RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/)
-   -   Please help me identify this 25 + year old plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/10187426-please-help-me-identify-25-year-old-plane.html)

davidgeorge212 12-09-2010 06:48 PM

Please help me identify this 25 + year old plane

1 Attachment(s)
This is I believe some form of a cessna 310 that my dad started building probably 25+ years ago and never finished. I think he was claiming that he built it from a set of plans he got from some place but he doesnt remember really where. I know that doesnt give a lot of info to go off of but I just thought I would post on the chance that someone out there might know. It has about a 44 inch wing span and about 34 inches from nose to tail. It does not have retracts, the landing gear are fixed bent wire screwed into the wing like a trainer. Looks like a couple of .15 to .20 size engines should go in it. If there is something else that might help identify what or where this plane was built from let me know and maybe I can provide it.

David

davidgeorge212 12-09-2010 07:26 PM

RE: Please help me identify this 25 + year old plane

Of course if I dont get a reply here, I should have probably posted in the plans/scratch build section.

Ram-bro 12-09-2010 08:04 PM

it looks like maybe a royal kit.......especially if its that old/ What is the wingspan? There is a Royal thread where you can post the same pics

davidgeorge212 12-09-2010 08:26 PM

Its about a 44 inch wingspan

davidgeorge212 12-09-2010 08:31 PM

My dad gave me more information. He says it was a set of full size fold out plans from the 70's that was published in a tabloid style magazine on newspaper print.

davidgeorge212 12-09-2010 08:38 PM

Well, my dad has seemed to have looked through his collection and actually found the tabloid the plans were in. It turns out the tabloid newspaper was called RC Sportsman from the February 1977 issue. I opened it up and found all the plans still in good shape and the article about it in the magazine. It is a cessna 310 II designed by Dennis Calvin. Good to finally have figured this one out. Now someday I need to get around to finishing it.

Ram-bro 12-09-2010 08:49 PM

would loe to see those plan......how large a magazine collection does your dad have

davidgeorge212 12-09-2010 09:15 PM

Its a pretty nice collection. My dad was in the hobby about 30 years during the late 60's, 70's and 80's. He did slow down on it for a long time but got back in when I became interested in it. I love looking through all the different magazines he has because in my opinon they are a lot neater than the ones produced today. A lot of them have neat looking full size fold out plans with detailed articles on how to build each plane for each months issue. The articles are a lot more interesting as well, I just got done reading a real interesting article about the history of SIG mfg. and talked about how Glen Sigafoose got started in the hobby and when he opend up sig mfg company. I wish todays magazines were as interesting and neat as the ones back in the 70's and 80's. Todays magazines are just filled with advertisments wanting you to buy every thing.

davidgeorge212 12-09-2010 09:18 PM

Boy, If I do anything with this plane, the first thing on the agenda is to give it a good dusting and cleaning. It has collected quite a bit of dirt over a 30 year life span of hanging up in the basement:D

jlingrel 12-10-2010 05:05 AM

That looks a lot like a Cessna 310R. It is the same as the airplane (real one) that I got my multi rating in. We always discussed those tanks and wondered if they would support their own weight in flight.

John

stuk_at_work 02-28-2011 03:27 PM

David,

I just got a "short kit" with plans for this plane, but not the accompanying construction article. Any chance you could scan me a copy and send it to my email? Again, I have the plans, just not the construction article. Please "PM" me.

Thanks.