheet) the fix should not be too difficult. I knocked the tailplane on mine and heard a glue joint or stringer crack inside so I made two access panels and reglued through them and then put some square patches over the holes and job done. (still havnt painted them)

Keep up the good work men. I will fly mine next weekend. Happy the thread has been of use, it's been fun.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Talked me into it,she will be built!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, that sucks, kiwi.

Like Brad says, that's fixable. As long as the wood structure is ok, ABS is easily repairable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Unveiling was done today. With the repairs to the fuselage completed it was time to break-in the right engine. The left was cannibalized from another model and needs nothing. That went without a hitch so now I'll attempt to do the final weight and balance, rigging and sync. of the engines. Also have some cosmetic stuff to complete (dummy engine, etc.) and then it will be time for the maiden flight. There's no rush so don't know when that will happen but I'll report it here first. Maybe this weekend????????

Name:	rp42985.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	1542496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bx74176.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	1542497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch96322.jpg 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1542498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lf94023.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	1542499  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You did a nice job on the repairs, I can't see the damage.

What kind/color paint are you using? I hope to get to the LHS this weekend to pick up some of the stuff I ordered, and will be taking a small piece of the covering I removed from the tail center section for glueing. Since mine won't have to be fuel proof, I should be able to use plastic model paint.

Is that the John Wayne pilot figure from Slimline EXtreme pilots? If so, that's the one I am planning on getting, since he played in "Flying Leathernecks" it would be a good fit.

Where did you find the instrument panel?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You did a nice job on the repairs, I can't see the damage.

What kind/color paint are you using? I hope to get to the LHS this weekend to pick up some of the stuff I ordered, and will be taking a small piece of the covering I removed from the tail center section for glueing. Since mine won't have to be fuel proof, I should be able to use plastic model paint.

Is that the John Wayne pilot figure from Slimline EXtreme pilots? If so, that's the one I am planning on getting, since he played in "Flying Leathernecks" it would be a good fit.

Where did you find the instrument panel?
    Don - The paint is TopFlight LusterKote Insignia blue. Not an exact match, but pretty good.

I made the repair by carefully closing the crack and wicked in thin CA, then reinforced itfrom the inside with fiberglass tape and epoxy.After that I sanded the roughspots, applied a little automotive glazing compound and painted with the LusterKote. Believe me, youCAN see it but it isnot toobad, just frustrating.

The pilot is a Slimline but it has been discontinued. The Tower Hobbies # is SLIQ7020 if you want to get an upclose look. I wish they'd kept him.

The instrument panel was copied and printed from this site http://www.warbirdsite.com/museumpanels.html. It is not a F7F panel as I could not findany photos of onein all of the searches I made.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the panel in my KMP T-cat

Name:	Ec88326.jpg 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	1543169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nj25753.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	1543170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch96082.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1543171  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Capt,
    That's nice. Did it come in the kit, or did you make it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info, Kiwi.

You did a nice job fixing it. Hope the maiden goes well for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GeeBee-RCU

Talked me into it,she will be built!!
    Good man GB,,,, you will enjoy the build and the flying.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well guys, no maiden flight this weekend as I am still waiting for Hobby People to replace (or Not) the second leaking nose gear cylinder. I have used the time to re-rig the stocknose gear steering (as suggested by Tony) by adding a dedicated servo for the nose gear. This reallyimproves the steering authority and cleans upmuch of the slack in the steering cables that occurs when the gear is retracted. This also eliminates the need to crossthe rudder cables or the nose gear cables so that both rudder and nose gear turn in the same direction from stick input. I also added the two springs that were included in the kit (instructions madeno mention of what they were for or where to place them) totake up additional slack. See the attached photos for a betteridea of how to set this up for yourself. Try it you'll like it.

Name:	kf12092.jpg 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	1544470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uz69093.jpg 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	1544471  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Capt G

the panel in my KMP T-cat
    Wow Capt G I might just print that one out and stick it in my Cat!!

Nice work silver kiwi, we have been wondering what those springs were for. Just as a note, I am using a singe servo for steering and rudder and have not had a problem so far. I do however pull the slack of the retracted pull pull wires up with an elastic band near the front in the wheel well. Havn't had a tangle yet.[8D]
    Didn't get to fly mine today as I was the only one at the field and still need a bit of help to get it all ready and going so I flew my Alfa Spitty instead.

Cheers guys,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ihave been wondering what the servo mount in the front of the wing opening is for. Is it supposed to be for the steering servo?

I also noticed that the instructions do not show the rudder being hooked up. Only the horn being installed, the pull-pull wires dropped into the fuse with a note that they will be installed later. They never are.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ihave been wondering what the servo mount in the front of the wing opening is for. Is it supposed to be for the steering servo?

I also noticed that the instructions do not show the rudder being hooked up. Only the horn being installed, the pull-pull wires dropped into the fuse with a note that they will be installed later. They never are.
    I don't know what that factory installed servomount is meant for. I suppose it could be used for nose wheel steering but this puts the servo output shaftoff center. I installedmine so that the servo alignes with the center lineand faces oppositeto the rudder servo so that they both move in the correct direction when plugged into a "Y" cord. The instructions also make no mention of the fact that the rudder cables must be crossed so that thenose steering cables can run straight forward to the nose strut. This insures that when you apply "right" rudder the nose wheel also turns to the right and not to the left. I didn't like that arraignment because crossing the rudder cables looked as though that would also foul with the elevator push rod.Using the third servo solves allof these problems.Brad how did you work around this???? By the way, I think I have thrown in the towel on the nose wheel door. Nothing I've tried so far has been satisfactory and I think I'll just go withoutit.

Sterling

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I should have mine in a week or so. I bought the airframe and struts/wheels. I'm going all electric on mine motors and retracts. Has anyone weighed the airframe without motors and landing gear? I'm trying to estimate my AUW to work out what motors, props and lipos to use.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would think you want retracts included in the weight, as they are a part of the airframe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I performed the weight and balance onmine today and it came in weighing 18.5 lbs. before any additional balast is addedto keep it balanced properly. It appears that it will take an additional 1 lb. as far forward as possible to keep it in the safe range making the total empty weight 19.5 lbs.

I would like to knowif anyone else(Bad or Tony) required additionalbalast tokeep the C.G. within limits???If so, how much and where did you locate it?

Sterling

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hiya Sterling, guys, as far as the rudder servo goes I used a servo arm the same width as the tiller on the rudder and it is wide enough to clear the shortened elevator servo arm I installed. The rudder servo also steers the nose with authority and has no problems. On high rates for taxiing the pull wire will rub a bit on the elevator arm but with low flying rates it is fine.

As for CoG I did have to add weight (206g) to the internal nose structure where my 6 volt RX battery is as well. I started flight testing with the forward most CoG set (80mm) and have since removed two lots of lead weight (54g to be just behind 85mm and then 25g) to get it back. I dont know the exact measurement now but should check as I want to remove more weight.

Cheers,

Brad

Name:	Zx71694.jpg 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	1545649  
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Staggerwing I'll add in the weight of the electric retracts to give me a more accurate AUW. Remember that I don't intend to use the air system.

Mike

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast