Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Twin ESC set up help...

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin ESC set up help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
greggK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin ESC set up help...

On a PBY I am running 1 Lipo connected to two ESC's (parallel) then to each motor. The left ESC is hooked up to the AUX2 channel WITH THE RED WIRE DISCONNECTED! The right ESC is hooked up to the THRO channel. Its just a 3S setup so I am using the built in BEC from the RIGHT THRO ESC. All work will and differential thrust works well to however...

Question, IS IT OK TO CONNECT BOTH ESC TO THE RECIEVER WITHOUT REMOVING THE RED+ WIRE FROM ONE OF THE ESC'S?

I ask this ? b/c during a recent 5 minute flight the left engine (AUX2) went to idle with the stick near 1/2, plane spiraled down but saved it at the last second when i went to idle on throttle. I'm "thinking" the ESC went to Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) for some reason? I charged the battery (2200 mAh) and it indicated I only used 800 mAh. The ESC is a Electrifly SilverSeries 25AMP ESC/. Doesn't make sense eh...?

Wondering if the left ESC not having the + wire connected has something to do with it? Unfortunately I cant program the ESC like my Castles... could also be defective. Thanks for input.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Saturn5
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Twin ESC set up help...

Ok two motors two esc one battery cut the red wire out on the left esc then used one channel .Three Is most com . The way it will work if you used two of every thing batterys ESC /MOTORS you can then used two channles
Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 PM
mboland

I have just read of startup problems with the setup you have, which was apparently due to the ESC being set to soft start. They need to be hard starts. But that is not your problem.

The power supply for the RX running off one ESC is quite OK although a separate supply, via a ubec or battery probably would be better, but not essential. Running 2 bec's into the one supply is not recommended.

The curious part is 'going to idle' or do you mean it just cut ?

Sounds like you might need to ground run it for 6 minutes to check what is happening.
This way you can determine if one esc is getting too hot, maybe different air flows, or hopefully some other anomaly you can spot.

Just a thought, are they both set to exactly the same battery requirements? One isn't set to Nixx and not LiPo, or number of cells??

Ground runs, definitely ground runs, find the problem, and fix it before flying.
Much better than sorting through wreckage.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a four ESC's all Y'ed together for my 146" halifax all going to the throttle channel and have had no problems. Why not just put the ESC's on a Y harness??? Cut the red wire and run a seperate battery for the rx...

Ty
Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 PM
greggK

Well I have them on separate channels so i can have differential thrust steering... Maybe I will static test it and then switch it to some Thunderbirds.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 AM
rvnrcer
My Feedback: (4)

Hi,

Just a guess but maybe the draw from two motors is too much for the battery and the left ESC went to low voltage shut down. What gauge wire is on the battery? it should be at least larger gauge than wires going to ESC's. If you have a second battery, try using separate battery packs for each motor.

Keith
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 AM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: rvnrcer
Hi,

Just a guess but maybe the draw from two motors is too much for the battery and the left ESC went to low voltage shut down. What gauge wire is on the battery? it should be at least larger gauge than wires going to ESC's. If you have a second battery, try using separate battery packs for each motor.

Keith

That could be a possibility. Anything, longer power leads to left ESC, less than ideal solder connection, a slightly more finicky ESC could be the culprit.

I agree with a previous post, ground test.

If you can do it, without too much fanagling, use a separate battery to run the receiver, AND use separate batteries to drive the ESC/motors, and ground test. Make sure the batteries are identical and fully charged. Ground test a while. Then recharge batts. Keep track of which batteries were where. Note how much each battery was drained. Then flip-flop batteries, and repeat test. What this will do. It should tell you if the left ESC/motor is drawing more power than the right. By flip-flopping batteries before second test, it eliminates the difference in batteries.