Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Rich Uravitch 52" OV-10 Bronco

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Rich Uravitch 52" OV-10 Bronco

Old 05-14-2010, 08:14 PM
JoeMamma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rich Uravitch 52" OV-10 Bronco

Anybody know if the 52" version is still available ? I searched the net, but all I could find was the 80+" version.

I'm retiring a 10 year old ragged Twin Star with a pair of great running OS .26 4-strokes.

These two engines have both been asking me about a new home ! I don't want to let them down.

There sure aren't a lot of choices out there for a smaller scale twin that can use these engines.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe M.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rich Uravitch 52

Hobby Hangar has them, listed under Scale Tech.

google, hobby hangar/scale tech
Old 05-15-2010, 10:29 AM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

As Carlos says, Hobby Hangar still has both the kit and the ARF listed.

I'd have a bit of concern about using the 26 4S engines: my little Bronco flew OK with a pair of TT 25 Pro engines, but getting off the ground required a fairly long takeoff run. Our field is pretty rough, so if you're flying off smooth ground that might not be a problem. I guess it all depends on the relative power output of smaller 4S vs. 2S engines.

If you go the kit route, I'd extend the wings out one or two rib bays. That'll give you a bit more lift, and not noticably detract from the appearance of the plane.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Carlos Murphy

I had Thunder Tiger .36's on my first and Axi 2820-10's on my second, both flew great.

On my electric version, the cowls last for ever and I didn't have to butcher them for the glow engines.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Mine is at least 10 years old and screams on two Os 25 FSR, perfect combination -

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70767.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	1436542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68306.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1436543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72091.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1436544  
Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 AM
JoeMamma

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Do any of you know if both of the engine mountings on the 52 inch version are canted slightly outwards ? To me, this design seems to be the trick if you lose an engine on any twin. It will/may still fly. This is one feature I now look for on any twin.

I consider myself to be an average to good flyer, but a few years ago I unexplainably lost power on an engine on an 80" A-26. I could not believe has fast she "piled drived" into the ground before I could detect and react to that dead engine. Both engines were mounted straight ahead on that one. Over the years, I've learned to constantly be on guard and to constantly use the rudder on any twin, but on this A-26, it just happened too fast.

I now have four flying twins in my hanger; an electric P-38, my good 'ol Twin Star with a pair of OS .26 4-strokes, a recently completed electric powered Hanger 9 DeHavilland Twin Otter and a Seagull Models Dual Ace powered with a pair of OS .52 4-strokes.

I've lost one engine (or motor) on each of these planes (except for the Twin Otter) at least once or twice, but they still continue to fly. All of these models have both of the engine mountings canted slightly outwards. Again, the outward canting design seems to work well.

The Dual Ace absolutely amazes me. The first time I lost an engine, I was in the air with four different fliers, so I couldn't hear the dropped engine, but, I immediately noticed a slight turn. She was still flying great, so I reached down and put in a few clicks of opposite rudder trim. As she flies by, I then saw one of engines was dead. She's still flying great. I continued to fly it and (maybe stupidly) even tried a loop. Simply amazing ! This is one twin where I have absolutely no fear of losing an engine.

Anywazzzz, could one of you fellahs that have this aircraft take a look at your building plans to see if the engine mountings are slightly canted outwards ? If it's an ARF, just stand over the top and look down. Even if it's only 1 degree, you should be able to spot it.

Twins............twice the cost, twice the problems, but I love 'em !

Thanks Again,
Joe M.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 AM
CanDo

Joe,
The right engine has ~3° right thrust and the left has 0°. Because of the torque effect, the left engine will want to yaw the plane to the left automatically so you don't need to add any left thrust to that engine. I can drop either engine to an idle in flight to approximate an engine out condition and these thrust settings work very well. My Bronco has a couple of OS .25FX motors that really motivate it. Have fun!
-Les-

Name:	Vt58343.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	1438342  
Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

I did not build my OV-10 originally (see post above), so not sure, but I like a little 'outhrust" too. I have 4 or 5 multi engine planes and love the sound. I always try to use reliable engines and have very few flameouts. If and when I do I usually just cut the other and land. In fact, on the tri-engine below, I have the throttle cut off switch on tx set to cut one or both outboard engines leaving the center running -

Name:	Bz77586.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	1438344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87924.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	1438345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47848.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	1438346  
Old 05-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Carlos Murphy

I ordered the cockpit kt for my second plane, tossed the pilots, they were made of solid resin and too heavy so I used World Model pilots but repainted them.

No engine-outs with VOLTERS...haven't flown SLIMERS for some time now, save a bunch on paper towels.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM
JoeMamma

I had kinda forgotten about this OV-10. Instead, I purchased and completed a couple of other twins.

Just got my Model Airplane News in the mail today. Was surprised to see an ad for the 52” OV-10. It’s still a Rich Uravitch design.....still from a company called Scale Tech.....still available from hobbyhanger.com

Seeing the ad kinda re-peaked my interest.

Had always been planning on using a pair of my older, great running OS .26 4-strokes, but I’m slowly converting over to electric. My fleet is now about 50% gas/glow and 50% electric.

At the hobbyhanger.com website they are still showing the Robarts air gear as an option for this OV-10, but I’m turning away from air retracts and slowly going to all electrics. Just my choice.

Maybe I can get a set of EFlite electric retracts to work in this OV-10, but wait.......also in the same magazine is another ad for all-new Robart electric retracts coming by the end of the year............but will they work ??

Joe M.