Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Stafford B-24 Engine Question.....

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Stafford B-24 Engine Question.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 02:17 AM
Marc_Haase
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stafford B-24 Engine Question.....

Hello All:
Been reading the posts in here and am glad to see a few members with Stafford B-24's in progress, flying or retired/sold. I have a kit as well, started building then got sidetracked (and a little nervous truth be told) so I shelved it till now. Got bit by the bug and figure its time to get this kit built. As first order of business, I have to settle on the engines. Since its a scale of 4, big decision to make. Seems like the popular choice is the OS 26 4-stroke, or better yet the OS 30 FS 4-stroke. So here's my questions:

1. Anyone consider 2-stroke? Seems like lot more power for the same size engines, (I.E. 26 4 -stroke vs. 25 2-stroke)....
2. And what about sound of all 2-strokes running at same time? Is the sound gonna "suck"?
3. Can I get scale flights with 2-strokes?
4. Did anyone hook all that linkage up for the engines? I was thinking mini servos on each engine and work it out with wiring instead of bending hard wire.

Any thoughts would be appreciated....

Retracts......mine didn't come with the Goldberg retracts, so I think I got a set of Century Jet Retracts on the hook..gotta settle on price now. I am sure I will have a few questions on the retracts....this will be first kit with them in, so looking forward to that experience.

Anyways, thanks for reading, hope to hear from those with experience on this kit. Thanks in advance.

Also.....those of you who have finished the kit and have pictures...I would really appreciate a good look at them...email me if you're OK with that.
Thanks

Marc
Old 07-15-2003, 05:39 AM
Uncle Heinkel

Hi Marc...Hurry up and finish your B-24. It's a great flyer and looks great in the air!

2 strokes are fine if you don't want to spend the extra money for 4 stroke engines. You can't beat the sound of four strokes, though. I'm using OS 26 four strokes. It flies just fine with them although I would use the new 30's if I built another one because we have a rough grass field here and the Lib is pretty low slung.
If the grass hasn't been cut, it tends to slow it down.

I'm using B&D air retracts. They're inexpensive and work great. They don't look as scale as Robart but don't cost as much. You can dress them up with strut covers.

I used the bellcranks as per the plans for the throttles. One servo controls them all. So far, no problem. I thought about mini servos too late and had nowhere to put them.

It really is easy to fly if you have a few kits(not trainers) under your belt. Mine has about 30 flights on it now.

I'll send you a couple of pics. Look for B-24 in the subject.

H.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:51 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Uncle:

DO NOT send the pictures to Marc, post them here where we all can enjoy them.

Regards the B&D retracts - I've used several, both mechanical and pneumatic. highly recommended.

CJM: Beautiful. And you get large nostrils from payng through the nose. From what I've heard their service leaves a lot to be desired, but it's true that they seldom need service.

Robarts: Mixed. the retracts work well, but their struts - have you looked at the scissors on their struts? A lot of them look like they're made from old steel beer cans. But maybe they don't do them like that any more. And I think they are still over priced, but not as badly as CJM.

Spring-Air: Now we're getting into the paranoid's country. My country. With Robart, CJM, B&D, so forth, if you blow an air line, or just run out of air pressure you're in trouble. Time to belly your beautiful plane. Not so with Spring-Air. Lose air pressure the gear comes down. Wonderful security blanket.

B&D: Complete set of tricycle gear for a 15 pound plane, including hoses, connectors, air tank, and control valve. $80 from Tower. Take that Mr. Robart/CJM/Spring-Air!

Bill.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:25 PM
BOMBERGUY
My Feedback: (5)

Default Stafford B-24

Hi Marc,

Yes, get it built and flying. I've got Saito 30's in mine and it has lots of power and it sounds great. I did mine as the Strawberry ***** and it was an old kit with the Goldberg retracts. I also have a ton of construction pictures that I can send you, maybe they can help you out. I used one servo for each engine mounted behind the firewall and made up my own fuel tanks.

As for pictures of it flying, go to the scale forum here at RCU and look up the NATS PHOTOS thread. Mr. Lanterman posted 123 Nats Photos on the net, 7 of them are of my B-24.

Send me your email address and I'll send you the construction photos.

Bomberguy
Old 07-16-2003, 12:26 AM
Marc_Haase

Bomber, Bill and Uncle...:

Thanks for the info...excellent pictures by the way Bomberguy..Your bird looks good!

Ya, not to happy bout the price tag that goes with the CJM, but they sure look good ! and stout too.

I have the fuse framed and starting to skin, but gotta get nosewheel hardware in before going any further on the nose. Gotta borrow digital camera and start taken snapshots along the way.

I was leaning towards the 30 OS or saito four stroke if I can work a deal on the lot of em....more power is always better then not enough.

How did you handle the mufflers Bomber? Uncle (I believe) left em off and went with straight pipe with no problems.. except I was wondering if there was a problem pressurizing the fuel tanks adequately....

Also Bomber, you using a 7 or 8 channel? I intend on having everything work, so looks like 8 chanels will be necessary.

I got my plans duplicated today. They where getting worn already, so I got a couple clean copies and an scan file to go with it. Now I can print them at the office on the large scale plotter and print small sections on 8.5x11 for sanity's sake.

My email is [email protected], if you have construction pictures that would help, I would be forever grateful.

Will keep you all updated as I intend to keep pushing till I hear those four engines purring along.....

Marc

p.s. Thanks for closing that post Bill....and let those who care know that this is an excellent site and I will support in any way I can.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:40 AM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi,
i built mine back in 81 and used os 25 2 strokes weiged 12 pounds flies great.still alive and well.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:47 AM
doom
My Feedback: (4)

I used os 26s on mine plenty of power,But i also fly a b-17 with 2strokes and it sounds great,so If I had,nt got such a great deal
on the os engines,I would have probley used 2strokes on the
b-24 as well.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:09 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Mine is powered by Mecoa .15's and weighs just over 13 pounds.and i sweat out the takeoffs.it uses all of the 450' of paved runway at my field.and I love it! thats SCALE!
Old 08-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Marc_Haase

Scale:
Got any photos.... Let me know. building mine and the more pictures the better.
Thanks
Old 08-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Default Stafford B-24

What do you guys think a NIB kit, complete with the retracts, would be worth? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:41 PM
Marc_Haase

Warjet:
Kit is (um er was.....not producing now) $299 with out retracts. You talking Golberg retracts? or better. I just got CJM retracts for $235...retail was $325. So I figure kit with low end wire retracts would retail for $400, retail that is. Sell online: maybe $300

For what its worth.

Marc
Old 08-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Default Stafford B-24

The retracts look like the Goldberg's (cream-colored body, mechanical movement). Thanks!