Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Differential thrust/motor control?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Differential thrust/motor control?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
mike_o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential thrust/motor control?

Greetings from a new airplane owner!

I have just purchased and assembled a Multiplex Twin Star 2. I have mounted a couple of 2822 size 1400KV BL motors and I'm considering to mix the rudder signal into the motors for several reasons:

1) Better steering on taxiway
2) Possibility to balance non-identical ESCs
3) Better air control or possibility to ditch rudder servo alltogether.

I'm pretty new to fixed wing RC aircrafts, but I have build and flow an rc quadrocopter, several rc cars (driven, not flown), and I'm a certified privat pilot (PPL). I don't know if any of that will do me any good with respect to the Twin Star So I'm seeking advice:

a) Should I drop the diff motor control idea?
b) What would be the easiest way to program my Graupner MX16s for that? Currently, I run the second ESC on a separate channel, no 8 set up as "slave" of ch 1. I can't get the mixer to work on the slave...
c) Would 2S or 3S LiPo be the safest newbie set-up?

Inputs will be appreciated

Edit 4. Jan:
I have solved the diff trust mixing (using the 3 free mixers), and I have read elsewhere that the diff thrust is commonly used, so I'll stick to that.
Cracking the graupner mix-functionality, I also went for 50% diff-ailerons, flaperons, and 20% aileron-rudder mixing. Furthermore, straigthening the motor mounts, I fit and balanced 8x3.8 cw/ccw props which seems to provide a lot of push at 2S LiPo, so I think I'll stay with that for now. It keeps the weight down to 910gr RTF w battery, and I guess that low weight must also add a a benefit if crashing or landing hard....